Manchester City Cup… what’s their issue..?

Just had a quick look through a few brackets; below are a selection of the additions on the end of club names to identify their league/status.

MLS Next
EAL
Pre-ECNL
ECRL
Elite Academy
Elite II
NPL
ECNLR
Select PL
International Academy
ELITE MLS

I want to laugh but it’s not really funny; the lunacy continues apace. Hopefully the kids enjoyed the games regardless; after all, the letters and names are for the parents really, aren’t they?

Just got home from the Man City Cup. Pretty good weekend with the team and parents. We went 1-1-1 which I honestly thought would happen. 2 of the 4 brackets had an ECNL or ECRL team in it which all 3 moved on and the 4th was a former DPL team which moved on also. Funny thing was the game we tied cause both teams lost to the ECRL team 0-2 and both teams beat the other team 4-0, the we tied 1-1 even though it should of been 0-0. SO we had the same record, goals for, goals allowed, and goals difference.

Except they lost game 3 3-1. Maybe the teams they beat should have been lower. Looks like Champions was ECNL level while Premier was ECLR level.

Ha, they were just trying to throw you off the scent and not be obvious. They advanced with twice as many goals scored as anyone else in Premier (20) and won the final easily.

Just got home from the Man City Cup. Pretty good weekend with the team and parents. We went 1-1-1 which I honestly thought would happen. 2 of the 4 brackets had an ECNL or ECRL team in it which all 3 moved on and the 4th was a former DPL team which moved on also. Funny thing was the game we tied cause both teams lost to the ECRL team 0-2 and both teams beat the other team 4-0, the we tied 1-1 even though it should of been 0-0. SO we had the same record, goals for, goals allowed, and goals difference.
If you are in the age group and bracket I think you are, perhaps it will help a little to know that the team from your bracket that advanced beat the ECNL team they faced in the semis, then beat the ECNL team they faced in the finals.

If you are in the age group and bracket I think you are, perhaps it will help a little to know that the team from your bracket that advanced beat the ECNL team they faced in the semis, then beat the ECNL team they faced in the finals.
Doesn't surprise me. Great team. We played good against them but once they get the lead, it's hard to play catch up to them. The girls now know how it is playing against those top teams.

Except they lost game 3 3-1. Maybe the teams they beat should have been lower. Looks like Champions was ECNL level while Premier was ECLR level.
Jajaja
They did lose, score was posted wrong, they ended up being champions
It was not their fault Igor the placement, they were accepted last minute to fill in a bracket.
Originally Celtic was also listed in Premier, obviously The scheduler screwed up

Just had a quick look through a few brackets; below are a selection of the additions on the end of club names to identify their league/status.

MLS Next
EAL
Pre-ECNL
ECRL
Elite Academy
Elite II
NPL
ECNLR
Select PL
International Academy
ELITE MLS

I want to laugh but it’s not really funny; the lunacy continues apace. Hopefully the kids enjoyed the games regardless; after all, the letters and names are for the parents really, aren’t they?
We played in Cerritos Memorial this weekend and the same alphabet madness continues there.
Specific to a few girls brackets I paid attention to:
They had an "ECNL Only" bracket. I guess this was Flight 1.
The middle tier had ECNL-RL teams, SCDSL Flight 1 (maybe discovery/NPL?) and Flight 2 teams.
The 3rd tier was SCDSL Flight 2 and 3 teams (and I guess Coast Silver/Bronze).

Here's how the middle bracket played out:
One team cake-walked through 2 of the 3 bracket games. Had a tough 3rd game and a good battle in the 4th game for the semi-finals.
Tournaments are sort of fun. But I'd rather see 1 or 2 competitive games that test both teams instead of playing 4 games where by the 3rd and 4th game you've got exhausted players.

We played in Cerritos Memorial this weekend and the same alphabet madness continues there.
Specific to a few girls brackets I paid attention to:
They had an "ECNL Only" bracket. I guess this was Flight 1.
The middle tier had ECNL-RL teams, SCDSL Flight 1 (maybe discovery/NPL?) and Flight 2 teams.
The 3rd tier was SCDSL Flight 2 and 3 teams (and I guess Coast Silver/Bronze).

Here's how the middle bracket played out:
One team cake-walked through 2 of the 3 bracket games. Had a tough 3rd game and a good battle in the 4th game for the semi-finals.
Tournaments are sort of fun. But I'd rather see 1 or 2 competitive games that test both teams instead of playing 4 games where by the 3rd and 4th game you've got exhausted players.
So within our age group for Man City, there were 4 groups of 4 teams. Each group had an ECNL, ECRL, or former DPL team. Then had 2 middle teams each to fight it out, and 1 “why are we here” team (trying to be nice here). In each group, the 2 ECNL, the ECRL, and former DPL team won all 3 games with a total 41 goals for and 3 allowed. The 4 bottom teams in each group lost all 3 games with 4 goals for and 45 goals against. What’s interesting is that 3 of the 4 groups had the top team play the bottom team last, guess so they can rest players. Why not have one group be all 4 top teams (ECNL, etc) and let them fight it out to get into the playoffs and group all the flight 1 teams in the other 3 groups, giving them a change to move on.

I say put the ECNL and RL teams in the same group. If an aspiring non-ECNL club wants to play there- Let them in also.
At Cerritos, ECNL teams had their own bracket. Seems lame to play the same teams you'd play during league.
On one hand - I get that this keeps the non-ecnl teams from getting blown out. But on the other hand, I wonder if the ECNL teams prefer it this way so they dont have a chance to lose to a non-ecnl team.

I say put the ECNL and RL teams in the same group. If an aspiring non-ECNL club wants to play there- Let them in also.
At Cerritos, ECNL teams had their own bracket. Seems lame to play the same teams you'd play during league.
On one hand - I get that this keeps the non-ecnl teams from getting blown out. But on the other hand, I wonder if the ECNL teams prefer it this way so they dont have a chance to lose to a non-ecnl team.

I was browsing winners for Man City, and it looks to me like an ECRL team won the G2005 age group, beating ECNL teams in the semis and finals.

I was browsing winners for Man City, and it looks to me like an ECRL team won the G2005 age group, beating ECNL teams in the semis and finals.

Does ECNL have promotion/relegation between ECNL and ECRL teams? Seems like that could be a cool feature for those talented ECRL teams...

I doubt that was an ECRL team. The label says “ECNLR” which might be ECNL with a typo, or might indicate some players from each team.

For what I have seen this weekend at Cerritos (girls, on a couple age groups), ECRL teams would be better suited competing with flight 1 (or equivalent) teams rather than with ECNL teams.

I doubt that was an ECRL team. The label says “ECNLR” which might be ECNL with a typo, or might indicate some players from each team.
That Surf 05 ecRL team is a very good team my daughter has played them for the last 5 or 6 years including this year we finally beat them last year tied them this year. I don't think they are as strong as they once were but still they are strong I wouldn't doubt it they could win Man City. They did go to National Cup finals back in u12 I think it was I just know it was the last year that age group all teams played in National Cup and flight 1 before they aged into DA and ECNL so they got further than even their own DA now ECNL team in the tournament

My daughter’s team was also in the G2005 group, the other of the two teams that had identical records and results. I was told that the Surf ECNLR team from our group that ended up winning the tournament had a mix of ECRL and ECNL players, and that under their new girls DOC Surf now rosters a smaller number of players on each team, then has a group of players that rotate back and forth between the ECRL and ECNL teams depending on the situation. Kind of underscores the point that in tournaments with guests you never really know if you’re getting the “official” rostered team. In any case, Surf 05 had a great team with a solid defense that was almost impossible to score against.

My daughter’s team was also in the G2005 group, the other of the two teams that had identical records and results. I was told that the Surf ECNLR team from our group that ended up winning the tournament had a mix of ECRL and ECNL players, and that under their new girls DOC Surf now rosters a smaller number of players on each team, then has a group of players that rotate back and forth between the ECRL and ECNL teams depending on the situation. Kind of underscores the point that in tournaments with guests you never really know if you’re getting the “official” rostered team. In any case, Surf 05 had a great team with a solid defense that was almost impossible to score against.
That makes more sense.

Partially correct. Every girl on the roster for Man City played the entire year (2020-2021) with the ENCLR team with one guest (team needed a guest goalie for 1 game as one of their keepers was playing in CIF finals and the other goalie is injured). No guest players in the semis or finals.

What happens going forward is yet to be determined.

SD Surf 05 ENCL and ECRL have a combined 27 league games with 1 lose each. Regardless if the ECRL team had ECNL players on the team for this tournament, both teams are extremely good. All I know is they had a full 18 on the roster with 7 subs on the bench. We lost 0-2 to them as did the other very good flight 1 team. Didn’t get blown out and if it wasn’t for 2 goals in the first 15 minutes, who knows how the game would of gone.
Couple of years ago when my daughter was with SoCal Academy Hazell, we played the SD Surf DPL team at either Man City or Surf Cup who had players from the National Championship team that year (2018 I think). We knew that cause 5 of so players had the NC patch on their shoulder. Still held them to a 0-0 draw but lost in KFTM (PKs). It was one of the reasons why SoCal Academy became LA Surf, but we all know how that love story ended...
But it was a great test for our team, our girls never backed down and they felt good about themselves after the game. They left the pitch with there heads held up high.

ECNL teams played in Showcase bracket at Cerritos. One game a day and up to 26 players on the roster allowed. Pretty competitive and top level games, at least the ones I've seen. MVLA was very good across all age groups.

Back