CIF decision

Back on topic....
High schools will have a lot of logistical issues to work out with combining sports that normally are not in the same season.
Games/practices/field space. It will not have any wiggle room and everyone will have to follow strict schedule.
Club teams that normally use school fields will not be able to do this anymore.

Assuming we do reopen up in time for a high school season, the other thing to consider is that the teachers may be far behind after the chaos of the fall and may be trying to crank it. There's some talk in California and New York education circles that kids might need to be held a year back. The schools are worried that when testing resumes, the test results (and the money that goes with them) may crater. So the discussion as to how to remedy is hold everyone back a year. If they don't go that route, they'll be enormous pressure for the teachers to make up ground in the spring. It applies also to the high performing classes as well as the AP tests roll around. Lot of variables (e.g. how they grade in the fall and how serious teachers and students take it) but my money is on the teachers (after the idea of hold everyone back a year dies) will be under pressure to crank it in the spring.

Sort the kids out with standardized testing and offer to hold some back where appropriate. Make it a parent/student decision.

Imagine all of those ECNL clubs thinking "Sweet!! WE can now get our hands on those DA players we've been drooling over. We can get them excited because they can also play high school now."
And today they are thinking "SH&T. How am I going to continue to coach HS and work for this ECNL club?"
as always follow the money.....do i keep employee benefits or do i take ECNL cash. hehe

D7 soccer for boys and girls begin in December. The remaining divisions start in March. Is D7 for smaller schools?

Varsity only in many sports might be a reality.
for us we’d pick ecnl over high school which SUCKS after being in DA and looking forward to high school for many reasons. But if soccer is up and going in the spring and our kid wants to play in college, it’s not worth missing club practice or games for hs. Plus the overload. If all is up and running getting exposure will be the priority in spring and hs won’t do that.
Maybe (?) club will be running before then and ecnl can get in an event of two so if you play hs you don’t miss any opportunities.

and I’m 100% certain our ecnl club coach won’t be flexible with missing club practice all week to accommodate all the different high schools game schedules. I’ve seen this movie before. But who knows. Everything is upside down.

for us we’d pick ecnl over high school which SUCKS after being in DA and looking forward to high school for many reasons. But if soccer is up and going in the spring and our kid wants to play in college, it’s not worth missing club practice or games for hs. Plus the overload. If all is up and running getting exposure will be the priority in spring and hs won’t do that.
Maybe (?) club will be running before then and ecnl can get in an event of two so if you play hs you don’t miss any opportunities.

and I’m 100% certain our ecnl club coach won’t be flexible with missing club practice all week to accommodate all the different high schools game schedules. I’ve seen this movie before. But who knows. Everything is upside down.
It would suck if your dd coach would put the either or on your player. I had a whole league do that to my kid and that sucked big time. My guess is they try to work together. Also, my dd will do both some way some how and manage the right health aspects.

It would heavily depend on how good your HS program is. If it's not, then no point to play HS, but otherwise you may get more opportunities to get recruited out of HS then you may think.
Varsity only is not the answer to anything. There are many kids that want to play in HS but will never play on Varsity.

There are some very solid hs/club soccer players that also excel at track, tennis, softball and lacrosse.
Will be very interesting to see what these players decide to do. Will be interesting to see what the HS AD and coaches try to do with these players. Will be interesting to see how roster sizes will be impacted.

There are some very solid hs/club soccer players that also excel at track, tennis, softball and lacrosse.
Will be very interesting to see what these players decide to do. Will be interesting to see what the HS AD and coaches try to do with these players. Will be interesting to see how roster sizes will be impacted.
it will be the time for HS coaches from different sports to finally work together with dual/triple sport athletes, instead of telling them to pick one sport.

In HS our kicker on the football team was the star soccer player. Football and soccer were played during the same season. He would often be running from one practice to the other. Soccer games were usually on Thursday. Football games on Friday. There was one week were the football game got moved to a Thursday. He got the football game at halftime.

The last year has been interesting and it will interesting to see what plays out next year :)

This season all CIF rules regarding playing club at the same time as HS will be suspended. This means technically kids can play both, just don't know how it will be possible to do it at the same time. Too much training and games.
Always keep academics first and foremost.

Doubt children will be first in line for it, particularly given our governors recent actions. For the younger kids they also have to be pediatric doses which require additional testing.
Early doses should go to hospital workers, EMT's, people with compromised immunity, fire fighters, law enforcement. It has nothing to do with governors or any political agenda.

I have a kid who just finished HS and two getting started. The pressure that even the heavily-recruited athlete faces is enormous and if a parents are going through the HS ride with their first child - not knowing how to contextualize the season, not knowing how much to believe or shut out a DOC or club coach, how much to prioritize a specific show-case this one very odd academic year . . . Kids (and parents) are going to feel a lot pressure to do too much.

If the club season remains in spring and a full club/full HS season are played simultaneously (with similar participation rates), I predict the ACL tear rate for the 14 to 18 yo set will be very, VERY high in late spring/early summer. My older kid was a GK and I'd be less worried about her playing that # of games (more worried about an increased concussion risk b/c of so many more live-action minutes) but my younger two are field players. It will be tough to tell them - and their coach - "no. That's too much" b/c it always feels like ONE MORE GAME is OK or a weekend with restricted minutes but that is how fatigue builds.
Especially if they haven't played any games in 9 or 10 months. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

wait until track athletes or baseball players will not chose soccer and all ECNL coaches (except ones coaching in private schools) will tell their players to not play HS
Bottome line is... If you play at the ECNL level and you're a 2021 or 2022 grad year, HS soccer should not be an option for you... especially if you're not already committed. Assuming they want to play in college, their effort should be playing at the highest level possible without getting hurt and having college coaches see you. College coaches almost never come to HS games. Club trainings, ECNL games + HS trainings and games is a recipe for disaster.

Bottome line is... If you play at the ECNL level and you're a 2021 or 2022 grad year, HS soccer should not be an option for you... especially if you're not already committed. Assuming they want to play in college, their effort should be playing at the highest level possible without getting hurt and having college coaches see you. College coaches almost never come to HS games. Club trainings, ECNL games + HS trainings and games is a recipe for disaster.
I bet you $50 that ECNL SW will make it work so kids have a choice for both. You sound like my dd old Doc coach. Obviously people like you and others will say it should not be an option. I say it should be an option for those who want both.

Is this from your personal experience? It's just my experience is very different.
I know few coaches who coach both ECNL and HS, I also know few college coaches who love to come to HS games.

Is this from your personal experience? It's just my experience is very different.
I know few coaches who coach both ECNL and HS, I also know few college coaches who love to come to HS games.

I don't know any college coaches who "love" to come to HS games, but I know some college coaches who will attend a HS game to look at a player they have already heard about.

We have college coaches attending our HS games, come playoff time there a bunch of them and other scouts.

If a HS player is a standout "all" team type they will get noticed however there are only 11-15 of those per division so the club showcase players might have a numbers difference advantage, more of them being offered especially on the girls side

Back