No Soccer - Bad / No School - Catastrophic!

MicPaPa

GOLD
We can find alternatives to youth sports. There have been many good suggestions for replacing the physical part of club soccer, it's the social and emotional part that is a challenge.

But, the more serious problem is schools not reopening. Kids must have the structured daily academic environment that school provides, not only for continued learning, but also social and emotional needs...this is not easily replaced, not should it be. Kids have been out of school since early March, returing to school is a must. School is as essential, or even more so, as any Costco or Walmart.

The fact that not reopening schools is weakly supported, at best, by science and data should concern parents...but, the below fact that LAUSD has made school reopening contingent on political demands should set all parents hair on fire!

We can find alternatives to youth sports. There have been many good suggestions for replacing the physical part of club soccer, it's the social and emotional part that is a challenge.

But, the more serious problem is schools not reopening. Kids must have the structured daily academic environment that school provides, not only for continued learning, but also social and emotional needs...this is not easily replaced, not should it be. Kids have been out of school since early March, returing to school is a must. School is as essential, or even more so, as any Costco or Walmart.

The fact that not reopening schools is weakly supported, at best, by science and data should concern parents...but, the below fact that LAUSD has made school reopening contingent on political demands should set all parents hair on fire!

I thought they were teaching because of how much they love helping children.

If schools refuse to reopen, all employees should be laid off, aside from teachers and skeleton crews, watch how fast they open.

The sick part is during Covid-19, all closed school employees will continue to be paid by millions of tax payers who've lost jobs and businesses due to Covid-19 and kids staying home.

Hey @met61 serious question. Do you think it’s healthy that kids nowadays are essentially raised by schools and don’t spend much time with their nuclear families? With my daughters cohort, I have observed several kids get dropped off to school early and picked up late. Oftentimes it seems that the only quality time families have with their kids is transporting them to and from school.

Do you think this forced closure of schools could be beneficial in enhancing the family bond in the nuclear family and mitigating some of the psychological damage that will inevitably result from being raised by an education factory?

If schools refuse to reopen, all employees should be laid off, aside from teachers and skeleton crews, watch how fast they open.

The sick part is during Covid-19, all closed school employees will continue to be paid by millions of tax payers who've lost jobs and businesses due to Covid-19 and kids staying home.
Are you trying to say teachers are not heroes that sacrifice everything to help children in need?

@met61....let's say schools are open and a teacher gets covid. I would assume the teacher would go into quarantine for a period of time. Teachers see +/- 150 students per day, would all 150 students need to go into quarantine as well? Would the 150 families of the students need to go on lock down? Would the 150 places of work where the parents earn a living need to go on lock down? What's the plan?

My wife is a teacher and a nice portion of her income goes to buying school supplies for her students as they aren't provided by the district. The sick part of your post is you give two shits about the safety of the school employees and students. All about money right?

@met61....let's say schools are open and a teacher gets covid. I would assume the teacher would go into quarantine for a period of time. Teachers see +/- 150 students per day, would all 150 students need to go into quarantine as well? Would the 150 families of the students need to go on lock down? Would the 150 places of work where the parents earn a living need to go on lock down? What's the plan?

My wife is a teacher and a nice portion of her income goes to buying school supplies for her students as they aren't provided by the district. The sick part of your post is you give two shits about the safety of the school employees and students. All about money right?
Amen. And, will the teachers get paid and enough sick leave while ill/quarantined?

Hey @met61 serious question. Do you think it’s healthy that kids nowadays are essentially raised by schools and don’t spend much time with their nuclear families? With my daughters cohort, I have observed several kids get dropped off to school early and picked up late. Oftentimes it seems that the only quality time families have with their kids is transporting them to and from school.

Do you think this forced closure of schools could be beneficial in enhancing the family bond in the nuclear family and mitigating some of the psychological damage that will inevitably result from being raised by an education factory?
I'd say you've over simplified a complex issue with many factors.

To address your point, I'd say a family's household income and means would be a main factor. Using your daughters cohort example; would you say your household income and means allows you more quality family time? Also, do you see those using before & after school care as a necessity or bad parenting?

To incorporate one of my points in case you missed it - sure, it would be great if all parents could be paid by their tax dollars to not work and stay home on end for quality family time.

M

So whats your suggestion? Keep kids in distance learning like LAUSD is doing (supposedly at least until the end of the year)? with maybe an hour of virtual instruction? If I'm basically homeschooling my kids anyway, id rather take the $2800 the state offers and do it myself. Supposedly Newsom put a stop to that for the 2020-2011 budget though. Either way teachers will take a hit. The 12k a year it takes to educate a kid in california is definitely not being spent well if we're just doing DL for the next year. Put 1 teacher in front of a camera for the entire year group class with a template lesson plan and you wouldnt need so many teachers. Unions are making our education cost really expensive.

The kids are being used as political pawns. It's sad and tragic. Underprivileged and at risk kids will be hurt the most. It is more the teachers' union than the teachers, although I've seen some SD Union school teachers celebrating on Facebook about how they don't have to do in person teaching in the fall.

It's pathetic how some people always find excuses about how things can't be done. Those people are low functioning and lazy, meanwhile other countries have no problem getting their kids back in school. What happened to the American work ethic? What makes teachers a special protected class that they don't have to go back to work when there are plenty of other employees with more risk of exposure that have been working this entire time? I find it ironic that teachers tell us how important they are to our children's future and how underpaid they are (if you actually look at their rate per hour, they're very well compensated), but when the rubber hits the road, they tap out. This is not to disparage the great teachers out there which are many, but to disparage those like my daughter's history teacher that told the kids not to bother him unless it was an emergency during online "learning" this past spring (just one of many examples I have of her lazy teachers). I've learned that the students are held to a much higher standard than teachers. The students need their own union.

Wrong, not all about money - all about income and taxes, do you know the difference?

Did you read the above article regarding LAUSD?

My wife is a teacher as well. Ironically, she is teaching distance learning summer school as I type. The fact that our wives have to spend personal income for supplies has a lot to do with mismanaged funds and unions, but that is a discussion for another time.

I support paying teachers engaged in distance learning and skeleton support crews until schools reopen. Explain why we continue to fully pay ALL school employees during closures?

As for health and safety. Let's say schools are open and that same teacher got the flu - we do the same we've always done for Covid-19. Do you acknowledge significantly more kids die of the flu than of Covid-19?

Lastly, do you give two shits about all the academic, physical & mental health ramifications from closing school and socially isolating kids...or the impact of loss of household income and businesses?

The kids are being used as political pawns. It's sad and tragic. Underprivileged and at risk kids will be hurt the most. It is more the teachers' union than the teachers, although I've seen some SD Union school teachers celebrating on Facebook about how they don't have to do in person teaching in the fall.

It's pathetic how some people always find excuses about how things can't be done. Those people are low functioning and lazy, meanwhile other countries have no problem getting their kids back in school. What happened to the American work ethic? What makes teachers a special protected class that they don't have to go back to work when there are plenty of other employees with more risk of exposure that have been working this entire time? I find it ironic that teachers tell us how important they are to our children's future and how underpaid they are (if you actually look at their rate per hour, they're very well compensated), but when the rubber hits the road, they tap out. This is not to disparage the great teachers out there which are many, but to disparage those like my daughter's history teacher that told the kids not to bother him unless it was an emergency during online "learning" this past spring (just one of many examples I have of her lazy teachers). I've learned that the students are held to a much higher standard than teachers. The students need their own union.
Thank you for these comments. I have seen workers at grocery stores and other essential businesses have to work and have not heard the same concerns about when they test positive. If Costco, Target and others can stay open with far more contact with unknown customers how can schools be kept closed? Schools and teachers are as essential as anything else. Teachers are well compensated on an hourly basis and should be asked to work like so many other essential sectors. Schools should seek guidance from other businesses that have already developed plans around positive tests and yet managed to stay open.

I'd say you've over simplified a complex issue with many factors.

To address your point, I'd say a family's household income and means would be a main factor. Using your daughters cohort example; would you say your household income and means allows you more quality family time? Also, do you see those using before & after school care as a necessity or bad parenting?

To incorporate one of my points in case you missed it - sure, it would be great if all parents could be paid by their tax dollars to not work and stay home on end for quality family time.
Be careful of what you ask for because you just might get it. I listen to this song almost daily to remind me not to get caught up in the rat race:

Lastly, do you give two shits about all the academic, physical & mental health ramifications from closing school and socially isolating kids...or the impact of loss of household income and businesses?
This. Unfortunately, there are far too many people, likely fed by the doomsday media, that have Covid "tunnel vision" and are incapable of seeing the complete picture.

This. Unfortunately, there are far too many people, likely fed by the doomsday media, that have Covid "tunnel vision" and are incapable of seeing the complete picture.
In my case it has nothing to do with the media. I’m just very risk averse when it comes to my kid. How can you be so certain? What if you are wrong, and your kid dies?

In my case it has nothing to do with the media. I’m just very risk averse when it comes to my kid. How can you be so certain? What if you are wrong, and your kid dies?
No risk, no reward. I think those who have the fear of the unknown really need to sit out until a vaccine comes. My dd is going to offer surf lessons so let me know if your down in socal. Also, she is now cliff jumping expert.

No risk, no reward. I think those who have the fear of the unknown really need to sit out until a vaccine comes. My dd is going to offer surf lessons so let me know if your down in socal. Also, she is now cliff jumping expert.

my daughter would love to get surfing lessons

That's fair, and I don't blame you for doing what you think is best for your child. It sounds like your making a choice, but not trying to force your personal risk assessment on my kids and prevent my kids from being physically present at school. What I have a problem with is when others try to project their fears on my family's good faith choices.

Now to answer you question...nothing is certain in life. We all make our individual risk assessments. My risk assessment is based on actual data regarding very limited child infections (and virtually no serious health issues other than for health compromised children) and the lack of evidence for any material child spread of the virus...4+ months into the pandemic. I give pretty much zero credibility to any expert projections of the virus, its mostly pure speculation and time and time again has been wrong. By my very nature I'm just not a "what if" person without any current quantitative evidence that something is possible in the future. I'm also a skeptic by nature and give very little consideration for theories developed in a lab or other closed setting. I'm a "show me, don't tell me" type of person.

My kid dying is a pretty harsh question. My son is at far more risk driving him to practice, wading in a river fishing, launching himself 30+ feet on a bmx bike or doing backflips off any sort of surface or object known to man.

Best of luck to you and your child in whatever risky endeavors you and her undertake.

That's fair, and I don't blame you for doing what you think is best for your child. It sounds like your making a choice, but not trying to force your personal risk assessment on my kids and prevent my kids from being physically present at school. What I have a problem with is when others try to project their fears on my family's good faith choices.

Now to answer you question...nothing is certain in life. We all make our individual risk assessments. My risk assessment is based on actual data regarding very limited child infections (and virtually no serious health issues other than for health compromised children) and the lack of evidence for any material child spread of the virus...4+ months into the pandemic. I give pretty much zero credibility to any expert projections of the virus, its mostly pure speculation and time and time again has been wrong. By my very nature I'm just not a "what if" person without any current quantitative evidence that something is possible in the future. I'm also a skeptic by nature and give very little consideration for theories developed in a lab or other closed setting. I'm a "show me, don't tell me" type of person.

My kid dying is a pretty harsh question. My son is at far more risk driving him to practice, wading in a river fishing, launching himself 30+ feet on a bmx bike or doing backflips off any sort of surface or object known to man.

Best of luck to you and your child in whatever risky endeavors you and her undertake.
My dd drives both of us and the risk of us both dying is my greatest fear. I have zero zero fear that my dd will catch or die from this BS!!!

Back