Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Sitting at my sons practice yesterday I overheard a coach talking to one of his players.

He asked her if she got into high level D1 school but did not play would she be happy? That maybe she should be looking at mid level D1 or D2-NAIA schools where she would probably be playing more. I wish the coach would have asked her if she knew what she wanted to major in. If she did then to narrow her seatch to the schools that offered her major regardless of division.

Too many kids choose a school because of the soccer program or maybe the parents are pushing for that D1 school that will allow them to drive around with University XYZ decal.

Except she chokes in big games and has yet to stop game winning goals in the last two NCAA finals. Go ahead, book that loss to Cary. I am looking forward to watching it.
Damn, you must be an unhappy person to post something so negative first thing in the morning.

You should buy yourself a cheap set of golf clubs and pounds some range balls. It shoud do the trick to work off your frustrations. Lmao!

Damn, you must be an unhappy person to post something so negative first thing in the morning.

You should buy yourself a cheap set of golf clubs and pounds some range balls. It shoud do the trick to work off your frustrations. Lmao!

You might think it is negative, but all of us who watched the games know what he means.

Sitting at my sons practice yesterday I overheard a coach talking to one of his players.

He asked her if she got into high level D1 school but did not play would she be happy? That maybe she should be looking at mid level D1 or D2-NAIA schools where she would probably be playing more. I wish the coach would have asked her if she knew what she wanted to major in. If she did then to narrow her seatch to the schools that offered her major regardless of division.

Too many kids choose a school because of the soccer program or maybe the parents are pushing for that D1 school that will allow them to drive around with University XYZ decal.
It’s not about playing D1 soccer. It just happens there are far more outstanding academic universities at the D1 level than say, D2 or NAIA. D3 has a lot of elite schools, but they don’t bend much on their academic requirements and many club players don’t sport a GPA over 4.30.

You might think it is negative, but all of us who watched the games know what he means.
If you don’t think that is negative then I can’t help you. Push Up has been posting negative shit for a couple years now!

Last edited:
It’s not about playing D1 soccer. It just happens there are far more outstanding academic universities at the D1 level than say, D2 or NAIA. D3 has a lot of elite schools, but they don’t bend much on their academic requirements and many club players don’t sport a GPA over 4.30.
My post was my attempt to bring the thread back to the subject. But you are correct in that the academic requirements are stiff at many of the non D1 schools. I believe the year my daughter started her school they had an acceptance rate of 23%.

As far there being far more outstanding academic universities at the D1 level? I would say that there are far more prestigious/well known D1 schools mainly because we watch them on TV and are familiar with not only the school but it's teams, players, coaches and even their mascots.

.....I wish the coach would have asked her if she knew what she wanted to major in.....

Maybe girls are different, but almost all boys (probably >90%) don't know what to major in.

Take my kid now in college. He was admitted as a physics major and changed to economics. I don't think playing soccer at his college had nothing to do with changing majors. It had more to do with finding out what the curriculum is actually like as well as coming into his own during the first year (growing up a bit). In other words, being there helps make up their minds.

When we started the whole thing looking to be recruited, we never cared about what division the school was. The only criteria was how good is the school and does it have something that interested/appealed to my kid outside of soccer.

The hardest part, as I've mentioned in the past posts, is matching the educational desires with realistic chance of being successful at the school (education), AND get recruited by the coach from that school. This way, if soccer doesn't workout or get recruited, more important part does workout - formal education.

We turned down several offers from schools we never considered and chased after the schools we had serious interests in. While I don't know how it will all workout in the end, so far so good. The kid reports for preseason next week and off we go to the second year....

Meanwhile, our youngest will be a junior in HS and he has no desire to play soccer in college (even though having gone through this once, I know he can play somewhere...) so he's search will be easier but I would never characterize it as simpler. He doesn't know what to study and won't have soccer to ground him during the 1st year, so we'll have to work much harder and focus on schools that do not require major declaration to be admitted (where you declare by the end of 1st or 2nd year - mostly liberal arts private schools) and keep him focused.

Maybe girls are different, but almost all boys (probably >90%) don't know what to major in.

Take my kid now in college. He was admitted as a physics major and changed to economics. I don't think playing soccer at his college had nothing to do with changing majors. It had more to do with finding out what the curriculum is actually like as well as coming into his own during the first year (growing up a bit). In other words, being there helps make up their minds.

When we started the whole thing looking to be recruited, we never cared about what division the school was. The only criteria was how good is the school and does it have something that interested/appealed to my kid outside of soccer.

The hardest part, as I've mentioned in the past posts, is matching the educational desires with realistic chance of being successful at the school (education), AND get recruited by the coach from that school. This way, if soccer doesn't workout or get recruited, more important part does workout - formal education.

We turned down several offers from schools we never considered and chased after the schools we had serious interests in. While I don't know how it will all workout in the end, so far so good. The kid reports for preseason next week and off we go to the second year....

Meanwhile, our youngest will be a junior in HS and he has no desire to play soccer in college (even though having gone through this once, I know he can play somewhere...) so he's search will be easier but I would never characterize it as simpler. He doesn't know what to study and won't have soccer to ground him during the 1st year, so we'll have to work much harder and focus on schools that do not require major declaration to be admitted (where you declare by the end of 1st or 2nd year - mostly liberal arts private schools) and keep him focused.
So true on the girls v boys. Maybe it's a maturity thing..

My post was my attempt to bring the thread back to the subject. But you are correct in that the academic requirements are stiff at many of the non D1 schools. I believe the year my daughter started her school they had an acceptance rate of 23%.

As far there being far more outstanding academic universities at the D1 level? I would say that there are far more prestigious/well known D1 schools mainly because we watch them on TV and are familiar with not only the school but it's teams, players, coaches and even their mascots.

I would say there are just as many elite academic universities at the D3 level that can rival the elite academic universities at the D1 level (education wise) than D2 or NAIA. The only D2 that comes to mind as an elite academic university in SoCal is UCSD and they are going D1 by 2021. The other D2’s that come to mind are Dominguez Hills, Cal State LA, Azusa Pacific....not exactly difficult universities to gain admissions to. NAIA in SoCal to name a couple consists of Soka University and Concordia University. Where as D3 consists of Claremont Colleges, Occidental, Cal-Tech which their education rivals or surpasses the levels at USC, UCLA, UCI, UCSB, Pepperdine and alike.

Last edited:
I would say there are just as many elite academic universities at the D3 level than D2 or NAIA. The only D2 that comes to mind as an elite academic university in SoCal is UCSD and they are going D1 by 2021. The other D2’s that come to mind is Dominguez Hills, Cal State LA, Azusa Pacific....not exactly your top 100 academic universities that’s for sure. NAIA in SoCal consists Soka University and Concordia to name a couple. Where as D3 consists of Claremont Colleges, Occidental, Cal-Tech which their education rivals or surpasses the levels at USC, UCLA, UCI, UCSB and alike.
There are more NAIA's in So Cal then that but that's not my point. I'm talking about on a national level, the D1's have name recognition that very few schools can match but on an academic level they are on par with the D1's.

Ping G400 LST 8.5 degrees-Handcrafted Evenflow Black Shaft
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 degree-Evenflow Blue shaft
Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue shaft
Mizuno MP 18s FliHi 4-6 iron
Mizuno MP 18s MMC 7-PW irons
Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
Titleist Vokey SM6 58* K Grind
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Mil-Spec 34 inch 340 gram putter
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Detour Mod with copper insert, 34 inch 350 gram putter
Titleist yellow AVX ball

Holy heck Batman!!

Holy heck Batman!!
Do you have a bag to do those clubs justice?
c19295ae35992aaf3dedf629fc3e3911.jpg

There are more NAIA's in So Cal then that but that's not my point. I'm talking about on a national level, the D1's have name recognition that very few schools can match but on an academic level they are on par with the D1's.
Can you provide an elite NAIA academic university? I can easily name a few D3 elite universities outside SoCal such as Tufts, Carnegie Mellon, and NYU.

Back