Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

I will say this. I know the term unicorn is thrown out there. Especially rainbow unicorn.:confused: But, I see players that I would call unicorns but others don’t see these players the same way. I have 40 years in this game as a college and amateur player and have played with ex-national players and pro players. And, have watched with a keen eye. I’m not sure what a unicorn is any more. Or an elite player. Those terms are quite subjective now.

Last edited:
Lastly the only thing that is an indicator of your players value to schools is the size of your players offer and how much (if any) you have to pony up for school. Good luck to you and your player.
MAP or anyone else that might have a general understanding: what is a reasonable expectation for Division 1 Women's soccer scholarships with regard to amount? Is it a full scholarship for a couple of players at each school and then approximately 50% for the rest of the team? Is it between 50% and 100% for the top ten players and then between 0 and 50% for the rest to fight over? I guess I understand that full scholarships are relatively rare, but I don't really have a good feel for what the most popular scholarship percentage is for the run of the mill excellent players that aren't really unicorns.

Please continue to share! Don't let the bitter people outweigh those of use who are interested in hearing about all parts of this process. Those of you calling it bragging are showing yourselves to be quite envious.

Also, anyone who really thought anything changed with those new recruiting rules is naive.
Trust me - neither bitter nor envious - everyone has their own path for recruiting and there are many ways for your DD to achieve that dream. The post just came across as look at me and how cool I am and how much money I am spending - - if you post something on a public forum people you have to be prepared for reactions from others no matter what your intentions are (such as calling me bitter and envious which is funny to me). And, I agree,not much has really changed with the new recruiting rules.

MAP or anyone else that might have a general understanding: what is a reasonable expectation for Division 1 Women's soccer scholarships with regard to amount? Is it a full scholarship for a couple of players at each school and then approximately 50% for the rest of the team? Is it between 50% and 100% for the top ten players and then between 0 and 50% for the rest to fight over? I guess I understand that full scholarships are relatively rare, but I don't really have a good feel for what the most popular scholarship percentage is for the run of the mill excellent players that aren't really unicorns.
From some of my experience so far it seems a couple NT players with full scholarships and much reduced % for others - many with a combination of financial need and academic scholarships and then many with $0.

Thank you for the info. I wonder if there is a loophole somewhere in there if they wanted to sponsor the camp? Like maybe just invite them and have them train in a “separate” group from the camp??? Just wondering, no judgement.

One loophole is that the coaches cannot make any concrete offers during the camp. However, after the camp is ok. "After" can be as soon as in the car driving home, or in a friend's apartment taking a shower before driving home.

Also, anyone who really thought anything changed with those new recruiting rules is naive.
Can you please explain further. Are coaches just ignoring the new rules or are there loopholes in it?
I thought it was clear based on posts on this forum that offers could not be made until Junior year?

From my understanding it says nothing about making offers - they just can't meet with you on campus until Junior year - you can still call on phone and talk with coach that way - the changes are a bit silly in practicality

It is difficult to generalize. While I agree a very high % offer reflects a strong interest in a player, each school and coach have unique strategies, and they also have varying amounts of $ available each year depending on current roster commitments. Some take into account financial need and adjust accordingly. The math says on average you get around 50%. But the reality is you may get an offer that is less first year, and more in later years.

On the other side of the spectrum, an offer without scholarship is really just an option for the coach, and a nice assist in admission for your child. If your kid likes the school and you are fortunate to be able to afford it, then even that scenario is a success story, in my book. A good in-state school with no money may cost less than a private with a 50% or less scholarship.

What I would emphasize is to make sure you do not give any coach the impression your level of interest is based size of the offer, though you can make it clear the level of assistance might impact your ability to attend.

Like others have said it varies. On a team with 28 players at a school that fully funds women’s soccer you have 14 scholarships which works out to an average of half. Although, as stated by others you will have some players get a lot of money up to and including a full ride and some that just get book money or no money. Players can also get more money later as it becomes available. My guideline is that if you are spending what you spent per year for club or less you are doing really well. Although quite honestly I was willing to spend $17k a year if my player had decided to attend Stanford. I know a good deal when I see it.

oh please - No one cares which schools you are visiting. If you have questions or getting feedback cool but no one is impressed with your attempt at braggin......Also, schools will pay or your visit after you are age eligible for official visits and if they really really want you - you can have more than one official visit.

Dude, be nice. We are all proud of what our kids have accomplished and all have the right to brag a little.

Like others have said it varies. On a team with 28 players at a school that fully funds women’s soccer you have 14 scholarships which works out to an average of half. Although, as stated by others you will have some players get a lot of money up to and including a full ride and some that just get book money or no money. Players can also get more money later as it becomes available. My guideline is that if you are spending what you spent per year for club or less you are doing really well. Although quite honestly I was willing to spend $17k a year if my player had decided to attend Stanford. I know a good deal when I see it.
It’s like a floating hard wood floor. One or two years some money. Years 3-4 it opens up. Good to know.

Can you please explain further. Are coaches just ignoring the new rules or are there loopholes in it?
I thought it was clear based on posts on this forum that offers could not be made until Junior year?

Here is the "NCAA Official" document on dates:
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18DIREC_DIOtherSportsRecruitingGuide_20171205.pdf

An NCAA D1 coach cannot "recruit" a soccer player until 9/1 of Junior Year. The term recruit means, coach contacts player. Players are free to contact coaches (on their own) and promote themselves beginning at birth.

An NCAA D1 coach cannot pay for a discount a camp for a prospect, so just ignore the poster that claimed that gem. The NCAA allows a recruit to make only five visits to Division I schools. Official visits to DII and DIII schools are unlimited. The school is limited is what it can pay for, with transportation to and from the campus, lodging throughout the visit, three meals per day and three tickets to a home sports event. Only the athlete and their parent/guardian are covered. Siblings pay their own way.

With regard to what and how much gets paid for, you can make a few assumptions. First, the more the schools covers, the higher up the athlete is on the list. Second, all the money used to pay for official visits comes out of the schools budget and some schools have small budgets and cannot afford to pay too much, even for kids at the top of the list, so appreciate that just because the official visit isn't fully covered may simply mean the school doesn't have the funds in their budget, but really, really wants the kid.

I was talking to my sister over the weekend and though she played a different sport I thought this was worth sharing.

She is currently coaching for a National team that was competing over the weekend. One of the players who attends her alma mater shared with her that her scholarship is being reduced by 30% next year. Not sure if they are trying to move her to a split academic/athletic scholarship but if they can do it to this young lady it can happenn to anyone.

I was talking to my sister over the weekend and though she played a different sport I thought this was worth sharing.

She is currently coaching for a National team that was competing over the weekend. One of the players who attends her alma mater shared with her that her scholarship is being reduced by 30% next year. Not sure if they are trying to move her to a split academic/athletic scholarship but if they can do it to this young lady it can happenn to anyone.

Not in the PAC 12 or BIG Ten as long as they were a 2016 recruit or later.

When a college sets its scholarship budget and they have 14 scholarships for D1 or 9.9 for D2 do they base their budget on in-state tuition? Or are they allowed to have a bigger budget if some of their recruits are from out of state?

When a college sets its scholarship budget and they have 14 scholarships for D1 or 9.9 for D2 do they base their budget on in-state tuition? Or are they allowed to have a bigger budget if some of their recruits are from out of state?

It depends on what the college lets them do. The whole "cost" of a scholarship just accounting magic anyway.

Yep. In my experience, and within the limitations of the number of scholarships, it's all just smoke and mirrors. Whatever they need to happen, happens. What's more, there is a lot more academic money and it is more flexible money (for both parties)...if the player has the grades. That way, they can save some of the scholarship money for those whose grades aren't quite what they could be.

Another question. How is room and board handled for the time athletes report for the start of the training until school starts? If you have a percent offer does it cover this cost?

Back