ECNL vs. DA turf war has created a 'toxic environment'

These critical comments on women's college soccer are fascinating. My experience, and most of those who have daughters who have participated in and/or finished this process, are that the best girls/womens coaches I have encountered are in college soccer. Many are able to teach multiple styles of play, and are adept at implementing them as the game situation warrants.

So the criticism is often a product of the mismatches that often occur in the NCAA, and the style of play coaches employ to try to improve their chance of winning against a team with, frankly, more talent. News alert -- those mismatches and resulting less "beautifiul" play occur at the national level just as much. These include a disruptive, physical style of play with a high press (i.e. Spain against the WNT in the 2019 World Cup, committing 18 fouls to our 4), or the physical bunker mentality with direct counterattacking (i.e Sweden in the 2016 Olympics, also committing 15 fouls to our 4).

I watched the NWSL last year, more than I would care to admit, and enjoyed it. I saw a lot of direct play, a bunch of mismatches, some very physical soccer. It reminded me a lot of the over 100 NCAA women's games I have watched. Actually, most Stanford and UCLA games exhibit more skill in passing and possession than NWSL games.

Crap all you want to on the college game, but spare me any claim that there is some mythical land of soccer where women are paid well, they play only possession, coaches don't favor speed and athleticism, don't encourage their superstars to be selfish, but instead all the coaches prioritize teamwork and soccer IQ when building their rosters.

These critical comments on women's college soccer are fascinating. My experience, and most of those who have daughters who have participated in and/or finished this process, are that the best girls/womens coaches I have encountered are in college soccer. Many are able to teach multiple styles of play, and are adept at implementing them as the game situation warrants.

So the criticism is often a product of the mismatches that often occur in the NCAA, and the style of play coaches employ to try to improve their chance of winning against a team with, frankly, more talent. News alert -- those mismatches and resulting less "beautifiul" play occur at the national level just as much. These include a disruptive, physical style of play with a high press (i.e. Spain against the WNT in the 2019 World Cup, committing 18 fouls to our 4), or the physical bunker mentality with direct counterattacking (i.e Sweden in the 2016 Olympics, also committing 15 fouls to our 4).

I watched the NWSL last year, more than I would care to admit, and enjoyed it. I saw a lot of direct play, a bunch of mismatches, some very physical soccer. It reminded me a lot of the over 100 NCAA women's games I have watched. Actually, most Stanford and UCLA games exhibit more skill in passing and possession than NWSL games.

Crap all you want to on the college game, but spare me any claim that there is some mythical land of soccer where women are paid well, they play only possession, coaches don't favor speed and athleticism, don't encourage their superstars to be selfish, but instead all the coaches prioritize teamwork and soccer IQ when building their rosters.
Dude, you’re getting caught up in the weeds. I’m simply saying that our girls are suffering from low expectations at all levels. I also understand athleticism is important. But, I don’t understand why most of our athletes suck at soccer.

I wont be selfish and take up any of the 5 questions but maybe someone else will be interested in formulating a question after I share my personal experience.

On one hand I think maybe we should have more than 1 National team because there are too many people in the USA. But then on the other hand, I think we’re good the way we are because of low soccer participation rates in the USA. My kid qualifies for the following National teams:

USA (pop. 368 million);
UK-has 4 teams (pop. 68 million)
Bahamas (pop. 350 thousand)
Mexico (pop. 129 million)

As you can see we have we have a lot more people than other countries.
In Europe, many countries are smaller than our largest states. So, do y’all think a state like California (pop. 40 million) should have their own WNT similar to England (pop. 56 million) or Scotland (pop. 5.5 million)?

@MacDre very slow learners here bro. There here for college connection and promises of play time only I guess. Socal college only forum and if you think you have a fat chance at da pros, your stupid and one damm fool. I just want a league (plus HS in between for those who have social issues and have leadership skills like being ASB HS Sports Commissioner. Good luck running for that position not playing for the school in sports.......lol, what a joke this is :) Anyway, we need a pro youth travel league, like now, like 2020-2021 season. My dd makes the teams in Socal. I showed her this picture last week and she hasn;t stopped asking me to take her to the hs school for PE and some shooting and running. No one within 100 ft of us either so were being super careful.

1585608845122.png

1585615536189.png

I've lost track of the point of this thread. Too frenetic, knee-jerk, poorly thought out and irrational statements of position, backtracking, shorthand writing, wishful dreaming about cultural overhaul of the soccer landscape, running down every rabbit hole with no clear direction.

I swear I’m doing my best to keep up...I’m just a simpleton with an athletic, skilled player on the upswing, no offers of free rides, no broken promises of YNT greatness at 12 years old, no certainty of goat-ness. Just working out hard at home, growing, doing what her coaches ask...

These are definitely challenging times and my heart goes out to girls that were gearing for their last showcase tournaments...

Bottom line, I guess as someone said earlier, hope you and yours get a shot at your dreams.

I've lost track of the point of this thread. Too frenetic, knee-jerk, poorly thought out and irrational statements of position, backtracking, shorthand writing, wishful dreaming about cultural overhaul of the soccer landscape, running down every rabbit hole with no clear direction.

I swear I’m doing my best to keep up...I’m just a simpleton with an athletic, skilled player on the upswing, no offers of free rides, no broken promises of YNT greatness at 12 years old, no certainty of goat-ness. Just working out hard at home, growing, doing what her coaches ask...

These are definitely challenging times and my heart goes out to girls that were gearing for their last showcase tournaments...

Bottom line, I guess as someone said earlier, hope you and yours get a shot at your dreams.
Totally agree. And I hit the ignore button.

@everyone juggling is fundamental if you cant do it your not a GOAT, because goats are good at everything including many different things that is what makes them great.
I agree. But, it should also be made clear that just because you can juggle doesn’t mean you’re a GOAT.

I agree. But, it should also be made clear that just because you can juggle doesn’t mean you’re a GOAT.
So my dd played with and scrimmaged the great pro OM for three years. She is Socal's GOAT for our age and younger imho. A roll model on how to go pro in today's youth soccer for girls. All I have to compare my dd to a pro is OM and my eyes watched for three years. @Hodari @MacDre and @Kicker4Life. I would love to hear what makes a true GOAT in girls soccer? How many Goats for 04 in socal Kicker?

Thinking about why ECNL / DA has become a toxic competition. Was it toxic from the day DA came on the scene?

Did USSF approach Mr. Lavers about integrating With his league but he shunned them?

Did the “toxicity” start after some of his clubs left to join DA?

Easy to understand that Mr. Lavers wouldn’t have been thrilled to have a formidable new competitor move in on his turf, but would he have been afraid of that new challenger? Doubt that...

Were there agreements made and then broken (that could certainly cause a rivalry to become toxic).

Or, did it only become “toxic” after teams, parents and players started moves back and forth between the two leagues, and discovered that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Then I can see someone starting to feel like they’d been played or sold a bill of goods. That leads to bitterness and jealousy...and toxicity.

Curious if leadership at both organizations can’t stand each other or if the whole toxic relationship thing flows from parents somehow done wrong??

So my dd played with and scrimmaged the great pro OM for three years. She is Socal's GOAT for our age and younger imho. A roll model on how to go pro in today's youth soccer for girls. All I have to compare my dd to a pro is OM and my eyes watched for three years. @Hodari @MacDre and @Kicker4Life. I would love to hear what makes a true GOAT in girls soccer? How many Goats for 04 in socal Kicker?
I honestly don’t know. I’m confused. If you were to see my introverted kid with her coke bottle glasses you would think NERD and not athlete. But, coaches seem to like her.
I honestly think being a NERD may have something to do with it. I think Mewis and Saurbrunn are NERD’s too.
Hey my patna 40 water want to opine on the GOAT issue:

Thinking about why ECNL / DA has become a toxic competition. Was it toxic from the day DA came on the scene?

Did USSF approach Mr. Lavers about integrating With his league but he shunned them?

Easy to understand that Mr. Lavers wouldn’t have been thrilled to have a formidable new competitor move in on his turf, but would he have been afraid of that new challenger? Doubt that...

Were there agreements made and then broken (that could certainly cause a rivalry to become toxic).

Or, did it only become “toxic” after teams, parents and players started moves back and forth between the two leagues, and discovered that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Then I can see someone starting to feel like they’d been played or sold a bill of goods. That leads to bitterness and jealousy...and toxicity.

Curious if leadership at both organizations can’t stand each other or if the whole toxic relationship thing flows from parents somehow done wrong??
Better question is how does all of the conflict benefit your kids development? What are you doing to ensure your kid continues to progress in her development while in the midst of the toxic youth soccer environment?

Time to separate the sheep parents from the goat parents and the sheep parents don;t like that at all. Who do you want to be in life in this new America? Look at all the sheep in the video......

"We know you're ECNL... you're the best... elite players on the elite clubs... worked for years to get there... but we'll be better. Think National Team."

What could go wrong?

I honestly don’t know. I’m confused. If you were to see my introverted kid with her coke bottle glasses you would think NERD and not athlete. But, coaches seem to like her.
I honestly think being a NERD may have something to do with it. I think Mewis and Saurbrunn are NERD’s too.
Hey my patna 40 water want to opine on the GOAT issue:

Happy for your kid... but please don't post anymore RAP videos. Toilet paper is at a premium these days.

Time to separate the sheep parents from the goat parents and the sheep parents don;t like that at all. Who do you want to be in life in this new America? Look at all the sheep in the video......

Maybe someone can covince Dominic to add a “Sheepeople” emoji.

Back