Bad News Thread

Why skip masks when kids are still on zoom and office workers are still at home?
Who is saying you can’t wear one?

Many kids have been in school since Sept. (mainly those with less influential Teachers Unions)

Pandemic officially over. Except for the 700 people dying per day. Pandemic not quite over for them.

This is about the thousandth time someone, somewhere, got over excited and jumped the gun on relaxing rules. The masks and the vaccines are the only non-painful ways to reduce cases. Why skip masks when kids are still on zoom and office workers are still at home?
What are the 700 per day dying of?

Who is saying you can’t wear one?

Many kids have been in school since Sept. (mainly those with less influential Teachers Unions)

Not the point. I can wear one, but the real transmission problem is from unmasked, unvaccinated people.

What happened to all your concern for people who are out of work? 30,000 cases a day is still a drag on the economy. Closing offices is also a drag on the economy. Lack of child care is a drag on the economy. Wearing masks can help us solve all three of those problems.

Or does unemployment matter only when we are reopening, but not when we are deciding on masks?

Pandemic officially over. Except for the 700 people dying per day. Pandemic not quite over for them.

This is about the thousandth time someone, somewhere, got over excited and jumped the gun on relaxing rules. The masks and the vaccines are the only non-painful ways to reduce cases. Why skip masks when kids are still on zoom and office workers are still at home?
It’s never going to be zero...at least not for 2-3 more years. People die of flu adenovirus colds and enterovirus too. I almost died once from a nasty bacterial resistant sinus infection off of a common cold. So what’s your official number for when it’s no longer a problem?

Not the point. I can wear one, but the real transmission problem is from unmasked, unvaccinated people.

What happened to all your concern for people who are out of work? 30,000 cases a day is still a drag on the economy. Closing offices is also a drag on the economy. Lack of child care is a drag on the economy. Wearing masks can help us solve all three of those problems.

Or does unemployment matter only when we are reopening, but not when we are deciding on masks?
They are only a risk to themselves not the vaccinated, so help me understand the issue?

Yah…we need to open the economy, stop printing money and incentivizing people to stay home. If you hated your minimum wage job that you had pre-pandemic and you’ve been on stimulus for the past 13 months or so, shame on you if you didn’t do anything to learn a new skill during that time. I know many who “reinvented” themselves via online courses.

I’m sure we can all learn a lot from FL and Texas at this point.

Curious that LA followed the CDC to a T for so many months and Now that the CDC revised its guidance, LA is still trying to enforce a mask mandate.

Yawn

Now even the New York Times is piling on the CDC.

About a month ago, almost as if part of a coordinated effort, all of a sudden it became fashionable to ridicule outdoor masking, and to act as if the pointlessness of wearing a mask outdoors were some recent discovery. (Naturally, you and I have been saying this from the beginning, though indoor masking also appears to show few results.)

The Times is out with an article showing that the CDC has grossly exaggerated the numbers when it comes to outdoor transmission. The CDC has been saying that less than 10 percent occurs outdoors, but the Times says this is like saying that sharks kill fewer than 20,000 swimmers per year, when the exact figure is about 150.

In fact, even though the unscientific crazies glare at you when you walk by them unmasked, the Times reports that "there is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table."

Before you start thinking maybe the press is becoming reasonable (I know you weren't actually thinking that), Raw Story is out with an article called, "The data is in -- and it's damning: States led by GOP governors had higher COVID-19 death rates in 2020."

In an article like that, I bet you'd expect them to compare the COVID numbers from one group of states with the numbers from another group, for the calendar year 2020.

Nope.

They compared the numbers for a three-month window, which (by what I'm sure was pure coincidence) happened to be a period in which blue states appeared to be doing somewhat better.

In the graph below, the shaded region is the period Raw Story covered for its article on "death rates in 2020":
GJhks3rojhfyGXyVtWC6J1sQxLvoCkLA84wD-DzE23yTIHFs8OzNRwecJnpdG9rh1L1PDZHizQUopHm_WIaGv7PECzZt1qwxD-5KZEK7DxDs_xJ3lQXMT3xlVJ8tq-KoMI73Vyctmd2gbk0FE_8Lg760jc0Ny48=s0-d-e1-ft
Incidentally, for those who despair that things will never change, that masks will be permanent, and all the rest, I repeat: I'm in the Florida panhandle right now. No-masks are the norm. Nobody is "social distancing." The whole state isn't like this yet, but more people than not are maskless in every establishment I enter. They've simply moved on, without the catastrophic consequences the hysterics assured us we should expect.

Just an observation. There is a Kaiser vaccine clinic by my son's club field. It has been dead for weeks. This morning it was slammed, full parking lot and long line. Weird that all of a sudden vaccine demand has spiked, I wonder why? ;)

DoD guidance released today.

Effective immediately all MCCS facilities will be obeying this guidance.

• Vaccinated patrons are no longer required to wear a mask – we are not allowed to ask if they are vaccinated
  • Non-vaccinated people should continue to wear masks
  • Employees can continue to wear masks as long as they wish
  • Please do not discuss vaccination status with fellow employees or patrons
  • New employees – we do not need to verify vaccination status
  • Remove all signage requiring face coverings/masks from doors
  • Keep sneeze guards in place
  • Continue sanitizing procedures
  • Continue maintaining 6 feet distance whenever possible
Wow, common sense.

What? You are kidding, right? I'm hearing stories everywhere about how things are opening up again - NYC, etc. - where things were dead a couple of weeks ago. The economy is only good in your "work from home" bubble. Printing money only kicks the can down the road. At some point, widgets need to be produced. Also, cases don't matter - severe cases matter. Hospitalizations with COVID are the lowest since April, 2020. Oh yeah, and how did all those dire predictions go about FL and TX when they opened up?

Just an observation. There is a Kaiser vaccine clinic by my son's club field. It has been dead for weeks. This morning it was slammed, full parking lot and long line. Weird that all of a sudden vaccine demand has spiked, I wonder why? ;)
First weekend of 12-16 year olds. There was a similar bump at 16-18 the first weekend. For some also solves the child care issue (bring family along...if there’s a little one the 12-16 year old can watch them while you sign paperwork). At our private school clinic I’m hearing only 1/3 of eligible families showed. There’s some pressure too for folks sending their kids to summer camp to get it done so kids can be fully Vaxxed before they go.

First weekend of 12-16 year olds. There was a similar bump at 16-18 the first weekend. For some also solves the child care issue (bring family along...if there’s a little one the 12-16 year old can watch them while you sign paperwork). At our private school clinic I’m hearing only 1/3 of eligible families showed. There’s some pressure too for folks sending their kids to summer camp to get it done so kids can be fully Vaxxed before they go.
Extending to kids may also convince some Pfizer is safe plus the Pfizer causes dementia thing that’s been circulated has been pretty thoroughly debunked (plus if it did covid causes it too). The no mask thing if vaccinated might have also persuaded some low info people to go

What? You are kidding, right? I'm hearing stories everywhere about how things are opening up again - NYC, etc. - where things were dead a couple of weeks ago. The economy is only good in your "work from home" bubble. Printing money only kicks the can down the road. At some point, widgets need to be produced. Also, cases don't matter - severe cases matter. Hospitalizations with COVID are the lowest since April, 2020. Oh yeah, and how did all those dire predictions go about FL and TX when they opened up?
Not kidding at all. Masks are the only restriction which doesn’t harm the economy. They should be the absolute last restriction to go. And defintely keep them until cases are low enough that child care worries are not keeping people out of the workforce.

Hound and Osterholm can speak to their own dire predictions.

My prediction was that progress in CA would stall if they opened dining. I also predicted a small foothill as b.1.1.7 spread over the country. I count those as two for two.

Not kidding at all. Masks are the only restriction which doesn’t harm the economy. They should be the absolute last restriction to go. And defintely keep them until cases are low enough that child care worries are not keeping people out of the workforce.

Hound and Osterholm can speak to their own dire predictions.

My prediction was that progress in CA would stall if they opened dining. I also predicted a small foothill as b.1.1.7 spread over the country. I count those as two for two.
California hasn’t stalled particularly in the south. It continued downward trajectory. I concurred with you on the foothill (I thought it would be bigger than it actually was and I think you did too). You also missed the location: you implied fl & tx not mi and ny. Incidentally one place of stubbornness now (despite their mask mandate and flexibly closing indoor dining as cases in counties rise) is or/wa which were supposed to be the best among us.

California hasn’t stalled particularly in the south. It continued downward trajectory. I concurred with you on the foothill (I thought it would be bigger than it actually was and I think you did too). You also missed the location: you implied fl & tx not mi and ny. Incidentally one place of stubbornness now (despite their mask mandate and flexibly closing indoor dining as cases in counties rise) is or/wa which were supposed to be the best among us.
The big thing I missed on the foothill was the degree of rule relaxation in the north.

The actual b.1.1.7 effect was much smaller than I expected.

The big thing I missed on the foothill was the degree of rule relaxation in the north.

The actual b.1.1.7 effect was much smaller than I expected.

it wasn’t just the rules. It was that stricter states had more dry brush to burn but otherwise it was the same with me.

California hasn’t stalled particularly in the south.
San Diego:
No deaths 4 out of the last 7 deaths
Less than 1 person per day average admitted to ICU the last seven days
3 people per day average hospitalized the last seven days

By all means keep restaurants closed...WTF.

It wasn't a stall anyway, it was more of a minimum baseline. Water finding the path of least resistance. Not realistic or possible to get rid of all the cracks.
I hear the Tonight Show is looking for a new Carnac the Magnificent.

Back