Guidance are not for everyone

I looked at the report referenced in the story and the headline is misleading. They could have also noted that the rate of children's deaths was 0.0% in AZ while many states where > 0.0 (NYC was 0.2%). However, that would also be misleading. Ok, Dummy, do you have any thoughts on the problem of comparing states as was done in the headline? I'll give you a hint. Think about how often children are asymptomatic, and how often asymptomatic children are tested currently in states like AZ compared to how often asymptomatic children were tested when the pandemic started last spring in states like NY.

Don't be manipulated, Dummy. All "sides" will try to manipulate you. Although, I'm torn as to whether this was intentional or was a case of "never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance."

“The report also indicates that Arizona had the highest positivity rate for children, at 17.8%. That is the percent of children who tested positive for COVID out of the total number of children tested.”

If this represents testing asymptomatic of children in Arizona, I would be very concerned about the risk of community spread of the disease among children in groups. Maybe other states are being impacted by the disease even worse, but the more limited testing programs in those states make it more difficult to know. Unfortunately, every state prioritizes public health equally.

What is misleading is to suggest that there is a 0.0% death rate, when more than 400 children in Arizona have died from COVID-19. Epidemiologists would express this rate differently to more accurately represent the rate of death that actually occurred.

Good luck to everyone overcoming the challenges presented by COVID-19.

“The report also indicates that Arizona had the highest positivity rate for children, at 17.8%. That is the percent of children who tested positive for COVID out of the total number of children tested.”

If this represents testing asymptomatic of children in Arizona, I would be very concerned about the risk of community spread of the disease among children in groups. Maybe other states are being impacted by the disease even worse, but the more limited testing programs in those states make it more difficult to know. Unfortunately, every state prioritizes public health equally.

What is misleading is to suggest that there is a 0.0% death rate, when more than 400 children in Arizona have died from COVID-19. Epidemiologists would express this rate differently to more accurately represent the rate of death that actually occurred.

You posted the link without comment and the only thing that showed of interest was the following and the first line of the story states the same thing.

"A report released by the American Academy of Pediatrics shows AZ has more COVID cases per 100,000 children than any other state in the country."

It makes little sense to compare this number across states as the level of testing asymptomatic people varies considerably by state and by the time period the state was going through most of their cases. Early in the pandemic, testing was not widely available and even people with symptoms had difficulty getting tested. So, yeah, all those asymptomatic people in NY never became "cases".

Also, where do you get the "when more than 400 children in Arizona have died"? The story states that more than 400 were hospitalized, 12 died.

"The report says 410 children were hospitalized and 12 children died."

Hopefully this is a typo on your behalf because the irony of the whole statement is crazy. As is the case in today's society, retracting false statements is an afterthought. Not that it matters for a soccer forum. Just principle I guess.

Regardless, FUTBOL will be in full swing in Arizona this weekend, with Advanced League play in games and what's being called a "Scrimmage Fest". We will see how it all works out, how it's run, and if it's a good proof of concept for how the season will be managed. NJ and other states have shown they can run sizable tournaments in a safe and responsible manner. Parents will have to make a choice on whether they think the "risk" is worth it. Youngers of course will be driven, many olders will drive.

Let's hope that adults can be responsible enough to set conditions for their GOATs to get in a game or two.

Hopefully this is a typo on your behalf because the irony of the whole statement is crazy. As is the case in today's society, retracting false statements is an afterthought. Not that it matters for a soccer forum. Just principle I guess.

Regardless, FUTBOL will be in full swing in Arizona this weekend, with Advanced League play in games and what's being called a "Scrimmage Fest". We will see how it all works out, how it's run, and if it's a good proof of concept for how the season will be managed. NJ and other states have shown they can run sizable tournaments in a safe and responsible manner. Parents will have to make a choice on whether they think the "risk" is worth it. Youngers of course will be driven, many olders will drive.

Let's hope that adults can be responsible enough to set conditions for their GOATs to get in a game or two.

I looked up the New Jersey portion of your post and found an article from Soccer Today, dated July 23, that says they're playing again. So 3-4 weeks now of active contact. Have you seen anything referring to follow up since then?

Found this. New Jersey still allowing contact sports after nearly a month.

They just wrapped up a college showcase event this past weekend. It's not their first tournament of the summer - I want to say it's their 5th major tournament. I've attended in the past when I lived in NJ, big event, one of the biggest on the east coast, fields are carved out of an enormous turf farm. From what I hear, it was scaled back to comply with NJ public health guidelines, but they pulled it off. 1 Parent games, etc. I don't anticipate this to be classified as a "super spreader" event.

I can't emphasize enough how big of an event this normally is. It makes Surf look like small potatoes in terms of fields at one location.

Mine as well. Feels the need to respond to EVERY thread
I;m only clueless because my_______________________don;t agree with Mr Magoo. Espy has no kids playing in youth soccer but has a ______________ opinion and that is it. I am not clueless in socal about youth soccer and that is why I post a lot. My dd is almost done with club and this is my last season as a soccer dad. The last three years has sucked!!! I feel a calling to share my experience with all of you. I know some have told me to go pound sand and get lost. I will, sooner rather than later. I might stop by and say hi but I wont be here everyday like I have been. I'm so bored to death and have zero sports to watch. All the Off topic garbage is sh*t and Its why were in the messy mess were in today. I'm only talking soccer now and I cant wait for my dd to play again some day. That is from the bottom of my heart futbol dad. I will chill out and let others post their opinions on the socal soccer forum now. I did add a little life to this place last year so give me a little credit dude.

Well he lives up to his name...

Im very excited scrimmage tomorrow.. and while parents are not allowed to stay and watch, It will be recorded. Kids are playing games!

They just wrapped up a college showcase event this past weekend. It's not their first tournament of the summer - I want to say it's their 5th major tournament. I've attended in the past when I lived in NJ, big event, one of the biggest on the east coast, fields are carved out of an enormous turf farm. From what I hear, it was scaled back to comply with NJ public health guidelines, but they pulled it off. 1 Parent games, etc. I don't anticipate this to be classified as a "super spreader" event.

I can't emphasize enough how big of an event this normally is. It makes Surf look like small potatoes in terms of fields at one location.

Anyone report getting sick? I bet nobody did. Makes calif look like a 3rd world dictatorship..

Anyone report getting sick? I bet nobody did. Makes calif look like a 3rd world dictatorship..
None that I know of, which doesn't mean anything of course. My sense is if there had been positives, it would have been hysterically reported on their local media outlets.

Back