WWC 2023

Here's a good starting point --

First game --
#26 New Zealand 1-0 #12 Norway

Entertaining, clean play throughout. My biggest complaint was with their audio engineer -- the crowd noise was turned up so much that it was difficult to understand what the announcers were saying.

Second game --
#10 Australia 1-0 #22 Ireland

The only goal was a PK, but the game was pretty much all Australia all the way, even without their injured star Sam Kerr.

Things got physical toward the end, which really played into bigger Australia's favor.

#7 Canada 0-0 # 40 Nigeria.

Lots of cards being shown at the end. This must be seen as a moral victory for Nigeria.

#20 Switzerland 2-0 #46 Philippines

Philippines got killed by reviews, losing what would have been the first goal of the game to an offside review and then having a PK called against them after VAR review.

Philippines is sort of like a USA B team --

Reina Bonta is the daughter of CA AG Rob Bonta, himself born in Quezon City, PI.

Last edited:
#6 Spain 3-0 #36 Costa Rica

Middle of the night WCC overload so I slept through most of this game.

I would have expected Spain to score much more in this matchup, but the game was convincingly in their control (at least the parts I witnessed).

#1 USA 3-0 #32 Vietnam

If they had made all those open shots it would have been 12-0 or more.

But....they didn't....

That logic is baffling to me....

Pales in comparison to what Spain did (or didn't do)......

Can't imagine the US is happy with that result.

But....they didn't....

The defense wasn't tested at all, so that's still a complete unknown. The good news, I guess, is that the offense was able to set up many beautiful combinations in front of the opponent's goal, even if the final touch was missing.

10% conversion rate in a game like that seems pretty normal to me. Would be interesting to compare with other similar games in the past.
Lavelle being in sure does make the game more fun to watch!

#11 Japan 5-0 #77 Zambia

Zambia is the lowest-ranked team ever on the WWC, and looked like it. Lots of GK drama at the end. Lots of offside callbacks and slowly drawn-out VAR decisions. I expect there will be even more of this techno-intrusion in the later rounds (and I like getting everything right).

#13 Denmark 1-0 #14 China

I was asleep when this game took place and missed the whole thing.

Watched the highlights this morning --

Last edited:
#1 USA 3-0 #32 Vietnam

If they had made all those open shots it would have been 12-0 or more.

... with many non-starters in the lineup. Sophia Smith will replace Alex Morgan as the goal scoring threat for US and it may happen sooner than later.

But....they didn't....

They looked very choppy to me but several new faces probably contributed a lot to that. Not the typical flow we're used to.

The defense wasn't tested at all, so that's still a complete unknown. The good news, I guess, is that the offense was able to set up many beautiful combinations in front of the opponent's goal, even if the final touch was missing.

They continued lobbing balls into the 6 as if the height advantage was the only way to beat a 5-4-1. Made no sense to me. The overlapping, through balls to the outside were far more effective with Smith and Rodman.

10% conversion rate in a game like that seems pretty normal to me. Would be interesting to compare with other similar games in the past.
Lavelle being in sure does make the game more fun to watch!

Lavelle may not be ready for 90 minutes yet but, to your point, completely changed the U.S. attack.

#3 Sweden 2-1 #54 South Africa

Sloppy defense gave each side a goal; Sweden scored again to win on their 11th corner kick.

Highlights video --

Back