Nor Cal GDA Teams - What's Next

Classy as always on the girls Quakes side to do it with an email and not a call!
I don't know what went on behind the scenes, but I'm not sure why the Quakes didn't work with the coaching staff so that the alternative plan for the girls could be presented at the time of this announcement. They are paying the coaches through June and nothing is going on now.

Ex EQ director has not made an attempt to keep his players around, including key players. The future doesn’t look too good and their might be a lot of movement to Thorns and MVLA.

Ex EQ director has not made an attempt to keep his players around, including key players. The future doesn’t look too good and their might be a lot of movement to Thorns and MVLA.
It will definitely be interesting to see if other clubs benefit from player movement, not sure how many would go to Thorns or be welcomed back after the DA fiasco. Additionally other Clubs besides MVLA could also benefit as not all of the Quakes girls are from the peninsula throughout the organization. If the teams stay together and migrate to Barca and run in NPL that would make some interesting games as well

It will definitely be interesting to see if other clubs benefit from player movement, not sure how many would go to Thorns or be welcomed back after the DA fiasco. Additionally other Clubs besides MVLA could also benefit as not all of the Quakes girls are from the peninsula throughout the organization. If the teams stay together and migrate to Barca and run in NPL that would make some interesting games as well
Most interesting part may be those clubs displacing their current kids without a new player even actually trying out. Or sending them to 2nd teams. Hopefully all that is done in the right manner at least

SJ Earthquakes
Dear players and parents:

First and foremost, we hope that you are all safe and healthy while we all stay home to fight the ongoing pandemic that has affected all of our lives.

In the past few weeks, U.S. Soccer announced that they eliminated the Development Academy for both the boys and girls. This decision came down quickly amid the shutdown of all soccer leagues across the country. As with every business, this pandemic has caused us to evaluate all of our operations, including our youth soccer development programs. We have spent the past few weeks examining our options for the future of the Earthquakes youth soccer platform, and after much deliberation, we have made the difficult decision that the Earthquakes Girls Academy program will cease operations, effective immediately.

Over the past three years, we have been consistently impressed by the work ethic, positive attitude and humbleness that all of our players and coaches have displayed. You, the players, have been outstanding ambassadors for the San Jose Earthquakes and the local community. We appreciate all that you have done for our organization and will not forget all that you have achieved both individually and collectively. You won national championships, tournaments and many of you earned the great honor of representing your country with various national teams.

We know that it is a difficult time for everyone and that this decision will create more uncertainty for you. We want to let all of you, both players and parents, know that we are here for you as you transition to a new challenge. If you need any support or guidance on the next steps for your future, we are here to help. You proved over the past three years that you are among the top players in the country and carried yourselves the right way. We know that you have a bright future ahead both in soccer and in life.

For all the parents, thank you for allowing us the opportunity to coach and learn from your children. We appreciate all your support and commitment and for helping your children achieve their goals. Our staff will work with you to help find the best option for your daughters as they continue in their soccer career.

We also want to let the parents know that we will be refunding all payments (registration/training fees) made since training was halted on March 12. All the money from March 12 through the end of the 2020 season will be returned. Our staff will coordinate those refunds with you. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Finally, we also wanted to let you know that we will keep all girls’ development academy coaches on staff through the end of June. They will be available to help with the transition as well during this time.

We want to thank you again for everything you have done for our organization. We are proud to have worked with all of you and wish you luck. Stay healthy and let us know if there is anything we can do for you now or in the future.

Sincerely,

Jesse Fioranelli Chris Leitch
General Manager Technical Director

Ouch! that doesn't sound good. I wonder if they're going to shut the entire EQ girls side down or try to go ecnl or some other league. I did hear that all the MLS clubs that had girls teams were trying to get a league club together but again, that was just hearsay.

Unfortunate but not surprising.

Will be interesting where Deza ends up and that will trigger what those kids do.

it's interesting and just thought of this...When EQ started on the girls side, I had heard the Pat Uriz from mustang was in the works in getting Deza to come over but the opportunity to be tied to a MLS club and GNT seemed more appealing at the time. I can't imagine how a mustang deza team would look like as it's very political, as most upper echelon teams are. I feel bad for the players as it's gonna be a bloody hornets nest trying to find a club with all that's going on. Best of luck to all of them!

it's interesting and just thought of this...When EQ started on the girls side, I had heard the Pat Uriz from mustang was in the works in getting Deza to come over but the opportunity to be tied to a MLS club and GNT seemed more appealing at the time. I can't imagine how a mustang deza team would look like as it's very political, as most upper echelon teams are. I feel bad for the players as it's gonna be a bloody hornets nest trying to find a club with all that's going on. Best of luck to all of them!

BBA would be the worst option for the Quakes girls players. After HP and MC left BBA to go to Quakes, it’s been a shit show with PM in charge. Higher cost of playing. PM undercuts coaches salaries to keep revenue from each team for himself. No real uniform deal. Inconsistent training fields locations. No leadership. BBA even had San Martin fields taken away due to lack of payment. Also, don’t forget players have been leaving BBA recently anyways. AD and HP can rebuild girls club at BBA, but club has some serious issues, especially on boys side.

Players will follow AD. But even AD would have a hard time “developing” players under NPL banner only. They all should and will end up at MVLA or Thorns if the only option is a NPL BBA.

BBA would be the worst option for the Quakes girls players. After HP and MC left BBA to go to Quakes, it’s been a shit show with PM in charge. Higher cost of playing. PM undercuts coaches salaries to keep revenue from each team for himself. No real uniform deal. Inconsistent training fields locations. No leadership. BBA even had San Martin fields taken away due to lack of payment. Also, don’t forget players have been leaving BBA recently anyways. AD and HP can rebuild girls club at BBA, but club has some serious issues, especially on boys side.

Players will follow AD. But even AD would have a hard time “developing” players under NPL banner only. They all should and will end up at MVLA or Thorns if the only option is a NPL BBA.
AD has a great relationship with Surf. He should consider coming down to Socal to coach. We can use some good coaching in Socal grassroots arena. I would like to see him with Eagles or Real Socal. Great place to start! What would it take for him to leave the Bay Area?

What about Los Gatos? New (some would say strong) leadership. Obviously not a powerhouse on girls side right now and maybe no access to ECNL. I don’t know of any history between the groups, so not sure if that’s even a remote possibility.

Most interesting part may be those clubs displacing their current kids without a new player even actually trying out. Or sending them to 2nd teams. Hopefully all that is done in the right manner at least

the lower 1/3rd of every Ecnl team should be very worried. This is never done in the right manner.

What about Los Gatos? New (some would say strong) leadership. Obviously not a powerhouse on girls side right now and maybe no access to ECNL. I don’t know of any history between the groups, so not sure if that’s even a remote possibility.
Would say that would be similar to Almaden, some nice players/teams, but not an easy get to in and out of for practices. What about the facilities to train, wouldn't think they would be abundant?

I
Would say that would be similar to Almaden, some nice players/teams, but not an easy get to in and out of for practices. What about the facilities to train, wouldn't think they would be abundant?

I think people need to remember to bring in the quality and personality of AD you will need to clean house potentially and give him full power. Maybe because of the current situation he will drop some demands but that makes it more difficult. I've heard he was on 150k at Quakes so getting that number or close to it at this time of the year will be tough. Hopefully he ends up somewhere solid since he does well and plays exciting soccer to watch.

I agree Thorns/MVLA bottom 1/3 should keep their eyes wide open on the situation. It's tough because if you get displaced late, you may not have a real chance to find another ECNL option potentially.

I

I think people need to remember to bring in the quality and personality of AD you will need to clean house potentially and give him full power. Maybe because of the current situation he will drop some demands but that makes it more difficult. I've heard he was on 150k at Quakes so getting that number or close to it at this time of the year will be tough. Hopefully he ends up somewhere solid since he does well and plays exciting soccer to watch.

I agree Thorns/MVLA bottom 1/3 should keep their eyes wide open on the situation. It's tough because if you get displaced late, you may not have a real chance to find another ECNL option potentially.
I was thinking more of what the club was like not a landing spot for Deza. Wonder what clubs are thinking/saying to players and parents and if it will stick when the rubber hits the road

I was thinking more of what the club was like not a landing spot for Deza. Wonder what clubs are thinking/saying to players and parents and if it will stick when the rubber hits the road
lol. OK, got it.

Almaden is a decent cub. A club that would need to combine with another local club to really hit a good level though. Non ECNL clubs that are solid in South Bay are Santa Clara Sporting, Palo Alto, PSV union. Los Gatos is very up and coming since they have quality leadership now/money in that area. Lots of questions to be answered in the next 6 week or so.

Quakes will become Bay Area Barca and go NPL. Quakes are telling their players over the next few days. Really tough how this played out as there were some good people there and I don't think they were treated with the respect they deserved. I think they will definitely lose players.

Quakes will become Bay Area Barca and go NPL. Quakes are telling their players over the next few days. Really tough how this played out as there were some good people there and I don't think they were treated with the respect they deserved. I think they will definitely lose players.
Got it. Certainly makes sense if it occurs.

Unfortunate for the players and coaches. They had a good program going but I guess the risk when you join up with MLS teams where girls soccer is far from the priority in most cases.

AD has a great relationship with Surf. He should consider coming down to Socal to coach. We can use some good coaching in Socal grassroots arena. I would like to see him with Eagles or Real Socal. Great place to start! What would it take for him to leave the Bay Area?
I believe his daughter has 2 more years at Cal. I'd be surprised if he made such a move now if he has a reasonable option to stay in the Bay Area.

Got it. Certainly makes sense if it occurs.

Unfortunate for the players and coaches. They had a good program going but I guess the risk when you join up with MLS teams where girls soccer is far from the priority in most cases.

True. Not surprising. Quakes hire expensive coach; who brings in expensive players; DA shutters; and now the Quakes have no revenue coming in. They didn't give much support to the girls, but it still is a shame.

Back