Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Did that. First 39 pages actually. Ok not all 39...every tine I see two pages of back and forth insults my eyes glaze over and I start hitting page forward for a while. There was quite a bit of good info though.
I’m still not clear on what the new NCAA junior year verbal rule means practically. NCAA document makes it look like it includes electronic communication. One poster said that refers the communication FROM the college only. I have lots more questions about it. Prior to 9/1 junior year do I have club coach contact college coach? Does my DD call directly? Email? Can college coach respond or does he/she have to talk through club coach?
MAP stated to start contacts start of freshman year but I’d like to hear what was successful for others as well.
And thoughts on the videos? I was a college athlete. Never sent a video. But I don’t know what the protocol is these days.
If anyone is willing to recap what I might have missed in earlier posts I would be very grateful.

There's definitely much content within this college thread. When you add up all the info...sprinkle in a bit of locker room chatter + good ole' smack talk ...and wallah = Welcome to Socalsoccer.com :)

Communication: Yes....your DD should contact coaches in a clean/concise/targeted email and she should copy her club coach. I don't know the "new" NCAA rules. I do know that there is and will continue to be "workarounds".

When our DD was in the process, once she'd received interest from college programs, she called & spoke with coaches. The rule then, was they couldn't call or email her directly (her freshman year). They did however, call and immediately hangup. DD seeing the missed call, would know that ABC coach wanted to connect and she'd call them.

Video: Don't know, she didn't use them. Others on the forum have, and seem to have had success.

Genetics: You mentioned you were a college athlete. Over the years, I've observed that many of the girls who were recruited/play at the next level, generally had a parent or family who were athletes in college and/or pro. So your DD should consider herself blessed (though she may not realize or act like it now)

Perhaps the biggest tip I can share w/you is for you and your daughter to comprise a plan. Work the plan. Be targeted. Be specific. Be pragmatic. Be realistic (i.e. skill set matches program).

Best of luck to you/your DD ;)

There's definitely much content within this college thread. When you add up all the info...sprinkle in a bit of locker room chatter + good ole' smack talk ...and wallah = Welcome to Socalsoccer.com :)

Communication: Yes....your DD should contact coaches in a clean/concise/targeted email and she should copy her club coach. I don't know the "new" NCAA rules. I do know that there is and will continue to be "workarounds".

When our DD was in the process, once she'd received interest from college programs, she called & spoke with coaches. The rule then, was they couldn't call or email her directly (her freshman year). They did however, call and immediately hangup. DD seeing the missed call, would know that ABC coach wanted to connect and she'd call them.

Video: Don't know, she didn't use them. Others on the forum have, and seem to have had success.

Genetics: You mentioned you were a college athlete. Over the years, I've observed that many of the girls who were recruited/play at the next level, generally had a parent or family who were athletes in college and/or pro. So your DD should consider herself blessed (though she may not realize or act like it now)

Perhaps the biggest tip I can share w/you is for you and your daughter to comprise a plan. Work the plan. Be targeted. Be specific. Be pragmatic. Be realistic (i.e. skill set matches program).

Best of luck to your daughter, ZD.
Knew the first and only time I met you, you're a good egg.

Best of luck to your daughter, ZD.
Knew the first and only time I met you, you're a good egg.

Thx bud..... Right back at-ya. I believe we may see each other once, maybe twice this season as I'm heading to the brown/pep & ucla/pep watering hole & games to meet/greet the rest of the cronies w/kiddos playing in college this season.

You in?

Thank you!!! Very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time.

Thank you!!! Very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time.

No problem. The entire process can be nerve racking. Don't let it. Try and look at it thru the lens of you mentoring, coaching and leading your dd thru and to the best possible outcome, for her future.

Once our dd got over the initial thrill of receiving recruiting interest, she controlled what she could, and didn't worry about what she couldn't. She was transparent with school (A), and let them know that she was meeting with school (B) and (C) from the same conference. That seemed to work, because the school/program that she ultimately chose, wasn't on the radar till they realized she was serious about committing to a school within their conference.

I found that going thru this process with my DD took our relationship to another level. The discussions, time, road trips (unofficial visits), pro's/cons of schools, visits etc.... These experiences/discussions were absolutely priceless, and I will forever be greatful for the opportunity to have shared that with my DD. My hope is when it's all said/done, you feel the same.

Good luck ;)

No problem. The entire process can be nerve racking. Don't let it. Try and look at it thru the lens of you mentoring, coaching and leading your dd thru and to the best possible outcome, for her future.

Once our dd got over the initial thrill of receiving recruiting interest, she controlled what she could, and didn't worry about what she couldn't. She was transparent with school (A), and let them know that she was meeting with school (B) and (C) from the same conference. That seemed to work, because the school/program that she ultimately chose, wasn't on the radar till they realized she was serious about committing to a school within their conference.

I found that going thru this process with my DD took our relationship to another level. The discussions, time, road trips (unofficial visits), pro's/cons of schools, visits etc.... These experiences/discussions were absolutely priceless, and I will forever be greatful for the opportunity to have shared that with my DD. My hope is when it's all said/done, you feel the same.

Good luck ;)

I just want you to put in a good word for me when she is in White House because I might just need an 11th hour pardon...

So tue!

If you look at the meal plan cost it makes sense. But when you look at the food (my daughter got tired of it half way through her Freshman year) and understand that your kid will probably eat off campus a lot the true value is diminished.

Something to ask a potential school:

Does your kid have to be on the meal plan. Some will tell you that all Freshman are on it.

When my daughter was back east for school she found out that Cracker Barrel will give you unlimited biscuits is you order a drink. She would go with her teammates and they would order one of the big $6 dinner salad and a drink each and just sit and talk and eat salad and biscuits for hours. My daughter disliked most of the campus cafeteria food so the required freshman meal plan was a waste of scholarship money. College kids will quickly get tired of the cafeteria food and find cheap food off campus or hit up the Walmart grocery store.

Actually Zero, you are entitled to your opinion, but basically it is my opinion that you're flat out wrong. (Hopefully you didn't neglect proper grammar when you were busy preparing your kids how to pick a college in 6th grade.)

To answer your question....yes, the conversations regarding college attendance when a child is growing up are definitely influential. But you seem to mis-understand the mindset of attending college and being able to adequately and knowledgeably understand the criteria to make the decision on which college to attend. Are you advocating that your 12/13/14 year old daughter understood the pros and cons of a large public university vs. small private institution because you had "discussions in your home with siblings"?

College attendance was never a option for my kids, as evidenced by the 529 accounts set up on their first birthday. College was always a priority, and, over the years, many visits were made to our alma maters, and other colleges for sporting events, plays, and other community events. They grew up in that environment, but that in no way made her ready to pick a school in her freshman year of high school. Maybe my kid is just stupid, but I don't think setting a tone/dream/aspiration makes them able to understand the difference between Stanford and Samford.

Remember, you're the one saying to prepare your child in 6th grade to pick a college. My ill prepared daughter was too busy deciding what to watch between Lizzy McGuire or High School Musical...but that is because I'm a bad parent that "chose to see where the cards would fall". Excuse me if I didn't educate my player when she was 12 on the differences between urban/rural campus, geographical settings, majors offered, cultural considerations, and a plethora of other criteria necessary to make an informed college decision. Her decision to commit in early in her 10th grade year followed an accelerated program of campus visits, lists of pros/cons, and hours of reviews of academic majors offered at each institution. She elected to choose a campus that offered the largest catalog of available majors, so that she would have plenty of options when she was old and wise enough to fine tune her education specialty.

I tend to think that Hank has it right, compared to Zero...

Good luck to you and your player!

This post is the biggest crock of $hit on this forum. @CaliKlines is like the neighbor with the pool and the RV yet are 5 months behind on their mortgage. All fluff and facade with no substance. You went through a thorough process and ended up with North Carolina State? I call bull$hit. I will bet you anything that your player and her “meticulous” process sees less minutes than mine plays in her first game. You act like you know what you are talking about but you are only fooling those of us who don’t know your lies and whining from the old forum. Enjoy your last couple weeks of acting like you know something. I doubt many are going to listen when your kid transfers to MT. SAC community college.

This post is the biggest crock of $hit on this forum. @CaliKlines is like the neighbor with the pool and the RV yet are 5 months behind on their mortgage. All fluff and facade with no substance. You went through a thorough process and ended up with North Carolina State? I call bull$hit. I will bet you anything that your player and her “meticulous” process sees less minutes than mine plays in her first game. You act like you know what you are talking about but you are only fooling those of us who don’t know your lies and whining from the old forum. Enjoy your last couple weeks of acting like you know something. I doubt many are going to listen when your kid transfers to MT. SAC community college.

Well my friend.....I will say his response did give me a chuckle....you know, given the facts and all. But dang...you just went straight up, off the ring top, final goodbye smack down!

Given the history, It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out :rolleyes:

Well my friend.....I will say his response did give me a chuckle....you know, given the facts and all. But dang...you just went straight up, off the ring top, final goodbye smack down!

Given the history, It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out :rolleyes:

It’s my send off present to another ex-Striker parent that never stopped being an over the top advocate for all three sides of the big arguments, depending upon which team his kid currently played for! What I promise is that college is pretty eye opening, especially in a big time conference and “there ain’t no hiding from the film” and what is there or more likely what isn’t there will speak volumes.

Good luck to you and your amazing player!

......I doubt many are going to listen when your kid transfers to MT. SAC community college.

And what is wrong with a junior college? My oldest daughter spent four years at a JC trying to figure out what she wanted to do with her life before moving on to UCLA for her BA and UCSD for her MBA and USC for her DBA. She now has a very successful job. I went to a JC (long time ago) before transferring to UCLA for my BS degree. Mt Sac does provide a good education and base to move to a University.

So, if you wanted to insult him you should have said, "Drops out of college her freshman year to work at the local NC Publix." But then again, you could have just wished his DD good luck in college, since she had no choice in her father. I just don't understand why people come on this forum and bash someone's kid because the parent that posts may be an a-hole or you disagree with their point of view. Go after the person making the a-hole post and not their kid.

I just hope everyone's kids succeed in life.

And what is wrong with a junior college? ... I just don't understand why people come on this forum and bash someone's kid because the parent that posts may be an a-hole or you disagree with their point of view...

Well said!

I can't wait to see if my dd plays at all this year. Doesn't matter though as she probably will receive a good education.

And what is wrong with a junior college? My oldest daughter spent four years at a JC trying to figure out what she wanted to do with her life before moving on to UCLA for her BA and UCSD for her MBA and USC for her DBA. She now has a very successful job. I went to a JC (long time ago) before transferring to UCLA for my BS degree. Mt Sac does provide a good education and base to move to a University.

So, if you wanted to insult him you should have said, "Drops out of college her freshman year to work at the local NC Publix." But then again, you could have just wished his DD good luck in college, since she had no choice in her father. I just don't understand why people come on this forum and bash someone's kid because the parent that posts may be an a-hole or you disagree with their point of view. Go after the person making the a-hole post and not their kid.

I’m glad that everything worked out for you and your daughter regarding going to a JC. I know plenty of people that going to community college was the right thing for them. With that being said it was not directed at you and if you feel that it was then hopefully you now understand. I won’t get into people’s personal choices and situations as my family is different although I also have a degree from the same school as will my daughter in 17 months and our path and experience was much different than yours (we were/are athletes) so try to understand a different perspective than your own.

Regarding me and Cali and what I say. Please stay out of it. This is Hatfield and McCoy $hit and with all due respect you aren’t either so just be a silent observer. I go after whomever, whenever I deem it appropriate. Please just pretend you are the n the corner of Crenshaw and Slauson and keep on moving or simply put me on ignore and you will no longer feel the need to lecture me in how to deal with a lying pansy.

Get it now? Good luck to you and your family.

Back