Coast Soccer 2020 Division Brackets

I have finally heard a statement that helps me understand what is meant by "White Privilege". There are probably more teams in LA county than the other counties combined and fields here are extremely hard to find. Nice that you are able to practice but the world doesn't revolve around you. Just because you are practicing doesn't mean that all other teams are. Step out of your bubble.

Privilege occurs because privilege is earned. Same goes for everyone else.

Looking through this list and looking through the list of teams on some of the clubs-- holy hell, there has been devastation. This is ten times worse than I thought it was going to be.
I don't think we should be that surprised; a lot of us on here said we thought numbers would be strongly impacted because of the situation and it appears that has happened (certainly based on CSL anyway). The kids who play(ed) club soccer just for a bit of fun, likely aren't that bothered it has stopped and so many of them may have dropped out. No judgment; it's understandable.

There's clearly an imbalance in club soccer right now; some clubs can practice multiple times a week, some have shorter practices because of less field space and some can't practice at all. Regardless of that imbalance, I've said a few times that if you run your club/organization in the right way, chances are you will be less impacted during times like we are currently experiencing because your players/parents will support you. If you run an organization purely for profit and don't really give a shit about your players/parents (because they are just numbers and $'s), you are likely going to be more negatively impacted during any time of crisis or struggle.

Tudela FC is a great example of a club that is almost certainly not going to be impacted because they do things the right way. They are clearly well organized, have strong coaches and a consistent style of play and approach across the board; this is something respected not only by parents of the players at the club but also by coaches and parents of opposing teams. Despite not playing in CSL this season (if we have one of course, that's still up for debate), my guess is that Tudela will not be impacted in terms of losing players; their parents and players will stick with the club because they know they are very well looked after and so moving doesn't make a lot of sense. I have nothing but respect for Tudela and clubs like them.

Interested to see if the other leagues are impacted like CSL once the teams and rosters are confirmed. Definitely a lot of very small rosters in CSL, as someone else pointed out; expect to see more teams combining in the coming weeks/months and that will further impact the number of teams in each bracket/division.

It's not that unusual for CSL rosters to be incomplete when first posted. Historically, you just had to post something like 7 names (for an 11 v. 11 roster) by the end of July to get put on the schedule and then you had the rest of the month to fill in names. Some teams would put in a bunch of fake names or double counts just until they could buy time to get their real rosters sorted out before the start of the season. Sometimes, it was just disorganization because you knew the team had enough kids coming to practices.

This is probably worse now because some teams entered their rosters diligently, but others have done nothing to adjust them all summer. Heck, there is at least one team out there right now with a "CHRISTIANO RONALDO" listed on their roster without a jersey number (hey, maybe it's the boys' real name, but I'm guessing not) and it's a team with a 20+ person roster. So, while many teams are likely short players, the more accurate point in time to get a read on the magnitude in the drop in roster sizes would be the night before a real season begins, not right now when there was very little motivation for team managers to get their act together.

Our roster lists 5 girls that aren't with the team and is missing two girls that are on the team, so it sounds like you are on to something.

It's not that unusual for CSL rosters to be incomplete when first posted. Historically, you just had to post something like 7 names (for an 11 v. 11 roster) by the end of July to get put on the schedule and then you had the rest of the month to fill in names. Some teams would put in a bunch of fake names or double counts just until they could buy time to get their real rosters sorted out before the start of the season. Sometimes, it was just disorganization because you knew the team had enough kids coming to practices.

This is probably worse now because some teams entered their rosters diligently, but others have done nothing to adjust them all summer. Heck, there is at least one team out there right now with a "CHRISTIANO RONALDO" listed on their roster without a jersey number (hey, maybe it's the boys' real name, but I'm guessing not) and it's a team with a 20+ person roster. So, while many teams are likely short players, the more accurate point in time to get a read on the magnitude in the drop in roster sizes would be the night before a real season begins, not right now when there was very little motivation for team managers to get their act together.

Good point.
I’ll also add that for clubs that had 2 or 3 teams in an age group- you are gojng to see some combo of the a/b/c players together this year. It will be quite a few teams. So you may see some blowouts when coaches mostly play the “A” girls if other coaches try to get everyone on the field.

Reactions: KJR
I have finally heard a statement that helps me understand what is meant by "White Privilege". There are probably more teams in LA county than the other counties combined and fields here are extremely hard to find. Nice that you are able to practice but the world doesn't revolve around you. Just because you are practicing doesn't mean that all other teams are. Step out of your bubble.
That is the dumbest logic that I’ve seen on this thread. By the way, teams in the Downey-Cerritos- Whittier area are practicing.

There's the usual suspects, but LA County is interesting in that there are a ton of little neighborhood clubs. You have your Long Beach FCs, your Hawaiian Gardens Eagles, your Sand and Surfs and Steel Uniteds in the beach communities, your Downtown LA FCs, your Culver City FCs, etc etc.
All those team are definitely practicing a lot private facilities in their area if not travel outside their are just to practice

All those team are definitely practicing a lot private facilities in their area if not travel outside their are just to practice

No, they definitely are not.

Some clubs are having some teams surreptitiously get some kids to gather at local parks with their coaches, without uniforms, doing distanced skills training. The small clubs don't have the funds available to continuously rent out privately-owned space and parents in these smaller clubs with kids on bronze teams are not the types to drive an hour and a half one way for practice.

I have no doubt whatsoever that if the Coast and SCDSL seasons kick off on Oct 31, we will see waves of forfeits from teams being unable to field enough kids. This is a lost year anyways; maybe the leagues can temporarily suspend the club pass rules so kids can eg play up within the club for a second game in a day, just so teams can field a full squad.

This is where the clubs that have their own facilities definitely have an advantage. Not that doing ball work in a 10x10 square is really going to make much difference

No, they definitely are not.

Some clubs are having some teams surreptitiously get some kids to gather at local parks with their coaches, without uniforms, doing distanced skills training. The small clubs don't have the funds available to continuously rent out privately-owned space and parents in these smaller clubs with kids on bronze teams are not the types to drive an hour and a half one way for practice.

I have no doubt whatsoever that if the Coast and SCDSL seasons kick off on Oct 31, we will see waves of forfeits from teams being unable to field enough kids. This is a lost year anyways; maybe the leagues can temporarily suspend the club pass rules so kids can eg play up within the club for a second game in a day, just so teams can field a full squad.
There is never a good enough reason for a player to play 2 games in a day. Period.

sad to see...... my DDs played SCDSL and never in CSL but it is sad to see leagues failing from Covid..........

The league may contract, but I think it will still survive.

Now let's see some sympathy for all those leagues that failed in the 90's as CSL absorbed their teams.

Yes the CSL has been decimated -
For 2020 CSL. Still a good amount of divisions. More drop off it appears for the boys side from last year. Any idea what the SCDSL divisions look like yet?

Girls
2003 - 9 divisions (Last year 10 divisions U18)
2004 - 12 divisions
2005 - 11 divisions
2006 - 16 divisions (Last year 13 divisions for U15)
2007 - 11 divisions
2008 - 15 divisions (Last year 12 divisions for U13)
2009 - 12 divisions
2010 - 9 divisions
2011 - 7 divisions

Boys
2003 - 9 divisions
2004 - 15 divisions
2005 - 15 divisions (Last year 20 divisions for U16)
2006 - 19 divisions
2007 - 19 divisions (Last year 20 divisions for U14)
2008 - 20 divisions
2009 - 20 divisions (Last year 27 divisions for U12)
2010 - 19 divisions
2011 - 17 divisions

For 2020 CSL. Still a good amount of divisions. More drop off it appears for the boys side from last year. Any idea what the SCDSL divisions look like yet?

Girls
2003 - 9 divisions (Last year 10 divisions U18)
2004 - 12 divisions
2005 - 11 divisions
2006 - 16 divisions (Last year 13 divisions for U15)
2007 - 11 divisions
2008 - 15 divisions (Last year 12 divisions for U13)
2009 - 12 divisions
2010 - 9 divisions
2011 - 7 divisions

Boys
2003 - 9 divisions
2004 - 15 divisions
2005 - 15 divisions (Last year 20 divisions for U16)
2006 - 19 divisions
2007 - 19 divisions (Last year 20 divisions for U14)
2008 - 20 divisions
2009 - 20 divisions (Last year 27 divisions for U12)
2010 - 19 divisions
2011 - 17 divisions

Any insight on the number of teams per division?

Back