Good News Thread

It's not my side dumb dumb. As I said, I think he will and should lose given the evidence to date. But it's very clear there is evidence of voter fraud. To say there's none completely undermines your side's credibility.

What is "my side"?

Back to good news, any read on the following is welcome.

National daily reported cases seem to be momentarily hovering at 200k. One million per 5 days.

Some states in the middle of the country seem to be seriously slowing down, usually in the 6% to 10% confirmed cases range. (arguably depending on temperature, pop density, local rules, degree of compliance, and so on.)

I place this as meaning that overall cases should slow down as the nation nears 6%. (I took the low end on the assumption that the states with North Dakota style habits are already experiencing North Dakota style case loads.)

Anyway, if it tapers off at 6% then things start calming down around Dec 31. Or, once we add in a bump for the Christmas travel, late January.

That conclusion is not too different from the (much more sophisticated) IHME national projection.

Back to good news, any read on the following is welcome.

National daily reported cases seem to be momentarily hovering at 200k. One million per 5 days.

Some states in the middle of the country seem to be seriously slowing down, usually in the 6% to 10% confirmed cases range. (arguably depending on temperature, pop density, local rules, degree of compliance, and so on.)

I place this as meaning that overall cases should slow down as the nation nears 6%. (I took the low end on the assumption that the states with North Dakota style habits are already experiencing North Dakota style case loads.)

Anyway, if it tapers off at 6% then things start calming down around Dec 31. Or, once we add in a bump for the Christmas travel, late January.

That conclusion is not too different from the (much more sophisticated) IHME national projection.
Missed this - spending too much time in the Bad News Thread.

Hard to argue with any of it. The one thing I notice when looking at the individual state case graphs on NYTimes, states that had a very steep increase for about 3 weeks also had a very fast drop. The hope is that RI, NY, CA, DE, MA and a few other east coast states max out in less than a week and do the same. CA graph is STEEP right now.

My "Good News" is that while cases are still trending up, Rt has gone from two states in the green a few days back to 11 states. Of those states, only VT and WA don't also have a graph trend that supports further downward movement. The next 11, to UT, all show signs that they may be at or just past peak.

1607579570113.png

Santa Clara got their first batch of vaccine. Front-line workers and residents of nursing homes first. While this is a relatively small population and may not do much to slow the spread, it has the potential to have a significant effect on the death rate since these older folks are, by far, at the highest risk. I think I'll drink to this - one Margarita for Dad and a shot of Vodka for Grace.

Santa Clara got their first batch of vaccine. Front-line workers and residents of nursing homes first. While this is a relatively small population and may not do much to slow the spread, it has the potential to have a significant effect on the death rate since these older folks are, by far, at the highest risk. I think I'll drink to this - one Margarita for Dad and a shot of Vodka for Grace.

I'll drink to that. I've offered dad an armistice. We'll see if he takes it.

The distribution plans do bug me a bit.

With more than a passing knowledge of nursing homes, I understand there is a group of willing, at risk, and relatively compliant population with an ease of distribution on site (vaccine needs to be kept extremely cold and distributed quickly).

... but that population has no outside exposure at present other than the facility staff. Staff that should be one the priority list as essential workers... many of which are low income (social equity in distribution) and likely live in communities with a greater rate of spread.

Seems like you could protect two groups (workers and elderly) more efficiently with fewer doses.

The distribution plans do bug me a bit.

With more than a passing knowledge of nursing homes, I understand there is a group of willing, at risk, and relatively compliant population with an ease of distribution on site (vaccine needs to be kept extremely cold and distributed quickly).

... but that population has no outside exposure at present other than the facility staff. Staff that should be one the priority list as essential workers... many of which are low income (social equity in distribution) and likely live in communities with a greater rate of spread.

Seems like you could protect two groups (workers and elderly) more efficiently with fewer doses.

The issue is they can't keep them from visitors forever and in August-September at least our local homes had allowed visits with certain restrictions (ourdoors, temp checks, masks, no children). The other issues is they'd likely have to make it mandatory since some workers will say no, and it doesn't seem they are quite yet ready to have that fight. That said, so far in most states facility staff are in the second tier.

The thing I don't understand is why vaccinate front line health care workers first, particularly if they are under 50 or have had it already. Maybe because they think medical professionals would be more willing to take it, have access to treatment if needed, and can be experimented on for a while to build confidence?

The side effects/allergy issue has hit the WSJ. We should know in a week or two how pronounced these issues are.

Am I missing something? Pulled these numbers straight from the CDC website, but am not 100% sure this show what I think it shows:

56B9C3D1-4B29-4C19-ABEC-5F1645534614.jpeg

@dad4 hit hardest with this one.

"During a news conference last week, Gov. Cuomo put up a chart highlighting where the novel coronavirus is being spread. It turns out, a shocking 74 percent of new cases were caught at gatherings in private homes. Restaurants and bars, meanwhile, accounted for just 1.43 percent."

No delays from any states on vaccine distribution for independent review. As expected, that was simple pandering to the base.

“Frankly, I’m not going to trust the federal government’s opinion, and I wouldn’t recommend to New Yorkers, based on the federal government’s opinion,” Mr. Cuomo said at a news briefing.

@dad4 hit hardest with this one.

"During a news conference last week, Gov. Cuomo put up a chart highlighting where the novel coronavirus is being spread. It turns out, a shocking 74 percent of new cases were caught at gatherings in private homes. Restaurants and bars, meanwhile, accounted for just 1.43 percent."

provides pretty compelling reason for why masks aren’t working either. If they are gathering in the homes they probably aren’t wearing masks there either. I know the dangybros that threw the kegger next door weren’t wearing masks in between their chugs.

Back