GunScare @ Albion Cup?

While never afraid to blame clubs for diminishing the youth soccer landscape, blaming Albion for much of the above, including this incident is misdirected. Put more blame on Galway Downs. They are the host venue and responsible for everything from parking, porta-potties, fields, etc. Guessing Albion chose this venue over O'side, Polo Fields and Silverlakes because it saved some money. Well, you get what you pay for...guessing Albion might be having the same concerns as some of the parents here on the field.

As for the incident. Albion also suffers from name association with a satellite club that isn't the main club--Albion South (Chula Vista). As Surf, Albion and others expand their empire into 5-10+ other locations, the control of the parents, coaches and teams becomes a lot more difficult. The brand gets tarnished by others not under the main roof.

Just like it was her fault for what she wore right? Blaming the refs.... you've got to be kidding me.

Whether a perfectly or imperfectly called game, this behavior is not acceptable and falls 100% on the parents and their children. If you're looking to blame anyone else, blame the coaches, as this behavior does not magically manifest out of thin air and it's on them to manage their players.

CalSouth needs to take strong action against these players and the teams. Both teams are to play in Presidents for State Cup... both should be disallowed at a minimum.
I agree completely. Many coaches brush off parent and player bad behavior, especially during a final of rivals. Sorry but it is never acceptable to say or do anything to the ref or opposing side.

This behavior does not happen out of the blue and there needs to be a zero tolerance policy.

We had a bad parent on one of my kiddos team at U11 or 12. The coach refused to do anything but the guy was a timebomb. Anytime his kid was carded he lost it. We parents tried to keep him in line by walking him all the way to his car after games but it did not always work. He angrily approached refs a few times and we had to get in front of him. Good parents should not have to do this.

The issue I take with Ginns is that he said Calsouth needs to do something. Well it appears some of his parents rushed the field too. The only parent I would excuse is the parent whose kid got punched by the older sibling, but then again I really hope he did not punch a minor. What is Ginns going to do to his parents?

I agree completely. Many coaches brush off parent and player bad behavior, especially during a final of rivals. Sorry but it is never acceptable to say or do anything to the ref or opposing side.

This behavior does not happen out of the blue and there needs to be a zero tolerance policy.

We had a bad parent on one of my kiddos team at U11 or 12. The coach refused to do anything but the guy was a timebomb. Anytime his kid was carded he lost it. We parents tried to keep him in line by walking him all the way to his car after games but it did not always work. He angrily approached refs a few times and we had to get in front of him. Good parents should not have to do this.

The issue I take with Ginns is that he said Calsouth needs to do something. Well it appears some of his parents rushed the field too. The only parent I would excuse is the parent whose kid got punched by the older sibling, but then again I really hope he did not punch a minor. What is Ginns going to do to his parents?

I think you need to get your Facts straight - first off this was an Albion South Bay team vs some other LA team. To say that CalSouth needs to do something doesn’t exclude the club from doing something as well, but as we all know, this type of behavior happens at other tournaments and events as well - which falls into the CalSouth responsibility area. My kid was up in Silverlakes this weekend and things were getting heated on the adjacent field as well.

i agree with Canada, Albion likely booked this venue long in advance - probably werent aware the field conditions would be so bad. Parking at Galway is always terrible.

Finally, after reading the stories, etc... it sounded like the guy didn’t really have a gun and not to make excuses, but my guess, is in his mind he was trying to find a way to disperse the crowd/brawl. I’m pretty sure he didn’t realize it would throw the entire tournament into a mass panic/stampede.

I think the refs on this page who are denying any responsibility for this is exactly the problem. It’s their job to keep the game under control and they are the first line of defense. They have the power to stop play, to eject players, etc... if you let cheap fouls slide and do nothing, what do you think the other player is gonna do? Just take it? Of course they’ll retaliate. Your paid job is to protect the integrity of the game and the players. I’ve seen great refs who could tell parents were getting upset on the sidelines and would just kindly acknowledge to them that they see what’s going on and have it under control -usually this calms the parent down immediately - just being acknowledged.

not to say these situations are entirely the refs fault, but they certainly play a role and have a certain level of responsibility to deescalate situations.

I think you need to get your Facts straight - first off this was an Albion South Bay team vs some other LA team. To say that CalSouth needs to do something doesn’t exclude the club from doing something as well, but as we all know, this type of behavior happens at other tournaments and events as well - which falls into the CalSouth responsibility area. My kid was up in Silverlakes this weekend and things were getting heated on the adjacent field as well.

i agree with Canada, Albion likely booked this venue long in advance - probably werent aware the field conditions would be so bad. Parking at Galway is always terrible.

Finally, after reading the stories, etc... it sounded like the guy didn’t really have a gun and not to make excuses, but my guess, is in his mind he was trying to find a way to disperse the crowd/brawl. I’m pretty sure he didn’t realize it would throw the entire tournament into a mass panic/stampede.

I think the refs on this page who are denying any responsibility for this is exactly the problem. It’s their job to keep the game under control and they are the first line of defense. They have the power to stop play, to eject players, etc... if you let cheap fouls slide and do nothing, what do you think the other player is gonna do? Just take it? Of course they’ll retaliate. Your paid job is to protect the integrity of the game and the players. I’ve seen great refs who could tell parents were getting upset on the sidelines and would just kindly acknowledge to them that they see what’s going on and have it under control -usually this calms the parent down immediately - just being acknowledged.

not to say these situations are entirely the refs fault, but they certainly play a role and have a certain level of responsibility to deescalate situations.

We were watching the game and the refs had it managed, there were about 4 yellow cards given including to the coach. The sidelines were yelling at them for every call, the coaches were yelling at him but they maintained the game. Immediately when the sideline sibling charged the field all refs ran to diffuse the situation but then the entire sideline erupted onto the field. The coaches ran in to also try to break it up, and eventually the center ref managed to get out of the scuffle, blew his whistle called the game and walked away. What more could he have done?

Get your facts straight. To say Ginns has no control over Albion South is a joke. Blaming the refs is a poor excuse for not taking personal responsibility for yourself and those that are directly under your control/ability to get rid of -bad parents and players.

i remember one year, for reasons i'll never understand, it became "fashionable" to wears clothes with "thug life" written on them. kinda sez it all.

First, let me blame the Referee crew for even letting this get out of control. Cards need to be sent out early and game temperature needs to be managed. When I reviewed the video of the game I can see it was a individuals on the Azteca side and on the Albion South Bay B2009 fighting.......CalSouth needs to get serious and Ban both these Teams from anymore tournaments. We need to start to eliminate the "Ghetto Nature" out of our tournaments. New parents to our game need education on sideline behaviour and conflict resolution. Real Sad.

Can someone post video on it?

Do the events and venues need security people nowadays? Was there management people around handling the situation?

Heard there was at least one law enforcement spectator carrying a weapon which they may have had a permit for but chaos ensued because people saw the weapon.

Whether there was someone like a law enforcement officer that had an accidental exposure, this was NOT what caused the panic. It was 100% the individual with the camo backpack. An image of him is now on the news site URL below.

This image does not do justice to the behavior that was in the moment. This individual either had a weapon or was doing everything in his power to pretend he did. Adults around him saying "no no" and "don't do it" and you can understand this was beyond verbal and was non-verbal as well.

Do the events and venues need security people nowadays? Was there management people around handling the situation?

Heard there was at least one law enforcement spectator carrying a weapon which they may have had a permit for but chaos ensued because people saw the weapon.

These things get so jumbled with different stuff but the person in question was detained by a spectator who happen to be FBI or law enforcement until local authorities showed up. The person is question was going for his cell phone in a bag and not a weapon (none was found) so was released.

Reactions: Wez
i remember one year, for reasons i'll never understand, it became "fashionable" to wears clothes with "thug life" written on them. kinda sez it all.
I wouldn’t go around bragging that you don’t know why Thug Life is/was popular. My 12 year old daughter wasn’t even a thought in the 90s and she knows exactly what/who Thug Life references. Tupac also has absolutely no tangential relationship to youth soccer. A small group of parents or siblings deciding to go to blows over a youth soccer game speaks more to controlling one’s own emotions than to rap music or anything else that you may not comprehend.

Put the parents on the same side as the team/coaches. Impossible to control your parents from 80 yards away.
Especially at the younger age groups. We had a couple of tournaments years ago that had the format of parents on the same side as team/coaches and it had a startling effect of parents mouthing off to the refs.

Reactions: wsf
These things get so jumbled with different stuff but the person in question was detained by a spectator who happen to be FBI or law enforcement until local authorities showed up. The person is question was going for his cell phone in a bag and not a weapon (none was found) so was released.
If the individual did not have a gun, I can tell you the individual was doing EVERYTHING in their power to pretend they did.

You do not keep your hand in the bag for 2 minutes acting and moving in a threatening manner if you are looking for your phone. He knew what he was doing and everyone around got the message.

What a very scary incident. Hopefully the parents and kids can put the brain stain of running in fear for their lives behind them.

Unfortunately, this will just be swept under the rug by Albion just like the incidents with their coach that was asking for sexual favors from his teen girl players. In fact, Albion is already claiming that the young fan that ran on the field to fight was from the LA team as if that absolves them from any responsibility for the incident (per 10News report). A witness claims it was an Albion fan or sibling that came on the field. Does it matter? Nope, not one bit. It takes two to tango and as host of the tourney their teams should be beyond reproach. You can't take all of the benefits of a tourney ($$$) without the responsibilities. This wasn't some minor scuffle, parents and kids were actually running and hiding for fear for their lives. This is an issue that should be addressed and not dismissed as "there really was no gun". If they (NG) had any amount of integrity, at a minimum they would refund the teams that were at the facility at the time of the incident and the teams that had their final game cancelled...in addition to issuing an apology.

If Calsouth actually cared for the safety of the players they should come down hard on both teams and their should also be repercussions for both clubs. It is a Calsouth sanctioned tournament after all.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Albion is 100% culpable (nor is Azteca without significant responsibility), but this sort of crap is beyond unacceptable. Albion and Calsouth should set the example and "do the right thing", maybe, just maybe, it might prevent an incident like this in the future.

Thankfully nobody injured or killed, so the resolution is fairly simple:

1 - the players fighting -- if there was fighting, these 2 should be banned from State Cup - Cal South and the club(s) responsible for doing so. If a kid ran from the sideline and threw punches, there should be charges filed against that kid. Juvenile misdemeanor but some time cleaning soccer tournament porta-potties in the future would be an age appropriate consequence if under 16yrs.

2 - if the facts bear out (talk to the refs) that this team's sideline was unruly (more than one guy) then the entire team should be banned from State Cup - Cal South responsible for this one.

3 - If the team is a non-Albion team, then as Albion Club, I would ban the other club from any other future tournaments they hold for a time certain -- maybe next year or the next 2 years. If Albion South provoked then Albion SD needs to remove those players n families off the team.

4 - If other teams didn't like the tournament, don't play in it next year and don't give your money to Albion, but don't go crying for a refund because your kid missed out on a medal.

5 - Clubs holding tournaments at Galway Downs (State Cup too?) should be aware that the facility is a "poor man's" Silverlakes - let the buyer beware (not that Silverlakes et al. don't have their own parking, traffic and other problems as they certainly do).

6 - The camo backpack guy - lifetime ban from all CalSouth soccer events. (assuming there is enough witness proof that he was the cause) and a public shaming with his name released via media.

At some point families are going to say enough is enough with this youth soccer privatization and club craziness and start to look to other sports without all the drama, time and money commitments.

I look forward to watching a REAL championship game tonight that has REAL meaning for its players and families. LSU looks tough to beat.

Thankfully nobody injured or killed, so the resolution is fairly simple:

1 - the players fighting -- if there was fighting, these 2 should be banned from State Cup - Cal South and the club(s) responsible for doing so. If a kid ran from the sideline and threw punches, there should be charges filed against that kid. Juvenile misdemeanor but some time cleaning soccer tournament porta-potties in the future would be an age appropriate consequence if under 16yrs.

2 - if the facts bear out (talk to the refs) that this team's sideline was unruly (more than one guy) then the entire team should be banned from State Cup - Cal South responsible for this one.

3 - If the team is a non-Albion team, then as Albion Club, I would ban the other club from any other future tournaments they hold for a time certain -- maybe next year or the next 2 years. If Albion South provoked then Albion SD needs to remove those players n families off the team.

4 - If other teams didn't like the tournament, don't play in it next year and don't give your money to Albion, but don't go crying for a refund because your kid missed out on a medal.

5 - Clubs holding tournaments at Galway Downs (State Cup too?) should be aware that the facility is a "poor man's" Silverlakes - let the buyer beware (not that Silverlakes et al. don't have their own parking, traffic and other problems as they certainly do).

6 - The camo backpack guy - lifetime ban from all CalSouth soccer events. (assuming there is enough witness proof that he was the cause) and a public shaming with his name released via media.

At some point families are going to say enough is enough with this youth soccer privatization and club craziness and start to look to other sports without all the drama, time and money commitments.

I look forward to watching a REAL championship game tonight that has REAL meaning for its players and families. LSU looks tough to beat.

Excellent suggestions. I would just add that the best way to get a club's attention is to target their pocketbook, that's what most DOC's care about most. I doubt Albion leadership is going to shed a tear for one of their affiliate teams being banned. I would suspend this tournament for next year and pull Calsouth sanctioning from Albion Cup for this year. Any Azteca tournaments should be suspended as well.

Excellent suggestions. I would just add that the best way to get a club's attention is to target their pocketbook, that's what most DOC's care about most. I doubt Albion leadership is going to shed a tear for one of their affiliate teams being banned. I would suspend this tournament for next year and pull Calsouth sanctioning from Albion Cup for this year. Any Azteca tournaments should be suspended as well.
Where is Team Azteca located in California? Or are they from Tijuana?

Back