How much ECNL roster movement on your kid’s team?

With the demise of the DA I am curious to see how much ECNL roster turnover really occured?

My 2007 daughter had her first practice last night. 2007 team, so there was going to be some movement anyways. Looks like her team brought back 12, added 3 from outside the club and promoted 1 girl from the regional team. 1 spot still open as the roster is being capped at 17.

4 players from last year (had 16 on roster) were bumped down a level to the regional team. Assuming they will fill the last spot with a player from outside the club in the coming weeks, or maybe promote another kid from the regional team as they added a bunch of new players to that team.

With the demise of the DA I am curious to see how much ECNL roster turnover really occured?

My 2007 daughter had her first practice last night. 2007 team, so there was going to be some movement anyways. Looks like her team brought back 12, added 3 from outside the club and promoted 1 girl from the regional team. 1 spot still open as the roster is being capped at 17.

4 players from last year (had 16 on roster) were bumped down a level to the regional team. Assuming they will fill the last spot with a player from outside the club in the coming weeks, or maybe promote another kid from the regional team as they added a bunch of new players to that team.
My daughters 2005 ECNL team had 16 players last year.
This season 2 players went to RL and 2 RL got promoted.
We also picked up 6 players from DA and capping our roster to 22 players.

8-9 kids per age group. Wow, that’s a lot. Did they all move to the same ECNL club?
4 age groups involved, so 4-5 kids per age group.
They went to 2 different ECNL clubs.
In some cases they displaced ECNL players and in other cases the ECNL team just expanded the roster (I think some lower level ECNL players on those teams may settle themselves down one level over time).

The game roster size for ECNL and most of tournamentse should be 18 players. So, four players would not be invited for each game. It was very common at DA, which usually had large roster size.

I'm all good at 18 or 22 for a roster, just be honest and keep your word. If a male coach tells a 15 year old girl to her face "I will only have 18 players" and then pulls the lie and add two more, that is called a very bad example as an adult male in this world to a young female. 22 is a good number for olders in ECNL because girls at this age quit, have other things to do and would like a day off and this and that. The goal is to have enough players to travel for playoffs if the team makes it. I'm told some teams are down to 15 by June. If coaches could learn to be honest and not lie so much, we would all be in a better place.

I'm all good at 18 or 22 for a roster, just be honest and keep your word. If a male coach tells a 15 year old girl to her face "I will only have 18 players" and then pulls the lie and add two more, that is called a very bad example as an adult male in this world to a young female. 22 is a good number for olders in ECNL because girls at this age quit, have other things to do and would like a day off and this and that. The goal is to have enough players to travel for playoffs if the team makes it. I'm told some teams are down to 15 by June. If coaches could learn to be honest and not lie so much, we would all be in a better place.
22 is a very common number for an ECNL roster. At the older ages there are injuries and other issues that reduce the actual number of players available for any particular game.

22 is a very common number for an ECNL roster. At the older ages there are injuries and other issues that reduce the actual number of players available for any particular game.
Yup. My dd had a swell coach who told 20 girls he will let them know whose sitting out based off their warm ups before the game. Then he would pick two lucky players to sit next to him as he bashed all the players playing. Talk about ego stroke.........

At this age to see so many kids sit on the bench is a horrible thing to do for the confidence of these young players. High School Soccer is even worse, you have 21 to 23 players for Frosh-Soft all the way to Varsity. My son played 1 year of HS soccer and he played more minutes than most bench players. By the 2nd year a lot of bench players quit and moved on to another sport.

To pay $4k a year for ECNL/ECRL and have your child on the bench for most of the game or in some cases not even get to play is just ridiculous. Especially now that college scholarships are drying up, there's no value to be in ECNL unless your child is a starter and very good.

At this age to see so many kids sit on the bench is a horrible thing to do for the confidence of these young players. High School Soccer is even worse, you have 21 to 23 players for Frosh-Soft all the way to Varsity. My son played 1 year of HS soccer and he played more minutes than most bench players. By the 2nd year a lot of bench players quit and moved on to another sport.

To pay $4k a year for ECNL/ECRL and have your child on the bench for most of the game or in some cases not even get to play is just ridiculous. Especially now that college scholarships are drying up, there's no value to be in ECNL unless your child is a starter and very good.
Here's what I've learned. Some girls in HS/ECNL or any team for that matter just want to be a part of a team and they know they might get in the game late or not at all. My dd could never do that and neither could I. Ridiculous for you and me, but not for everyone. I used to think the same way until I actually spoke to a few of my dd friends and why they play soccer. I feel bad now and see how judgie I was towards others.

Here's what I've learned. Some girls in HS/ECNL or any team for that matter just want to be a part of a team and they know they might get in the game late or not at all. My dd could never do that and neither could I. Ridiculous for you and me, but not for everyone. I used to think the same way until I actually spoke to a few of my dd friends and why they play soccer. I feel bad now and see how judgie I was towards others.

If the kids are find with being on the bench and pushing themselves to get better and have friends, then it makes a lot of sense.

My boys hated being on the bench and getting yelled at by the coaches. They recognized that they didnt have the love for soccer. Once they quit soccer and they went on to do track and wrestling, they did amazing. I believe that the discipline developed in team sports and the fact that they had to work very hard to get better made them relentless in the new sports. It was a blast with my boys and now I have my 11 year daughter as a redo. If she decides to quit soccer, I will be more than ok with this but she has to pick something else. For now, she is having a blast on a flight 2 team and I am not focused on rushing her to make it to the best team even if she has to sit on the bench. I definitely learned my lesson.

If the kids are find with being on the bench and pushing themselves to get better and have friends, then it makes a lot of sense.

My boys hated being on the bench and getting yelled at by the coaches. They recognized that they didnt have the love for soccer. Once they quit soccer and they went on to do track and wrestling, they did amazing. I believe that the discipline developed in team sports and the fact that they had to work very hard to get better made them relentless in the new sports. It was a blast with my boys and now I have my 11 year daughter as a redo. If she decides to quit soccer, I will be more than ok with this but she has to pick something else. For now, she is having a blast on a flight 2 team and I am not focused on rushing her to make it to the best team even if she has to sit on the bench. I definitely learned my lesson.
My dd never played volleyball until last year. She tried out for the Fr team and wasnt good enough to start but had potential. We had so many players they were able to make a B team. My dd and other players were asked to choose one of the following: Be on the "A" team and never play or be on the "B" team and play all the time. Some had best friends on the A team and picked that option. Some kids have to play or its a waste of time so my dd picked guarantee starting spot. It was a lot more exciting for me and my wife too.

While I do not disagree with your overall statement, where did you get the idea that college scholarships are drying up? Is this from the hysteria that a couple posters create? Because no women's college soccer programs have discontinued soccer because of Covid, nor have any announced a reduction in scholarships. Conferences and the NCAA have scholarship minimum requirements, so a school cannot just liberally drop scholarships to meet their budgets. Perhaps you are referring to men's soccer. A couple of schools did drop it, but the scholarship minimums apply to the men too.

While I do not disagree with your overall statement, where did you get the idea that college scholarships are drying up? Is this from the hysteria that a couple posters create? Because no women's college soccer programs have discontinued soccer because of Covid, nor have any announced a reduction in scholarships. Conferences and the NCAA have scholarship minimum requirements, so a school cannot just liberally drop scholarships to meet their budgets. Perhaps you are referring to men's soccer. A couple of schools did drop it, but the scholarship minimums apply to the men too.

The money for sports programs and scholarships has been reduced and you may not be aware of the waivers that where granted. The previous levels of spending and budgets will not return for some time, will they recover to pre-covid19 levels?

Many universities on are facing a cash crunch that could overwhelm athletics programs. The NCAA, already has lost 1B dollars or more. 600M just from march madness. Hopefully football brings in some $$ but without fans that's going to be difficult.

Some schools have already promised a whole bunch of money to incoming freshmen. And they believed that we were going to be able to pay for that using the money that outgoing seniors would be vacating. And now some of them are not vacating.”

NCAA teams have the option of offering the year of eligibility with various scales of financial support, from full all the way to zero.

Back