New Youth Sports Guidance

Do you think the main leagues (CSL, SSCDSL) will just delay, delay, delay until they can start? January, February? It wont impact HS as CIF has said it will be ok to play club and HS sports at the same time.

At some point they need to understand that their seasons will no longer be viable. Are they going to run a season at the same time as State Cup? Families do not have the ability to just schedule 8-12 weeks of weekends at any time during the year. I would rather see one of them show a little bit of courage and just tell families to concentrate this year on A) making it through the year with their sanity intact, and B) keep getting touches inside the house or in the back yard, do skills training with their teams, and for the 2021-2022 season we'll have a bunch of teams who have really great first touches.

Throwback Thursday is upon us all :) ......................I found this old photo of my Dad playing soccer with his village friends, He's the one in the center.......They won the Village Cup that year and mysteriously the Trophy was stolen and their statue was beheaded and sent to the chancellor...................Throwback Thursday, anybody else want to post old soccer photos this Thursday while we wait for the restrictions to ease up?View attachment 8508

My wife dug this up yesterday (i's not a championship, just an OT goal and win) --

Can someone post a link to one article that shows a childs covid-19 death from participating in youth sports?
I’ve been looking. Child transmission at indoor basketball games. Outdoor adult transmission at a golf tournament.

I cannot find evidence of outdoor child transmission.

Georgia tech has a calculator for finding the odds of at least one person at a gathering currently having covid.

It shows a 5v5 game as 29% risk for LA. 58% for 11v11. (10 people versus 25 people)

I’m letting that drop a bit more before joining the folks doing independent scrimmages. Even then, the plan is to keep it small and the have the same people every time.

At some point they need to understand that their seasons will no longer be viable. Are they going to run a season at the same time as State Cup? Families do not have the ability to just schedule 8-12 weeks of weekends at any time during the year. I would rather see one of them show a little bit of courage and just tell families to concentrate this year on A) making it through the year with their sanity intact, and B) keep getting touches inside the house or in the back yard, do skills training with their teams, and for the 2021-2022 season we'll have a bunch of teams who have really great first touches.

Well said! As a manager for my DD's team, it's been tough keeping parents motivated and being positive that we will have a club season. If the season date moves out more than 60 days from the currently planned Oct 1st date, this will be the time to make a decision to call it a wrap. There's no point to continue to delay and delay into Jan/Feb 2021.

Throwback Thursday is upon us all :) ......................I found this old photo of my Dad playing soccer with his village friends, He's the one in the center.......They won the Village Cup that year and mysteriously the Trophy was stolen and their statue was beheaded and sent to the chancellor...................Throwback Thursday, anybody else want to post old soccer photos this Thursday while we wait for the restrictions to ease up?View attachment 8508
This is from 1987. My high school team traveled to the UK to play academy teams over three weeks from London to Edinburgh. From that team 6 played college and two became professionals.
1596735913326.png

Brilliant! I love the post game emotion.......I also like the goalie point of view of how his Defense did against UCLA. Cool Throwback!!

I was at the game, and I didn't see the shot go in since it was low along the ground from the far side - I was screened. All of a sudden all his teammates were jumping around and running onto the field. I saw a video replay of the game soon after from a worse viewpoint than mine - ball goes behind a forest of legs, something, something, ball is in the net, celebration. There is a motor-drive camera slide-show of photos of the move that beat the defender taken by a photo team who worked all UC Davis home games, all sports --

That sounds awful. An entire year working on touches? My kids got tired of the juggling and wall about one month into the shelter order.

That sounds awful. An entire year working on touches? My kids got tired of the juggling and wall about one month into the shelter order.

I wonder what that will do to California players v. other states which are doing more (even if not full tournaments and games).

Dominic, I assume that since the post above wasn't flagged as political, I could give my perspective. In no way do I wish to get into the politics of why this is occurring - just the science behind the risk and each populations' risk tolerance.

On a high level this appears to be more of a tolerance of risk difference between the states such as CA and states such as FL, TX and AZ.

From an "immunity" perspective, AZ is now likely in better shape than CA as a higher percentage of their population has some level of immunity due to already having the virus. They are trending down now and I wouldn't be surprised if they have infection levels similar to NY in the next month or two due to this immunity - just a guess, though. Also, there is little evidence that playing soccer is a high risk activity - despite the charts I have seen that put it up at a significant risk level. Texas is in a similar situation to AZ and haven't had any large outbreaks associated with training/games. Time will tell, but there is little scientific evidence to indicate soccer is a high a risk. However, I am aslo sure the risk is not 0.
The concern is the kids are asymptomatic. Nobody knows for sure why the numbers surged. Could kids being asymptomatic contributed, absolutely. Were there other reasons too, probably. Latest studies shows antibodies drop off significantly after 30 days and by 90 days almost all gone. They don't know yet how much the T-cells will protect future infections. Still so much unknown. We will get through this.

Teams can do passing drills. Teams can do shooting placement drills. Teams can do modified rondo work. Teams can do shape work-- albeit without pressure on the ball. Teams can work on playing out of the back-- again albeit without a lot of pressure. There is a lot that teams can do. Yes defenders are going to have a hard time during this period. Yes the kids who get joy out of dribbling past opponents are going to have a hard time during this period.

If your kids are bored that they don't want to continue to put in work, then let them have a year off, it's fine. It isn't going to hurt them long term no matter how many coaches say "oh but the really dedicated kids are doing extra work right now". That's garbage. Give your kids time off. Maybe this is the year that they decide they don't really like the game, and that's fine too.

Nah games, scrimmages, tournaments are not permitted the guidance is clear, distant training 6' for contact risk sports like soccer at all times, 8' if you're in LA + masks.

Nothing has changed much perhaps when or if the levels change things will be different but to promise parents that sanctioned scrimmages, games, tournaments will all of sudden be played is a pipe dream at this point.

CIF did the right thing and moved soccer to Spring. Train all you want until then and make the most of of but let's not pretend it's anything more than distance training and drills until the guidance is changed.

Parents at some point will not be willing to continually pay the regular club fees for distance training only, will need some reductions.
Hey, with all the PPP the clubs have been given, they should be able to give discounts.

1596739454348.png1596739481268.png

July 25 - 7 day moving average - 10,261
Aug 5 - 7 day moving average - 6698

source - Worldometer website

Seems to be a trend . If it continues it could impact the timing of future youth sports guideline updates .

I am not qualified to speculate if the trend will continue - I will let others do that if they want .

If your kids are bored that they don't want to continue to put in work, then let them have a year off, it's fine. It isn't going to hurt them long term no matter how many coaches say "oh but the really dedicated kids are doing extra work right now". That's garbage. Give your kids time off. Maybe this is the year that they decide they don't really like the game, and that's fine too.
Garbage? The top YNT players and those knocking on the top goats doors need to keep playing or they will really fall behind. I do agree many kids like yours and Copas need to sit out a year and try some other activities under the sun :) Have fun and try surfing, it's a blast :)

View attachment 8523View attachment 8524

July 25 - 7 day moving average - 10,261
Aug 5 - 7 day moving average - 6698

source - Worldometer website

Seems to be a trend . If it continues it could impact the timing of future youth sports guideline updates .

I am not qualified to speculate if the trend will continue - I will let others do that if they want .
CA covid tracking system has been dropping reports since mid July. You can see it in the grey lines of your graph. It is the cliff at July 25. All case count data since then are suspect. They are scrambling to fix it.

Deaths and hospitalizations are still accurate.

Do you think the main leagues (CSL, SSCDSL) will just delay, delay, delay until they can start? January, February? It wont impact HS as CIF has said it will be ok to play club and HS sports at the same time.
Leagues, Surf Cup, etc, will delay as much as they can delay with hopes of happening since it's a source of revenue for them.
Nothing wrong with remaining hopeful. But any reasonable individual can see it will not happen.
Besides leagues having issue working on schedules without fields permits, nobody thinks about referees yet. How will it work with them?
Too may holes to make it happen in a short amount of time.

HS and club happening at the same time will be another clustefuck for Olders.
Youngers will be fine playing in Spring.
State Cup? What State Cup?

Back