Is DA done?

Knowing its not finalized as yet, whats the general consensus on MLS Academy age groups? Are people thinking/hearing its going to be U15, U16, and U17 with 19 going away? Or is the feeling U15 and U17?

According to our DA director, the new league will be called something like "MLS Academy" and while the details are still being worked out, it will mostly work like the DA did minus about 20% of the clubs that jumped to ECNL. They are adding Phx Rising at all levels, Liverpool in OC and some other clubs.

What will likely be different is that the u19 level might go away because MLS clubs feel that if you aren't ready to be signed by then it won't be worth their time. What teams like LAUFA, TFA, Nomads, etc will do with that age group remains to be seen. Beyond that they are getting rid of the gap year, likely getting rid of the sub rules. Not much else will change. Our DOC said MLS clubs have to do this because otherwise they couldn't afford their academies since they'd have to fly to almost every game.

Our DOC is full of shit in general, but if you liked the DA, it sounds like it will still be the DA. The downside of course is that losing the six clubs in southern CA means that there will be more out of state travel to Arizona since there will be at least three clubs there (Barca, Rising, RSLAZ). It will be interesting to see if those clubs that left try to get back in or stick with ECNL.

They said MLS is meeting today about it and final details will be available in the next couple of weeks. Basically MLS is going to do everything US Soccer resisted doing that the wanted to do. I still maintain southern CA clubs should have an alliance to play each other and limit the travel (why play Rising three times when you can play Strikers three times and not pay for a hotel, miss school, etc) but that would require DOC's to think about the best interests of the kids first.

Both this new MLS/USYS and ECNL have come out with support for cross play among leagues.

We will be "scheduling" game vs these two. didn't say what kind of games: friendllies, tournament's or league but they did say they'll be playing.

Take a team like Phx Rising which will have team in both along with USL ones. Now they have a full gambit, some of the socal ones will be doing the same. Some will think that means dilution but not necessarily they can keep the quality high. Are there best players all going to play ECNL because of college scouting possibilities or because they used to play DA? no there is going to be a mash up. Same goes for the formers DA's are the all going to jump to the new MLS/USYS no some will go USL, ECNL, regular club, or just won't be able to afford soccer anymore. The former DA subsidies (20-30k per) and travel scholarships won't be there from ussda so the clubs parents are so he's going to have to cover that, making things even more expensive.

These fluffy pieces about xyx club going to xyz league and taking xyz teams and players with are assuming but in reality is not going be so linear. Each season is different players & coaches come and the teams are different. Especially this year if and when things open back up.

Knowing its not finalized as yet, whats the general consensus on MLS Academy age groups? Are people thinking/hearing its going to be U15, U16, and U17 with 19 going away? Or is the feeling U15 and U17?

Three age groups to be determined was the latest: U15, u17 almost certain with one more.

I'm going to take a stab and say u18/19 at least for the first season because those MLS orgs have already invested in those players and they don't want to see the 2003/02's just walk away with no return especially with how everything ended early this season..

Now that USYS is involved might be other age groups for the non-mls clubs. This is why you're seing clubs like TFA and LAUFA as mentioned since they tradionally been focused on the youngers.

The pitch...play in the MLS league if we pick up your players we will share the $$$ solidarity payments with you if they work out.

If the MLS league seems a little ad hoc and making it up as they go, that's probably because it is. That has caused some to be worried about its viability. We'll see. Even if it has lasting power, it does appear they're taking other clubs to complete the schedule rather than to upgrade the competition, which makes you wonder if those clubs/players will get the full benefits

Reactions: Son
If the MLS league seems a little ad hoc and making it up as they go, that's probably because it is. That has caused some to be worried about its viability. We'll see. Even if it has lasting power, it does appear they're taking other clubs to complete the schedule rather than to upgrade the competition, which makes you wonder if those clubs/players will get the full benefits

It's all fluid at the moment no matter what org or league.

The journalists are just guessing just like we are somewhat.

Every former DA club is not going to want to play in MLS/USYS no matter what they say. Some are happy to get.away from MLS and have a "real chance" for a championship is what I've heard at least twice now in the last week. Very few clubs in socal claimed those in 12 years in DA.

This is just a mess.

For years the MLS DAs have been trying to get rid of the non-MLS DAs. They wanted to form a league amongst only MLS DAs. That's why they split up the U19 into two divisions.

Now this new MLS/USYS league says all former non-MLS DAs can be a part of the new league. What non-MLS clubs in their right mind would want to play second class citizens to the MLS academies?

This is just a mess.

Yes and going to be that way for while. Is just there airing the dirty laundry out there. Could do the same for others but they don't care enough to

John Pranjić
@ThatCroatianGuy

According to USSF CEO Will Wilson, he made all of the decisions within the last two weeks. That means MLS had somewhere between 12-minutes and two-weeks to thoroughly analyze the situation and decide take on the project.

Do you believe them?

For years the MLS DAs have been trying to get rid of the non-MLS DAs. They wanted to form a league amongst only MLS DAs. That's why they split up the U19 into two divisions.

Now this new MLS/USYS league says all former non-MLS DAs can be a part of the new league. What non-MLS clubs in their right mind would want to play second class citizens to the MLS academies?

You're miss the $$$ part of the equation and the new solidarity agreements that they're working on, that's why.

Some clubs can't afford the big $$$ for there players to train 4x play, travel for league or showcases across the country with the da subsidies.

You're miss the $$$ part of the equation and the new solidarity agreements that they're working on, that's why.

Some clubs can't afford the big $$$ for there players to train 4x play, travel for league or showcases across the country with the da subsidies.

We'll see how this looks once the training compensation and solidarity payment checks start flowing.

This is just a mess.

Why? Because they don't have every detail ironed out during a massive transition while a 100-year pandemic is going on? So parents like you and I have all of the details immediately?

Why don't we exercise some patience and see what comes out of this before passing judgment? Clearly they have some time to iron out the details, the current season is over and we are in a dead period for the foreseeable future.

By the way, I highly doubt that EVERY non-MLS DA team is offered to be in this new MLS league. Even that first tweet merely said "every former DA club will have a place to play" (paraphrasing), it didn't say where.

Why? Because they don't have every detail ironed out during a massive transition while a 100-year pandemic is going on? So parents like you and I have all of the details immediately?

Why don't we exercise some patience and see what comes out of this before passing judgment? Clearly they have some time to iron out the details, the current season is over and we are in a dead period for the foreseeable future.

By the way, I highly doubt that EVERY non-MLS DA team is offered to be in this new MLS league. Even that first tweet merely said "every former DA club will have a place to play" (paraphrasing), it didn't say where.

Agreed. I'm cautiously optimistic. That said, i dont think my son has had a single year where there wasnt some massive change in club/structure/age/DA etc. Can't imagine other sports are like this. All that said, spend anytime in the Girls DA/ECNL threads and the boys side seems perfect.

MLS just hired Jay Berhalter as a consultant for the new MLS league.

On one hand, can't stand the idea of Jay Berhalter. On the other, read a couple of references that the DA was his baby, so maybe the right/most informed guy to help out now. Hopefully, because they're starting largely from scratch and folks have a very low expectations, they'll be able to do things better.

At the end of the day though, it's hard not to be concerned that MLS self-interest will prevail at the expense of others.

Also, love Charles Boehm generally, but he mucked up the quote from the MLS guy. The quote was that every former DA team would "have a place to play," not that every former DA club would have a place in the MLS league.

MLS just hired Jay Berhalter as a consultant for the new MLS league.

On one hand, can't stand the idea of Jay Berhalter. On the other, read a couple of references that the DA was his baby, so maybe the right/most informed guy to help out now. Hopefully, because they're starting largely from scratch and folks have a very low expectations, they'll be able to do things better.

At the end of the day though, it's hard not to be concerned that MLS self-interest will prevail at the expense of others.

Also, love Charles Boehm generally, but he mucked up the quote from the MLS guy. The quote was that every former DA team would "have a place to play," not that every former DA club would have a place in the MLS league.
MLS will be less inclined to self deal bc the youth soccer community is their fan base. If they are smart and trying to filter players to the MLS and expanding the MLS & its fan base, youth soccer is small potatoes and self dealing will cost them more than it's worth in the long run.

US Soccer had nothing to lose and therefore no incentive to behave better.

They have to cut expensive and no I don't think that why they want to include non-mls, travel and other things are behind that like USYS.
Totally agree that they always needed to include more local clubs to reduce travel, even apart from the financial crisis, although I'm sure they hoped those clubs would provide the best non-MLS teams and I don't know that they achieved that overall. Just suggesting that MLS' ability and appetite to carry the league has limits, and those limits are now greater. It will be interesting to see how they set up the fee structure for the non-MLS clubs.

Heard high school will not be an option in the MLS league

Who is saying that? First time I've even heard that mentioned.

When youth soccer gets close to returning I'm sure we will find out the details on how organizations & leagues are going to run, the age groups, rosters, sub, out/inside comps, rules, travel, tournaments, showcases etc. Right now no body really knows, what was done in past is just that. The new landscape is shaping up to be different buts it's so fluid only time will tell.

My advice is play soccer, gave some fun, and choose clubs, coaches, teams that are supportive and have good reputations.

The whole chase the college athletic partial scholarship for soccer deal should'nt be the focus. Your kids great grades and character will go farther in getting accepted.

The days of getting special admin due to athletics are pretty much over at the big colleges. Even at UCLA if you not in the average range of requirements they won't even give you a offer. The range for GPA for incoming freshman is 4.0 to 4.29 and you need socal and character reference or work also. If you have a 3.5 GPA and play soccer to count on offers from the the big D1 colleges they have so many possible applicants they just move on to the next.

At the better D2's 3.5gpa is possible for some schools that have lower admission standards while other require 3.7+ even the the minimum requirement is just what like a 2.2 GPA for a scholarship. D3 there are no set gpa requirements, up to schools but still have to meet the NCAA A-G course work in college.

Financial need is a big part of scholarships, example our son had offer from a pretty high profile college but it cost $55,000 a year. Coach likes him wants to make him an offer but explain to him they only get about 6 scholarships and nobody gets a full one and it's based on economic need basically he's going to get nothing in a nut shell.

Our daughter decided that she wasn't going to play college soccer and she managed to get over a dozen scholarships based on academic character, social, and Civic things she does. some of those were smaller amounts but it all added up enough to pay for her college for the first two years.

College soccer while that's another topic all together, the short limited season is really not conducted for serious soccer players. Many end up having to play and some other leagues like usl 2, upsl, etc to keep developing.
I agree play for fun 1st but I have had a very different experience working with athletes and non athletes getting into colleges.

The days of being a non student and getting into college are indeed gone but I can name plenty of examples of 3.5 non AP kids getting into UCLA to play sports- not just revenue sports. You just have to be good enough if you are indeed a D1 prospect.

The low income Strong student athlete is the real unicorn as they can usually go for free with pell grants and needs based aid

middle class and up are going to have to pay for their students education unless they are like your daughter. Merit money is very hard to come by but it’s there especially at private schools

I’d argue however that the D1 sport scene is not a great option for the student athlete. They “own” you for lack of a better word and often discourage their players from difficult courses and majors

D2 is a great balance and the D3 schools are often the top academic choices- finally NAIA often have the most $ for their student athletes you’de be surprised

every kid wants to play at UCSB etc keep you options open, be willing to leave the west coast and you can play

lastly right now the “serious soccer player” sadly doesn’t have much of an option at all in the US on the pro stage- not even worth the time IMO

Back