WWC 2023

I'm 56 and college is still waiting for me.....lol. I like the attitude. I was talking to a well-known scout, and he said that Europe has caught up and is actually passing the US because the top players in Euro are in a Pro environment by the time their 14/15. No daddy to help out. You just go ball and let the cream rise to the top. Are you now a free bird?
When Benfica ran a camp at PLNU last summer this is what I saw as well. The boys/men's coaches knew exactly what they were looking for. Working with girls/women were new to them so it was interesting watching pro coaches work with the girls. They weren't sure if they should treat girls like boys or differently. (At the time)

By now I'm sure they have how to work with Girls figured out + have a seperate dedicated funnel for girls/women.

I'm 56 and college is still waiting for me.....lol. I like the attitude. I was talking to a well-known scout, and he said that Europe has caught up and is actually passing the US because the top players in Euro are in a Pro environment by the time their 14/15. No daddy to help out. You just go ball and let the cream rise to the top. Are you now a free bird?

yes sir… welcome back the man the myth the legend @Ellejustus the Europeans know how to do it and their proof is in the pudding. In the mean time I’m forced to take other measures to help her develop the mind. 13-15 are very important soccer brain development years. Girls Ecnl does a great job developing individuals that attack and run, she’s all ready good at that. Next few years are all about the mind and making sure she remains a great technical and fast athlete.

Last edited:
This is from an article on yahoo sports about his termination that shows just how delusional US Soccer is. (Crocker is the sporting director)

Next, Crocker will dive into the coaching search. And if his first search at U.S. Soccer is any indication, it will be a thorough one. After rehiring Gregg Berhalter as U.S. men’s national team boss in June, Crocker and the federation boasted about “multifaceted evaluation mechanisms” and “cutting-edge hiring methods” within a “rigorous process.”

What a load of crap.

This is from an article on yahoo sports about his termination that shows just how delusional US Soccer is. (Crocker is the sporting director)

Next, Crocker will dive into the coaching search. And if his first search at U.S. Soccer is any indication, it will be a thorough one. After rehiring Gregg Berhalter as U.S. men’s national team boss in June, Crocker and the federation boasted about “multifaceted evaluation mechanisms” and “cutting-edge hiring methods” within a “rigorous process.”

What a load of crap.
Honestly I thought VA was a "safe" hire. At the time with the lawsuit and all the tension and the winning record they let the players pick the coach. They picked VA. They were giving them everything they wanted at that time. Now.. things have changed. World has caught up and it will be a fight to get back to the top and honestly I am not sure any coach will get them there. The systems and infrastructure that exists in Europe vs our pay to play debacle I think the party is over. Think we will not be competitive for the next couple cycles until the US youth soccer system gets reformed.

yes sir… welcome back the man the myth the legend @Ellejustus the Europeans know how to do it and their proof is in the pudding. In the mean time I’m forced to take other measures to help her develop the mind. 13-15 are very important soccer brain development years. Girls Ecnl does a great job developing individuals that attack and run, she’s all ready good at that. Next few years are all about the mind and making sure she remains a great technical and fast athlete.
Welcome back to you as well Luis. I gave my dd a "smart phone" when she was 12. Big dumb on my part as dad. 13-15 are very important ages for a child's mind Luis and what we feed the mind. I know a dad that sent his son to Europe when he was 15. His boy came back a few years later and had to join AA before he turned 21. Best of luck to your dd.

My point is that poor kids aren't being excluded from playing soccer.

Are poor kids with equivalent talent as paying players being excluded in high level soccer? Probabaly

Are poor kids with extreme natural talent more so than paying players being excluded? No

The problem with any sport at a high level is that it's expensive.

I guess I dislike when I hear that poor kids are being excluded from playing sports. At least in Socal this is not the case. There's plenty of options.

If you want to talk about high level competitive soccer that's a different thing.

I don't think they are intentionally being excluded. Proximity to viable options is definitely creating a large barrier for those in the lower economic bracket. Those kids simply do not have the same access to transportation/commuting resources as most. The leagues should definitely consider ways to expand access through the location/placement of expansion clubs.

What a load of crap.

Well, the good news is that the new coach will be a nonbinary, black female with Native American heritage, a prothesis of some sort, less than 20/20 vision, scored under 750 on the SAT, had her birth certificate changed to "No Sex" last year and goes by the name of 16J*9$.

I don't think they are intentionally being excluded. Proximity to viable options is definitely creating a large barrier for those in the lower economic bracket. Those kids simply do not have the same access to transportation/commuting resources as most. The leagues should definitely consider ways to expand access through the location/placement of expansion clubs.
100% Code. My neighbor has two kids. Wife stays home and he makes a little over $100K a year. His dd has serious soccer skills for 9-year-old. She still plays AYSO but she is getting recruited by the top OC Clubs. I told him to prepare to spend 10% of that income towards soccer in a few years when the traveling starts. If you make $50,000 a year combine, then you need to cough up 20% of your gross or hope your dd is the best and will be offered full ride and free rides to practice and free travel. A rich family will be able to adopt the poor player so to speak. I told everyone on here back in 2018 that when the GDA took over youth soccer because, "The World is Watching" that we were in big trouble and that the league would fail. The dumbest GDA rule was that every soccer player on a GDA roster was guaranteed 25% starts. WTF is all that about? The other stupid rule was "No High School Soccer" (thta was the rule until daddy got a waiver for his dd and other dd that went to Private School). Plus add the 4 days a week + privates + Showcases + Travel + more Travel + get excellent grades for 12 months is asking a lot of extras outside the pitch on the futbol player. In Europe, the girls are not hit hard with Math and Biology. In America, rich parents buy clubs, get on boards and also negotiate guarantee play time for being a paying customer and volunteer. 25% starts just because your parents wrote a big fat check and bought golf balls at a fundraiser should not buy your kid play time. That is not how cream rises to the top and it does not produce ganas. We MUST get daddy out of youth soccer. Lastly, California needs to set up a Super CAL League with Two Super Divisions. The Northern Division and The Southern Division. People will be moving back to California to have their dd play on one of the top super teams and our goats will not be traveling across the country to beat up on a team from Kentucky.

Well, the good news is that the new coach will be a nonbinary, black female with Native American heritage, a prothesis of some sort, less than 20/20 vision, scored under 750 on the SAT, had her birth certificate changed to "No Sex" last year and goes by the name of 16J*9$.
Nah, that would take too much effort. it's just going to be a relative of an executive at US Soccer.

WTF kind of word salad is “multifaceted evaluation mechanisms”? It sounds like something an Org Behavior professor would makeup for an article to satisfy his publishing requirement at an "elite" research university.

Welcome back to you as well Luis. I gave my dd a "smart phone" when she was 12. Big dumb on my part as dad. 13-15 are very important ages for a child's mind Luis and what we feed the mind. I know a dad that sent his son to Europe when he was 15. His boy came back a few years later and had to join AA before he turned 21. Best of luck to your dd.

I'm already seeing the hate mail in my inbox from die hard girls ECNL supporters. I have nothing against the girls ECNL program. It's not a good fit for my DD that's it. We are on a different path. We chose to follow the path of the great Goats that have all turned pro before the age of 18... Everyone to their own.

Nah, that would take too much effort. it's just going to be a relative of an executive at US Soccer.

WTF kind of word salad is “multifaceted evaluation mechanisms”? It sounds like something an Org Behavior professor would makeup for an article to satisfy his publishing requirement at an "elite" research university.
Should go along the lines of,
  • Q. Is Wiegman available? (contracted through 2025)
  • Q. What would she want to jump early?
  • Q. What would the English FA want to buy her out?
  • Q. Can we afford her?
  • Q. Can we not afford her?

Should go along the lines of,
  • Q. Is Wiegman available? (contracted through 2025)
  • Q. What would she want to jump early?
  • Q. What would the English FA want to buy her out?
  • Q. Can we afford her?
  • Q. Can we not afford her?
No idea what she'd be like as a coach but I like Carli Lloyds direct honest comments about the USWNT recently.

Using her 15 minutes of fame during the World Cup to call out what everyone else is seeing shows that she has a passion for the team + winning.

She didn't have to tell the truth + it probably would have been better for her new desk job to go with the flow.

I'm already seeing the hate mail in my inbox from die hard girls ECNL supporters. I have nothing against the girls ECNL program. It's not a good fit for my DD that's it. We are on a different path. We chose to follow the path of the great Goats that have all turned pro before the age of 18... Everyone to their own.
You've become a threat to the Socal ECNL "circle of trust". Welcome to the other side of the fence.

Going for the highest level of Competiton possible independent of whatever entity is trying to control it is the way to go.

With sports over time the highest level of Competition will always win out. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a while to occur.

High risk high reward strategy. College is very much the conservative route. Question every parent needs to ask (since kids are too young to make those types of decisions, as we've discussed in other contexts) is am I gambler and do I want to gamble my kid. Yes, there's stuff they can do to control the outcome: if the kid is high skilled, high IQ, high dedication, high training. Still, as anyone whose encountered an ACL tear can tell you, you can't control for everything. Still, without the dreamers, life would be boring.....

High risk high reward strategy. College is very much the conservative route. Question every parent needs to ask (since kids are too young to make those types of decisions, as we've discussed in other contexts) is am I gambler and do I want to gamble my kid. Yes, there's stuff they can do to control the outcome: if the kid is high skilled, high IQ, high dedication, high training. Still, as anyone whose encountered an ACL tear can tell you, you can't control for everything. Still, without the dreamers, life would be boring.....
One thing we don't talk enough about is passion (aka high dedication) for the sport. With so many options available to American kids, you can have a great soccer player but without passion for the game they will never play at the highest level. Passion helps in any sport, but I think soccer is influenced by it the most, and passion is part of that cultural thing. Passion leads to always having a ball at your foot which leads to an innate touch.

How many coaches have you seen that are passion killing? Too many in our youth system.

If my DD did not have all the qualities mentioned I wouldn't be gambling. If she was just an average ECNL player, I wouldn't be gambling. She has the grades, the dedication, the committment, the work ethic so we are going to gamble. If it does not work out she will have the grades like I did to get a scholarship to a decent University. I got a full ride to USC based on merit. She can do the same if she wants to go to college later.

Get busy living or get busy dying is the Shawshank Way of life. If Andy can find a way to freedom, so can we. My motto is, "Get busy and never stop being busy." ACL is a big problem for the girls that play futbol. Keep the dream alive Grace and never give up on your dreams.

If my DD did not have all the qualities mentioned I wouldn't be gambling. If she was just an average ECNL player, I wouldn't be gambling. She has the grades, the dedication, the committment, the work ethic so we are going to gamble. If it does not work out she will have the grades like I did to get a scholarship to a decent University. I got a full ride to USC based on merit. She can do the same if she wants to go to college later.
1692291416632.png

One thing we don't talk enough about is passion (aka high dedication) for the sport. With so many options available to American kids, you can have a great soccer player but without passion for the game they will never play at the highest level. Passion helps in any sport, but I think soccer is influenced by it the most, and passion is part of that cultural thing. Passion leads to always having a ball at your foot which leads to an innate touch.

How many coaches have you seen that are passion killing? Too many in our youth system.

The other big factor not often talked about is passionate kids actually watch the sport. Having an argument with sockma in the GK thread about if the GK isn't high IQ on distribution, whose fault is it. One way to do it is if you are always watching soccer. But the upper middle class kids are so overscheduled these days, who has time to watch? And the working class kids are having more difficulty getting access because of the streaming services.

No idea what she'd be like as a coach but I like Carli Lloyds direct honest comments about the USWNT recently.

Using her 15 minutes of fame during the World Cup to call out what everyone else is seeing shows that she has a passion for the team + winning.

She didn't have to tell the truth + it probably would have been better for her new desk job to go with the flow.
I'm not a fan of ex players suddenly getting high profile coaching gigs with no coaching experience, esp. at a high level, and when its based on their punditry. A pundit, irrespective of how insightful they are, is not a coach.

In addition, an international manager is a very specialized coaching position. You get the players for very short bursts and must get results (at the highest level) all the time. That's not something you throw a greenhorn into, and passion for the team and winning have zero to do with being effective in the role.

Back