GunScare @ Albion Cup?

Are you saying from tijuana or los angeles because most kids are hispanic? I actually know the coach and is a very well respected coach in the community and has coached for many yrs with alot of awards under his belt . I dont think you guys should blame coaches for what happen it is us as parents to keep the sidlines safe and quiet from offensive remarks about players refs etc. In my opinion the only one to put blame is the teen running on field and started the whole drama. Secondly parents have no right or business on field regardless of situation until called in for serious injury . I know for a fact the coach is really pissed off at both sides of the parents for the way they were acting the whole game. Just let the kids play and handle their business on the soccer field on their own. Parents shut up and just cheer for your kid. Let coaches coach refs ref and players play just encourage stop with the negativity. Half of the parents on sideline have never played soccer in their lives and think they are professional coaches lmao

Coach absolutely has some blame if they can't also handle the parents. If parents acted this way this tournament, I highly doubt they've been quiet at other games/tourneys. This coach has enabled the parents to act that way. He could have warned parents that their kids will be benched if they yell at refs and actually do it. Solved VERY easily. To be fair, there are tons of other coaches that enable this behavior as well and it's their fault for that. That's why I say partial blame. Refs also have some blame. Red cards, threaten to cancel the game, kick out parents, etc. I agree the main blame is players and parents though.

The only blame here is the coach and the adults. Kids are not to blame, club can’t do anything to stop stupid people. Refs can’t do much here, heck I don’t think we will see refs now that people are trying to pull guns.

This is so sick that people have no life to ruin a sport that kids enjoy.

certainly pro 2A here . . . but did they even confirm that a gun was actually involved?

The other issue is 2nd amendment. The 2nd amendment original purpose is to allow States to call up their militia so that they could battle against the United States Armed Forces should they decide to leave the union. Back then, muskets and bayonets may be enough to bring down the US Army. Today, people use this law to buy toys like hunting gear. These rifles or hand guns can do nothing when the enemy is the US Armed Forces. 2nd amendment should allow the militia men to get heavier gears like Tanks, Anti Aircraft guns, Bombers etc. etc. We need to rethink the 2nd amendment. The way the 2nd amendment is used today, the state militia would be powerless against the US Armed Forces. With the law only allowing hand held weapons, I don't know how we can use it to defeat the Union if there is a need in the future. Ideas? Seem like not worth the trouble of even keeping this law given all the problem it is causing(random shootings) and no clear sight of it even having a chance to achieve its original intent(defeating the US Armed Forces).

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

I hate to say it but situations like this could give some soccer clubs and venues an excuse to raise fees by playing on the fears of the parents. I laughed at the other thread about a OC club charging $4,500-5k annually but I can see myself paying that if I were a new soccer parent. I’ve also read some posters wanting a security or a law enforcement presence at these tournaments and I can’t help but think of how much of a money grab this could become. Just thinking out loud.

Coach absolutely has some blame if they can't also handle the parents. If parents acted this way this tournament, I highly doubt they've been quiet at other games/tourneys. This coach has enabled the parents to act that way. He could have warned parents that their kids will be benched if they yell at refs and actually do it. Solved VERY easily. To be fair, there are tons of other coaches that enable this behavior as well and it's their fault for that. That's why I say partial blame. Refs also have some blame. Red cards, threaten to cancel the game, kick out parents, etc. I agree the main blame is players and parents though.

Had a real crazy dad way back during when my DDs were u littles at surf....coach was great but couldn't do anything when a parent ran on the field....if they are doing it often then it's on the coach but seems hard to see how the coach could have stopped this from what I've heard....

They'll be a lot of unintended consequences to such a rule. Refs will be reluctant to hand out cards for rough play (reserving cards instead for really egregious behavior...which is sort of the situation we have now with red cards since refs are so reluctant to hand them out, particularly at the younger ages), goalkeepers will be afraid to come off their line, fewer slide tackle attempts, a greater divide between the "let em play" school of refs (and parents) and the "by the book" school f refs (and parents) calling for cards on things like charging. It alters the structure of the game because that's what red cards are for...the egregious circumstances....wonder why using them has fallen out of favor? Find the answer to that and you have the answer to the card/game management problem.

That's why I said players AND coach. A coach doing his job seeing his players collecting yellows will intervene and deal with his players. If the coach is getting a yellow also, then it is time to end the game and refresh perspective. What happened yesterday should not happen. Police at every field where kids are playing soccer is unrealistic. We need to treat the disease and not the symptoms. This is just one idea. I am sure there are better ones, but there needs to be something where people can see they are approaching significant consequences and settle down.

I‘m not with either team but I was there and also have sources close to the situation. The facts reported in this thread are for the most part correct. The situation started with pushing and shoving by players from both teams but exploded when a teenage Azteca sibling ran onto the field and punched an Albion South player. What has not been reported here is that Albion South player‘s dad then ran onto the field and started beating on the Azteca teenager. Both sidelines immediately emptied and it was chaos. From what I have been told during the melee the Azteca parent with the backpack was jumped by four Albion South parents and was getting beaten up badly enough that he decided to say he had a gun, which put an end to all the fighting. He was detained but later released by the Sheriffs Dept. after they reviewed the video evidence which supported his story and was actually asked if he wanted to press charges on the Albion South parents that beat him up. From what I was told the Sheriff Dept. have identified the Albion South parent who got physical with the teen. It was a fast moving chaotic brawl in an already emotionally charged environment that escalated very fast. It was ugly and shameful. Plenty of blame to go around. Lots of people behaving badly on both sides. And I had one very freaked out 10 year old to talk down on the ride home.

Had a real crazy dad way back during when my DDs were u littles at surf....coach was great but couldn't do anything when a parent ran on the field....if they are doing it often then it's on the coach but seems hard to see how the coach could have stopped this from what I've heard....
Good coaches warn parents not to even talk to refs or the opposing team. If it keeps happening, the parent should be banned. If it still keeps happening, the kid should be cut. Coaches have a lot of power in these situations and they need to be dealt with early - before it comes to running on the field. (Though it sounds as if in this case it was a "brother" that started everything. Harder to control, but still the coach has some influence.)

I'm telling you - If they put a UFC cage at tournament venues and let upset parents fight it out - They could make a ton more money for the club.
Anyone lays a finger on someone outside of the cage is an automatic life time ban.
But once you get in the cage, it's Ready to Rumble!!!!!!
If you win your fight - your kid gets to stay in the league and continue to play. If you lose your fight, your kid gets a lifetime ban.
People will shut the hell up when they realize there is an actual chance that someone can legally punch them in the mouth.

I'm telling you - If they put a UFC cage at tournament venues and let upset parents fight it out - They could make a ton more money for the club.
Anyone lays a finger on someone outside of the cage is an automatic life time ban.
If you win your fight - your kid gets to stay in the league and continue to play. If you lose your fight, your kid gets a lifetime ban.
People will shut the hell up when they realize there is an actual chance that someone can legally punch them in the mouth.
Most people will shut up, but a few will get worse (because they think they're tough).

Good coaches warn parents not to even talk to refs or the opposing team. If it keeps happening, the parent should be banned. If it still keeps happening, the kid should be cut. Coaches have a lot of power in these situations and they need to be dealt with early - before it comes to running on the field. (Though it sounds as if in this case it was a "brother" that started everything. Harder to control, but still the coach has some influence.)

"if they are doing it often then it's on the coach" is what I said and stand by......a crazy parent or kid running on a field out the blue from 70 yards away.....not seeing how this is on the coach.....and I'm no fan of most coaches.....

True

I‘m not with either team but I was there and also have sources close to the situation. The facts reported in this thread are for the most part correct. The situation started with pushing and shoving by players from both teams but exploded when a teenage Azteca sibling ran onto the field and punched an Albion South player. What has not been reported here is that Albion South player‘s dad then ran onto the field and started beating on the Azteca teenager. Both sidelines immediately emptied and it was chaos. From what I have been told during the melee the Azteca parent with the backpack was jumped by four Albion South parents and was getting beaten up badly enough that he decided to say he had a gun, which put an end to all the fighting. He was detained but later released by the Sheriffs Dept. after they reviewed the video evidence which supported his story and was actually asked if he wanted to press charges on the Albion South parents that beat him up. From what I was told the Sheriff Dept. have identified the Albion South parent who got physical with the teen. It was a fast moving chaotic brawl in an already emotionally charged environment that escalated very fast. It was ugly and shameful. Plenty of blame to go around. Lots of people behaving badly on both sides. And I had one very freaked out 10 year old to talk down on the ride home.

This sounds like the most objective - and probably accurate view of what happened. Thanks for posting.

BTW - is there a video of the game posted somewhere? Link?

If the coach is getting a yellow also, then it is time to end the game and refresh perspective.

That's what the red is for. The yellow is a caution. Not that I CR a lot, but I don't hesitate to use the yellow. Get a ref in a bad mood or one of the tyranical ones on a power trip and you'll be having a lot of teams suspended. For the remainder of the refs (whether let em play or by the book), if refs aren't willing to use the red against coaches (because they know it will affect their livelihood potentially and it's a small community) I can't see them doing the yellow....the unintended consequence will be just more ref abuse because you've taken away a management tool to caution. But sure, issue a red to a coach, end the game and have the suspension reviewed by the league at that point...think that's fair.

This is the definitely the most accurate description of what I witnessed with my own eyes as well as others stories. Although the guy did not act or look injured from getting jumped, he seemeds very put together still.

My question though is why is it ok that the guy threatened to have a gun with hundreds of children around receives no consequences?

Imagine if this guy did this at Disneyland, a threat is a threat. We now have hundreds of traumatized children because of a threat.

I was there.

What happened in the melee, too hard to tell in the moment as there were too many bodies to focus on one.

Was the Azteca "gun" dad jumped? I'd not be surprised although I can tell you from ~15' away he showed no signs of bleeding, appeared to have no major signs of grass stains (then again no grass there #galwaysucks), clothing not torn or disheveled, and still had his hat on.

I can unequivocally state the individual (Azteca parent) who grabbed his bag was under no immediate threat when he went to get his bag. He left the vicinity of the fight on the right side of the field, walk to the left where his bag was, grabbed it, unzipped it, place his hand in, and put on his show.

I have 2 pictures of this individual taken a minute apart and never is anyone within 10' of this guy. Only as he continued to stand and move back and forth did some individuals approach him, and I'm not sure whether they were Albion or Azteca.

Back