No Soccer - Bad / No School - Catastrophic!

"effectively cannot reopen unless certain conditions are met: privately operated publicly funded charter schools are shut down"

That is part of their ridiculous demands.

The reasoning for that one has to be that charters schools make the public schools bad in general. And especially in this environment if schools can do only online courses.

My DD goes to a charter school and when things shut down in March, they were immediately up and running with online classes every day of the week. They had online classes with every one of their teachers.

When I talked to the parents in our public school district, their kids basically got nothing.

That union is out for itself. It is not interesting in parents or kids. All about power and money.
Wow, could they be anymore tone deaf? Any bets on when we see, "Defund the Teachers"?

That's fair, and I don't blame you for doing what you think is best for your child. It sounds like your making a choice, but not trying to force your personal risk assessment on my kids and prevent my kids from being physically present at school. What I have a problem with is when others try to project their fears on my family's good faith choices.

Now to answer you question...nothing is certain in life. We all make our individual risk assessments. My risk assessment is based on actual data regarding very limited child infections (and virtually no serious health issues other than for health compromised children) and the lack of evidence for any material child spread of the virus...4+ months into the pandemic. I give pretty much zero credibility to any expert projections of the virus, its mostly pure speculation and time and time again has been wrong. By my very nature I'm just not a "what if" person without any current quantitative evidence that something is possible in the future. I'm also a skeptic by nature and give very little consideration for theories developed in a lab or other closed setting. I'm a "show me, don't tell me" type of person.

My kid dying is a pretty harsh question. My son is at far more risk driving him to practice, wading in a river fishing, launching himself 30+ feet on a bmx bike or doing backflips off any sort of surface or object known to man.

Best of luck to you and your child in whatever risky endeavors you and her undertake.
I fully agree with this and everyone should do what they feel best for their family. And nobody should project onto others, judge, or dictate what they should do.
I unfortunately have to be more careful because my son and husband have asthma (though the research on this is unclear in re to Covid). I choose to be cautious until I know more. But I would never have that expectation of anyone else.

Teachers love helping children but not when it kills them, and especially not when teaching can be done online. It’s so cowardly of all of you to demand that others risk their lives just because you can’t handle a little responsibility for your child’s education.

Regardless, I’m going to rely on the opinions of experts, and not Chuck Woolery and his merry little band of anonymous whiner MAGATs who hang out here.
Does it make sense for a certain number of teachers be furloughed or lose jobs now that they are moving to online classes? Certainly, less teachers are needed for online only instruction.

I fully agree with this and everyone should do what they feel best for their family. And nobody should project onto others, judge, or dictate what they should do.
I unfortunately have to be more careful because my son and husband have asthma (though the research on this is unclear in re to Covid). I choose to be cautious until I know more. But I would never have that expectation of anyone else.

Fair but what they've determined so far seems to indicate asthma (particularly in children) isn't a substantial risk enhancer. Your blood type and your race have more functionality. True story: my elder brother had asthma and a grass allergy. Almost died from an asthma attack during a soccer game. If my father didn't have an adrenaline shot in his medical bag, he might very well have died. That was the end of his soccer career too. Medicine's are better now but they still fail....asthma and soccer is an inherently risky activity particularly if combined with a local flora allergy.

Not the case at all. The threshold is how to minimize transmission of a virus that has greater morbidity and in instances greater mortality rates than the flu. Mortality is based upon the # of covid deaths divided by # of Covid cases. There is no vaccine unlike the flu, and greater hospitalizations across all demographics unlike the flu. Additionally, covid doesn’t have a “season “ unlike the flu. Meaning, transmission can and will occur regardless of weather. So, unless you are placing kids in a bubble and isolating them from their families they will not only contract the virus but be spreaders as well. To my knowledge, morbidity and mortality from vehicle accidents and playing soccer isn’t contagious. But maybe you know something I don’t. Comparing covid to the flu is irresponsible and become a political rallying point for some ridiculous reason. Personally, I wouldn’t want myself or my child to be a victim of either. But you do you.
Build a negative airflow room at home and huddle up in it for Christ's sake Karen - just stop whining for others do the same.

Teachers love helping children but not when it kills them, and especially not when teaching can be done online. It’s so cowardly of all of you to demand that others risk their lives just because you can’t handle a little responsibility for your child’s education.

Regardless, I’m going to rely on the opinions of experts, and not Chuck Woolery and his merry little band of anonymous whiner MAGATs who hang out here.
I see the clown car has arrived.

Does it make sense for a certain number of teachers be furloughed or lose jobs now that they are moving to online classes? Certainly, less teachers are needed for online only instruction.

Yes, so long as we start with the charter school teachers.

Build a negative airflow room at home and huddle up in it for Christ's sake Karen - just stop whining for others do the same.

A Karen is the person whining and demanding something unreasonable when they aren’t getting their way. That’s you in this scenario. Negative airflow?!? WTF are you talking about?

you are incorrect, mortality rate is not # of covid deaths divided by # covid cases. It's covid deaths divided by total people that had covid. Not everyone is getting tested and neither are the asymptomatic people. CDC even put out a new mortality rate that is similar to the flu. Even COVID deaths is up for debate, especially when we have health officials saying covid deaths doesnt mean the death was caused by COVID. Health officials even explained that even if someone had a week to live due to cancer and just got covid right now and died a week later, it will still be classified as a COVID death. The fact is 0 kids between 0-17 have died from COVID in california and hundreds of HEALTHY kids die from the flu every year. Thats with a vaccine available. make the old and sick stay home.
Umm, the # of covid cases is in reference to the # of positive people. So, you just confirmed what I said. Maybe you’re not familiar with scientific terminology. If you had cancer and died UNEXPECTEDLY in a car accident, guess what you’re cause of death would be MVA. Just because one has cancer doesn’t mean it’s imminently terminal. Covid related deaths leave a blueprint just like a gun shot. The cause of death has to be certified by a physician. Hospitals don’t get a bonus check for certifying a death as covid related. I wonder who might benefit from labeling it something else. Again, kids are not immune from covid, their numbers are climbing. I’m certainly not sure why it’s a selling point that they aren’t dying in large numbers. Again, we’re a few months into this virus, can’t compare YEARLY death rates to the flu just yet. Even the healthy and young contract and die from covid. Making old and sick people stay home is asinine. Especially when kids eventually go home too.

why start with charter school teachers?

1. They’re mostly non-union, so much easier to get rid of them and save legal fees making it happen. Plus, charter school teachers tend to be paid less and you get what you pay for.

2. Charter schools need to go for lots of reasons. When the racists here go ballistic about this post, well, that’s reason #1.

I don’t have a problem with distance/online learning in general. I have no problem taking a role in my kids education/development, etc. My issue is that the way many schools implemented online/distance learning left a lot to be desired. Much of the feedback was that some of the educators had real challenges with the technology, some mailed it in, and some were just not geared for it, classes were shorter...Just like some people can’t work from home. It’s not for everyone. The teaching profession is like any other, many great, good, and ok, some not so good or bad. I’m not banging on teachers, I believe as a group they are tremendously underpaid and under appreciated. From our experience and feedback from our kids the teaching experience was 50/50...half good, half bad. Some really struggled, and it’s not like people had much time to get comfortable, learn, and get up to speed. The biggest issue I see is that the model in these large districts is not built for online learning. Plus many rely on this system for meals and yes, care/oversight of their kids so that the parents can work.

Our kids school is private and they are doing both on-site and remote classes...full-time, option for each, and the flexibility to toggle between in person and remote...They spent the time from the original lock down to now figuring out their model, technology, and delivery. I was actually pleased with what they came up with and presented. It looks to be a better product. We shall see. TBH, if they had not we would have pulled the kids, not worth the money for a redo of March/April/May.

Umm, the # of covid cases is in reference to the # of positive people. So, you just confirmed what I said. Maybe you’re not familiar with scientific terminology. If you had cancer and died UNEXPECTEDLY in a car accident, guess what you’re cause of death would be MVA. Just because one has cancer doesn’t mean it’s imminently terminal. Covid related deaths leave a blueprint just like a gun shot. The cause of death has to be certified by a physician. Hospitals don’t get a bonus check for certifying a death as covid related. I wonder who might benefit from labeling it something else. Again, kids are not immune from covid, their numbers are climbing. I’m certainly not sure why it’s a selling point that they aren’t dying in large numbers. Again, we’re a few months into this virus, can’t compare YEARLY death rates to the flu just yet. Even the healthy and young contract and die from covid. Making old and sick people stay home is asinine. Especially when kids eventually go home too.
Umm, # of positive people are only people that were tested for COVID. thats why we had a 5% mortality rate at the beginning of this fear mongering. That is why it has dropped to like .2%. Unless you think this virus got weaker, the rate has decreased because more people got tested. Lets not pretend people that got killed by gunshots were listed as COVID deaths. Lets not pretend drug overdoses were not listed as COVID deaths, and yes when a doctor says a person is terminally ill with a week to live, getting COVID 3 days out was not the cause of death. It makes sense that we have a large number of "COVID deaths" when we add that label to people who dont have much longer to live. Especially when the guidlines say you dont need a positive COVID test to label a death certificate as a COVID death. These are facts. Sorry but i have a problem saying someone possibly dying WITH COVID as a COVID death when it determines whether we should shut down our economy as well as adversely effect the health of people quarantining themselves either due to mental health or delayed elective care.

Fair but what they've determined so far seems to indicate asthma (particularly in children) isn't a substantial risk enhancer. Your blood type and your race have more functionality. True story: my elder brother had asthma and a grass allergy. Almost died from an asthma attack during a soccer game. If my father didn't have an adrenaline shot in his medical bag, he might very well have died. That was the end of his soccer career too. Medicine's are better now but they still fail....asthma and soccer is an inherently risky activity particularly if combined with a local flora allergy.
Sorry to hear about your brother's experience. My son's asthma is not allergy or excercise induced. Only viruses/respiratory illnesses. He's also 14, so I'm still undecided if I feel comfortable that he's protected from this virus because he's a "kid".
But, there is not much information on covid and asthma,especially in younger people. COPD is one of the top three risk factors. I'm hoping there will be more concrete information soon.

Back