Is Surf Cup happening?

Will college coaches be flying?

can they even get approval to travel ?

With the dead period still going and unknown would seem a challenge to arrange travel approval thats up in the air so to speak for that set of coaches.

Live Stream for the coaches is the way to go Mr buck. Local coaches can make the drive if they like and out of state can watch on TV. I was told that big time coaches want a few more looks before the sign a kid.

Only very limited number of games are streamed normally but maybe this time teams can pay some more to get coverage.

Someone has to sacrifice in life and it sure in the hell is not going to be Surf Cup. Come'on man!!! This is the holy grail of soccer tournaments. 2021, 2022 and 2023 need some games and that is a great weekend to play some tough, ganas soccer. Best of the Best only. I'm not sure if our team is good enough to play with all the top teams. I do think it's a neat idea and we all should hope that the best can battle it out is SD. @dad4 what % you give this tournament a chance on Labor Day? ECNL starts up the next week after that I think. I have my thoughts but I wanted your thoughts too before I share mine
I give it 10% to occur at all. 2% to occur with the kind of teams we are used to seeing.

Best shot for fall play is to come up with a solid covid plan. Soccer has to have something intelligent to say when teams talk to the health department. Thermometer readings, alternate weekends off, contact tracing, ban spectators, isolated fields only, mandatory 3 weeks off for both teams if there was a positive player, and so on.

If we keep asking for 20,000 person gatherings, we will never get anything. Ask Mom for a kitten, not a pony.

can they even get approval to travel ?

With the dead period still going and unknown would seem a challenge to arrange travel approval thats up in the air so to speak for that set of coaches.
Don't forget that College season will be already ongoing, so not many (if any) coaches will be in attendance, specially D1 or D2 schools. I'm sure there will be few D3 and NAIA local coaches there. Like I said before, this year's Surf will be just an expensive local tournament, if it will happen.

I give it 10% to occur at all. 2% to occur with the kind of teams we are used to seeing.

Best shot for fall play is to come up with a solid covid plan. Soccer has to have something intelligent to say when teams talk to the health department. Thermometer readings, alternate weekends off, contact tracing, ban spectators, isolated fields only, mandatory 3 weeks off for both teams if there was a positive player, and so on.

If we keep asking for 20,000 person gatherings, we will never get anything. Ask Mom for a kitten, not a pony.
OK, 10% is better than 9%. I say 75% a yes in SD. My wife asked me if she could rescue a horse back in 2003. She said it was free and I said, "ok." Well, it wasn;t free after all. I had to pay $400 a month to give Champagne a home. My wife didnt share that. I say go for it all now. Life is short. Time to risk it all. Only healthy parents and healthy kids can play. Besides temp reading, we need scales for the parents.

Do you think mom will go for a dog?

Don't forget that College season will be already ongoing, so not many (if any) coaches will be in attendance, specially D1 or D2 schools. I'm sure there will be few D3 and NAIA local coaches there. Like I said before, this year's Surf will be just an expensive local tournament, if it will happen.
I keep hearing this argument that college coaches won't travel to recruit during the season. How do football and basketball coaches do it?

Live Stream for the coaches is the way to go Mr buck. Local coaches can make the drive if they like and out of state can watch on TV. I was told that big time coaches want a few more looks before the sign a kid.
I'm hoping this is a positive that comes out of this current ordeal, some adaptation with technology so the kids can get out there and play to be showcased.

Great point by @dad4 in regards to targeting something more realistic goals for return to play, baby steps will get our kids closer to playing.

Unfortunately the business aspect of club soccer has those leading these conversations towards a return to big business tournaments and doesn't align with some simplistic showcases, players only, no vendors, no parents, eliminate big crowds.

Clubs are trying to create "bubbles" but already hearing stories of positive cases and teams being sent back home for 2-3 weeks for quarantining setting them back to square one.

I have a great idea for SCS and their tournament directors Surf Cup Labor Day Best of the Best ((True risk takers. My dd is all in and I'm working my ass off to lose more weight. I got depressed and fell off the wagon. Shhhhhh, my wifey dont know. Please dont be a bitch and snitch on me.....lol)) Each team drives charter bus in style to their hotel and fields. Four Day, four games for all to see live on TV. No parents allowed except TM and few to keep an eye on the girls. All games live stream for all to watch at home. My wife's parents are getting so old their memory is going away., They would like to see there're little rocket girl play one more game or games. Grandpa went to one game last year ((I wont mention names)) and he was appalled at the lack of effort ganas. It was 103 out in LA so I told him to cut the girls some slack. He is one hard ass to please.......

What college seasons are you talking about? D2 and D3 seasons cancelled nationwide for the Fall. Others may follow.

Back