ECNL vs. DA turf war has created a 'toxic environment'

Making sure she is with the right group of Coaches (on and off the field).
Good point. But, how does one know what’s right? Is what’s right for your kid right for mine? What was right for your kid last year, is it still right now?

There’s an old African Proverb that states “it takes a village to raise a child” and I grew up in a era where coaches volunteered. Some were preachers, PAL, former athletes, alcoholics, an ex-cons but the one thing they had in common was their love of kids and ties to the community. So for me the right coach is one that has love for my kid and a vested interest in their future because they see my kid as a future leaders of the community.

How can it be right if your kid is just a meal ticket to a coach?

Not the one I was thinking off but also a thug. It's unfortunate he was murdered but he wasn't a good human, either. Talks about girls like whores... which, as a father, I refuse to endorse. I don't care if it's cultural or "just music". I'm a rock fan and they aren't much better... but rockers aren't waving guns and drugs around in videos. Promoting gang life and violent culture.
And you are a good human? No one is good, so please, stop the nonsense. Were all broken pieces from the pain caused by others. Once we receive the pain, we give the pain back like you're doing. Fresno bro? Stockton? I know a few plumber dudes from Stockton and those are tough dudes when their all together as a group. When their all alone, their little boys like snoopy the Snoopdog. Rockers, they just had sex with 1000s of girls and can;t remember anything today and with whom. Great roll models the rockers are for my dd.

And you are a good human? No one is good, so please, stop the nonsense. Were all broken pieces from the pain caused by others. Once we receive the pain, we give the pain back like you're doing. Fresno bro? Stockton? I know a few plumber dudes from Stockton and those are tough dudes when their all together as a group. When their all alone, their little boys like snoopy the Snoopdog. Rockers, they just had sex with 1000s of girls and can;t remember anything today and with whom. Great roll models the rockers are for my dd.

Yes, I am a good human. What pain am I giving back? Calling out the truth when I see it? That's not pain... that's not running from the truth and perpetuating the problem. I just distinguished the difference between rockers and rappers and you ignored it. Having consensual sex with a 20-year old groupie is different than prostituting a 16-year old because they have no support system and live in fear. Yeah... I get the whole pack mentality and how it works. How is that relevant to anything? It only takes 1 finger to pull a trigger.

Good point. But, how does one know what’s right? Is what’s right for your kid right for mine? What was right for your kid last year, is it still right now?

There’s an old African Proverb that states “it takes a village to raise a child” and I grew up in a era where coaches volunteered. Some were preachers, PAL, former athletes, alcoholics, an ex-cons but the one thing they had in common was their love of kids and ties to the community. So for me the right coach is one that has love for my kid and a vested interest in their future because they see my kid as a future leaders of the community.

How can it be right if your kid is just a meal ticket to a coach?

What you describe is a time when we all paid $20-$50 a season to play. When I was a kid, adults didn't know anything about soccer... with very few exceptions. Soccer was some ridiculously looking sport that got your kid good exercise and held you over until baseball season. Now that soccer has become an enterprise with DOC's making 6-figures, the highest level of comp will never go back to good will. We have some fantastic coaches that do it for the good will, because they damned sure aren't getting rich doing it, but parents have influence and those are all life lessons for our daughters to navigate. Shitty coaches... shitty parents... shitty teammates... shitty referees... pretty much models much of life as an adult, doesn't it?

My dd wrote this for her English class this year.
Acacia Edwards
Mr Hendricks
English (10)

It was a day like any other, not too warm, not too cold. That's what I loved about May; the weather was always so uplifting. The blazing sun warmed my skin like a cozy blanket, then the Spring breeze would flow in, cooling me down to create the perfect temperature. But today was not like any other day. Today would be a day I would try to forget and try to push out of my head. I was 12 years old, so young, so fresh, so very impressionable. I went to school like any other day, went to class and sat down in my seat. I looked around all over my math class for my best friend, xxxxxx. She wasn't in her usual seat. Naturally, I figured her seat had been changed. I scanned the classroom...not by the white board, not in the front, not in the back, not in the middle. Where was she? I hadn't spoken to her since last night. I just knew something was off by her voice but she told me everything was fine. She told me, she really told me she was fine and I believed her. I felt an instant feeling of fear in my stomach, the kind of feeling you feel when your parents say, "Anything you need to tell me?" the sudden feeling of being sick to your stomach even if you did nothing wrong. I knew something was wrong, I just knew it. But I decided I was just being paranoid, shook the feeling off and continued on through the rest of the school day.
When I arrived at home, my parents were waiting for me in the living room with a disturbed look on their faces as if they had just seen a ghost. The feeling came back. I scanned their faces for any clues of what was about to be said, but nothing could prepare me for what was coming next. It was as if their mouths were moving but I couldn't hear a word, an unintentional mute you could say. Either that or my mind was blocking it out and all that came out of my mouth was, “What?” As my dad put his arm on my shoulder, an instant shock of chills ran through my body and he said with a shaky voice, “They found her hanging in the backyard.'' At this moment, I did not know what was what. I was in a state of shock. I could not breathe. I sat down. Something broke inside of me and a dam was let loose, flowing down my face. Xxxxx older sister, xxxx had committed suicide and xxxxx found her dangling from our favorite climbing tree when we were younger. Her sister was like my sister. I loved and looked up to her more than anyone else. I decided I needed to call Xxxxx right away. On the way to my room, everything felt so different - the world felt bleek and helpless. I looked in the mirror and I spoke out, not to anyone specific, maybe I was speaking to God, if He is real. I just needed to speak out loud even if no one heard me. I still remember to this day looking into my swollen eyes and puffy cheeks in the mirror, “Why Xxxx, why?” I then just sat there as the hours slowly crept by, crying as if I would never stop. My mind was spinning as if my brain was on a roller coaster that was out of control. My adolescent brain could not comprehend why anyone that was so happy and so bubbly could take their own life and honestly I still don’t understand it. The next couple of weeks were hard. Her death really impacted my life, from eating to my soccer games. I would attend practice but I should have just stayed home. I was just constantly going through the motions, never fully mentally there. I was always sad and the whole world just seemed different, like it was a fragile thing that could easily get broken.
Xxxx was a popular girl at school with the students and the teachers. Her death had a huge impact on each and every individual who attended the school. They had grief counselors come to the school for weeks to help students talk about it, as if that could help during the melancholy time. To this day, it is still a mystery as to why this beautiful, seemingly happy girl chose to take her own life. She did not leave a note. There were no clues, except for a cryptic heading on an Instagram post about not being a “good enough” artist to be alive, but there was not one person who did not admire her work. It took me a long time to get over it and it took an even longer time for me to stop hating her for leaving me and her family broken. Xxxxx and her family ended up moving. We stayed in touch for a while but to be honest, it’s been a long time since either of us have reached out. Maybe, it just hurts too much. I still like May but nowadays, when May comes around, it's not as happy or as carefree but then again, neither am I. May isn’t that perfect temperature I used to love so much with the promise of summer just a few months away. Now, it's a time when I am always reminded of Xxxx death. I now make it a priority to make sure if any of my friends or anyone I know for that matter is okay. I feel sad when someone dies but my eyes do not produce tears. It’s almost as if my tears are in hibernation or have simply run dry.
Xxxx death taught me how precious life is and that anyone can die at any moment. It affected me in good and bad ways. It was bad because I had to grow up fast. Death is too serious for a twelve year old. It is an adult topic. It was good because it taught me that life is precious and to check on your friends. Smiles don’t mean anything. What’s really going on behind it? It takes one second to ask someone if they are ok, to let them know they are not alone, and that you are there for them and will listen.

Not the one I was thinking off but also a thug. It's unfortunate he was murdered but he wasn't a good human, either. Talks about girls like whores... which, as a father, I refuse to endorse. I don't care if it's cultural or "just music". I'm a rock fan and they aren't much better... but rockers aren't waving guns and drugs around in videos. Promoting gang life and violent culture.
They are not promoting gang life, they are expressing their reality as descendants of former slaves. Gangs were around prior to Rap. Regan and Hoover put the drugs in the community-COINTELPRO
I think sometimes white folks don’t realize how recent slavery was. So let me give you some perspective...My daughter born in 2007 is the first person in my family that hasn’t been born into servitude and having to work in the fields or clean people’s houses. To take it a step further, I looked at the slave roles for my grandparents when slavery was abolished and 85% of the slaves were 12-14 years old. Sick shit. And relatively recent.
It must be nice to have to have so much privilege that you only have to concern yourself with what’s going on in your bubble. It must be nice to tell your kid to do their best instead of having to tell them that their best isn’t good enough because they have to be better.

I envy your privilege.

What you describe is a time when we all paid $20-$50 a season to play. When I was a kid, adults didn't know anything about soccer... with very few exceptions. Soccer was some ridiculously looking sport that got your kid good exercise and held you over until baseball season. Now that soccer has become an enterprise with DOC's making 6-figures, the highest level of comp will never go back to good will. We have some fantastic coaches that do it for the good will, because they damned sure aren't getting rich doing it, but parents have influence and those are all life lessons for our daughters to navigate. Shitty coaches... shitty parents... shitty teammates... shitty referees... pretty much models much of life as an adult, doesn't it?
How many black kids did you run with bro in the soccer games when you were 16? My dd coach in HS shared his American soccer stories with me and let's just say the white boys weren;t so nice and actually some called him "sand N" all the time. That was back in the day so things might be a little better in todays game.

How many black kids did you run with bro in the soccer games when you were 16? My dd coach in HS shared his American soccer stories with me and let's just say the white boys weren;t so nice and actually some called him "sand N" all the time. That was back in the day so things might be a little better in todays game.

Truthfully, I had 4 black kids in my school. A brother/sister combo. Brother was a very good athlete and I'm not aware of anybody treating him badly. Sister was pretty and likable. Same there. The other two guys were also very likable but, as I look back on it now, I wonder if they were bojangles'ing it to be accepted or if they were really just that funny and cheerful all the time. I hope it was the latter, but I never saw any of them treated poorly... knowing that means very little. Actually, at 16, most of the guys I played with were Mexican and they fucked with this white boy more than anything. It was always in good fun, though.

They are not promoting gang life, they are expressing their reality as descendants of former slaves. Gangs were around prior to Rap. Regan and Hoover put the drugs in the community-COINTELPRO
I think sometimes white folks don’t realize how recent slavery was. So let me give you some perspective...My daughter born in 2007 is the first person in my family that hasn’t been born into servitude and having to work in the fields or clean people’s houses. To take it a step further, I looked at the slave roles for my grandparents when slavery was abolished and 85% of the slaves were 12-14 years old. Sick shit. And relatively recent.
It must be nice to have to have so much privilege that you only have to concern yourself with what’s going on in your bubble. It must be nice to tell your kid to do their best instead of having to tell them that their best isn’t good enough because they have to be better.

I envy your privilege.

Sorry... that's bullshit. They know nothing about slavery because they weren't slaves, their parents weren't slaves and their grandparents weren't slaves. That's an excuse. A black man and woman can be as successful as anyone today if they value education and hard work. Not in every environment, but nobody has that. Stop with the "Hoover put the drugs in" bullshit, too. At some point you have to look in the mirror and accept responsibility for your actions. You don't get to blame Hoover for rap music glorifying violence, guns, drugs, etc. All that does is perpetuate the stereotype that you can't get out of the hood any other way and THIS is how you make it. Fucking Nipsey Hussle calling himself a Messiah was a complete joke. "He gave back to the community by being a role model." Really? Rolling into the hood wearing 5 gold chains and a Mercedes, saying "don't do what I did" is supposed to be a good thing? LMAO! Who is stupid enough to buy that? You don't get to promote violence and the thug life and then cry that you're profiled. Two black on black shootings at that fucking guy's funeral. Seriously?

What's wrong with cleaning people's houses? I'm white and got a part time job when I was 15. That's not servitude. That's called "if you want a car and spending money, you help pay for it." What the fuck? I'm not condoning slavery... but that "I'm a descendant" has run its course.

So for me the right coach is one that has love for my kid and a vested interest in their future because they see my kid as a future leaders of the community.
That is it in a nutshell.

I believe action speaks louder than words. I avoided those that had sales pitch and made promises I knew they could t keep. I guess. growing up in the game gave me some insight and perspective in figuring out what I felt was right or wrong. Unfortunately some times you don’t discover the dirty underbelly until it’s too late so it becomes a lesson learned.

Truthfully, I had 4 black kids in my school. A brother/sister combo. Brother was a very good athlete and I'm not aware of anybody treating him badly. Sister was pretty and likable. Same there. The other two guys were also very likable but, as I look back on it now, I wonder if they were bojangles'ing it to be accepted or if they were really just that funny and cheerful all the time. I hope it was the latter, but I never saw any of them treated poorly... knowing that means very little. Actually, at 16, most of the guys I played with were Mexican and they fucked with this white boy more than anything. It was always in good fun, though.
I heard Landon got it real good too by the Mexican players. I wonder why they were tough on him? Anyway, you seem like one who has a lot of pain too. My mom had a lot of pain as did my dad. My dad was married and lost his first wife and baby at birth because the Doc was drunk and did a big mistake that killed his wife and baby. Mistakes happen but that experienced kept my father from wanting kids. He met my mom after her husband died at 36 of a heart attacked. They got married and adopted and fostered 8 kids. Cool story. However, my dad got that dreaded Parkinson's disease when I was 7 and I watched die at the VA hospital in Long Beach when I was 19. Talk about treating our Vets like crap, don't get me started. Life is full of pain and pain has all colors to it.

I envy your privilege.
Please don't engage with this guy over this. He's not arguing in good faith.

That is it in a nutshell.

I believe action speaks louder than words. I avoided those that had sales pitch and made promises I knew they could t keep. I guess. growing up in the game gave me some insight and perspective in figuring out what I felt was right or wrong. Unfortunately some times you don’t discover the dirty underbelly until it’s too late so it becomes a lesson learned.
Finally we get to the truth from Kicker. Where did you grow up "in the game" Kicker? One of the Presidents of a big club grew up in the NBA game. That will help me understand where you coming from. You obviously had way more insight then I did. Man, me going for all those sales pitches. I see you laughing at me Kicker. Just wait bud....lol!!

Sorry... that's bullshit. They know nothing about slavery because they weren't slaves, their parents weren't slaves and their grandparents weren't slaves. That's an excuse. A black man and woman can be as successful as anyone today if they value education and hard work. Not in every environment, but nobody has that. Stop with the "Hoover put the drugs in" bullshit, too. At some point you have to look in the mirror and accept responsibility for your actions. You don't get to blame Hoover for rap music glorifying violence, guns, drugs, etc. All that does is perpetuate the stereotype that you can't get out of the hood any other way and THIS is how you make it. Fucking Nipsey Hussle calling himself a Messiah was a complete joke. "He gave back to the community by being a role model." Really? Rolling into the hood wearing 5 gold chains and a Mercedes, saying "don't do what I did" is supposed to be a good thing? LMAO! Who is stupid enough to buy that? You don't get to promote violence and the thug life and then cry that you're profiled. Two black on black shootings at that fucking guy's funeral. Seriously?

What's wrong with cleaning people's houses? I'm white and got a part time job when I was 15. That's not servitude. That's called "if you want a car and spending money, you help pay for it." What the fuck? I'm not condoning slavery... but that "I'm a descendant" has run its course.
Your funny...cleaning a house for a car or spending money when you were 15. My family cleaned houses to put food on the tables as grown ass people and usually walked or rode the bus to work. I usually missed school in the fall because I had to pull tobacco so my family could eat. In the spring, I had to cut trees and stack wood so the wood could dry by winter and we wouldn’t freeze.
Now the tobacco industry is gone and all the textile mills are overseas. Public schools are underfunded. So the youth sell drugs. Sad.

No one wants to sell drugs. People are trying to feed their kids. There are only so many jobs at Walmart.

I heard Landon got it real good too by the Mexican players. I wonder why they were tough on him? Anyway, you seem like one who has a lot of pain too. My mom had a lot of pain as did my dad. My dad was married and lost his first wife and baby at birth because the Doc was drunk and did a big mistake that killed his wife and baby. Mistakes happen but that experienced kept my father from wanting kids. He met my mom after her husband died at 36 of a heart attacked. They got married and adopted and fostered 8 kids. Cool story. However, my dad got that dreaded Parkinson's disease when I was 7 and I watched die at the VA hospital in Long Beach when I was 19. Talk about treating our Vets like crap, don't get me started. Life is full of pain and pain has all colors to it.

No, I don't have a lot of pain. I'm not sure where you get that idea. I've worked hard and be relatively fortunate. Sorry that's not the case for you.

No, I don't have a lot of pain. I'm not sure where you get that idea. I've worked hard and be relatively fortunate. Sorry that's not the case for you.
Your a liar Outlaw. No one on this planet escapes pain or death. Nice try. Life is full of pain. Kicker's life is better than my life because Kicker say's it is. No pain, no gain bro.

Your funny...cleaning a house for a car or spending money when you were 15. My family cleaned houses to put food on the tables as grown ass people and usually walked or rode the bus to work. I usually missed school in the fall because I had to pull tobacco so my family could eat. In the spring, I had to cut trees and stack wood so the wood could dry by winter and we wouldn’t freeze.
Now the tobacco industry is gone and all the textile mills are overseas. Public schools are underfunded. So the youth sell drugs. Sad.

No one wants to sell drugs. People are trying to feed their kids. There are only so many jobs at Walmart.

No, I didn't say I cleaned houses. I said there's nothing wrong with cleaning houses. I rode my bike 5 miles each way to flip hamburger patties for minimum wage like many other kids my age. I worked all through high school and paid for most of my college... by working after school and on weekends when many other kids were partying. My parents did the same thing. I get it... everyone has it differently. I grew up with kids that never worked until after college. Life isn't fair. What you're telling me is that none of the drug dealers want to do it. So are you saying many aren't doing it because they can make absurd money for half a day's work and not pay taxes on the income? Public schools ARE underfunded... and I'd rather see our tax dollars go to schools rather than making sure jail and prison inmates get a free ride for things like food, medical, education and "rent" per say. But then people would whine that it's inhumane to make murderers, rapists and thieves have to earn a living like the rest of us.

Your a liar Outlaw. No one on this planet escapes pain or death. Nice try. Life is full of pain. Kicker's life is better than my life because Kicker say's it is. No pain, no gain bro.

It's actually "you're" and not "your" a liar... and no, I'm not a liar. I told you I don't have a lot of pain. I never said I escaped pain or death.

I dont go to class like you saint Outlaw or go work after school like a good boy should. No sir, I was out running the streets (beaches) and smoking hippie lettuce among many other things. It was the 70s. One of my rich white friends dad made millions. I'll share how later. Anyway, he brings out this white rock and I was hooked for 6 months. The first time I took a line, I played hoops and I was by far the best that night. It was fun until he ask me for money. The dad ended up going to jail for along time because of some "white" color crime. I think we all made some mistakes and in once since or sense, were all guilty of crimes against ourselves, others and humanity. Outlaw has very little pain in life and did everything write as a white boy. Black people just need to do the same and all will be ok for them. Your so lost dude your full of hate!!!!

Back