MLS youth league

Other MLS clubs are deciding whether to field U19 teams. They would have to play in the EA league or some non_MLS league.

Minnesota scrapped their academy altogether.

No on the EA league it's Cal South not going to happen, there are USL and possibly MLS-EYDP U19 play & offerings.

Still early and things will eventually get settled in the next 8 weeks or so. By mid August there should be a clearer picture if covid19 doesn't detail things anymore.

Outside clubs are practicing at Dignity already. Still no word from Galaxy when training will restart.

Are you referring to "soccer camps" with drills and distancing? That's not my idea of practicing but if it's the only way why not?

MLS has instructed academies to hold off on commencing training due to uncertainty/rising CV-19 caseload.

In what markets? Any duration noted?

USL is starting games in a couple weeks and been practicing for weeks.

Nothing surprised me anymore as the 3rd week of July restart for around here was the tentative target although I understand that was not universal or a nation wide deal.

In what markets? Any duration noted?

USL is starting games in a couple weeks and been practicing for weeks.

Nothing surprised me anymore as the 3rd week of July restart for around here was the tentative target although I understand that was not universal or a nation wide deal.
All we heard is academies are not allowed to begin training next week, with no specific return to play date set. Actually no reasons provided either, the reason I cited in my last post was speculation on my part.

ECNL clubs around us have been training for weeks.

All we heard is academies are not allowed to begin training next week, with no specific return to play date set. Actually no reasons provided either, the reason I cited in my last post was speculation on my part.

ECNL clubs around us have been training for weeks.
non-MLS clubs in the MLS league have also been training for weeks (at least under camp protocols), so perhaps this only applies to the academies of MLS clubs.

non-MLS clubs in the MLS league have also been training for weeks (at least under camp protocols), so perhaps this only applies to the academies of MLS clubs.
Motivation is different for pay to play clubs. Get back to it ASAP so you can justify the fees. MLS academies have the luxury of slow rolling since they have a (mostly) captive audience that can’t complain that they aren’t getting their money’s worth.

Motivation is different for pay to play clubs. Get back to it ASAP so you can justify the fees. MLS academies have the luxury of slow rolling since they have a (mostly) captive audience that can’t complain that they aren’t getting their money’s worth.
True, although some of those clubs subsidize fully or partially their top teams. My sense is that the non-MLS clubs' interest in re-opening is mostly about their other teams that are pay-to-play, but for their top teams in the MLS league the benefit is being able to bring in tryout players to at least see them in person. There are a decent number of players on former DA teams that moved to ECNL who are looking around at teams in the MLS league.

There are a decent number of players on former DA teams that moved to ECNL who are looking around at teams in the MLS league.
and ECNL clubs start registering players 7/1 with a season projected start date of 9/12. Surf Cup for youngers registration is 7/12 but MLS clubs aren’t returning till 7/20. Bit of an awkward position for parents and players on the move...

Inter Miami got rid of their U19. I wonder how many MLS clubs will carry a U19.

Miami or any of the recent expansion teams don't have have much invested in training players for many years and seeing them walk away. However, the others would like to see a return on the investments and need a bridge between the Academy, USL, and the the first team.

U19 which is really mainly u18 since most 2002 are college age will be used by some to play u17 up also. These are the players that have potential beyond the academy leagues.

I expect some of the MLS U19 teams to play in the USL leagues in spring, vs international teams, and the MLS homegrown league in the fall to start. The Non-MLS have u19 also so should be teams to play locally and that was always going to be the case with only 2 MLS.

I don’t understand the rationale for focusing on U15 and U17 only. How can clubs be so certain which kids are deserving of homegrown contracts by age 16?

Most kids playing U19 will be 17 year olds. Move 17 year olds up to play USL? USL championship, USL 1 and USL 2 are not the strongest leagues but they are filled with international players, former MLS players and former college players. Very few 17 year old DA kids can effectively compete against adults in the USL.

Very few 17 year old DA kids can effectively compete against adults in the USL.
I think the rationale is that if the kid has not stood out by 17 it’s highly unlikely that it will ever happen. The “very few 17 year old’s” are the only kids the teams care about because they are the only ones with professional potential.

I don’t understand the rationale for focusing on U15 and U17 only. How can clubs be so certain which kids are deserving of homegrown contracts by age 16?

Most kids playing U19 will be 17 year olds. Move 17 year olds up to play USL? USL championship, USL 1 and USL 2 are not the strongest leagues but they are filled with international players, former MLS players and former college players. Very few 17 year old DA kids can effectively compete against adults in the USL.

USL A league starts in Spring 2021.

If you haven't stood out already MLS not going to continue investing or is interested in a u19 that's hasn't.

Seems harsh. So kids have until 16 to show they have pro quality. If they have it by 16, there may be a viable future for professional soccer. If they do not show this by 16, then they better have a Plan B.

Seems harsh. So kids have until 16 to show they have pro quality. If they have it by 16, there may be a viable future for professional soccer. If they do not show this by 16, then they better have a Plan B.

Always pretty much been that way, nothing really new.

There are two tracks, play club soccer move to college ball as the goal and priority.

Play in the best league you can find, hopefully get noticed by some of the professional organizations; get on a team, perform, get promoted or not. At 16-17 plan b for those is to get accepted to a good college and continue to play, move on to college ball as the next step.

If college play is yours players goal Non-MLS or one leagues that cater to college showcases are likely a better fit.

Even with the inhouse academy HS substitute programs most of the players leave to college and maybe 2-3 per class go the USL or pro route instead of college. The odds are long to be one of very few that continue on even after your a u19.

There are two tracks, play club soccer move to college ball as the goal and priority.

Play in the best league you can find, hopefully get noticed by some of the professional organizations; get on a team, perform, get promoted or not. At 16-17 plan b for those is to get accepted to a good college and continue to play, move

If college play is yours players goal Non-MLS or one leagues that cater to college showcases are likely a better fit.

Even with the inhouse academy HS substitute programs most of the players leave to college and maybe 2-3 per class go the USL or pro route instead of college. The odds are long to be one of very few that continue on even after your a u19.

Play in the best league you can find, hopefully get noticed by some of the professional organizations; get on a team, perform, get promoted or not. At 16-17 plan b for those is to get accepted to a good college and continue to play, move on to college ball as the next step.

I mostly agree, except the path to the top college programs has also been the MLS academies over the past several years. Now with the U19 teams being dropped, how does that pathway change? Some kids will have college scholarship commitments by the end of U17, but many won’t (particularly since boys recruiting is later than girls).

I don’t think the elimination of MLS U19 teams means that going to a local non-MLS ECNL club is now a better path to college. There will still be a perception that the better players are with MLS academies (through U17).

it may be hard for U17 MLS academy “graduates” to find a home at ECNL clubs for their last 1-2 years. Won’t those ECNL clubs favor kids who have been paying customers over the years?

Back