MLS youth league

The other thing that was specifically mentioned was that FC Dallas would be in the MLS. Which is either untrue, or FC Dallas is going to field teams in both ECNL (which FC Dallas announced) and MLS. I would think for political reasons if FC Dallas was playing in both leagues that they would put their first team in the MLS. I know RSL AZ had a DA and ECNL team last year with first team in DA. I can't imagine they would flip flop the teams and make ECNL the first team for the coming year, but I guess anything is possible.

RSL-AZ is in ECNL and has been from the beginning. The only had u12-13 in DA

RSL-Utah is u15-u18/19 in Utah.

I don't know what actually are the intentions for U15 or less are as I've only seen stuff that reference U15+ so far but that's all I'm interested in so maybe I just didn't tune in on time or noticed.
Looks like I was typing while you posted. Yeah, don't know the story is with RSL-AZ, I swear I saw them on the MLS "list" but could be wrong, or again it was the proposed but not confirmed list. I assume RSL-UT is playing in the MLS league?

The other thing that was specifically mentioned was that FC Dallas would be in the MLS. Which is either untrue, or FC Dallas is going to field teams in both ECNL (which FC Dallas announced) and MLS. I would think for political reasons if FC Dallas was playing in both leagues that they would put their first team in the MLS. I know RSL AZ had a DA and ECNL team last year with first team in DA. I can't imagine they would flip flop the teams and make ECNL the first team for the coming year, but I guess anything is possible.

Yes there will be clubs in both leagues, Dallas not the only ones as RSL was already in both and Solar also. Mashup/movement like I mentioned previously.

Looks like I was typing while you posted. Yeah, don't know the story is with RSL-AZ, I swear I saw them on the MLS "list" but could be wrong, or again it was the proposed but not confirmed list. I assume RSL-UT is playing in the MLS league?

No worries it's all drafts and eventually it will be published on what's what. Like a moving target

Yes there will be clubs in both leagues, Dallas not the only ones as RSL was already in both and Solar also. Mashup/movement like I mentioned previously.
There's a certain amount of logic in having a foot in both doors to see how things go, at least at the beginning. It will take a little while before Boys ECNL is established enough that it can push the "All In" position it was pushing with the girls when there were clubs with both ECNL and GDA.

Dallas and Houston Youth Academy's are in ECNL.
I should add Youth Academy is different than MLS academy. Youth Academy is almost like their affiliate club, but more integrated than that... but similar to the old LA Galaxy - San Diego.

FWIW a friend of a friend recently joined an mls organization (rapids if it matters) and said the mls academy plan is a mess and there’s very little motivation and organization to make it happen. He said it will be a mess this year (maybe up and running by January. Maybe). If they play this fall it won’t be a league just games and showcase weekends with only mls teams. Not motivated to go play a league that will have teams that were bottom feeder DA teams and/or weren’t even DA.

This is third hand and from a guy who just joined rapids organization. So take it fwiw.

FWIW a friend of a friend recently joined an mls organization (rapids if it matters) and said the mls academy plan is a mess and there’s very little motivation and organization to make it happen. He said it will be a mess this year (maybe up and running by January. Maybe). If they play this fall it won’t be a league just games and showcase weekends with only mls teams. Not motivated to go play a league that will have teams that were bottom feeder DA teams and/or weren’t even DA.

This is third hand and from a guy who just joined rapids organization. So take it fwiw.

I won't be surprised if this is how things end up going in terms of timing of league play. But, the MLS clubs have enough control over things now to ensure their teams can play the teams they want them to play. I also find it hard to believe that the people in the MLS academies aren't motivated to make this happen - they not only want to keep their jobs, they also like games (just like the players) and won't want to just supervise trainings for the next 6 months.

So, are we supposedly still waiting for some kind of an announcement from MLS on the academy league today?

I won't be surprised if this is how things end up going in terms of timing of league play. But, the MLS clubs have enough control over things now to ensure their teams can play the teams they want them to play. I also find it hard to believe that the people in the MLS academies aren't motivated to make this happen - they not only want to keep their jobs, they also like games (just like the players) and won't want to just supervise trainings for the next 6 months.

So, are we supposedly still waiting for some kind of an announcement from MLS on the academy league today?

This week around or before May 15th was told there will be some updates coming.

I have a hunch there are trying to time things in accordance with possible opening for group training. If MLS confirms the June 8th date for that perhaps the youth teams can get back in some limited forms also.

Salvaging some of the season and working with some models without fans that make economic sense is their big priority now. If that can be accomplished youth play in a formal league might begin in fall. If not spring 2021 is more likely and what USL decided on.

I just don’t see how the non fully funded clubs are going to compete. They will be worse off than the Non MLS DA teams defecting to ECNL. They could not keep up with cash being thrown their way from the MLS. Even TFA only has a team or two that can play with the big boys( the 05 team is legit). They should just play Coast or SCDSL

I just don’t see how the non fully funded clubs are going to compete. They will be worse off than the Non MLS DA teams defecting to ECNL. They could not keep up with cash being thrown their way from the MLS. Even TFA only has a team or two that can play with the big boys( the 05 team is legit). They should just play Coast or SCDSL
As with everything else, the question is which league will be perceived as #1 by players/parents. My guess is that the theory for non-MLS teams is that if the best players go to the MLS academies and players want to play against the best players, even if only to get a chance to be scouted by those MLS academy coaches or by the D1 coaches who scout the games in the MLS league, then they'll be willing to play for the non-MLS teams in that league.

ECNL is probably better for the clubs in terms of league organization and stability, being able to determine your club's own fate (since clubs have a seat at the table and there won't be MLS teams that run the league to benefit themselves) and making it easier to keep your own players. Whether that translates to benefits for the players is not as clear. HS play is less of a draw for boys than girls, but it might help with some kids if the MLS league doesn't allow it or plays through it. There might be more organized college showcases for ECNL teams too since MLS is less likely to care about that (although MLS does still place a lot of players in D1 schools every year and they retain their rights and sometimes sign them as homegrown players).

The real question will be how the MLS league treats the non-MLS teams. If the non-MLS teams only get limited games against the MLS teams to provide local scrimmages and otherwise just play against themselves, that will probably get old fast. Even then, for players the tie to the MLS academies may be enough to differentiate the league from ECNL and other local options.

As with everything else, the question is which league will be perceived as #1 by players/parents. My guess is that the theory for non-MLS teams is that if the best players go to the MLS academies and players want to play against the best players, even if only to get a chance to be scouted by those MLS academy coaches or by the D1 coaches who scout the games in the MLS league, then they'll be willing to play for the non-MLS teams in that league.

ECNL is probably better for the clubs in terms of league organization and stability, being able to determine your club's own fate (since clubs have a seat at the table and there won't be MLS teams that run the league to benefit themselves) and making it easier to keep your own players. Whether that translates to benefits for the players is not as clear. HS play is less of a draw for boys than girls, but it might help with some kids if the MLS league doesn't allow it or plays through it. There might be more organized college showcases for ECNL teams too since MLS is less likely to care about that (although MLS does still place a lot of players in D1 schools every year and they retain their rights and sometimes sign them as homegrown players).

The real question will be how the MLS league treats the non-MLS teams. If the non-MLS teams only get limited games against the MLS teams to provide local scrimmages and otherwise just play against themselves, that will probably get old fast. Even then, for players the tie to the MLS academies may be enough to differentiate the league from ECNL and other local options.

Alot of this comes down to resources and money. With ussda out of the picture those club subsidies and travel scholarships are not going to be forthcoming anymore.

Will MLS clubs propely fund this new league to make it successful? I doubt they will spend like what they did on the DA side given their current financial situation. At what point will they even have funds to allocate? Right now that's not the case.

On the clubside Ecnl has traditionally been a very expensive League to be a member of with parents footing the bill. That bill could be getting larger, club don't have the da subsidies any longer and with their income off they will likely not be offering handouts at previous levels. Some parents & players are going to be priced out and will stick with local leagues.

Maybe wrong forum, but is ECNL planning on increasing the number of games they play? It looks like they play 18-20 games per regular season and DA was in the neighborhood of 30, and I've heard claimed that MLS will play more.

Maybe wrong forum, but is ECNL planning on increasing the number of games they play? It looks like they play 18-20 games per regular season and DA was in the neighborhood of 30, and I've heard claimed that MLS will play more.
our club said 26 game league season

I heard same from coach friend in a non-MLS club. They are not getting a lot of communications and it is currently very disorganized. He is not sure where their club will fit in in the new league and whether they are in a lower tier than the one for MLS teams.

Twitter seems to be getting rumors, etc. so i imagine an announcement is forthcoming in the next 24-48 hours. But, who knows.

Back