No Soccer - Bad / No School - Catastrophic!

Are you trying to say teachers are not heroes that sacrifice everything to help children in need?
No, I'm saying teachers are like all people, trying to scratch out a living to support a household and improve quality of life, call it heroic if you want. Some are fortunate enough to have a guaranteed income whether they work or not, others don't have that luxury.

I'd say income or lack thereof (
The kids are being used as political pawns. It's sad and tragic. Underprivileged and at risk kids will be hurt the most. It is more the teachers' union than the teachers, although I've seen some SD Union school teachers celebrating on Facebook about how they don't have to do in person teaching in the fall.

It's pathetic how some people always find excuses about how things can't be done. Those people are low functioning and lazy, meanwhile other countries have no problem getting their kids back in school. What happened to the American work ethic? What makes teachers a special protected class that they don't have to go back to work when there are plenty of other employees with more risk of exposure that have been working this entire time? I find it ironic that teachers tell us how important they are to our children's future and how underpaid they are (if you actually look at their rate per hour, they're very well compensated), but when the rubber hits the road, they tap out. This is not to disparage the great teachers out there which are many, but to disparage those like my daughter's history teacher that told the kids not to bother him unless it was an emergency during online "learning" this past spring (just one of many examples I have of her lazy teachers). I've learned that the students are held to a much higher standard than teachers. The students need their own union.
Exactly, well said.

Imagine all the office admin staff, school nurses, bus drivers and mechanics, janitors and maintenance workers, to name a few, sitting at home drawing full pay from the taxes of tens of millions who've lost jobs and businesses - it's pathetic. Not to mention all the District cost savings from, utilities, supplies, food, gasoline etc.

We already have a union for students - it's called Parents! we just need to unify and organize like a union.

Damn straight folks - we're being played.

My dd drives both of us and the risk of us both dying is my greatest fear. I have zero zero fear that my dd will catch or die from this BS!!!
My daughter got her license last October, so yeah that's the risky thing I've let any of my children do.

That's fair, and I don't blame you for doing what you think is best for your child. It sounds like your making a choice, but not trying to force your personal risk assessment on my kids and prevent my kids from being physically present at school. What I have a problem with is when others try to project their fears on my family's good faith choices.

Now to answer you question...nothing is certain in life. We all make our individual risk assessments. My risk assessment is based on actual data regarding very limited child infections (and virtually no serious health issues other than for health compromised children) and the lack of evidence for any material child spread of the virus...4+ months into the pandemic. I give pretty much zero credibility to any expert projections of the virus, its mostly pure speculation and time and time again has been wrong. By my very nature I'm just not a "what if" person without any current quantitative evidence that something is possible in the future. I'm also a skeptic by nature and give very little consideration for theories developed in a lab or other closed setting. I'm a "show me, don't tell me" type of person.

My kid dying is a pretty harsh question. My son is at far more risk driving him to practice, wading in a river fishing, launching himself 30+ feet on a bmx bike or doing backflips off any sort of surface or object known to man.

Best of luck to you and your child in whatever risky endeavors you and her undertake.
Again, well done.

In my case it has nothing to do with the media. I’m just very risk averse when it comes to my kid. How can you be so certain? What if you are wrong, and your kid dies?
I’m all about stats. Look at total deaths coronavirus for ages 1-24 compared to total deaths.

162 Coronavirus deaths compared to 16000 other deaths for ages 1-24. The three leading reasons for deaths for ages 1-24? Unintentional Injury, homicide, and Suicide.

So next time you leave your kid alone, or drive somewhere, or let them go outside by themself or with friends, or go to a movie, soccer game, walk anywhere, do anything, remember all those things are more dangerous per the CDC numbers then coronavirus.

Now if you are worried about your kid transmitting the disease to someone that is high risk or much much older than I can see people having a valid point to keep them out of school. Risk for the kids, not so much.

Attachments

• 06E7F494-F5CE-4950-A63F-8F3BF4B85B21.jpeg
    06E7F494-F5CE-4950-A63F-8F3BF4B85B21.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 7
So could you quantify what would be an unacceptable amount of risk for your kid to return to school?

The minimum threshold for people worried about their kids is that it has to at the very minimum be more risky than the flu season (which for kids, COVID isn't), more risky than driving to school each day, and more risky than playing soccer (which we assume most people on this board let their kids do). We don't shut down schools every year when there's a bad flu season. Otherwise, people are being irrational. Danger of kids transmitting to the parents, as others have said, is a completely different story.....

Teachers and anyone working for any school district should be declared essential and made to work. I’m tired of all the bitching and whining. If all the Agriculture workers, most of which are older, would stop working because of Covid then the country would not be able to feed itself. These hard working people come out to work everyday, risking their lives for the American people. It’s time the teachers do the same. Too bad that will never happen, because we live in a weak ass state that let’s the unions dictate what happens next. Hopefully Trump withholds funding and makes their ass get back to work.

The minimum threshold for people worried about their kids is that it has to at the very minimum be more risky than the flu season (which for kids, COVID isn't), more risky than driving to school each day, and more risky than playing soccer (which we assume most people on this board let their kids do). We don't shut down schools every year when there's a bad flu season. Otherwise, people are being irrational. Danger of kids transmitting to the parents, as others have said, is a completely different story.....
Not the case at all. The threshold is how to minimize transmission of a virus that has greater morbidity and in instances greater mortality rates than the flu. Mortality is based upon the # of covid deaths divided by # of Covid cases. There is no vaccine unlike the flu, and greater hospitalizations across all demographics unlike the flu. Additionally, covid doesn’t have a “season “ unlike the flu. Meaning, transmission can and will occur regardless of weather. So, unless you are placing kids in a bubble and isolating them from their families they will not only contract the virus but be spreaders as well. To my knowledge, morbidity and mortality from vehicle accidents and playing soccer isn’t contagious. But maybe you know something I don’t. Comparing covid to the flu is irresponsible and become a political rallying point for some ridiculous reason. Personally, I wouldn’t want myself or my child to be a victim of either. But you do you.

I thought they were teaching because of how much they love helping children.

Teachers love helping children but not when it kills them, and especially not when teaching can be done online. It’s so cowardly of all of you to demand that others risk their lives just because you can’t handle a little responsibility for your child’s education.

Regardless, I’m going to rely on the opinions of experts, and not Chuck Woolery and his merry little band of anonymous whiner MAGATs who hang out here.

Not the case at all. The threshold is how to minimize transmission of a virus that has greater morbidity and in instances greater mortality rates than the flu. Mortality is based upon the # of covid deaths divided by # of Covid cases. There is no vaccine unlike the flu, and greater hospitalizations across all demographics unlike the flu. Additionally, covid doesn’t have a “season “ unlike the flu. Meaning, transmission can and will occur regardless of weather. So, unless you are placing kids in a bubble and isolating them from their families they will not only contract the virus but be spreaders as well. To my knowledge, morbidity and mortality from vehicle accidents and playing soccer isn’t contagious. But maybe you know something I don’t. Comparing covid to the flu is irresponsible and become a political rallying point for some ridiculous reason. Personally, I wouldn’t want myself or my child to be a victim of either. But you do you.

Reading comprehension. I'm talking only about the people who are worried about the risk to the child. The ones who say "I'd never risk my kids like that." Very simple. The stats show it's not as risky for them as the flu. Seasonality doesn't work because they still send there kids to school and soccer practice during flu season. The vaccine doesn't work because it's not always effective (some times as low as 20%), If you are worried about your kid catching it, but don't have the same concern during flu season, putting them in a car (or driving one) or letting them play soccer (especially if they are GKs) then you are being irrational.

I did say that concern for spread to adults is a valid concern (both from an individual parent perspective and a societal one). But let me be clear: what we are essentially asking then is for the children to be harmed and to sacrifice themselves for the sake of adults (especially very older adults). It's also very different than the precedents we've set in the past where the maxim : "women and children first" used to prevail.

you are incorrect, mortality rate is not # of covid deaths divided by # covid cases. It's covid deaths divided by total people that had covid. Not everyone is getting tested and neither are the asymptomatic people. CDC even put out a new mortality rate that is similar to the flu. Even COVID deaths is up for debate, especially when we have health officials saying covid deaths doesnt mean the death was caused by COVID. Health officials even explained that even if someone had a week to live due to cancer and just got covid right now and died a week later, it will still be classified as a COVID death. The fact is 0 kids between 0-17 have died from COVID in california and hundreds of HEALTHY kids die from the flu every year. Thats with a vaccine available. make the old and sick stay home.

We can find alternatives to youth sports. There have been many good suggestions for replacing the physical part of club soccer, it's the social and emotional part that is a challenge.

But, the more serious problem is schools not reopening. Kids must have the structured daily academic environment that school provides, not only for continued learning, but also social and emotional needs...this is not easily replaced, not should it be. Kids have been out of school since early March, returing to school is a must. School is as essential, or even more so, as any Costco or Walmart.

The fact that not reopening schools is weakly supported, at best, by science and data should concern parents...but, the below fact that LAUSD has made school reopening contingent on political demands should set all parents hair on fire!

"effectively cannot reopen unless certain conditions are met: privately operated publicly funded charter schools are shut down"

That is part of their ridiculous demands.

The reasoning for that one has to be that charters schools make the public schools bad in general. And especially in this environment if schools can do only online courses.

My DD goes to a charter school and when things shut down in March, they were immediately up and running with online classes every day of the week. They had online classes with every one of their teachers.

When I talked to the parents in our public school district, their kids basically got nothing.

That union is out for itself. It is not interesting in parents or kids. All about power and money.

Back