MLS youth league

Lights FC does not have the organization set up for a youth team. At least, they have not announced it. Brett Lashbrook said it was not in their model when he started the club.

Just heard from a solid source that at least some phone calls are going out this week to non-MLS/non-ECNL DA clubs about participating in "something new". Don't have a lot of details more than that. Does this jibe with what other folks are getting a whiff of?

First non-MLS club that's announced on 4/23 that it will be part of the MLS league in 2020-21... Any other announcements?
1587754438395.png

First non-MLS club that's announced on 4/23 that it will be part of the MLS league in 2020-21... Any other announcements?
View attachment 6954

Nomads made that claim last week.

I saw this article and was hoping it would have some good info re: who is playing in the MLS league. Unfortunately it just listed the MLS clubs as playing in the MLS league, no non-MLS DA teams. https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...club-directory-whos-headed-where-in-2020.html

The article does imply that the USYS National League is something separate from the MLS league. There has been conjecture that MLS and USYS were joining forces, I'm skeptical that that is going to happen.

Nomads made that claim last week.

I saw this article and was hoping it would have some good info re: who is playing in the MLS league. Unfortunately it just listed the MLS clubs as playing in the MLS league, no non-MLS DA teams. https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...club-directory-whos-headed-where-in-2020.html

The article does imply that the USYS National League is something separate from the MLS league. There has been conjecture that MLS and USYS were joining forces, I'm skeptical that that is going to happen.

National League consists of various conferences,. USYS has offered regional and national conferences to them. At certain tournaments & Showcases National league conference play each other.

What MLS makes of this is to be determined but they are interested at least.

Mapping out a new MLS development league

Is there a none of the above option for that completely speculative outline?

USL academy collaboration does make sense but that already exists so why would MLS announce a new league? MWM already let us know that MLS was offering something different vs that.

Local Non MlS clubs have confirmed they have been asked to join this new league none of which is Incorporated in those outlines.

USYS has come out with at least 2 releases indicating they are offering some type of programming for this new league.

I don't really get this article but maybe someone else can shed some light.

Here's a great interview with US Soccer Scout Josh Hill about where things are at and what's next.

TopDrawerSoccer is similar to SoccerAmerica in that it's a key pub that's really benefited youth soccer in this country, and that they likely will have some tough times ahead. Give the interview a read and subscribe.

View attachment 6924
I paid bro :)

Is there a none of the above option for that completely speculative outline?

USL academy collaboration does make sense but that already exists so why would MLS announce a new league? MWM already let us know that MLS was offering something different vs that.

Local Non MlS clubs have confirmed they have been asked to join this new league none of which is Incorporated in those outlines.

USYS has come out with at least 2 releases indicating they are offering some type of programming for this new league.

I don't really get this article but maybe someone else can shed some light.
581962D9-7CC1-4EDE-B8E8-8A3EF026BD37.jpeg

Hello People,

NPL West is gone for Youngers and no longer exists. It will now be called ECNL Juniors with the same teams from before FC Golden St, Strikers, Pats, Real so Cal, Arsenal, Surf and others to be announced. No news on what the younger MLS Academies are going to do since that was their only league to compete in.

Hello People,

NPL West is gone for Youngers and no longer exists. It will now be called ECNL Juniors with the same teams from before FC Golden St, Strikers, Pats, Real so Cal, Arsenal, Surf and others to be announced. No news on what the younger MLS Academies are going to do since that was their only league to compete in.
Hopefully go back to their local league so 9 and 10 year olds aren’t driving all over SoCal to play league matches.

Hopefully go back to their local league so 9 and 10 year olds aren’t driving all over SoCal to play league matches.
For us, there was way more traveling in Coast than when we went to the DA. SCDSL seems to be somewhere in the middle with all the trips to Sliverlakes.

really interesting interview w/ Rocky Delgadillo about LAUFA and how they been adjusting to DA going away. Great get by SoccerAmerica. Would be really interested to see if what Delgadillo says synchs w/ what LAUFA families are seeing. Not saying it doesn't, just interested in folks' feedback.

(and btw, not affiliated w/ SA in any way except for appreciating really good work)

1588043819356.png

really interesting interview w/ Rocky Delgadillo about LAUFA and how they been adjusting to DA going away. Great get by SoccerAmerica. Would be really interested to see if what Delgadillo says synchs w/ what LAUFA families are seeing. Not saying it doesn't, just interested in folks' feedback.

(and btw, not affiliated w/ SA in any way except for appreciating really good work)

View attachment 6988
Good for him, but they interviewed the wrong guy. Paul Walker of TFA has an incredible funded program and puts a muuuuuch better product on the field.

Good for him, but they interviewed the wrong guy. Paul Walker of TFA has an incredible funded program and puts a muuuuuch better product on the field.
good point on PW. would be fascinated to hear from him on everything that's going on.

RD is a well spoken politician who tells people what they want to hear even if reality is sometimes vastly different.

PW tells like it is without as much filter, he might be a good business planner but maybe doesn't interview as well.

Peter Vermes on what MLS needs to get right with new youth program and what's on front-burner for season's re-start

My player will be in college but for those that will still be around if MLS gets this new youth league off the ground this year. MLS and the CA teams look like there going to have a more difficult time with the Stage 4 restrictions outlined by the state government.

"The first step of U.S. Soccer announcing they won’t be a leader in that space is an important one," he said on a media conference call on Wednesday, "because nobody is investing more money into player development than MLS. For us to lead that space, it only makes sense. I also think that we have to be very careful. There were some really good things that came out of the DA, and there were also some things that were done poorly. Hopefully, we can learn from the things that were done poorly and expand upon them."

Vermes says the new league can't be just about the MLS academies.

"It’s about the non-MLS academies and standalone youth clubs," he said. "They also need guidance and assistance, not that they don’t have good directors in their clubs, but I think our country is due for a good leader in this space who works with all of the groups in a very collaborative manner. I don’t think that’s taken place in the way that it should have. There’s been too much dictation and at times unrealistic terms or standards set. It’s hard to expect certain clubs to pay for everything. It’s just not feasible. They have to generate too much revenue, which is not part of their model. There has to be a different way of laying this out."

Like others involved in player development around MLS, Vermes says international competition will be an important part of the youth programs the clubs adopt.

"I also think that MLS academies have to make sure that we continue to have challenging competitions that optimize the potential that we have within our clubs," he said. "That would also include international competition for some of your younger groups. I think it’s feasible, absolutely, but I also think MLS doesn’t have to be the fastest to the table with a plan. We have to be the group that comes to the table with the best plan. I don’t think we have to be quick in putting something together. It’s about quality and high-level competition for all of the groups, not just MLS academies."

Vermes believes MLS will come out stronger following the financial hit it will take because of the COVID-19 outbreak.

"We all know that this situation has affected the global economy," he said. "Sporting Kansas City and MLS are not immune to that. We do have something that we can at least hang our hat on. We have incredibly stable ownership groups in this league. I don’t think any of them ever got in for the short term. I think all of them got in for the long term. It’s like the stock market. If you look at the stock market over its history, there’s been times of downturn. But it always overcome that, surpass that and get stronger over time. I feel the same thing will happen with MLS. Regarding players, I think they are as motivated—if not more motivated—in that they want to get back on the field as soon as possible. I know there are negotiations between the league and players, but I’m not privy to those. I’m very confident we will navigate this environment, and I truly believe that at some point we’ll be stronger than ever."

Vermes says MLS is formulating plans for the resumption of training -- individual workouts, then small group trainings and eventually full-team training sessions -- and has discussed the idea of playing league games in a tournament format.

"There are some cities that are a lot more open than others," he said, "and some cities that will become open a lot more quickly than others. If you had to wait for all 26 cities to open up, you could be waiting for a long time. We’ve talked about the possibility of having [up to] four locations where you could aggregate a number of teams in each of those locations and then play games that would count towards league play. It would be more a tournament style, and as you’re doing that over a certain number of weeks, as other cities open up, you could start to go back to your home cities. It’s definitely something that’s on the front-burner at the moment and something that has a lot of legs about possible implementation. You also have to realize that you’d be moving mountains to make that happen. There would be a lot of logistics, so there are a lot of people behind the scenes looking to see if that could actually happen. I’d like to think it could."

Is FC Dallas going to field ECNL teams as well as teams for the new MLS/USYS league? Without arguably the strongest boys club, the new league seem bare in that part of the country.

Back