Coast Soccer 2020 Division Brackets

After much consideration, we decided to sit out the fall season. With training still limited (and, according to Cal South's Return to Play Protocol, still optional), asking our teams to start playing competitive games in October didn't make sense to us from either a soccer or a public health perspective.

This wasn't an easy choice: our kids and coaches want to play. But as we all try to work out what "best practice" means these days, we feel it was the right choice for us. The folks at Coast were incredible, as they always have been, and they understand our decision. We look forward to putting teams in some tournaments when it feels appropriate, and we'll be back in league play next year.

It may be a trivial matter in the current situation, but this also means that your team will be ineligible for State Cup or National Cup in Winter/Spring 2021, unless there is some action by Cal South to declare they will not be enforcing the Team Eligibility rules in Part 3 of the State Cup rules.

After much consideration, we decided to sit out the fall season. With training still limited (and, according to Cal South's Return to Play Protocol, still optional), asking our teams to start playing competitive games in October didn't make sense to us from either a soccer or a public health perspective.

This wasn't an easy choice: our kids and coaches want to play. But as we all try to work out what "best practice" means these days, we feel it was the right choice for us. The folks at Coast were incredible, as they always have been, and they understand our decision. We look forward to putting teams in some tournaments when it feels appropriate, and we'll be back in league play next year.
Thanks for the update. My daughters 05 team had finally climbed the hill from bronze to premier over the last 4 years and Tudela was going to be a highlight for us based on how well the Tudela organization plays possession soccer. Look forward to when things get back to normal and you rejoin CSL. If and when scrimmages are allowed message me and we could set something up.

question: how will you handle players fees?
The way we always do: we request full fees, and whoever can pay them does, but families pay what they can. We offer a lot of financial assistance -- more this year than ever -- but we want everyone to get the chance to play.

We told our families what we had decided, and people were welcome to go to another club if they wanted; but if 10 league games during a pandemic are the reason you switch clubs, maybe it wasn't the right fit anyway. We're still offering the best training we can manage, given health and permit restrictions, and we think there's value in that. We also still need to pay our coaches, our Cal South registrations, insurance, etc., and whenever Los Angeles allows us to get field permits again, they're going to be expensive. So our players' families understand that, while one club cost has been removed, there are still plenty of expenses that we need to cover, and we didn't receive any federal bailout assistance.

Again, it's not at all what we wanted to do. Like everyone, we're trying to get through this incredibly difficult time in a way that we can be even stronger in 2021.

It may be a trivial matter in the current situation, but this also means that your team will be ineligible for State Cup or National Cup in Winter/Spring 2021, unless there is some action by Cal South to declare they will not be enforcing the Team Eligibility rules in Part 3 of the State Cup rules.

I would be surprised if they don't take an action, considering we had our 2020 National Cup canceled (and are still awaiting reimbursement for our tournament fee.) It would be obscenely punitive to enforce a league game minimum after what everyone has gone through this year, just as it would be absurd to require teams to play games when they can't obtain practice permits and technically aren't allowed contact training.

Thanks for the update. My daughters 05 team had finally climbed the hill from bronze to premier over the last 4 years and Tudela was going to be a highlight for us based on how well the Tudela organization plays possession soccer. Look forward to when things get back to normal and you rejoin CSL. If and when scrimmages are allowed message me and we could set something up.
Oh no! Well, truly, congrats to your daughter's team for that climb, and I'm sorry we won't get to meet up this year. I'll absolutely be in touch.

This should get the post of the year award! I tip my hat to you. If, and it is a big if, there is a fall season this year, it will only be because the clubs are pushing the leagues run a league that makes no sense. We all want to get back to playing, without question. However, it is not possible that there will be enough schools and city fields available to make it logistically feasible. Everybody pushing behind the scenes knows this. The only ones that don't are the gullible parents that keep believing that the season will start in a couple of weeks. How do we go from no practices (the majority of teams do not have practice fields), to full contact training to permitting to field prep to all that goes with getting the season going, to competitive league games in 4 weeks? It makes more sense to just yank the parent's chain and keep collecting fees.

The way we always do: we request full fees, and whoever can pay them does, but families pay what they can. We offer a lot of financial assistance -- more this year than ever -- but we want everyone to get the chance to play.

We told our families what we had decided, and people were welcome to go to another club if they wanted; but if 10 league games during a pandemic are the reason you switch clubs, maybe it wasn't the right fit anyway. We're still offering the best training we can manage, given health and permit restrictions, and we think there's value in that. We also still need to pay our coaches, our Cal South registrations, insurance, etc., and whenever Los Angeles allows us to get field permits again, they're going to be expensive. So our players' families understand that, while one club cost has been removed, there are still plenty of expenses that we need to cover, and we didn't receive any federal bailout assistance.

Again, it's not at all what we wanted to do. Like everyone, we're trying to get through this incredibly difficult time in a way that we can be even stronger in 2021.
Your well thought out comments and analysis are very appreciated. You clearly care about the kids and unfortunately that is missing too much in club soccer. Also, when I read your posts, I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode of Bizzaro world, is Mauricio Ingrassia your opposite? Thanks again.

Reactions: KJR
Your well thought out comments and analysis are very appreciated. You clearly care about the kids and unfortunately that is missing too much in club soccer. Also, when I read your posts, I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode of Bizzaro world, is Mauricio Ingrassia your opposite? Thanks again.
Thanks for that -- much appreciated. We are definitely not perfect, but we do care about the kids, and we always try to lead with that.

Wishing everyone the best for the rest of the year, whether your teams are playing or not. We all share a love of the game, and we want it to be a positive part of our kids' lives. Really looking forward to that being easier!

How do we go from no practices (the majority of teams do not have practice fields), to full contact training to permitting to field prep to all that goes with getting the season going, to competitive league games in 4 weeks? It makes more sense to just yank the parent's chain and keep collecting fees.
I question how many teams aren't practicing. First, are there any ECNL teams that aren't practicing? What about all the other teams from those same clubs? Add in the number of So Cal teams going out of state for Tourney's and I have to believe that there are more teams practicing than those that aren't.

I question how many teams aren't practicing. First, are there any ECNL teams that aren't practicing? What about all the other teams from those same clubs? Add in the number of So Cal teams going out of state for Tourney's and I have to believe that there are more teams practicing than those that aren't.

There are a ton of whole clubs that aren't practicing right now because they depend on permits from schools, which aren't available. The clubs going to those out of state tournaments are almost universally OC-based, and so you're missing an absolute ton of LA County clubs. There just aren't the facilities available. I know of at least four entire clubs that are not training at all, and easily half a dozen more that only have a small percentage of their teams training.

Reactions: KJR

I have finally heard a statement that helps me understand what is meant by "White Privilege". There are probably more teams in LA county than the other counties combined and fields here are extremely hard to find. Nice that you are able to practice but the world doesn't revolve around you. Just because you are practicing doesn't mean that all other teams are. Step out of your bubble.

Looking through this list and looking through the list of teams on some of the clubs-- holy hell, there has been devastation. This is ten times worse than I thought it was going to be.

If there is a season, it will be meaningless and not representative of the teams and clubs out there. Kids by the thousands taking a pass this season. Let's just hope they don't take a permanent vacation from the sport.

There are a ton of whole clubs that aren't practicing right now because they depend on permits from schools, which aren't available. The clubs going to those out of state tournaments are almost universally OC-based, and so you're missing an absolute ton of LA County clubs. There just aren't the facilities available. I know of at least four entire clubs that are not training at all, and easily half a dozen more that only have a small percentage of their teams training.
I can vouch that Riverside County teams are practicing, and from what we have heard Orange County and San Diego County are as well. I forget how much of LA County is on lock down and how big they are. What are the big clubs in LA County?

I have finally heard a statement that helps me understand what is meant by "White Privilege". There are probably more teams in LA county than the other counties combined and fields here are extremely hard to find. Nice that you are able to practice but the world doesn't revolve around you. Just because you are practicing doesn't mean that all other teams are. Step out of your bubble.
White Privilege because Riverside County parks are open and LA parks aren't? :rolleyes: . How did that even get put into the conversation.

I can vouch that Riverside County teams are practicing, and from what we have heard Orange County and San Diego County are as well. I forget how much of LA County is on lock down and how big they are. What are the big clubs in LA County?
Many city fields in OC have been open for training since August. School fields starting to open this week. No contact yet, of course.

Why in the world would you attack someone with the "White Privilege" comment? That's completely unnecessary.

There's the usual suspects, but LA County is interesting in that there are a ton of little neighborhood clubs. You have your Long Beach FCs, your Hawaiian Gardens Eagles, your Sand and Surfs and Steel Uniteds in the beach communities, your Downtown LA FCs, your Culver City FCs, etc etc.

There's the usual suspects, but LA County is interesting in that there are a ton of little neighborhood clubs. You have your Long Beach FCs, your Hawaiian Gardens Eagles, your Sand and Surfs and Steel Uniteds in the beach communities, your Downtown LA FCs, your Culver City FCs, etc etc.
I love all the small clubs. We play for one. I've been told all the Real SoCal and Legends SGV teams are practicing in LA County, plus parks are being used to get some simple drills in for other clubs.

Looking through this list and looking through the list of teams on some of the clubs-- holy hell, there has been devastation. This is ten times worse than I thought it was going to be.

Look a little closer at some roster sizes too. I saw a few that have 11v11 teams with 8 or 9 players listed.
If you are on a current team with 18 players and aren’t getting a ton of playing time- I’d suggest looking around.

Back