Good News Thread

it depends if falling death rates allows us realists to get the upper hand in the discussions. Remember case numbers are all important to some experts like Fauci, the California health authorities or our genius in Los Angeles. The Biden covid panel leans this way too. The scenario that’s being set up is due to vaccine and treatments death rate falls but there are still stories of 30 somethings landing in the hospital and a 40 something dying here and there. Will we be able to climb down from the hysteria weve built up, in the background of an election controversy that’s not going away, a vaccine fight, and a red/blue federalist control controversy? I don’t know. If Trump had won I’d have said sure you are right. The problem is we don’t know how much a true believer Biden (or more appropriately Dr Jill Biden) is in all this and how much of it was just a political tool to beat Trump on the head with. The fact Biden is a pragmatist gives me optimism. His panel pick makes me skeptical.
Here's my theory. The US has little appetite for draconian methods of enforcing compliance, and Americans, in general, have little tolerance for being told what to do. I'd say much more than most countries, we feel that they can be the judge of what behavior and actions are acceptable. We are in the midst of a surge bigger than our initial surge, but we don't have nearly the restrictions in California. My daughter and I, alone on a soccer field, were being told by the police that we had to leave (March or April). Now, there are scrimmages galore on the same field - no enforcement of any type of restrictions other than the threat of pulling permits for organized soccer for getting too close to each other. The death rate is down, and people are seeing more and more the consequences on the economy and on mental health. These consequences on the economy and mental health will only grow this winter. I'd say the US and state governments have one more shot at some type of significant shut down this winter. Even that won't come close to the initial shut down. After that, people will be done. Many already are. By February, more people will be looking for any sign to move on. We have already seen this happen on this board. The pressure on politicians, elected and otherwise, will grow. They'll simply disband whatever task force they created and claim victory. Politicians have a short memory when it serves them well.

Here's my theory. The US has little appetite for draconian methods of enforcing compliance, and Americans, in general, have little tolerance for being told what to do. I'd say much more than most countries, we feel that they can be the judge of what behavior and actions are acceptable. We are in the midst of a surge bigger than our initial surge, but we don't have nearly the restrictions in California. My daughter and I, alone on a soccer field, were being told by the police that we had to leave (March or April). Now, there are scrimmages galore on the same field - no enforcement of any type of restrictions other than the threat of pulling permits for organized soccer for getting too close to each other. The death rate is down, and people are seeing more and more the consequences on the economy and on mental health. These consequences on the economy and mental health will only grow this winter. I'd say the US and state governments have one more shot at some type of significant shut down this winter. Even that won't come close to the initial shut down. After that, people will be done. Many already are. By February, more people will be looking for any sign to move on. We have already seen this happen on this board. The pressure on politicians, elected and otherwise, will grow. They'll simply disband whatever task force they created and claim victory. Politicians have a short memory when it serves them well.

thats why the fact both Biden and newsom are pragmatists are helpful. But fauci and some of the panel are true believers as are their health experts

There doesn't need to be a federal vaccine mandate. All it takes is CalSouth requiring vaccination as part of their normal process, and all of the parents on this board will be pushing granny out of the way to get their dd two shots for each arm.

All true, but lets also add more and more folks are out of work and many will lose their jobs this winter. It's really bad and I mean really bad. By Winter, more and more people will also be looking for food. Let's look to help out those in need. If you can help, then you will be rewarded. Selfishness and evil Corps will be destroyed. Cheaters will have a very hard time, mark my words :)

All true, but lets also add more and more folks are out of work and many will lose their jobs this winter. It's really bad and I mean really bad. By Winter, more and more people will also be looking for food.
Agreed. I was rolling these issues up into the "consequences on the economy"

The cdc model has the ifr now at about .26%. 28% of country infected.
Damn, 28%? Given the current surge, I’m guessing we’ll be well over 1/3 of the country before the vaccine gets out to the masses. That’s a big deal in terms of reaching herd immunity.

Also, 0.26% is good news. I’d be curious to know what ifr was for the older age groups the last few months vs. March and April.

note there’s no sports exception. Either for youth sports practices or pro sports or pt.Those would appear illegal in la county

there’s also no air con, heating, air, internet repair exception so get those service calls in ASAP:p

guess they didn’t have the guts to ban gatherings before thanksgiving but you’ll likely have to cancel any la county holiday plans:rolleyes:

note there’s no sports exception. Either for youth sports practices or pro sports or pt.Those would appear illegal in la county

Day camps are still permitted, however, which is how most LA clubs started practicing again back in June. They also allow exercise classes outdoors at 50% capacity, whatever that means. It will likely depend upon how the field operators interpret the order.

looks like the intent really is in la county to ban even pro sports. Luckily/unluckily lafc already done. Santa Clara county just followed suit and colleges up there already rescheduling games.

looks like the intent really is in la county to ban even pro sports. Luckily/unluckily lafc already done. Santa Clara county just followed suit and colleges up there already rescheduling games.
Those involve games with no distancing, so pro/college sports contests could be out while distanced youth sports practicing is ok.

Roberts dissented basically saying because the restrictions lifted the matter is moot and the Supreme Court should not act. Gorsuch tears into him for that saying to get to the Supreme Court and have the principle adjudicated, the house of worship would have to have the restriction placed on them and remain in the applicable tier until the Supreme Court heard their case, even though they were under threat of a potential future closure. Gorsuch basically alleges Roberts is a situationalist, using the technically to avoid overturning an executive action, even though in principle Roberts signals he agrees with the majority.

The thrust of the majority opinions is that the reason the restriction is not acceptable is because it isn't content neutral. Cuomo limited houses of worship to 10 people but didn't limit tattoo parlors, alcohol dealers, grocers, and law offices, deeming those essential. So the state could restrict all indoor singing or require masks in all indoor public places, but cannot single out houses of worship for special treatment. Similarly, the state can't restrict outdoor services or put restrictions on those, if it doesn't do so on things like protests or political celebrations.

The Gorsuch opinion in particularly sizzles. He's clearly fed up with the Chief's politicking around sensitive issues.
The examples you give are illogical. None of them compare to hundreds of people congregating in an indoor space and then talking and singing out loud for an hour or more. From a medical perspective, that is an extreme high risk gathering. A fairer comparison would be indoor concerts or the like, which were not permitted. Comparing chalk & cheese makes neither the other.

If someone wants to go to church or their respective place of worship and expose themselves thus, then whatever. It does not make them any more devote than the person who decides to care (more some would say) for their fellow man, and not go to their place of worship, despite it being equally important to them.

For me, its an extremely stupid, high risk and dangerous thing to do. It endangers both yourself and those that you then come in contact with.

This is moving in the right direction. It will be telling if it stays that way the next two weeks indicating that Thanksgiving didn't push us in the wrong direction. Florida is one I'll be watching closely. They have already had a lot of cases and they don't have any restrictions as far as I can tell. They also had a lot of reported tourism over Thanksgiving. As expected, OR and WA are fighting to keep their relatively low infection rate. NM appears to be improving after a big surge. HI is pretty much the only remaining state that hasn't had a big spike at some point.

1606717736385.png

Back