GDA Developmental Player

I guess I am more realistic that I thought because I would say 10 per age group 03 and 04 and 1-2 who have a shot and are CLEARLY special.
At least the DA will remove any sphere of influence that clown SH has at Cal South with his "scouts"
Sorry but I will take the bozo brigade and US SOCCER any day over that man and his merry band of idiots.
Big difference between impact player and special qualities. Parents don't want to hear that though.

There are national training pools for the those age groups, 90% of the players come from DA. 48-60 or so players get bi-monthly or quarterly invites; 36 get into a camp, 18-20 are invited back and a new group rolls in. Eventually at the end of the season the YNT teams are picked. For SC players there might be a couple that make it to the end, handful to camp. and a dozen in the quarterly pools. That's it for SC, kids come around from the other US clubs to participate but lucky for us most of that takes place @ the US training center at Stub Hub. There is a army of scouts but director's and coached have some influence so don't think connections don't play a part.

DA is going to be different for players; the level of play and the skill of the players will be likely greater consistently game in and game out, play by play than most are used to. Some will adjust quickly, others will rise or fall, takes time for some players to get in a groove, only time will team. Try not to make assumptions with your player(s), just because they where a great scorer or the faster kid around in there previous league things and positions can change. Adapting, changing, improving in the face of competition and training is what you would like to see longer term.

There are national training pools for the those age groups, 90% of the players come from DA. 48-60 or so players get bi-monthly or quarterly invites; 36 get into a camp, 18-20 are invited back and a new group rolls in. Eventually at the end of the season the YNT teams are picked. For SC players there might be a couple that make it to the end, handful to camp. and a dozen in the quarterly pools. That's it for SC, kids come around from the other US clubs to participate but lucky for us most of that takes place @ the US training center at Stub Hub. There is a army of scouts but director's and coached have some influence so don't think connections don't play a part.

DA is going to be different for players; the level of play and the skill of the players will be likely greater consistently game in and game out, play by play than most are used to. Some will adjust quickly, others will rise or fall, takes time for some players to get in a groove, only time will team. Try not to make assumptions with your player(s), just because they where a great scorer or the faster kid around in there previous league things and positions can change. Adapting, changing, improving in the face of competition and training is what you would like to see longer term.

That is perhaps the most interesting thing of all that if we are going to bash the DA no one is touching on- sub rules and play time.
People referring to their teams as "stacked". Unfortunately 14-22 are going to be watching a bunch of games. I believe in meritocracy but I am the minority! You will have talented 14-22 who are just doing nothing game in and game out. I expected this though as most people now love having their kid in a "super team" even if it's the bench. I think it works now- but it won't work in the DA. I personally can't wait for the substitution rules - let the strongest stay in.

From 02 and above ECNL viable option. If everything goes according to plan I would say it's a viable option for three years max.
I say this because your first group 04 has none of its top talent OUTSIDE of the DA. Our ECNL teams at 04 are not only B teams they are watered down B teams. With the right coaching one would say its still a great platform- problem is look at the licensing and talent of coaches at the ECNL level. Feel free to use our age group 04 as a perfect example.
03 I know maybe a handful of girls who didn't want to play for a certain coach but want to stay at a club and chose ECNL. At least the 03 coaches have more education and play a more cerebral game not boot and run.
The talent went to DA. People don't want to hear that and I don't know why. Its factual at the 03 and 04 level. At the 02 and above I think it's a mix.
DA is done. Unless they do something absolutely stupid this year - which I can always see- it stays and it's good. Please tell me what is wrong with two days of technical training, one day of film, one day of conditioning, less wasteful "premier tourneys", less worthless games.
The only people I know of at my age group who are against the DA are people whose daughters were not asked to be on one. They became ECNL warriors overnight "we are happy on our team, we just love our coach blah blah"
Sorry but no one is going to shame me for wanting the best platform for my kid which is DA at this time and place.
I think everyone should spend their time talking about team fees for ECNL and why anyone would want to spend excessive money for a weak league, crappy travel and B team? To me that's the real joke. Pick a local club and a good coach. DA is cheaper than ECNL

Yet, you just contradicted yourself by champing Girls DA II? #huh

You do understand Girls DA will be dual age banded at U15/16 and U17/18. Meaning the younger of the age band will have at least 4 maybe 5 players on the roster and the remaining U15 players will most likely be playing on the B team. example: U15/16 Girls DA team......4-5 U15 players and 15-16 U16 players rostered. Check out the Boys DA rosters.

I guess I am more realistic that I thought because I would say 10 per age group 03 and 04 and 1-2 who have a shot and are CLEARLY special.
At least the DA will remove any sphere of influence that clown SH has at Cal South with his "scouts"
Sorry but I will take the bozo brigade and US SOCCER any day over that man and his merry band of idiots.
Big difference between impact player and special qualities. Parents don't want to hear that though.

10 may be the correct number in those age groups. It's hard to tell who the best players are at 13 and 14 because growth is so uneven and girls bodies are still sprouting. By 16 it is a little more clear and some that were great in 8th grade become above average and some good and above average players become great. I agree that their is a big difference between an impact player and a special player. Depending upon the players position it can be hard to recognize.

Yet, you just contradicted yourself by champing Girls DA II? #huh

You do understand Girls DA will be dual age banded at U15/16 and U17/18. Meaning the younger of the age band will have at least 4 maybe 5 players on the roster and the remaining U15 players will most likely be playing on the B team. example: U15/16 Girls DA team......4-5 U15 players and 15-16 U16 players rostered. Check out the Boys DA rosters.

No idea what your first sentence means.
Not new to this party and didn't contradict myself at all.
I stand by the feeling that until DA2 is officially on or off no one should be running their mouths about it either way on either side because it isn't FACT.
I also stand by the notion that older parents who children are aging out have a different perception of ECNL than we do and hearing you champion ECNL when at my age group it is he worst coaches with B and C team players is laughable.

You are probably right. It seems like the handful of clubs that now have GDA/ECNL have all the power. If those clubs don't put their second best team in ECNL, that will make things very interesting in SoCal. And my guess is that is what is driving non-ECNL clubs to push for DAII league. Clubs like Arsenal and Strikers won't look as appealing if their top ECNL teams are playing against the Slammers' and Surf's C teams. The pitch instead will be to play on, for example, the Legends or LA Galaxy B teams because that will allow you to supposedly play the Blues and Surf B teams in a DAII league (or whatever you want to call it), along with all the B teams from non-ECNL/GDA clubs.

Assuming that GDA is the A team and ECNL is the B team (per US Soccer mandates):

Why would we assume that the GDA/ECNL clubs would have better B teams? There are only 4 clubs that fall into that category and 3 of them are in Orange County. They will compete for talent with Strikers ECNL only. You really think the OC talent pool is that deep?

In SoCal, the non-ECNL DA clubs will have a VAST talent pool since ECNL basically pulled out of LA County, and the Inland Empire has no GDA/ECNL team at all either. (Just Arsenal out there with ECNL only and you can go read the threads on what people think of that club). So basically, with LA County, Ventura, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties also, I would expect the non-ecnl DA "B" teams to be quite competitive... whichever league they play in.

No idea what your first sentence means.
Not new to this party and didn't contradict myself at all.
I stand by the feeling that until DA2 is officially on or off no one should be running their mouths about it either way on either side because it isn't FACT.
I also stand by the notion that older parents who children are aging out have a different perception of ECNL than we do and hearing you champion ECNL when at my age group it is he worst coaches with B and C team players is laughable.

You were selling Girls DA II yesterday and posting that B team players become A team players. Today you are posting trash on B teams which consist of B team players. #huh

I don't think you are understanding and it's irrelevant if my DD is aging out, because you are just learning about Girls DA as I am. You don't have any experience with it yet, so you don't have an advantage over me.

Here is a better example why you shouldn't be posting trash about players on B teams, because a lot of those U15 B team players will become the A team players at U16, in the dual age banded Girls DA league. This is where a club with Girls DA and ECNL have a distinct advantage.

•U15/U16 Girls DA= Will consist of (5) U15 players and (16) U16 players
•U15 ECNL= girls who didn't make the U15/16 Girls DA team, but will be the A team players next year when U16 Girls for Girls DA.
•U16 ECNL = B team players

Assuming that GDA is the A team and ECNL is the B team (per US Soccer mandates):

Why would we assume that the GDA/ECNL clubs would have better B teams? There are only 4 clubs that fall into that category and 3 of them are in Orange County. They will compete for talent with Strikers ECNL only. You really think the OC talent pool is that deep?

In SoCal, the non-ECNL DA clubs will have a VAST talent pool since ECNL basically pulled out of LA County, and the Inland Empire has no GDA/ECNL team at all either. (Just Arsenal out there with ECNL only and you can go read the threads on what people think of that club). So basically, with LA County, Ventura, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties also, I would expect the non-ecnl DA "B" teams to be quite competitive... whichever league they play in.

I am not so sure, especially when Girls DA enters the dual aged banded years at U15/16 and U17/18 years. Here is why, U15 is the #1 college recruiting year for girls. They will also be the younger age band and less of those players will be rostered on the Girls U15/16 team (more U16 players). So it would be wiser to have a girl who didn't make the Girls DA U15/16 team to play for an ECNL U15 team. This way the player starts and is seen by college coaches at the ECNL Showcases vs playing on a Girls DA U15 B team without any college showcase platform.

I am not so sure, especially when Girls DA enters the dual aged banded years at U15/16 and U17/18 years. Here is why, U15 is the #1 college recruiting year for girls. They will also be the younger age band and less of those players will be rostered on the Girls U15/16 team (more U16 players). So it would be wiser to have a girl who didn't make the Girls DA U15/16 team to play for an ECNL U15 team. This way the player starts and is seen by college coaches at the ECNL Showcases vs playing on a Girls DA U15 B team without any college showcase platform.
There is no Dual banding at U15 (2003's)!
Enjoy the fact your DD is aging out.

Next sesaon girls DA = U14 (04), U15 (03)
U16/17 (2002/2001)
U18/19 (2000/1999)

Yes on ECNL for good ops for college recruiting but U16/17 will be HS sophomores or junior's so not really much of difference. Both should give enough exposure if you start

Next sesaon girls DA = U14 (04), U15 (03)
U16/17 (2002/2001)
U18/19 (2000/1999)

Yes on ECNL for good ops for college recruiting but U16/17 will be HS sophomores or junior's so not really much of difference. Both should give enough exposure if you start

Thanks, I got the years mixed up...but none the less the same principle.

This is where it gets dicey, at U15 and we will use (03) players as an example. The 03 girls have been tracked by college coaches on a U15 Girls DA team....they now enter the u16/17 dual age band year. They don't make the Girls DA U16/17 team, because they are on the younger side. IMO, the girls who don't make the U16/17 Girls DA team are better off playing for a ECNL U16 team, so the college coaches can continue tracking them, thus extending an offer since, the majority of girls verbally commit at U16.

This is where it gets dicey, at U15 and we will use (03) players as an example. The 03 girls have been tracked by college coaches on a U15 Girls DA team....they now enter the u16/17 dual age band year. They don't make the Girls DA U16/17 team, because they are on the younger side. IMO, the girls who don't make the U16/17 Girls DA team are better off playing for a ECNL U16 team, so the college coaches can continue tracking them, thus extending an offer since, the majority of girls verbally commit at U16.
This is also why they are looking at/considering eliminating the Dual Age band in the future as the program moves forward. This is not set in stone but is part of the forward looking vision of the program.

Yeah I get what your saying. The dual age band has a way of filtering, if you get enough time as a younger you have good upside potential.

The dual age groups are being phased out..might not happen with the girls right away after 1st season but I won't be surprised if 18-19' has single age groups for all... to be U17 (02) & U18 (01). U18 being the last years as before and to be U16(03's) are already single age group from the first season.

Yeah I get what your saying. The dual age band has a way of filtering, if you get enough time as a younger you have good upside potential.

The dual age groups are being phased out..might not happen with the girls right away after 1st season but I won't be surprised if 18-19' has single age groups for all... to be U17 (02) & U18 (01). U18 being the last years as before and to be U16(03's) are already single age group from the first season.
I agree, if and when US soccer eliminates the dual-age band is when they will officially make ECNL a B team league in SoCal.

The filtering works for the boys side with less college teams and boys maturing later. Where as on the girls side has more college teams and girls maturing earlier.

My understanding is that there are more substitutions allowed at the DA showcases, which the college coaches attend. Can someone confirm that? I've never seen any written rules about it, but saw some showcase announcements that allow 7 subs per game.

My understanding is that there are more substitutions allowed at the DA showcases, which the college coaches attend. Can someone confirm that? I've never seen any written rules about it, but saw some showcase announcements that allow 7 subs per game.

No same, 7 subs across 3 opportunities for u14, u15 and 5 across 3 for the dual age bands.

Some coaches play to win more at showcase and use subs differently vs regular season while other use max numbers with multiples at a time like a line shift at half or whatever.

There are +- for each league compared to ECNL for example playing time and the FIFA sub rules, no re-entry, etc are more restrictive in DA. Getting used to that might be a bit different for those players considering switching.

I don't get why it even matters whether US Soccer sanctions the league. Can someone explain that? I would assume that clubs would be free to set up their own feeder teams for their DA programs. If those clubs want to play their feeder teams in a league with a bunch of other GDA feeder teams and call it a DAII league, why can't they do that? I understand it would lack the blessing and not fall under the auspice of US Soccer, but why does that matter? The GDA clubs are going to have B teams. Those B teams are going to have to play in a league. Who cares what you call the league? Whether US soccer sanctions it or not, it will clearly be the B (or maybe C) team league for girls GDA.
Why not have a B team...call it DA2 or whatever? If the players are good and play the other 9 teams in the SW, they are probably getting good experience. Some may actually move up to the DA.

Being in AZ we have exactly 1 DA and 1 ECNL team. If going to del Sol and being on their DA2 (call it B squad...whatever) and getting to play So Cal teams...I am in. That quality of play is better on average vs just being in an AZ league. I hope one day Sereno (ECNL) gets their act together and produces better ECNL teams.

Yeah..I know I come from a different point of view...ie what is available to us in AZ. Clearly there are more options, etc available in So Cal.

I agree, if and when US soccer eliminates the dual-age band is when they will officially make ECNL a B team league in SoCal.

It seems a lot of the country is going in the opposite direction of SoCal. Reading the the NorCal forums they seem to be opposed to GDA. I think once parents realize Little Mia, or did we change her name;), isn't getting playing time GDA will be come the red headed step child. I like results. The boy's side has produced very little. At this point that's what you have to go by.

It seems a lot of the country is going in the opposite direction of SoCal. Reading the the NorCal forums they seem to be opposed to GDA. I think once parents realize Little Mia, or did we change her name;), isn't getting playing time GDA will be come the red headed step child. I like results. The boy's side has produced very little. At this point that's what you have to go by.
I agree, but I would then be labeled anti Girls DA. I'm glad I get to see it all unfold. I don't envy the parents with U14 and younger DDs.

Back