Let the Principals & Teachers Decide

It’s not just about race, I’m talking about class too.
Ok, Mac. You are king of the world. What do you do to solve the separation of classes in US schools? I was thinking about my daughter's first soccer team last week. I remembered how we had girls from pretty much every neighborhood in the city. At the time, I distinctly remember thinking, "Youth soccer is the great equalizer. It mixes everyone." However, that mixing slowly eroded. The team my daughter plays for is absolutely racially diverse. But in terms of class - not diverse at all.

No. All primary schools represent an inappropriately high transmission risk to too many people and - especially at the HS level - there is feasible alternative, online education. You can’t day care online. Day care is a necessary evil, so to speak. And day care transmissions will be mitigated by the steep decline in participation both due to the massive layoffs that have freed many parents up, as well as those who consider the risk to their baby to be too great.

So the parents that are being forced to work as essential workers get placed in harms way (and have to pay for it too...not to mention the day care workers) but the teacher's because they are too precious get off scott free? Nice! If we are talking overall numbers, I'd rather they shut down the protests, shut down the restaurants, shutdown the aircon and plumbers and leave the schools open because 1) science says kids transmit it less, and 2) the kids are more important than any of those.

Ok, Mac. You are king of the world. What do you do to solve the separation of classes in US schools? I was thinking about my daughter's first soccer team last week. I remembered how we had girls from pretty much every neighborhood in the city. At the time, I distinctly remember thinking, "Youth soccer is the great equalizer. It mixes everyone." However, that mixing slowly eroded. The team my daughter plays for is absolutely racially diverse. But in terms of class - not diverse at all.
Unfortunately, I don’t know. However, if I look at my limited personal experience I’d be open to bussing. My family were migrant workers so I followed the crops and moved often as a child. By far, the best schools that I attended were in S. Florida that had busing to integrate schools.

So the parents that are being forced to work as essential workers get placed in harms way (and have to pay for it too...not to mention the day care workers) but the teacher's because they are too precious get off scott free? Nice! If we are talking overall numbers, I'd rather they shut down the protests, shut down the restaurants, shutdown the aircon and plumbers and leave the schools open because 1) science says kids transmit it less, and 2) the kids are more important than any of those.
Thanks @Grace T. for figuring out this complicated subject with such certainty in such short time for us feeble minded folks.

Thanks @Grace T. for figuring out this complicated subject with such certainty in such short time for us feeble minded folks.

It's in response to the assertion that even if all kids are removed from the classrooms,/gatherings, it's still better if a lot of them are. There's no rational basis for that assertion, but if we are all going to be irrational, let's be irrational....I'd rather have the schools open than pretty much anything else besides medical services, the police and fire, and food. It's an idiotic argument in response to an idiotic assertion to point out the flaws is said assertion. But if we are there to the point where schools should be closed, well then we should be in relockdown until it's safe to open the schools.

But yes, I'd put my record up against Fauci's. I can even pitch better than he can apparently.

It's in response to the assertion that even if all kids are removed from the classrooms,/gatherings, it's still better if a lot of them are. There's no rational basis for that assertion, but if we are all going to be irrational, let's be irrational....I'd rather have the schools open than pretty much anything else besides medical services, the police and fire, and food. It's an idiotic argument in response to an idiotic assertion to point out the flaws is said assertion. But if we are there to the point where schools should be closed, well then we should be in relockdown until it's safe to open the schools.

But yes, I'd put my record up against Fauci's. I can even pitch better than he can apparently.

I find it hard to believe that you would put your judgment up against Fauci's unless you are defending a political stance.

I will vouch for your prediction record, Grace, but the pitching? It is such a low bar.
Wow, I just saw that. I like the mask and the logo he had on but that throw, yikes!!!. He's a cool expert and is not always right. I looked back at all the videos of his and of others who down played the mask. It's weird. Nice guy he is.

I find it hard to believe that you would put your judgment up against Fauci's unless you are defending a political stance.

1. He's been awful in all this. Wrong several time and a history of telling half-truths. In fairness, lot's of others have been horrible.
2. Yes, his expertise is far greater than mine but that's one of the problems we have and why we are in the mess we are in. My record is simply better than his. Whether I'd put my judgment up against his depends on what the question is.
3. On the subject of deferring to the experts, I've written this before. I have a highly drug resistant bacterial infection right now. The doctors gave me some really bad advice for treating it. If I had listened to the experts and not questioned what they were telling me, my kids would have been burying me this last week. It was only because I used my own logic and reasoning that I'm alive right now.

I don’t feel sorry for your predicament. If you can’t handle your HS child spending a semester studying online, you lack intestinal fortitude. You’re acting like the very lives of our HS students hang in the balance if they can’t attend school in person for one semester at most - although the lives of many teachers and students also actually do hang in the balance if they attend in person. Is your child going to get as good an education online? Maybe not for you since you prefer to spend your time whining instead of movng forward, although I know mine will because I will take responsibility for helping find success. And I don’t have a bad attitude that will inevitably rub off on them.

Your point of view is unpersuasive and frankly pathetic. Get your s**t together. Woman up.

Unfortunately, I don’t know. However, if I look at my limited personal experience I’d be open to bussing. My family were migrant workers so I followed the crops and moved often as a child. By far, the best schools that I attended were in S. Florida that had busing to integrate schools.
Interesting. I taught in South Florida (Broward County) in the early 90's in a Magnate School - sort of a school within a school. Schools "competed" for kids throughout the county to be part of the program. If a kid got in, they were bused to the school - "voluntary" busing. Many of the Magnate schools were located in disadvantaged neighborhoods and the Magnate Program brought in some very high performing students.

Is it wrong that I didn't really remember this until you prompted it, but I did remember RJ's landing on Fort Lauderdale beach where on Fridays from 3:00P-4:00P, drinks were free and from 4:00-5:00 they were $1?

Your point of view is unpersuasive and frankly pathetic. Get your s**t together. Woman up.

Hmmmm...I'd say the same to the teacher's union.

In any case, it's not going to be a semester. When all is said and done it will be close to a year, because children won't be prioritized either for the vaccine.

Hmmmm...I'd say the same to the teacher's union.

In any case, it's not going to be a semester. When all is said and done it will be close to a year, because children won't be prioritized either for the vaccine.

Your self-pity is very impressive. But I really think you should turn that frown upside down and show a little optimism. I mean, Americans are so stupid in general that we’re doomed without a vaccine, but I think there are enough smart people out there to crank one out sooner than you think.

Interesting. I taught in South Florida (Broward County) in the early 90's in a Magnate School - sort of a school within a school. Schools "competed" for kids throughout the county to be part of the program. If a kid got in, they were bused to the school - "voluntary" busing. Many of the Magnate schools were located in disadvantaged neighborhoods and the Magnate Program brought in some very high performing students.

Is it wrong that I didn't really remember this until you prompted it, but I did remember RJ's landing on Fort Lauderdale beach where on Fridays from 3:00P-4:00P, drinks were free and from 4:00-5:00 they were $1?
I attended Lincoln Park Academy Magnet in the ghetto of Ft. Pierce in St Lucie county. Most of the affluent kids were bussed from Port St. Lucie.

The regular kids in St Lucie County had involuntary busing. I believe Port St Lucie made national news in 1992 due to skinhead protest over the poor mostly minority kids being bussed to Port St. Lucie HS.

When I returned to CA, teachers from my magnet school pulled some strings and were able to get me into Mission San Jose H.S. in Fremont, CA

lol How did you forget RJ’s?

Concerning Teachers: Teachers have a right to be concerned. A teacher in a middle school or high school may be in the same room as 100 different kids during the day. As of July 22, California had 413,500 confirmed Covid-19 cases, just a shade over 1% of California's population. The death rate in California for confirmed cases is 7,870, which is just a hair below 2%. California has about 300,000 teachers in K-12 public schools. There are more in private schools. Let's say that just 2% of teachers get the virus, and 2% die. That translates to somewhere between 6,000 and 12,000 sick teachers, and 120 - 240 deaths. Why should teachers have to take this risk when the general public does not?

Concerning Public Health: But the biggest danger is not to teachers. Kids with the corona-virus will more likely spread it to each other than to teachers. Those kids will go home, and some will spread it to their families. People say that we should open school "for the kids," because they seem to do better with the virus than adults. But that does not help Grandma or Grandpa. We have public safety laws to protect the public. We close schools partly to protect kids, but also to protect the larger public.
How many do the $15 hr. grocery store clerks come in contact with each day?

Damn. Delivered the KO in nine words.
Not really, integration would be great but we can't do that with white racist democrats like joe biden preventing it. Attack this from all sides, homeschooling, private school vouchers even if only for low income families, charter schools, or integration through busing that biden prevented. Lets do all the above. The unions are preventing all the above thanks to white racist liberals like biden.

[

Well, it looks like you’ve got it all figured out! You have watched some TV about this.

Are you saying the documentary is fake news? That Obama is wrong for expanding charter schools? The cory booker is wrong for pushing charter schools? Which is it?

Back