GunScare @ Albion Cup?

To me the legal aspects of this incident are largely irrelevant. Youth soccer should take care of its own business regardless of what the PD does. If you don't regulate your own activities there could be a municipality or gov't agency that will. I don't think any of us want metal detectors and clear bags at soccer tournaments.

I agree. That is why the interested parties need to recognize this as something different and act before other authorities decide to act. As I said, angry, motivated people are not quickly dissuaded by deflection. The best solutions will come from reasonable soccer people who are willing to acknowledge a serious problem, take ownership of their role in it and have the will to address it. The problem is widespread, but it is not complicated. Few kids insist on heading the ball when younger than the rules allow because they disagree with the rule. And this is because there are foreseeable and immediate consequences sufficient to deter the conduct. If the headed goal was counted, but the player got a warning...well, who thinks that would work? Enforced rules work all over our society. Not perfect and not always, but that is hardly a basis to throw up one's hands and say nothing can be done. Codes of conduct need to be enforced and violators - clubs, coaches, parents, players - need consequences that are sufficient to deter others.

O.k. that disputes his claim. I'm asking. I've only heard what you're saying here, so I'm begging the question. You clearly have evidence or knowledge that he was acting and purposefully motioning like he had a firearm in his bag? I'm only asking if it's possible that he did not act or motion like it was a firearm and instead was just reaching for a cell phone in his bag? Video should show this if it is available, right?
The majority of the video we have seen was on the right side of the field, unsurprisingly, as that was where the melee was. "Gun" guy was on the left side of the field. There was a pole video cam on the field for "official" game videos. Last I heard the police where trying to access that.

If someone needed their cell phone would they walk to grab their bag, unzip, reach in, grab their phone but never pull it out and walk back towards the action in an aggressive manner for over a minute all while holding their bag with hand in it holding their phone while those around say "no, no" and "don't do it"? No.

I doubt you'd find few there that did not think this guy had or was pretending to have a weapon. You'll only find those that did or did not feel justified in running for their lives.

So there should be witnesses to this which then begs the question of legality. Too many moving parts on this. I'll let the authorities and officials unravel this onion.

I’ll agree that generally speaking kids reflect their parents but kids that don’t reflect their parents are more the exception and not the rule. I’m not wavering in my opinion but will concede that fact. I can see my opinion taking us down a “nature vs nurture” debate but that’s a rabbit hole I don’t want to jump down.
I think sometimes its too easy just to blame the parents. Generally kids reflect their parents behavior, but its not at all unusual for kids to be wired differently from their parents. I know crappy kids that have great parents, and great kids that happen to have crappy

@Emma , honest question...what would you have Albion do at this point? They are limited in their authority. They could suspend Azteca from future Albion tournaments--big deal. And, of course, could suspend players/parents on their own team but at this point the punk kid and gun guy appear to be the primary culpable parties. From their perspective (from interviews), their player got jumped, parents ran onto the field to restrain, then gun guy mouths off and causes "kids to run into houses" (didn't know there are houses at Galway?) As a good will gesture, they could offer discounted access to a future tournament to the teams that were still at the fields at the time, but that's not going to discourage the behavior in question.

CalSouth holds most/all the power for real sanctions. Give them till February to announce. There's no way that gun guy is the father of the little punk, right? Hmmm...wouldn't that be ironic.

Note: for newbies reading this, I have no affiliation with Albion nor any San Diego club.

I’m not a Noah gins fan at all. I find him arrogant and only interested in making money and not the best interests of the kids or his coaches.
The age groups my kids competed against had Albion teams with awful parents. But that’s true of lots of clubs and different teams.

that being said, what should Albion have done differently? Kids scuffle. Teen sucker punch. Albion parents run out to intervene. Azteca dad is stupid.

I don’t understand how Albion the organization is to blame? (Or even Azteca for that matter?)
Can someone explain what Albion should’ve done differently and what you’re asking for now?

Being steadfast on something that is clearly wrong seems... silly, but you be you. Someday you should meet my kids.
I’ve loosened my stance to some kids being the exception to the rule but generally kids reflect their parents. I’m not saying your point of view is wrong nor am I saying it’s right. Just because our stance differs doesn’t make it silly, it’s just a difference of opinion. We’re both entitled to it.

I'm surprised there wasn't at least one parent at the field complex who was an armed off duty officer who would have run towards the incident. I know quite a few whose kids played with us over the years who would have.

I'm surprised there wasn't at least one parent at the field complex who was an armed off duty officer who would have run towards the incident. I know quite a few whose kids played with us over the years who would have.
There were several Albion officials and/or coaches that came over once the melee broke out to help separate and calm people down. Once the "gun" guy scare occurred, I did not see anyone run towards the action, but we're talking about ~800-1,000 people stampeding.

There was a rumor that a father in the scuffle had an accidental exposure. There was also a rumor that this person was a LEO. Again, these were rumors and I have not heard/seen concrete evidence to support.

I’m not a Noah gins fan at all. I find him arrogant and only interested in making money and not the best interests of the kids or his coaches.
The age groups my kids competed against had Albion teams with awful parents. But that’s true of lots of clubs and different teams.

that being said, what should Albion have done differently? Kids scuffle. Teen sucker punch. Albion parents run out to intervene. Azteca dad is stupid.

I don’t understand how Albion the organization is to blame? (Or even Azteca for that matter?)
Can someone explain what Albion should’ve done differently and what you’re asking for now?

You are right that Albion could do little in that moment to stop the teenager from running onto the field and punching a 10 year old or the reaction of the parents to that event or the guy claiming he had a gun. The sideline problems are not confined to Albion or Azteca games and this was bound to happen somewhere. Well, now it has. What I am asking for now is Albion stepping forward as a voice that says sideline conduct is out of control and actually leading an initiative for change. My understanding is that Albion's coach and some of its players had yellows in that game and it was clear that things were getting out of hand. The interview the coach gave indicated that everything was great until the spectator ran on the field. It wasn't. The email that Albion sent on Sunday night noting how wonderful its tournament was, but oh by the way there was a "momentary incident" in connection with a "harmless verbal threat" was as much an "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play" moment as I have ever encountered. Their tournament was ruined. It ended in disaster. People were hiding. Albion should be incensed instead of deflecting and releasing asinine statements and giving tone-deaf interviews on TV. They should be demanding sanctioning authorities and peer clubs say "No more." And they should do it soon because people are getting more and more angry as days are ticking by.

@Emma , honest question...what would you have Albion do at this point? They are limited in their authority. They could suspend Azteca from future Albion tournaments--big deal. And, of course, could suspend players/parents on their own team but at this point the punk kid and gun guy appear to be the primary culpable parties. From their perspective (from interviews), their player got jumped, parents ran onto the field to restrain, then gun guy mouths off and causes "kids to run into houses" (didn't know there are houses at Galway?) As a good will gesture, they could offer discounted access to a future tournament to the teams that were still at the fields at the time, but that's not going to discourage the behavior in question.

CalSouth holds most/all the power for real sanctions. Give them till February to announce. There's no way that gun guy is the father of the little punk, right? Hmmm...wouldn't that be ironic.

Note: for newbies reading this, I have no affiliation with Albion nor any San Diego club.
You make my point. You are right that Albion's public statements reveal that they just don't get it. And you have to run pretty far to get to the houses at Galway. Those kids must have been pretty scared to run that far, wouldn't you say?

You make my point. You are right that Albion's public statements reveal that they just don't get it. And you have to run pretty far to get to the houses at Galway. Those kids must have been pretty scared to run that far, wouldn't you say?
Did Albion actually release a public statement?

I see nothing on their site post-incident except tryouts lol

I’ve been reading this thread. What a horrible situation. Unfortunately bad parent behavior at sporting events has been going on for a long time. Here is a story from near where I grew up in MA. One dad beat another to death during hockey practice in front of the kids.

You are right that Albion could do little in that moment to stop the teenager from running onto the field and punching a 10 year old or the reaction of the parents to that event or the guy claiming he had a gun. The sideline problems are not confined to Albion or Azteca games and this was bound to happen somewhere. Well, now it has. What I am asking for now is Albion stepping forward as a voice that says sideline conduct is out of control and actually leading an initiative for change. My understanding is that Albion's coach and some of its players had yellows in that game and it was clear that things were getting out of hand. The interview the coach gave indicated that everything was great until the spectator ran on the field. It wasn't. The email that Albion sent on Sunday night noting how wonderful its tournament was, but oh by the way there was a "momentary incident" in connection with a "harmless verbal threat" was as much an "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play" moment as I have ever encountered. Their tournament was ruined. It ended in disaster. People were hiding. Albion should be incensed instead of deflecting and releasing asinine statements and giving tone-deaf interviews on TV. They should be demanding sanctioning authorities and peer clubs say "No more." And they should do it soon because people are getting more and more angry as days are ticking by.

O.K., so someone reached out to me that says they were at that game. They said there were no, real abnormal interactions between the two sides during the game. It was an intense final with yellow cards though. A 13 or 14 year old boy runs on the field and suckerpunches a 10 year old kid trying to win a final. This is where it all starts according to my source. This is disturbing to me for obvious reasons and the biggest one is the attacker was 3 to 4 years older and bigger. I can't imagine how I would react if that was my kid.

Now, my source says the attacker was an Azteca fan and the victim boy was an albion chula vista player. I then heard that the gun faking individual was also an Azteca fan. The responsible parties all appear to be in The Azteca Club. That is where the liability falls. First to the individuals and parents and then maybe the club if they don't have rules of conduct for parents to abide by. How is this not assault though? He may be a minor, but his parents are liable for his actions. Lawyers and others with agendas will conflate whatever they can in this, but the bottom line is certain individuals acted poorly regardless what some want blame.

More rules and laws won't change much imo. It's competitive sports and fans get riled up and people should be responsible for their own actions not other people or entities unless they condone and/or allow this type of violent behavior. An Albion player was attacked right? You put two, emotional opposing fans right next to each other on a field and you think club rules are going to keep them from being human? I don't get what Albion did at all and if anything, they are victims. What am I missing? They don't need to lead the charge about sideline behavior. Fans get excited and always will

Again, the simple solution is to separate team fans with the field. One side for home and one side for away.

Please correct the record here if you were there and any of this is wrong? I'm just going by what someone told me that claimed to be there.

O.K., so someone reached out to me that says they were at that game. They said there were no, real abnormal interactions between the two sides during the game. It was an intense final with yellow cards though. A 13 or 14 year old boy runs on the field and suckerpunches a 10 year old kid trying to win a final. This is where it all starts according to my source. This is disturbing to me for obvious reasons and the biggest one is the attacker was 3 to 4 years older and bigger. I can't imagine how I would react if that was my kid.

Now, my source says the attacker was an Azteca fan and the victim boy was an albion chula vista player. I then heard that the gun faking individual was also an Azteca fan. The responsible parties all appear to be in The Azteca Club. That is where the liability falls. First to the individuals and parents and then maybe the club if they don't have rules of conduct for parents to abide by. How is this not assault though? He may be a minor, but his parents are liable for his actions. Lawyers and others with agendas will conflate whatever they can in this, but the bottom line is certain individuals acted poorly regardless what some want blame.

More rules and laws won't change much imo. It's competitive sports and fans get riled up and people should be responsible for their own actions not other people or entities unless they condone and/or allow this type of violent behavior. An Albion player was attacked right? You put two, emotional opposing fans right next to each other on a field and you think club rules are going to keep them from being human? I don't get what Albion did at all and if anything, they are victims. What am I missing? They don't need to lead the charge about sideline behavior. Fans get excited and always will

Again, the simple solution is to separate team fans with the field. One side for home and one side for away.

Please correct the record here if you were there and any of this is wrong? I'm just going by what someone told me that claimed to be there.

Maybe the powers that be would rather separate coaches from their own parents rather and force the parents to deal with each other?? I don't know, but I do know that we have laws regardless of club rules and one of them is not to assault other people. If people and/or their children can't follow laws that typically result in big fines/jail time/financial liability, you really think club/tournament rules/policies would be the answer? People should be responsible for their actions.

Back