ECNL Policies

Hard to say what “counts” but if they sit down, pull out their pen, notepad, iPad, etc and are visibly paying attention, I would classify that as watching.
Sure there are some people (TM’s or parents) that are a bit over zealous, but that isn’t the norm or the majority.

Most of the time, Coaches are stopping by a game tin watch a player that has reached out and caught their eye. You can try the, make the coach find your DD approach. Nothing wrong with doing things your way.
I'm doing my things my way because that GDA league was joke and I had no choice but to get the hell out. it's called "padding your numbers" so you look good too :) Nothing like driving out to CO and having one coach stay and watch. Get the email and they say 25 came to watch. ((This was from a friend who shared with me the truth))

or we could do that too. I watched this past world cup and I saw some holes in our game of possession. We almost lost too. PK saved us. We still are more physical and that alone might allow us to win, However, it's not possession like little Spain and other teams. I want us to be fastest, most physical and play great possession ball.

Spain, like most countries, has implemented a system that is best for it in the short term to be competitive in light of the overwhelming limitations it faces with youth soccer on the girls side. But that system also perpetuates its continued failure and inability to ever become a soccer power.

In Spain, very few little girls play soccer, and almost all of them give it by HS age because what is the point? There’s really no HS where you can be a “big deal” at school. It’s not a pathway to get into a better college or a scholarship. It isn’t a pathway to a career. There’s virtually no reason to play the sport into teen years, and certainly none worth playing it to the extent necessary to become a world class player. To overcome this massive disadvantage, Spain finds 20 or 30 kids in each age group while most kids who play soccer are still playing it and tried to turn them into the best soccer players they can be, and apparently makes it free as an inducement. But those 20 or 30 are never the athletes that come out of the 50,000 or more in the US who keep playing in each age group, nor are they players you can rely on to not choke. When you have 20 to choose from, you are forced to deal with kids with limitations that cannot be fully overcome even with the best technical training and skill that you can get out of them. You get a bunch of players whom you can turn into 10s in technical ability, but grow up to be 6s in athletic ability and 4s in intestinal fortitude. They’ll never compete with the likes of Lloyd or Ertz, rise from the US’s deep pool and might be 7s in technical ability, but are 10s as athletes and cold blooded killers.

There’s just no way that Spain will ever be able to be great for long, or probably ever. Maybe you get a Marta who carries a team but still can’t win a WC, or the Iceland men’s team which manages to make a WC before fading back into obscurity. But that’s not why Spain’s way of doing things is doomed.

Rather, their system perpetuates it’s continued failure because it does nothing to cause kids to want to play it. In Spain, there are maybe 4-5 girls in the entire country born every year who will eventually become mothers who might look at soccer as a potential pathway to something more than an little exercise until you’re 12. In the US, you have 10,000 every year who played college soccer and 100,000 who obtained some fulfillment playing HS. They probably sucked at soccer, but they had fun and that means they’ll encourage their kids to play. Then you add in the fact that virtually every girl in the US plays soccer when they’re little, and even the parents who never looked at soccer as a path to anything start to when they get educated by the 10s of thousands who do. From that, you get base of youth players that will never, ever be rivaled by another country. In other words, Spain’s system does nothing to change what holds it back, which is that so few people want to play it. If we act like Spain, we’ll eventually get consistent results like Spain.

When people rip on HS soccer, they fail to understand why it is an important part of the US’s continued success. It is important because it causes people who will eventually become mothers to steeled their kids to soccer because they enjoyed it. It causes fathers to steer their precious little girls that direction because that’s what we do in America, plus daddy also remembers that Jenny who played HS was the most popular girl in school.

I’ll say it again. The only thing that makes a great soccer power is that more kids play it and at a high level, they play it more often, and for a longer span of years. Everything you propose only helps level the playing field by taking away the one big advantage that sets the US apart.

I'm doing my things my way because that GDA league was joke and I had no choice but to get the hell out. it's called "padding your numbers" so you look good too :) Nothing like driving out to CO and having one coach stay and watch. Get the email and they say 25 came to watch. ((This was from a friend who shared with me the truth))
What does a league have to do with this discussion? Just a few of us trying to give you perspective (yes...we should all know better).

Go ahead, don’t email Coaches, have the TM take your DD’s info off the Team flyer and tell them if a Coach asks about your DD, nott answer them. I don’t recommend it, but it makes no difference to me.

What does a league have to do with this discussion? Just a few of us trying to give you perspective (yes...we should all know better).

Go ahead, don’t email Coaches, have the TM take your DD’s info off the Team flyer and tell them if a Coach asks about your DD, nott answer them. I don’t recommend it, but it makes no difference to me.
The league has everything to do with it for this father. Again, when I signed up bro back in______________________________2017, it was for YNT with the hopes of pro. That was the pitch to her and us. So you can imagine how I felt when my dd was asked to send emails to coaches when she was 13 and 14 so she can practice when the coach calls to wish her a happy bday....lol, that's when and I got upset. You can understand that, right? Then, I see TMs running to college coaches when I wanted the coach to run up to the scouts for YNT. You can;t sell me one thing and then pull out the D1 card. I can see I was the only sold YNT and Pro pathway when it is obviously 100% all about college. The sane people got mad at me for barking about all this. I want us to win at the highest lever. America first, not college game.

Definitely multiple components to the recruiting process, and some aspects of it are over hyped. In my experience as a team manager for multiple teams, and experience managing a team in ECNL, there are a lot of things that can be done and the posts by multiple contributors here in regards to their war stories seem to highlight an improvement that can be made overall in the recruiting process as it seems like the current process is to cover all the bases possible because of the lack of "one" specific way players get recruited:

Videos / Highlights
Player Profile Pages / Links
Social Media Promotion / Outreach
E-Mails (Generic)
E-Mails (Specific)
Phone Calls
In Person Conversations
Team Profile / Pamphlets
Club Coach Outreach
Club Director Outreach
Team Manager Outreach

I'm guilty of having been involved in all of those, some to a greater extent than others as @Keepers_Keeper and @Kicker4Life outlined and clarified the outreach from a team manager is generic and very much just a hand off of basic information the college coach can then do what they please with.

Both my kids have gotten "nibbles" and a few "bites" from college coaches, through the email process. Coaches have responded to their emails after catching their games and have given their observations / notes on strengths and opportunities for improvement. They've had a lot of luck in particular with the assistant coaches for academic favorite colleges they'd like to attend.

It's a lot of work, but the more ground you / player can cover in the process will cast a bigger net when trying to catch what you're looking for. My oldest is on a good trajectory and has some things lined up so I'm hoping the next couple of years will seal the deal, so to speak. The youngest is going to be a whirlwind for sure, as she doesn't have a plan and lives in the moment, which I appreciate and envy at times. She's higher caliber in terms of "GOD given Talent" and I expect a roller coaster for the next 4 years with her.

Definitely multiple components to the recruiting process, and some aspects of it are over hyped. In my experience as a team manager for multiple teams, and experience managing a team in ECNL, there are a lot of things that can be done and the posts by multiple contributors here in regards to their war stories seem to highlight an improvement that can be made overall in the recruiting process as it seems like the current process is to cover all the bases possible because of the lack of "one" specific way players get recruited:

Videos / Highlights
E-Mails (Generic)
E-Mails (Specific)
Phone Calls
In Person Conversations
Team Profile / Pamphlets
Club Coach Outreach
Club Director Outreach
Team Manager Outreach

I'm guilty of having been involved in all of those, some to a greater extent than others as @Keepers_Keeper and @Kicker4Life outlined and clarified the outreach from a team manager is generic and very much just a hand off of basic information the college coach can then do what they please with.

Both my kids have gotten "nibbles" and a few "bites" from college coaches, through the email process. Coaches have responded to their emails after catching their games and have given their observations / notes on strengths and opportunities for improvement. They've had a lot of luck in particular with the assistant coaches for academic favorite colleges they'd like to attend.

It's a lot of work, but the more ground you / player can cover in the process will cast a bigger net when trying to catch what you're looking for. My oldest is on a good trajectory and has some things lined up so I'm hoping the next couple of years will seal the deal, so to speak. The youngest is going to be a whirlwind for sure, as she doesn't have a plan and lives in the moment, which I appreciate and envy at times. She's higher caliber in terms of "GOD given Talent" and I expect a roller coaster for the next 4 years with her.
The past is the past. That old way was horrible and not special. This new way is way better and it allows all of you sit and watch the game too. I also would like to make a suggestion on the showcases. Make them league games, not, "I don;t care if we win games."

You can;t sell me one thing and then pull out the D1 card. I can see I was the only sold YNT and Pro pathway when it is obviously 100% all about college. The sane people got mad at me for barking about all this. I want us to win at the highest lever. America first, not college game.
Serious question, with several players / families taking the chance on their kid like OM parents and @MacDre with his DD, is going a route like that out of the question in your scenario? It may not be the "norm" but isn't out of the question anymore as several have laid out that pathway to be followed.

I'm very interested in seeing how @MacDre and his DDs dream play out as they've hedged their bets and have a calculated plan in place. I'm rooting for his DD as my pops went through the Fuerzas Basicas in Mexico and topped out around High School age. He went for his dream and it didn't pan out, but has no regrets.

The past is the past. That old way was horrible and not special. This new way is way better and it allows all of you sit and watch the game too. I also would like to make a suggestion on the showcases. Make them league games, not, "I don;t care if we win games."
Definitely very difficult to try and whack all those "moles" in the recruiting / scouting process.

I may have missed the announcement of the "new way", has there been a structured plan on recruitment / scouting put in place with the league alignments? I wasn't able to find anything specific.

Showcases can certainly be improved, I think the pairing system has been a plus and fair to make for competitive games that can be beneficial for the recruiting / scouting process.

Serious question, with several players / families taking the chance on their kid like OM parents and @MacDre with his DD, is going a route like that out of the question in your scenario? It may not be the "norm" but isn't out of the question anymore as several have laid out that pathway to be followed.

I'm very interested in seeing how @MacDre and his DDs dream play out as they've hedged their bets and have a calculated plan in place. I'm rooting for his DD as my pops went through the Fuerzas Basicas in Mexico and topped out around High School age. He went for his dream and it didn't pan out, but has no regrets.
So the other comments you made were not serious? Thanks for being serious today Tech. The pro thing is out for now. College is her goal now. No money for pros. I only see MLS helping like the NBA does for WNBA and that won;t happen for a long time. If my dd goes pro, it will be after college and that is probably not likely. She has been approached to model a few times too but she always tells those dudes to buzz off :) I like what @MacDre is doing and I like what @Luis Andres is doing. My kid went for it but the adults were cheats and put a very bad taste in her mouth brotha. But, it's water under the bridge. She will go for college and play for college cup. I see her majoring in criminal justice or media and communications. I see her being an investigative reporter or FBI crime buster some day :)

The league has everything to do with it for this father. Again, when I signed up bro back in______________________________2017, it was for YNT with the hopes of pro. That was the pitch to her and us. So you can imagine how I felt when my dd was asked to send emails to coaches when she was 13 and 14 so she can practice when the coach calls to wish her a happy bday....lol, that's when and I got upset. You can understand that, right? Then, I see TMs running to college coaches when I wanted the coach to run up to the scouts for YNT. You can;t sell me one thing and then pull out the D1 card. I can see I was the only sold YNT and Pro pathway when it is obviously 100% all about college. The sane people got mad at me for barking about all this. I want us to win at the highest lever. America first, not college game.
Can we move passed what happened back in 2017! Its. been brought up on many threads now. We are glad to found a home for your daughter in ANY LEAGUE. If she's happy and have the right coach then you're doing the right thing. My personal experience at a showcase was as I was watching a game, the scouts come by and ask what's the soccer, what color are you guys wearing and here's my card. Thats it!! Now, overtime when you see the same faces at your games they talking more about how they think team x is going win because team 0 can't hold on to the ball. They're always polite and sit down next to all the other scouts that shows up and watch as much as they can. Some might share some crazy stories of parents just being parents but other than that, it's a simple job. Not sure scouts are looking for YNT or Pros either. All players will have different pathways to college or to play college soccer. Who's to say your way is right and my way is wrong? Sometimes pathways merge together with a successful outcome. Best of luck. You do realize I mentioned nothing about leagues either.

Can we move passed what happened back in 2017! Its. been brought up on many threads now. We are glad to found a home for your daughter in ANY LEAGUE. If she's happy and have the right coach then you're doing the right thing. My personal experience at a showcase was as I was watching a game, the scouts come by and ask what's the soccer, what color are you guys wearing and here's my card. Thats it!! Now, overtime when you see the same faces at your games they talking more about how they think team x is going win because team 0 can't hold on to the ball. They're always polite and sit down next to all the other scouts that shows up and watch as much as they can. Some might share some crazy stories of parents just being parents but other than that, it's a simple job. Not sure scouts are looking for YNT or Pros either. All players will have different pathways to college or to play college soccer. Who's to say your way is right and my way is wrong? Sometimes pathways merge together with a successful outcome. Best of luck. You do realize I mentioned nothing about leagues either.
Stop commenting on my post and I wont talk about the past and how these showcases went from 1 to 5. I'm sick of showcases, ok!!!!! Showcases are way overrated and no need for 5. One, ok. Let's talk about next season bro. How many showcases is too many? I want the showcase to have meaning, like a league game.

Videos / Highlights
E-Mails (Generic)
E-Mails (Specific)
Phone Calls
In Person Conversations
Team Profile / Pamphlets
Club Coach Outreach
Club Director Outreach
Team Manager Outreach

Your last daughter sounds like my younger daughter of 3. Kickingandscreaming can vouch for that! LOL! Good luck!

Stop commenting on my post and I wont talk about the past and how these showcases went from 1 to 5. I'm sick of showcases, ok!!!!! Showcases are way overrated and no need for 5. One, ok. Let's talk about next season bro. How many showcases is too many? I want the showcase to have meaning, like a league game.
Do you need a hug again? Relax!!

You know as parent you have a choice not to go to all showcases right?

Definitely very difficult to try and whack all those "moles" in the recruiting / scouting process.

I may have missed the announcement of the "new way", has there been a structured plan on recruitment / scouting put in place with the league alignments? I wasn't able to find anything specific.

Showcases can certainly be improved, I think the pairing system has been a plus and fair to make for competitive games that can be beneficial for the recruiting / scouting process.
The new way begins June 15th. It means you guys dont have to get in the middle of our kids recruiting anymore. My dd can meet and greet all she wants Tech. Unlimited talks. This is a big decision and with 80% not finishing what they started, I think it's wise to take your time. She doesn;t have to go to a showcase either, although I like the idea of one or two and without the TM having to hand papers out with my kids face and bio. My kid has until her Sr year of signing day to decide. Name one sport that has a service where the TM goes around and hands out papers. Softball? Volleyball? Hoops? Maybe I'm off here but this is the most crazy thing I saw besides some other things.....

EJ, ECNL showcase games count in your conference standings. They are not throwaway games.

EJ, ECNL showcase games count in your conference standings. They are not throwaway games.
They didn;t this year and I hear they did count the year before spupercell. Geek Kid is wrong too :) Listen, I'm what you call a pure competitor. Do you know what that means?

They didn;t this year and I hear they did count the year before spupercell. Geek Kid is wrong too :) Listen, I'm what you call a pure competitor. Do you know what that means?
lol, spupercell! I can tell you for certain, that showcase games counted in our ECNL standings. We're in a different conference though, but it would seem weird that different conferences would do the stats differently.

I have no idea what the meaning is in half your posts, so no, I don't know what a pure competitor is.

Back