WWC 2023

After DiCicco's U20 won the 2008 U20 WC he submitted a report to the USSF.
He wrote .5 page summary titled "What are the Positives of USA Girls’ and Women’s Soccer:"
He wrote 3.5 page summary titled "What are the areas of USA Girls’ and Women’s Soccer that need to improve:"
The message in the 1990s, 2000's, and today all seem the same. Technique and IQ.
I added a few clips from his report. This may be a final or almost final report.

There is a scouting comment he made I attached too.
Outside of the actual report, he was critical of the fact that the scouting network seemed scout where they lived, didn't have the right "eye" for the future of the game, comments of favoritism of clubs, etc. DOCs today say the same thing, which is expected.

View attachment 17824 View attachment 17819View attachment 17820View attachment 17821View attachment 17822
Does USSF use good referrals from college coaches as DiCiccio mentions? It’s a good short term answer to find players.

Sounds like she is following her dream, good for her. However, how many American families would make that same choice given the opportunity? I.e. this is an element of the cultural issue.
Good question. Depends on what an individual thinks the end result could be. It’s definitely a gamble especially if your passing on a Stanford education.

With the stodgy play of the USA out of the picture, we are seeing some entertaining imaginative games. The only complaint I have is the referees' apparent unwillingness to call fouls that break up good scoring chances. "I don't want to have a big effect on the game"? Not calling those fouls has a big effect on the game.

Spain 2-1 Sweden

England 3-1 Australia

After DiCicco's U20 won the 2008 U20 WC he submitted a report to the USSF.
He wrote .5 page summary titled "What are the Positives of USA Girls’ and Women’s Soccer:"
He wrote 3.5 page summary titled "What are the areas of USA Girls’ and Women’s Soccer that need to improve:"
The message in the 1990s, 2000's, and today all seem the same. Technique and IQ.
I added a few clips from his report. This may be a final or almost final report.

There is a scouting comment he made I attached too.
Outside of the actual report, he was critical of the fact that the scouting network seemed scout where they lived, didn't have the right "eye" for the future of the game, comments of favoritism of clubs, etc. DOCs today say the same thing, which is expected.

View attachment 17824 View attachment 17819View attachment 17820View attachment 17821View attachment 17822
Its amazing that everyone knows what the issues are even all the way back in 2008 but no real changes have been implemented.

What I see is that US Soccer is just corrupt + Pay to Play has clouded everyone's judgement to the point there they dont even understand ethics.

Take coaching recommendations for USWNT. How many of these do you think are sold to the highest bidder? What about coaches that wont make recommendations because they're worried about players meeting other talent + being recruited?

Its amazing that everyone knows what the issues are even all the way back in 2008 but no real changes have been implemented.

What I see is that US Soccer is just corrupt + Pay to Play has clouded everyone's judgement to the point there they dont even understand ethics.

Take coaching recommendations for USWNT. How many of these do you think are sold to the highest bidder? What about coaches that wont make recommendations because they're worried about players meeting other talent + being recruited?

It's never going to change unless the customer changes. Who is the customer? Parents looking to have Sally on a winning team & doing whatever it takes to get Sally into the desired college. Pay to Play clubs will do whatever it takes to please the customer. Equals poor development. Girls end up non tactical and non technical but get in their desired college.

I always think post-game to myself “who won?” and not about the score at all. Do the parent$, club and coach ever make any changes. Nope. We’re all trapped in this “development” system that does not incentivize long term development. It’s all about winning customers to the club. So, the WWC players available naturally were the product of a system that is actually very primitive (like the primitive discussion early on in the thread distracted by the word “woke”). The biggest country in power and money, but we don’t play to realize our full potential.

I sometimes wonder how much negative influence American parents have on development. Nagging coaches, whining during games, calling and emailing DOCs and just otherwise stirring up shit by moving to other clubs. The biggest offenders I've seen typically have the most talented kids.

A Stanford education would be a good value for free, debatable at full price.

I remember an advisor telling us that the typical Stanford cost, after averaging out aide, etc, was $12k per year.

I found that pretty hard to believe but that's what these folks do for a living.

It's never going to change unless the customer changes. Who is the customer? Parents looking to have Sally on a winning team & doing whatever it takes to get Sally into the desired college. Pay to Play clubs will do whatever it takes to please the customer. Equals poor development. Girls end up non tactical and non technical but get in their desired college.
I sometimes wonder how much negative influence American parents have on development. Nagging coaches, whining during games, calling and emailing DOCs and just otherwise stirring up shit by moving to other clubs. The biggest offenders I've seen typically have the most talented kids.
Soccer parents are the absolute worst when it comes the impact on development. It's where all the demands for the wins come from. But in fairness they are just reacting to incentives. The incentives make them vulnerable to the sales pitches and shiny new objects. The incentives come from the way colleges are structured in the US.

The real problem is we have a system that tries to be everything to everyone: a fun recreational activity, a place to win trophies like little league, a system to get college placements, a pathway to develop pros, and an employment system for adults. It's never going to do all those things well. The solution is to separate the development of the pros from everyone else, as has been done on the boys end to a limited extent so far.

I remember an advisor telling us that the typical Stanford cost, after averaging out aide, etc, was $12k per year.

I found that pretty hard to believe but that's what these folks do for a living.
Stanford disagrees --

"$46,777 is the average net price across all students. Your price may differ depending on your family income level."

Stanford disagrees --

"$46,777 is the average net price across all students. Your price may differ depending on your family income level."

Yeah... we definitely have to punish the people that have more money. I'm sure they didn't earn it.

Soccer parents are the absolute worst when it comes the impact on development. It's where all the demands for the wins come from. But in fairness they are just reacting to incentives. The incentives make them vulnerable to the sales pitches and shiny new objects. The incentives come from the way colleges are structured in the US.

The real problem is we have a system that tries to be everything to everyone: a fun recreational activity, a place to win trophies like little league, a system to get college placements, a pathway to develop pros, and an employment system for adults. It's never going to do all those things well. The solution is to separate the development of the pros from everyone else, as has been done on the boys end to a limited extent so far.
I few random thoughts. Club soccer is actually 90%-95% recreational. Cost is irrespective of value. Some, possibly many parents, are expecting a payoff (college, NT, pro) for all those club fees they have paid throughout the years. Clubs exploit, or at least do nothing to dissuade, that opinion. Parents feel that if they're paying for something they are entitled to voice their opinion to coach and/or club. Which I don't entirely disagree with, as long as, it's within reasonable limits and relates to their kid, not the other kids on the team. Coaches cater to the parents of the "best" players at every age level, yet are typically very poor at talent identification (its not that they can't identify the obviously talented kids, but that they exclude the kids that are not flashy, but are smart and effective). My son's first DA team was nearly completely controlled by one parent whose son was and still is an outstanding player. This parent had a big influence on both roster and lineup.

IMO if you want a payoff for your kid's soccer costs, have your kid play futsal until 12 and take all the money your saving, for not having to pay club dues, and put it in your 529 plan. Then when they're 13 shop them to the best teams and get scholarshipped because your kids touch and speed of play will amaze coaches. If soccer workers out, great. If it doesn't will have a bunch of extra money in the 529. (yes, I'm exaggerating to make a point)

If you don't expect a payoff, pay the club dues and enjoy the ride. And enjoy the fact that your kid is not in competitive dance or equestrian sports.

A Stanford education would be a good value for free, debatable at full price.

Any parent that's doing this for a college education with a scholarship is nutz. All the driving, the sacrifice of weekends, the money spent on club, tournament, traveling fees etc for a college scholarship is not worth it. Especially if your kid has the grades already. I was once one of those parents that demanded winning and put their kid on a top ECNL girls team. After experiencing the first year of ECNL and seeing how the older gilrs are playing the game, I came to my senses and pulled her out of ECNL. We as a family are not interested in a college scholarship. My DD wants to go pro at 18 and possibly play in Europe if things go as planned and that is the new goal. Good bye ECNL, UCLA and Stanford... The way women's soccer is growing I'm willing to roll that dice... College can wait.

Last edited:
I few random thoughts. Club soccer is actually 90%-95% recreational. Cost is irrespective of value. Some, possibly many parents, are expecting a payoff (college, NT, pro) for all those club fees they have paid throughout the years. Clubs exploit, or at least do nothing to dissuade, that opinion. Parents feel that if they're paying for something they are entitled to voice their opinion to coach and/or club. Which I don't entirely disagree with, as long as, it's within reasonable limits and relates to their kid, not the other kids on the team. Coaches cater to the parents of the "best" players at every age level, yet are typically very poor at talent identification (its not that they can't identify the obviously talented kids, but that they exclude the kids that are not flashy, but are smart and effective). My son's first DA team was nearly completely controlled by one parent whose son was and still is an outstanding player. This parent had a big influence on both roster and lineup.

IMO if you want a payoff for your kid's soccer costs, have your kid play futsal until 12 and take all the money your saving, for not having to pay club dues, and put it in your 529 plan. Then when they're 13 shop them to the best teams and get scholarshipped because your kids touch and speed of play will amaze coaches. If soccer workers out, great. If it doesn't will have a bunch of extra money in the 529. (yes, I'm exaggerating to make a point)

If you don't expect a payoff, pay the club dues and enjoy the ride. And enjoy the fact that your kid is not in competitive dance or equestrian sports.
Agree but I note this college craziness is true throughout various activities including school ones. You see it in the private school market in Los Angeles. You see it (or saw it) in the craziness surrounding the SATs (see the Loughlin scandal). Activities like film making, debate, academic decathalon, cheerleading, dance team and band aren't immune. Then there's all the fake charities and community service hours the kids do.

Agree but I note this college craziness is true throughout various activities including school ones. You see it in the private school market in Los Angeles. You see it (or saw it) in the craziness surrounding the SATs (see the Loughlin scandal). Activities like film making, debate, academic decathalon, cheerleading, dance team and band aren't immune. Then there's all the fake charities and community service hours the kids do.
It's out of control and a discussion probably better suited for a different thread.

Any parent that's doing this for a college education with a scholarship is nutz. All the driving, the sacrafice of weekends, the money spent on club, tournament, traveling fees etc for a college scholarship is not worth it. Especially if your kid has the grades already. I was once one of those parents that demanded winning and put their kid on a top ECNL girls team. After experiencing the first year of ECNL and seeing how the older gilrs are playing the game, I came to my senses and pulled her out of ECNL. We as a family are not interested in a college scholarship. My DD wants to go pro at 18 and possibly play in Europe if things go as planned and that is the new goal. Good bye ECNL, UCLA and Stanford... The way women's soccer is growing I'm willing to roll that dice... College can wait.
I'm 56 and college is still waiting for me.....lol. I like the attitude. I was talking to a well-known scout, and he said that Europe has caught up and is actually passing the US because the top players in Euro are in a Pro environment by the time their 14/15. No daddy to help out. You just go ball and let the cream rise to the top. Are you now a free bird?

Good, the guy sucks and blows at the same time. The USWNT showing this year was terrible.
Old reliable Megan Rapinoe was obviously underperforming, and current star Alex Morgan (I say "current" because she was the leading scorer in the NWSL last year) played well below her expected ability. If one were into conspiracy theories, one might propose that the players didn't like the coach and underperformed to get back at him. Whether that is true or not, he stuck with older star players who were performing badly rather than making the hard decisions to bench them.

Back