MLS youth league

I mostly agree, except the path to the top college programs has also been the MLS academies over the past several years. Now with the U19 teams being dropped, how does that pathway change? Some kids will have college scholarship commitments by the end of U17, but many won’t (particularly since boys recruiting is later than girls).

I don’t think the elimination of MLS U19 teams means that going to a local non-MLS ECNL club is now a better path to college. There will still be a perception that the better players are with MLS academies (through U17).

it may be hard for U17 MLS academy “graduates” to find a home at ECNL clubs for their last 1-2 years. Won’t those ECNL clubs favor kids who have been paying customers over the years?
I doubt it. Clubs will favor the kids that will bring them the most publicity. If I were a college coach, I’d be most interested in the demographic that almost made it in the MLS academy because they “should” be the highest rated recruits.
No loyalty in this game patna. You’ve got to “get in where you fit in.”

I mostly agree, except the path to the top college programs has also been the MLS academies over the past several years. Now with the U19 teams being dropped, how does that pathway change? Some kids will have college scholarship commitments by the end of U17, but many won’t (particularly since boys recruiting is later than girls).

I don’t think the elimination of MLS U19 teams means that going to a local non-MLS ECNL club is now a better path to college. There will still be a perception that the better players are with MLS academies (through U17).

it may be hard for U17 MLS academy “graduates” to find a home at ECNL clubs for their last 1-2 years. Won’t those ECNL clubs favor kids who have been paying customers over the years?

There is only a very limited number of MLS academies, only two in all of SoCal for the hundreds of players that end up going on to play college from the area. MLS is not in the youth academy business to develop college players, so it's not a focus for them.

Out the 40 odd players that eventually graduation out of u19 from those academies college opportunities are there if they have the grades. For the hundreds of other players u18/19 they need something else.

During u17 year players should get good indicators if they have potential to keep going on the MLS pathway, are they playing up? Training center invites, training with the 1st or 2nd teams etc. If not they can decide which way might fit them the best?

No one size fits all or the best path it's all relative but like you said if you can stick one with club instead of bouncing around that could be beneficial in some cases.

There is only a very limited number of MLS academies, only two in all of SoCal for the hundreds of players that end up going on to play college from the area. MLS is not in the youth academy business to develop college players, so it's not a focus for them.

Out the 40 odd players that eventually graduation out of u19 from those academies college opportunities are there if they have the grades. For the hundreds of other players u18/19 they need something else.

During u17 year players should get good indicators if they have potential to keep going on the MLS pathway, are they playing up? Training center invites, training with the 1st or 2nd teams etc. If not they can decide which way might fit them the best?

No one size fits all or the best path it's all relative but like you said if you can stick one with club instead of bouncing around that could be beneficial in some cases.
I actually think the process is a little more cutthroat than your comment suggest. At my kids club they are evaluating which 2008 boys will make the academy. If you don’t make the U15 squad your chances are also slim of breaking into the academy at U17. So I think the funnel will narrow substantially at ages 13-14.

I actually think the process is a little more cutthroat than your comment suggest. At my kids club they are evaluating which 2008 boys will make the academy. If you don’t make the U15 squad your chances are also slim of breaking into the academy at U17. So I think the funnel will narrow substantially at ages 13-14.

Yeah agree I wasn't referring to breaking in at u17 only being evaluated at u17 once your already on one of the squad's

If you're on the MLS track or thinking beyond college in today's Liverpool Premiere match:

Jones is a 2001 19 year old that scored
Elliot is a 2003 17 yr old
Williams is another 2001 19 year old that was on the roster.

If the MLS doesn't starting giving more opportunities to younger players why spend the millions on their academies?

If you're on the MLS track or thinking beyond college in today's Liverpool Premiere match:

Jones is a 2001 19 year old that scored
Elliot is a 2003 17 yr old
Williams is another 2001 19 year old that was on the roster.

If the MLS doesn't starting giving more opportunities to younger players why spend the millions on their academies?
I know a 15-yr-old that I expect will take the field at some point during the July tournament in Orlando.
At least one club is doing it.

They sign these kids to contracts, with kits of fanfare, and then the kids barely play. How is that good for them and for the long-term growth of the league? Developing homegrown stars would generate far more interest in MLS among fans.

Part of the problem is our MLS academies choose the wrong kids, and when they reach this age they are exposed and can’t win playing time. Our genius academy coaches latch onto kids at age 12 who reach puberty first, but they predictably flatten out. One of the rising star prospects in our YNT circuit, who plays midfield, can’t even head check and has no idea what he is going to do with the ball when he receives it. But, coaches liked his performance when he was young (based largely on size and reasonable - but not great - technical skills), and they are now invested to prove their decision was right.

They sign these kids to contracts, with kits of fanfare, and then the kids barely play. How is that good for them and for the long-term growth of the league? Developing homegrown stars would generate far more interest in MLS among fans.

Part of the problem is our MLS academies choose the wrong kids, and when they reach this age they are exposed and can’t win playing time. Our genius academy coaches latch onto kids at age 12 who reach puberty first, but they predictably flatten out. One of the rising star prospects in our YNT circuit, who plays midfield, can’t even head check and has no idea what he is going to do with the ball when he receives it. But, coaches liked his performance when he was young (based largely on size and reasonable - but not great - technical skills), and they are now invested to prove their decision was right.
That’s a big mistake I notice too often. Someone will say “he’s only an 06 and he plays up and blah blah blah” and you see a kid with hair on his legs and full muscle tone and pretty much have to say “Next. By 16-17 he won’t keep up.” But they lock in and ignore the little underdeveloped really good players (eg Messi or Griesemann, etc).

Per the Athletic, Ivy League set to announce all Fall sports moving to Spring 2021.

At our LA county high school same times of thing has been in discussion. Football practicing not starting yet so there going to make a determination to push back or reschedule next couple weeks.

Instead of being a winter sport HS soccer moved to Spring was talked about but I dunno how that would work if football is in the spring also now, winter pushback for football was the earier discussion.

Whatever happens to HS soccer will be determined somewhat by what goes for football so guess we will have to wait to see?

Do you know if there is a published schedule?

No there is not

I won't be surprised if the first level MLS teams start up league play next spring which has been discussed as a option. There really trying to align with the first teams as best as possible.

For Non-MLS fall, the latest tentative start form two weeks ago was Sept 12 that one of the spokespersons talked about it was quoted in a article.

Clubs have their schedules with opponents penciled in, but nothing published so far. The MLS teams are mixed with non MLS teams, as far as I can tell.

Now you know why spring 2021 was in the conversation, wish it were different but:

img_81421-jpg.8079

Now you know why spring 2021 was in the conversation, wish it were different but:

img_81421-jpg.8079
This feels like a new restriction, but I don’t think it is. I see this as the state asserting its authority on previous guidance (or lack of). This “camp” approach was a loophole OC used. Looks like they got their hand slapped. I wish it would’ve stuck, but the governor has been threatening enforcement lately and here it is. Unfortunate, but now all of SoCal has to wait for state level guidance specific to youth sports. Still hopeful, but a little less so each day that passes with no plan.

This feels like a new restriction, but I don’t think it is. I see this as the state asserting its authority on previous guidance (or lack of). This “camp” approach was a loophole OC used. Looks like they got their hand slapped. I wish it would’ve stuck, but the governor has been threatening enforcement lately and here it is. Unfortunate, but now all of SoCal has to wait for state level guidance specific to youth sports. Still hopeful, but a little less so each day that passes with no plan.
More like this.....bitch!!!!
1594267538754.png

The MLS clubs where adapt enough not to jump the gun so they obviously have been considering other options, plan b, etc so I have hope they will figure somethings out. What, when, where are the questions now?

The MLS "is back" tournament started day so I'm optimistic, going to be different whatever happens.

Back