WWC 2023

Someone sees the light....

I've been saying the same thing...

"These systemic problems have left the USWNT “massively short of creative talent,” Hayes wrote. She cited OL Reign and USWNT midfielder Rose Lavelle as one player who has that creativity, though “she’s not always given the platform that a No. 10 would be here in Europe.”
Set the girls free and see them blossom. I know daddy wants their dd to go to college and so does the ECNL and I can appreciate that, I truly do. The top female soccer players in our country had to get Unicorn grades, Unicorn SAT scores, must be a Unicorn human being and basically STFU and do as told from the Club, the Doc and the coach or else. They also had to train 5 days a week and be the best Unicorn soccer player as well. That is a tall order and the stress put on their brains, minds and body is cruel and inhumane. Talk about slaves. We had some nasty PAY-FOR-PLAY requirements for our dds. I see big change Luis. Set the girls free!!!

Someone sees the light....

I've been saying the same thing...

“My feeling is that the U.S. as a nation will have to adapt its expectations around international success in women’s football. It is not that the team are necessarily failing, and it is not just about this team or this coach. For the U.S., there needs to be a bigger conversation about their collegiate system and youth development as well as the NWSL.”

"These systemic problems have left the USWNT “massively short of creative talent,” Hayes wrote. She cited OL Reign and USWNT midfielder Rose Lavelle as one player who has that creativity, though “she’s not always given the platform that a No. 10 would be here in Europe.”
She’s not one of my favorites, but she’s on target.

Last edited:
She’s not one of my favorites, but she’s on target.

she does make a good point about the flaws of the development system. But to shed further light. We also need to understand the differences between European development and the development done in USA. While we have made improvements in making kids more technical. There is too much emphasis on only technique and not on the application of technique towards creating a more tactical player. Why you doing it? Where and how? This short video further explains this concept of the development of the intangibles.

Last edited:
In women's soccer there's a clearly defined path to pro which is marketed and sold to parents. Parents respond by throwing $$$ at everyone along the way to make things happen. In the end you get players that like soccer but don't really love it. Its gotten players to where they are + makes their parents happy. Also with women's soccer parents spend just as much time trying to exclude new players as they do trying to get their kid on the top team.

With Boys/Men's soccer it's much simpler. The best player plays. It's that easy, you don't have all the drama / nonsense. Also because there's a Pro option top talent moves up the ladder as fast as it needs to. This means you don't end up with super teams that stagnate + dominate XYZ league.

Unfortunately there's too much $$$ to be made for those that are ok exploiting players which means nothing is going to change.

Maybe if true women's pro clubs happen in the US that play in leagues not setup like MLS with a true academy program underneath things will change.

You mean a clearly defined path to college, not pro, right? I don't see a clear, defined path to go pro for women in the USA. There is a path, but it's not clear. But the ECNL path to college is clear. NWSL clubs need to take over the girls' side and create academies like MLS academies are doing with boys. Until the USA allows the transfer of youth players from club to other clubs with a financial incentive, then things will start to change, as the financial incentive will now be there to truly develop soccer players, not just recruit workhorses. Until then, pay-to-play wins. Having all the emphasis on continually recruiting the best athletes that can run fast to go fetch the long ball, or the striker that can run fast to get to the box first for the cross from the speedy winger, to get the "results" just to win games so they can come out on top and poach the best players from the other clubs next season... I'm not saying it's wrong to recruit the best athletes, but we want to recruit the best athletes that are true soccer players. Those who have technique and tactical awareness. Those who understand the fundamental principles of when to dribble and when to pass. Those who understand how to play as a team. Those who understand how to protect the ball, how to dribble with technique, and how to move off the ball for the benefit of the team and not the individual. Maybe then, things will change... In the meantime, we as parents are stuck trying to develop the intangibles that European players get from their pro academies. You as a parent need to do this intangible development yourself, as it does not exist in the current club system. Many American pay-to-play club Directors of Coaching & American “Private Trainers” have no clue about these intangibles.
Imagine if Pro Womens Soccer teams were able to offer 100k signing bonuses and 100k per year as a base salary for all players in the league.

When womens soccer becomes popular enough to warrant those type of paychecks everything will flip in the US.

Right now womens top talent has 2 choices. Either you go pro and maybe make 50k per year (on average) or you play in college and get a decent degree along the way. Unfortunately, the numbers just don't make sense yet.

If you could make 300-400k playing pro a couple of years you'd see much more players going this route because you could always use the $$$ to pay for college at a later date.

Imagine if Pro Womens Soccer teams were able to offer 100k signing bonuses and 100k per year as a base salary for all players in the league.

When womens soccer becomes popular enough to warrant those type of paychecks everything will flip in the US.

Right now womens top talent has 2 choices. Either you go pro and maybe make 50k per year (on average) or you play in college and get a decent degree along the way. Unfortunately, the numbers just don't make sense yet.

If you could make 300-400k playing pro a couple of years you'd see much more players going this route because you could always use the $$$ to pay for college at a later date.

I have a dream of this happening one day…29D5D482-1760-4F28-8EB5-FC51AD4093B7.jpeg

You mean a clearly defined path to college, not pro, right? I don't see a clear, defined path to go pro for women in the USA. There is a path, but it's not clear. But the ECNL path to college is clear. NWSL clubs need to take over the girls' side and create academies like MLS academies are doing with boys. Until the USA allows the transfer of youth players from club to other clubs with a financial incentive, then things will start to change, as the financial incentive will now be there to truly develop soccer players, not just recruit workhorses. Until then, pay-to-play wins. Having all the emphasis on continually recruiting the best athletes that can run fast to go fetch the long ball, or the striker that can run fast to get to the box first for the cross from the speedy winger, to get the "results" just to win games so they can come out on top and poach the best players from the other clubs next season... I'm not saying it's wrong to recruit the best athletes, but we want to recruit the best athletes that are true soccer players. Those who have technique and tactical awareness. Those who understand the fundamental principles of when to dribble and when to pass. Those who understand how to play as a team. Those who understand how to protect the ball, how to dribble with technique, and how to move off the ball for the benefit of the team and not the individual. Maybe then, things will change... In the meantime, we as parents are stuck trying to develop the intangibles that European players get from their pro academies. You as a parent need to do this intangible development yourself, as it does not exist in the current club system. Many American pay-to-play club Directors of Coaching & American “Private Trainers” have no clue about these intangibles.

My dd gets more of the technique/dribbling/quick reaction/tactical awareness training from one Toque futsal training session than she did from 10 club soccer practices.

By the way, good luck in Barcelona.

My dd gets more of the technique/dribbling/quick reaction/tactical awareness training from one Toque futsal training session than she did from 10 club soccer practices.

All the girls my DD grew up with, that have and will go onto playing college ball at prominent programs, spent a significant time with futsal.

Could you imagine if the girls got to experience something like this? The financial incentive is there to develop players. That means not only money but also notoriety for the academy, which attracts the most technical athletes. The best train with the best, and they form deep friendships and bonds on the field, which translates to good team chemistry. When this starts to happen on the girls' side, then US soccer's job will be simple because the academies have done their job developing potential professional players that make a good fit for youth national team players.

Could you imagine if the girls got to experience something like this? The financial incentive is there to develop players. That means not only money but also notoriety for the academy, which attracts the most technical athletes. The best train with the best, and they form deep friendships and bonds on the field, which translates to good team chemistry. When this starts to happen on the girls' side, then US soccer's job will be simple because the academies have done their job developing potential professional players that make a good fit for youth national team players.

This is exactly why smaller countries with less players will start dominating women's soccer. The whole academy model is just starting to happen for women. Soon (in the next 15 years) women's academies will be on par with men's programs. Once this happens the USWNT will never win big games.

she does make a good point about the flaws of the development system. But to shed further light. We also need to understand the differences between European development and the development done in USA. While we have made improvements in making kids more technical. There is too much emphasis on only technique and not on the application of technique towards creating a more tactical player. Why you doing it? Where and how? This short video further explains this concept of the development of the intangibles.
Yup, I’ve discussed over the years what development would hopefully look like here, but it still doesn’t seem to resonant to those who can change it.

U.S. Soccer: Three executives join leadership team
usmnt-ussf-logo_P9WzSiw.png

U.S. Soccer announced three additions to its executive leadership.
• Chelle Adams, Chief Financial Officer. Adams, who replaces Pinky Raina, will manage, among other projects, the development of the National Training Center in the Atlanta area. She joined the federation on Tuesday.
• Abe Geiger, Chief Product Officer. Geiger, who will oversee digital platforms and data architecture for talent identification and development, played on various youth national teams and captained Stanford three years (2002-04). He has been with the federation since September.
• Shari Summers, Chief Soccer Growth Officer. Summers, who began work in August on increasing participation and promoting coaching and refereeing programs, attended U.S. youth national camps and also played at Stanford.
U.S. Soccer CEO and Secretary General JT Batson, who also attended Stanford, described the three executives "as bright, thoughtful leaders who are passionate about all that the federation is working to accomplish. This is a pivotal moment for soccer in our country. We have a unique opportunity to grow the game for decades to come, and we’re bringing together an elite team that will help us meet the moment.”

U.S. Soccer: Three executives join leadership team
usmnt-ussf-logo_P9WzSiw.png

U.S. Soccer announced three additions to its executive leadership.
• Chelle Adams, Chief Financial Officer. Adams, who replaces Pinky Raina, will manage, among other projects, the development of the National Training Center in the Atlanta area. She joined the federation on Tuesday.
• Abe Geiger, Chief Product Officer. Geiger, who will oversee digital platforms and data architecture for talent identification and development, played on various youth national teams and captained Stanford three years (2002-04). He has been with the federation since September.
• Shari Summers, Chief Soccer Growth Officer. Summers, who began work in August on increasing participation and promoting coaching and refereeing programs, attended U.S. youth national camps and also played at Stanford.
U.S. Soccer CEO and Secretary General JT Batson, who also attended Stanford, described the three executives "as bright, thoughtful leaders who are passionate about all that the federation is working to accomplish. This is a pivotal moment for soccer in our country. We have a unique opportunity to grow the game for decades to come, and we’re bringing together an elite team that will help us meet the moment.”

Lots of ex Stanford player hires. @crush Isn't Stanford like the Surf of college soccer. They actually attempt to play soccer not boot ball?

Lots of ex Stanford player hires. @crush Isn't Stanford like the Surf of college soccer. They actually attempt to play soccer not boot ball?
I noticed the Stanford connection brother. Coach Paul teaches the game the right way. My dd had the privilege of attending one of his camps as Jr. He had very nice things to say to her. If Stanford was a only a soccer academy, he would have signed her, MOO! My dd was so honored by the kind things he had to say after she led her team to the small-sided championship that day. She got to ball with all the future greats that day and it gave her confidence to keep her dream alive:)

Ask and you shall receive. Welcome to the big leagues women's soccer and the NWSL. 40X as much as the previous deal. Yep, 40X, not double, not 4X. 60 million per year. The WNBA recently signed a 13 million per year.

This means growth for the NWSL. We should see increased payrolls, 6 figures for more stars, livable wages for all players on the roster, more incentive for US based players to stay at home, while also increasing reasons for foreign born athletes to join the NWSL.

Ask and you shall receive. Welcome to the big leagues women's soccer and the NWSL. 40X as much as the previous deal. Yep, 40X, not double, not 4X. 60 million per year. The WNBA recently signed a 13 million per year.

This means growth for the NWSL. We should see increased payrolls, 6 figures for more stars, livable wages for all players on the roster, more incentive for US based players to stay at home, while also increasing reasons for foreign born athletes to join the NWSL.

7E0E971C-9AF1-47B3-A8DA-58666332A5AD.gif

Back