2020 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!! EXTENDED TO SPRING '21!!!!

I'm so happy for you Maps. You both got to play sports and so did I. My best friend's son is Sr this year and his sports life is all over. This was going to be his big year as a senior. He worked his ass off so he could be ready but now cant because no sports in Cali. I get no college sports, but the youth being denied is flat out wrong where I come from. BTW, why some of the studs leaving NWSL?

Why is your friend's sport life all over? I ask in all sincerity. My DD is also a Senior and while all of this sucks she continues to train hard and keep focused on her goals. As a member of the c/o 2021 over the years she has been hit hard by the age matrix change, the addition of so many leagues leading down to the watering down of competition, a long-term injury, a late growth spurt, and a pandemic, and through it all she still continues to grind. She's also competes in 3 high school sports and carries a rigorous academic load. While she was so incredibly disappointed to miss out on the spring and summer seasons and all the showcases and tournaments, she recognizes this time has been an unexpected gift. When everything came to a screeching halt she had time for her body to really heal and recover and she took advantage of the extra time to get stronger and catch up on sleep. Now that school has started and high school sports are delayed she continues to look at this time as a gift where she has more time to train and focus on soccer. Would she prefer to be playing games? Of course! There is nothing more she would love to do. As a parent of course I'm disappointed that I may not get to see her play in her last season of club soccer, but I've been able to let that go and let her lead the way. My point of saying all of this is not to toot my DD's horn. It's just to say that as parents it's important that we set our own expectations and disappointments aside and let the kids show us the way (from reading your recent posts it sounds like you're really working hard on doing just that). After the first couple of months of being shut down one of DDs teammates decided not to come back this year - she decided she wants to have fun and enjoy her senior year. Had they not had that time off she may not have had that time to reflect and come to that decision. I guess all I'm saying is that this has been a good time to discover silver linings and it doesn't have to be the end of anything if the kids want it badly enough. And if they don't - that's okay, too.

1) Why is your friend's sport life all over? I ask in all sincerity.
2) She's also competes in 3 high school sports and carries a rigorous academic load.
3) Now that school has started and high school sports are delayed she continues to look at this time as a gift where she has more time to train and focus on soccer.
1) His son is big time QB and just has to play sports in college ((No money in the family to pay for college)) and has some big football schools looking at him before all this happen. He's been working at this since he was 10 with his goal of big time college ball.
2) He's a jock so his classes are not so rigorous as your poor dd.
3) The kid does not see it as a gift. He sees someone stealing his dream and his 18th year of life. The one I valued as most vauable of all my years. Senior year and 18 and you have stay in your house.
Q for you Own Goal: What values do you put on a boys senior year of HS who worked his ass off to play his last year so he can get his full ride in football?

I ask this earnestly - if those schools were looking at him before all of this, why wouldn't they still be looking at him? Aren't most high school senior football players who had college aspirations kind of all in the same boat? I realize it is much tougher for these kids whose sports are recruited through high school play. And I apologize if I sound naive, but if that's his dream why does he have to stop fighting for it? Can't he still train - whether it be with his HS team and/or on his own? (HS teams in my area are training - it may be different in your area). Can't he still communicate with coaches and keep them updated on how hard he's been working during this down time? His football aspirations aren't of any less value than any other kid in the same situation. It sucks for all of them, but in this situation we're all in all we can do is control the controllables and try to find ways around or even through road blocks that come up. It may not be the original path we hoped or planned for, but it may be a different path that leads us to the same destination, or quite possibly a better one. It reminds me of a friend of mine who's daughter had a miserable senior year of club and high school soccer. By the time she graduated she was over soccer. She went to a JC for 2 years and with some encouragement from a former club coach played soccer for the JC and found her love for the game again. After 2 years she transferred to a D1 on a full ride. It's not the path she originally imagined for herself, but it definitely opened up new possibilities and potential for her. Yep this is a sucky time for high school seniors - there's no denying that, but it will be the way they rise to the challenge of the obstacles before them that define the class of 2021.

I ask this earnestly - if those schools were looking at him before all of this, why wouldn't they still be looking at him? Aren't most high school senior football players who had college aspirations kind of all in the same boat? I realize it is much tougher for these kids whose sports are recruited through high school play. And I apologize if I sound naive, but if that's his dream why does he have to stop fighting for it? Can't he still train - whether it be with his HS team and/or on his own? (HS teams in my area are training - it may be different in your area). Can't he still communicate with coaches and keep them updated on how hard he's been working during this down time? His football aspirations aren't of any less value than any other kid in the same situation. It sucks for all of them, but in this situation we're all in all we can do is control the controllables and try to find ways around or even through road blocks that come up. It may not be the original path we hoped or planned for, but it may be a different path that leads us to the same destination, or quite possibly a better one. It reminds me of a friend of mine who's daughter had a miserable senior year of club and high school soccer. By the time she graduated she was over soccer. She went to a JC for 2 years and with some encouragement from a former club coach played soccer for the JC and found her love for the game again. After 2 years she transferred to a D1 on a full ride. It's not the path she originally imagined for herself, but it definitely opened up new possibilities and potential for her. Yep this is a sucky time for high school seniors - there's no denying that, but it will be the way they rise to the challenge of the obstacles before them that define the class of 2021.
Disregard. He tore his ACL and was making a come back. You dont understand and it's waste of time. I understand whats going on here in Cali and it is what it is.

1) His son is big time QB and just has to play sports in college ((No money in the family to pay for college)) and has some big football schools looking at him before all this happen. He's been working at this since he was 10 with his goal of big time college ball.
2) He's a jock so his classes are not so rigorous as your poor dd.
3) The kid does not see it as a gift. He sees someone stealing his dream and his 18th year of life. The one I valued as most vauable of all my years. Senior year and 18 and you have stay in your house.
Q for you Own Goal: What values do you put on a boys senior year of HS who worked his ass off to play his last year so he can get his full ride in football?

The right and wrong perspectives have never been laid out more clearly than in the two posts above.

In one is an image of a female soccer player who has worked hard both academically and athletically, and is taking advantage of the opportunities available in the face of adversity. She has also faced prior adversity - even if it’s only white privilege adversity - and is making the most of a bad situation that impacts all of us. She excels at a lot of things and can adjust. We all know who she is because she is most elite girl soccer players.

In the other post is the image of petulant football player who hasn’t worked hard academically and is wallowing in self-pity because that sense of entitlement he grew up with - thinking he’d be showered with praise, free college offers and maybe even pay for playing in college because he’s “so important” - turned out to be fool’s gold. We also all know this person because he’s Uncle Rico, we’ve heard Springsteen’s Glory Days, and we’ve also rolled our eyes when they placed zero value on the free education they receive and demand to be paid cash money to play college football - and not attend those annoying classes.

The right and wrong perspectives have never been laid out more clearly than in the two posts above.

In one is an image of a female soccer player who has worked hard both academically and athletically, and is taking advantage of the opportunities available in the face of adversity. She has also faced prior adversity - even if it’s only white privilege adversity - and is making the most of a bad situation that impacts all of us. She excels at a lot of things and can adjust. We all know who she is because she is most elite girl soccer players.

In the other post is the image of petulant football player who hasn’t worked hard academically and is wallowing in self-pity because that sense of entitlement he grew up with - thinking he’d be showered with praise, free college offers and maybe even pay for playing in college because he’s “so important” - turned out to be fool’s gold. We also all know this person because he’s Uncle Rico, we’ve heard Springsteen’s Glory Days, and we’ve also rolled our eyes when they placed zero value on the free education they receive and demand to be paid cash money to play college football - and not attend those annoying classes.
Perceptions wrong EOTL. You have been right on only two things: 1, the failure of the GDA. 2. The importance of HS School sports. I can't speak about Own Goals dd and she sounds like a great kid. The QB, you have so wrong it's not worth digging deeper and sharing his inspirational story of over coming so many challenges. Challenges you seemed last week to be a champion of but now your judging like you always do. I can;t and won;'t share his true story of coming back with ACL ((mom died when he was young but that's not that big of a deal to over come)). He also________________________________________________________________________________________-. So you go_____________________________________________where the ______________________________________________________________live. Enjoy!!!

Perceptions wrong EOTL. You have been right on only two things: 1, the failure of the GDA. 2. The importance of HS School sports. I can't speak about Own Goals dd and she sounds like a great kid. The QB, you have so wrong it's not worth digging deeper and sharing his inspirational story of over coming so many challenges. Challenges you seemed last week to be a champion of but now your judging like you always do. I can;t and won;'t share his true story of coming back with ACL ((mom died when he was young but that's not that big of a deal to over come)). He also________________________________________________________________________________________-. So you go_____________________________________________where the ______________________________________________________________live. Enjoy!!!

I specifically said it’s the image you are painting, not necessarily his reality. You are the one with the piss poor attitude. I actually kinda doubt he believes someone “stole his dream and his 18th year of life.” I think your description of him is 99% hyperbole and, believe me, I know hyperbole.

I don't believe all the stats, news, CDC, John Hopkins,Facebook, message boards etc... I have first hand knowledge, meaning i saw the death certificates of three people where the death certificate said the cause of death was Covid-9. I know these people personally and know for a fact that these particular people did not die of Covid-19. There's at least the possibility that the death rate could be significantly lower than what we are being led to believe. Yes, this virus is seems very contagious and yes it is very deadly to the older population but statistically it is not very deadly to high level young athletes that may be in the best physical condition of there lives. stacked up against the flu for this age group it is less deadly from what i have read. But remember i don't believe most of what i hear. 3 members of my household have had Covid-19 and all have now been tested and now have the antibodies. One member was asymptomatic, one lost taste for 3 days and one had a mild fever/flu like symptoms for 3 days. So yes i think we need to live our lives albeit a little more cautiously, wearing a masks and social distance as much as possible until we have anti virals and/or a vaccine. That being said, I would have had no problem with my daughter playing if the Pac-12 had they not canceled the season even if she did not have the antibodies. However, now that over half of the universities have stopped fall sports, move everything to the spring when most likely we will at least have anti virals and a decent chance of a vaccine.

Why aren't we worrying about the things below. A large percentage of the causes of death in this country could be slowed if we stopped smoking and weren't obese.
  • Heart disease: 647,457
  • Cancer: 599,108
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
  • Diabetes: 83,564
  • Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173
Sorry little bit of a rant.

Your family was fortunate. Many people aren't as fortunate as you are. My father in law's best friend of 60 years died of COVID 19 and his wife had to say goodbye via Facetime. I understand if it isn't a big deal to you. It is a big deal to me. You quote a lot of common things that people die of in America but weirdly none of them are communicable diseases other than the flu and pneumonia and those two combined are not even a third of the deaths from COVID so far this year. I know that YOU are bummed that your daughter can't play her first year of college soccer but the reality is that if even one athlete dies or has permanent damage done to them because it was contracted playing sports I bet you anything that their family will change their tune.

This attitude is why this isn't ending anytime soon......

Continued good fortune to you and your family. Remember that you are fortunate and not everybody is.

I guess I am not the only one that sadly thought of Springsteen's song "Glory Days". I sincerely hope life gets better for you. and this kid.

I guess I am not the only one that sadly thought of Springsteen's song "Glory Days". I sincerely hope life gets better for you. and this kid.
I love that song and my sports days were super fun. I also have fun times when I got married. I was trying to say that my fun years ((youth)) was my teens. I would love to go back to those days and talk to myself better but I can't. My life is the best it's ever been and I mean that. The kid is find and is not depressed. he's sad and bummed but will be just find. It just sucks. You and EOTL have me all wrong.

1597871469808.png

I love that song and my sports days were super fun. I also have fun times when I got married. I was trying to say that my fun years ((youth)) was my teens. I would love to go back to those days and talk to myself better but I can't. My life is the best it's ever been and I mean that. The kid is find and is not depressed. he's sad and bummed but will be just find. It just sucks. You and EOTL have me all wrong.

View attachment 8696

If your best days are behind you, there’s always living vicariously through your child. Oh wait, you already know that.

If your best days are behind you, there’s always living vicariously through your child. Oh wait, you already know that.
My dd is Eagle dude and flies solo. She's out flying right now and will get her chance to do what she pleases in life. Your perceptions are so wrong. People who were all about the money told her college or no more soccer. That was wrong and will be dealt with accordingly. Times are going to change and it will be for the better. Maybe Pro soccer in Europe in 2022?

Lets take this to off topic and keep this d1 soccer talk.

Any other conferences going to cancel? SEC, ACC, Big 12?

After the UNC and ND clusterf**ks, they should postpone and bolster the chances of a real season in spring. The current six game season plan is pointless anyway and a waste of eligibility. The ACC (and SEC and Big 12) is only moving forward with soccer because canceling everything but football is bad gender equity optics. It’s unfair to only kill football players and their coaching staff, right? They are screwing over the female athletes by giving them a little somethin’ somethin’ in the name of equality, when the reality is they’re giving them something worse than nothing in order to salvage football.

The irony is that if there was ever a college demographic that is most likely to do what they should to reduce the risk of transmission, it’s probably women’s soccer players. The least likely, of course, are frat bros followed closely by football players.

My dd is Eagle dude and flies solo. She's out flying right now and will get her chance to do what she pleases in life. Your perceptions are so wrong. People who were all about the money told her college or no more soccer. That was wrong and will be dealt with accordingly. Times are going to change and it will be for the better. Maybe Pro soccer in Europe in 2022?

Did you just deny that you’re living vicariously through your child and discuss how she’s going to go straight pro after high school IN THE SAME POST?

And for the record, I have only been wrong once here ever, which is what would happen in the WNT lawsuit. But I am confident the 9th Circuit will eventually restore my record to 100%.

Did you just deny that you’re living vicariously through your child and discuss how she’s going to go straight pro after high school IN THE SAME POST?

And for the record, I have only been wrong once here ever, which is what would happen in the WNT lawsuit. But I am confident the 9th Circuit will eventually restore my record to 100%.
Why do you think this is about me and not the mistreatment of female soccer players over the years? Europe is handing the virus better and I hear their paying top goats some good money to play. Are you doubting the ability of my dd to go play pro over seas? I hear for a reason and so are you.

I don't believe all the stats, news, CDC, John Hopkins,Facebook, message boards etc... I have first hand knowledge, meaning i saw the death certificates of three people where the death certificate said the cause of death was Covid-9. I know these people personally and know for a fact that these particular people did not die of Covid-19. There's at least the possibility that the death rate could be significantly lower than what we are being led to believe. Yes, this virus is seems very contagious and yes it is very deadly to the older population but statistically it is not very deadly to high level young athletes that may be in the best physical condition of there lives. stacked up against the flu for this age group it is less deadly from what i have read. But remember i don't believe most of what i hear. 3 members of my household have had Covid-19 and all have now been tested and now have the antibodies. One member was asymptomatic, one lost taste for 3 days and one had a mild fever/flu like symptoms for 3 days. So yes i think we need to live our lives albeit a little more cautiously, wearing a masks and social distance as much as possible until we have anti virals and/or a vaccine. That being said, I would have had no problem with my daughter playing if the Pac-12 had they not canceled the season even if she did not have the antibodies. However, now that over half of the universities have stopped fall sports, move everything to the spring when most likely we will at least have anti virals and a decent chance of a vaccine.

Why aren't we worrying about the things below. A large percentage of the causes of death in this country could be slowed if we stopped smoking and weren't obese.
  • Heart disease: 647,457
  • Cancer: 599,108
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
  • Diabetes: 83,564
  • Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173
Sorry little bit of a rant.
Sorry for your loss of your friends.

QAnon has arrived.

People die of other things, so who cares about another 400,000? That’s a strong argument.

Nobody cares about other forms of death? I could list 100 entities that are focused on those issues. So could you if you’d get past your pity party.

We should believe an anonymous beach bum instead of Johns Hopkins, the CDC, and virtually every single person who know what they’re talking about? Uh, no.
Your have your head in the sand if you think entities don't have an agenda's and yes Johns Hopkins, The CDC, Fox, CNN etc.. all have agendas. And I'm sure nobody would ever work the system and say a death was caused by Covid just to get money from the Government. So you go ahead and listen to whatever sources that you listen to, don't question anything that your being fed and be like every other little lamb.

After the UNC and ND clusterf**ks, they should postpone and bolster the chances of a real season in spring. The current six game season plan is pointless anyway and a waste of eligibility. The ACC (and SEC and Big 12) is only moving forward with soccer because canceling everything but football is bad gender equity optics. It’s unfair to only kill football players and their coaching staff, right? They are screwing over the female athletes by giving them a little somethin’ somethin’ in the name of equality, when the reality is they’re giving them something worse than nothing in order to salvage football.

The irony is that if there was ever a college demographic that is most likely to do what they should to reduce the risk of transmission, it’s probably women’s soccer players. The least likely, of course, are frat bros followed closely by football players.

I agree with you 100% that women's soccer players are for the most part very responsible but as the Orlando Pride found out one 21 year old going to a bar ended their challenge cup. I am actually surprised at how well the NBA has managed if but in their case you are only talking about isolating 300 players plus the staff and coaches and they lose pay if they leave the bubble or have to miss a game do to exposure. Individual schools don't have NBA money to throw around...

Good luck to you and your player through this hard time.

Your family was fortunate. Many people aren't as fortunate as you are. My father in law's best friend of 60 years died of COVID 19 and his wife had to say goodbye via Facetime. I understand if it isn't a big deal to you. It is a big deal to me. You quote a lot of common things that people die of in America but weirdly none of them are communicable diseases other than the flu and pneumonia and those two combined are not even a third of the deaths from COVID so far this year. I know that YOU are bummed that your daughter can't play her first year of college soccer but the reality is that if even one athlete dies or has permanent damage done to them because it was contracted playing sports I bet you anything that their family will change their tune.

This attitude is why this isn't ending anytime soon......

Continued good fortune to you and your family. Remember that you are fortunate and not everybody is.
I'm sorry about your father in laws friend and i didn't mean for me to come off like it's not a big deal. I to know people that have had to say goodbye on facetime and also know people that had to go into hospitals for other situations not Covid related and their families and friends could not be there to support them. They expressed how helpless they felt and although i haven't been in that situation yet, i can at least understand how difficult that must have been.. All that i'm trying to say is that in America we should be able to make our own choices with the best available information ( i use that term loosely) to make our decisions. Not have something forced upon us. The reason i brought up those other causes of death is that many of those causes can be prevented by people making better personal choices, by not being obese or smoking. In this country they have the freedom to make those poor choices. One of the people that i know that passed did not take precautions even though he was at risk. He paid the ultimate price for that, but that was his choice. I wear my mask ever time I'm in public to protect other people from me just in case. Simple things like wearing a mask should be mandated and fined like our seatbelt laws if not followed but don't change our way of life and take our freedoms away because of a horrible virus.
Is my daughter bummed sure and so are we. She would have chosen to play given the opportunity but now that it has been taken away for more than half of schools, lets try to get all them on the same page and get something going in the spring when hopefully we will have anti virals that work at a minimum and possibly vaccines.

I say this all the time to whoever will listen, the answers to most of our problems in this country are more towards the middle, not towards the far left and far right.

Back