Is DA done?

Who is saying that? First time I've even heard that mentioned.

When youth soccer gets close to returning I'm sure we will find out the details on how organizations & leagues are going to run, the age groups, rosters, sub, out/inside comps, rules, travel, tournaments, showcases etc. Right now no body really knows, what was done in past is just that. The new landscape is shaping up to be different buts it's so fluid only time will tell.
Didn’t mean it as a fact . Meant it more as a question since it supposed to be like DA so people were thinking no high school. My bad.

MLS just hired Jay Berhalter as a consultant for the new MLS league.

On one hand, can't stand the idea of Jay Berhalter. On the other, read a couple of references that the DA was his baby, so maybe the right/most informed guy to help out now. Hopefully, because they're starting largely from scratch and folks have a very low expectations, they'll be able to do things better.

God, no. DA/MLS needs a fresh start. He may be experienced, but he ran a completely failed organization. Unfortunately that is something you see all the time in business.

While I'm skeptical of the MLS/DA league, I'm taking a wait and see approach. This is so fresh and we can speculate til were blue in the face (not saying that isn't fun). The reality is youth soccer is not restarting for a while, particularly if we have to meet the 6 benchmarks that Newsom laid out. This may sound blasphemous, but I haven't really missed soccer that much and my son even less so, but he has a ton of other interests. Maybe there is a message there I'm missing?

While I'm skeptical of the MLS/DA league, I'm taking a wait and see approach.
I just think the MLS is not interested in adding a lot of non MLS DA clubs. After all they were not happy having their teams play non DA teams due to quality differences right? So why when you get a chance to have your own league for your MLS academies would they go back and add in A LOT of non MLS DA clubs? I don't think they do. Some? Sure.

I agree play for fun 1st but I have had a very different experience working with athletes and non athletes getting into colleges.

The days of being a non student and getting into college are indeed gone but I can name plenty of examples of 3.5 non AP kids getting into UCLA to play sports- not just revenue sports. You just have to be good enough if you are indeed a D1 prospect.

The low income Strong student athlete is the real unicorn as they can usually go for free with pell grants and needs based aid

middle class and up are going to have to pay for their students education unless they are like your daughter. Merit money is very hard to come by but it’s there especially at private schools

I’d argue however that the D1 sport scene is not a great option for the student athlete. They “own” you for lack of a better word and often discourage their players from difficult courses and majors

D2 is a great balance and the D3 schools are often the top academic choices- finally NAIA often have the most $ for their student athletes you’de be surprised

every kid wants to play at UCSB etc keep you options open, be willing to leave the west coast and you can play

lastly right now the “serious soccer player” sadly doesn’t have much of an option at all in the US on the pro stage- not even worth the time IMO

Good feedback, yeah all I know about is what my kids have been through the last 18months or so. That UCLA example is very recent regarding soccer, first hand as we know incoming players and had discussions about that with the athletic staff. Football and other sports may be different but have no first hand info on that.

Grades and character came first no matter what universities they were interesting in, the athletic prowess or abilities was there and never in question. The culture, program fit, costs, campuses, and interactions with both staff and other students where what narrowed down the field.

Didn’t mean it as a fact . Meant it more as a question since it supposed to be like DA so people were thinking no high school. My bad.

Nothing to be bad about, good to question what's the parameters & rules maybe. Better to find out up front and help your player make the most informed decision.

Some clubs & organizations actually have a contract where they spell things out. Sometimes those terms can / do seem wacky especially to the kids . One of those maybe releated to high School sports or other activities discouragement. We personally know some who have walked away as a result in the past. A league wide ban well that's another topic, hopefully we've learned our lessons in that regard.

I just think the MLS is not interested in adding a lot of non MLS DA clubs. After all they were not happy having their teams play non DA teams due to quality differences right? So why when you get a chance to have your own league for your MLS academies would they go back and add in A LOT of non MLS DA clubs? I don't think they do. Some? Sure.

There is a background battle going in CA at least to scavenge the bones of the former ussda.

USYS+ MLS vs USclub (NPl & ECNL)

USYS has been dominant in Socal for a while mostly due to Cal South and all the clubs & players playing under them

USclub has been trying to make inroads for years in Socal and have been picking up steam and offering more NPL's,UPSL, USL and ECNL for the boys recently.

Too bad they can't work together more closely but they act like competitors more than not and that doesn't help the players.

Let's really see if there is going to be cross competition finally like ECNL & MLS/USYS have came out in favor of this week.

CAL South have to wonder about them now will they make another move...CRL "academy" like last year? Or something to counter MLS "elite' & USclub expansion

Our DOC said High School would not be an option. Maybe that is only for our club and not going to be a rule for the league.

When a u15 team shows up playing non DA with the exact same roster that it fielded the year before as a DA, it's the same team. In fact YSR considers it the same team because it counts 18 months of competition. Same coach, same players, same team. Also, there are several tournaments that DA teams participate in that they play non DA competition. You can keep drinking the koolaid but judgment has been rendered; complete failure of it's stated objective to create world class players. Also, I've had numerous conversations with the creator of YSR software; the algorithm is solid and works very well with as little as 8 games counted. Numbers don't lie.
LOL. No DA koolaid drinking here. We left the DA over a year ago and wouldn't go back.

Numbers don't lie, but models have limitations.

YSR's predictions are great, but as I said before, the numbers are not as good for teams further away in the graph. They favor teams that play more against lessor teams. If two teams have the same rating and one has played more games against lessor competition, the other team is more likely to win. This is why non SoCal teams have inflated numbers (and fare so poorly in tournaments vs. SoCal teams). It's not ysr's fault. It's how the model works. There's no possible way it can compensate for the lack of games between DA and non DA because the longer the cycle (using data from A played B played C played D to predict A vs. D) the less accurate the prediction. I'm sure the creator of ysr, whoever he may be, is aware of this. It's just how the math works.

If ysr is considering a former DA team as the same team, that can help tighten the cycles, but only so much because when a team ages out of DA, they usually loose one or two of their top players, which can make a big difference.

LOL. No DA koolaid drinking here. We left the DA over a year ago and wouldn't go back.

Numbers don't lie, but models have limitations.

YSR's predictions are great, but as I said before, the numbers are not as good for teams further away in the graph. They favor teams that play more against lessor teams. If two teams have the same rating and one has played more games against lessor competition, the other team is more likely to win. This is why non SoCal teams have inflated numbers (and fare so poorly in tournaments vs. SoCal teams). It's not ysr's fault. It's how the model works. There's no possible way it can compensate for the lack of games between DA and non DA because the longer the cycle (using data from A played B played C played D to predict A vs. D) the less accurate the prediction. I'm sure the creator of ysr, whoever he may be, is aware of this. It's just how the math works.

If ysr is considering a former DA team as the same team, that can help tighten the cycles, but only so much because when a team ages out of DA, they usually loose one or two of their top players, which can make a big difference.

So I would agree with much of that. I actually brought it up to the programmer a few years ago. I called it the sandbagging effect. If you take a team that is pretty decent but they are playing in a lot of low level tourneys and playing in a level below where they should be in league, they will beat teams by much more than the predicted outcome because of a demoralization factor. When teams are two or more goal difference in composites at the start of the game, the likelihood of that team getting beat by 4 or more goals goes up more than the linear prediction. You are correct, YSR doesn't and can't predict this. What it should do is have a diminishing effect on how it counts every goal that exceeds more than 4 goals over the expected outcome.

Here's what I don't agree with what you said; I have not seen the inflated effect in states outside of socal like you state and that's why SoCal disproportionately, even adjusting for population differences, dominates YSR rankings. Got soccer is the exact opposite because their methodology is severely flawed to the point of it being a statistical joke. In fact YSR is far superior in predicting SoCal in relation to the rest of the country because of their methodology of counting every official game and giving losing teams credit when they exceed expectations. In other states because there are fewer teams, the spread between the top and bottom is much more narrow and therefore it is more difficult to sandbag.

Anyway, we are splitting hairs I believe. I have no doubt that between the statistical models I have seen backed up by real life game outcomes, the overall composite average of non mls DA's around the nation would not even put them as a top 50 team in SoCal. In fact, I just ran a sample of 20 non mls da's around the country at U14 and their composite put them at 74th in SoCal! There are 74 teams in southern california alone that are as good or better than the average non mls DA and 250 teams around the country that are as good are better. That's astonishing. Sure there are factors that skew here and there and as you stated models have limitations but the fact is MLS finally figured out what a lot of people knew for years....DA was way, way, way overhyped at the point of being a sham. I'm glad you were able to recognize this as well when you moved on from it.

Would you mind providing a link to YSR?

I took a look seems like they only track certain leagues + gotsoccecr events.

Missing a lot of data possibly I dunno but good for them to provide a service people like, guess you can give them data or links to upload or something?

While this whole da shakeup and league mombo jumble is interesting to discuss I'm sort of glad on a personal level my son already made his commitments in FEB and signed up or participated in things in anticipatipn of next season that so far are still a go as planned.

I took a look seems like they only track certain leagues + gotsoccecr events.

Missing a lot of data possibly I dunno but good for them to provide a service people like, guess you can give them data or links to upload or something?

While this whole da shakeup and league mombo jumble is interesting to discuss I'm sort of glad on a personal level my son already made his commitments in FEB and signed up or participated in things in anticipatipn of next season that so far are still a go as planned.

YSR, tracks every single official result that shows up online, which is 95% + of all games. If there are games missing, there is usually a glitch on the reporting side. If the games were reported and don't show up, they have a self correcting feature. If that fails, they have a way for a team representative to point out the mistake and it is usually corrected within 48 hours. I have no idea what you are talking about because there is no other system that tracks the amount of games YSR does. Please provide a link to a more reliable or thorough system. My company would pay a lot for that service.

YSR, tracks every single official result that shows up online, which is 95% + of all games. If there are games missing, there is usually a glitch on the reporting side. If the games were reported and don't show up, they have a self correcting feature. If that fails, they have a way for a team representative to point out the mistake and it is usually corrected within 48 hours. I have no idea what you are talking about because there is no other system that tracks the amount of games YSR does. Please provide a link to a more reliable or thorough system. My company would pay a lot for that service.

Ok if you say so don't see the da games, bunch of tournaments other leagues like some of usclubs leagues, etc but whatever

Ok if you say so don't see the da games, bunch of tournaments other leagues like some of usclubs leagues, etc but whatever

Jpeter is right. I just looked for our team - a top non MLS DA (or at least used to be in that league) and YSR did not have the La Galaxy Cup, super Copa, or Generation Addidas tournaments. Those were probably 3 of the top 10 tournaments last year. And then they were counting some other team from our club in our record for 2018. Just keeping straight which team actually played is frequently a problem. And any person can email YSR rankings and tell them that the info is wrong and they will add or remove. I’m pretty sure no parent on here is going to reply that they asked YSR to include missing results that make their team look worse.

YSR is definitely the most accurate of the 2 sites that do this - by far - but it is more directionally correct vs completely accurate.

I think the biggest win of mixing DA vs non DA is that the playing styles are different. Possession, high press, counter attacking, bunker / pure long ball teams. At the youth level, it’s about making decisions and the more styles and types of players they encounter will test their soccer IQ - and hopefully develop.

Good post & article.

With the NCCA coming out this week in saying no Athletics until in person colleges resumes and the students return to campus there could be financial problems as a result. The non money makers could be in the most Jeopardy and we've already seen a few of them just drop soccer already especially at the smaller to mid sized universities.

Hopefully things get back on track eventually and the football money starts to pour in again but got to hurt losing the basketball tournament and funds that would have been collected

could see MLS taking TFA, and maybe Barca (their location is a tough travel)
Tough travel is right. How would the MLS travel work? This seems a bit crazy if you do not
I don't have a son that plays for LAFC. I have been to many of their youth matches and scouted many of their players. I'm just making observations on what I have seen from tracking players/teams for many years using stats and real results over hype. Was anything I said about them not true or overly biased? I know for a fact they have been beating up non-mls DA's for the last few years and sometimes with youngers. You can't have a so called uniform DA system when there is a 5-6 goal difference between the top and bottom. It's bad for both ends of the spectrum.
We have quite a few friends with boys on those teams. We have played against and sometimes been close. Always enjoyed watching them play. They are always very strong. I agree about the goal differential. Often not a lot of parity among that DA bracket at all.

A good article with a ray of hope for what could come next. SoccerAmerica has done more in the last two years to hold the powers that be accountable than most - if not all - other soccer pubs. In these tough times, probably worth subscribing to 1) stay up developments in a rapidly changing environment 2) help keep these guys afloat

Key quote the article:

"It's incumbent on owners to take the lead in this," he (FC Dallas Dan Hunt) said, "and I want to be that person. I hope we have some other fellow owners who care, and I know we do, but we have people with varying interests in how they develop young players. For any ownership group to say they don't have good talent in their market is farcical for me. It's a joke because it tells me you are not working at it."
Any time he hears that from another owner he says he laughs and asks, "Is the DNA of a player in Dallas better than the DNA of a player in your market? Then people get real quiet because they know it's because of a lack of effort."
Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 9.15.18 AM.png

Back