New USWNT head coach

Yes, it was an uphill battle, like any beginning. 5/70 is 13 clubs per person. That's tough but I think 15 scouts/technical advisors would have worked and on a rotating basis. However, I think they should have banned those scouts from working for Clubs and their affiliates/tournaments for 5 years after working as a Scout/advisor to prevent a conflict of interest.
The so-called "scouts" were former ODP scouts and some of the Docs. My dd Doc was a National YNT Scout, Head Training Center Director in San Diego and had too much power, MOO!

Last edited:
You might want to read some of the comments she’s said about her dad. (Very dismissive)) it might change your opinion. Apparently he’s a super fan of hers and travels to watch every game she’s ever played.

I need to read those, too. My understanding is he was also (frequently) her youth coach and used to pick up and drop off other players so they could participate.

The US v MX result was not a fluke either. We create very few overloads, make almost no 3rd man runs, and rely on our forwards being able to beat opponent's backline in individual duals. I was not impresses by the GK and we missed our usual CB pairing. From my amateur eye, the USWNT is playing a no more nuanced version of soccer than what one sees at D1 college (but obviously with more elite talent). Chemistry looks off but that probably is just due to the poor results of late. We have the individual talent and hoping the program can get back on top with Emma Hayes.

I did not watch the game but based on what Alex Morgan ("Mexico brought it tonight") said and what Carli Lloyd said is troublesome. It seemed that Mexico had Ganas and we did not. The win against the Dominican Republic was all praise about this and that and how the USA was back. Something is off with this team.

"Mexico was exceptional. Best I've seen from them in a long time. Confident, brave, relentless, organized and hungry!" (= Ganas) Lloyd said.

During a criticism of the USWNT, Lloyd stated that a "lack of motivation crept in during 2020, giving other teams the confidence that they can beat the US team."

I think the competition to make the US team needs to be more intense and cutthroat with no politics, no guarantees and no contracts and big sponsor to be on the team. Pro, yes on the guaranteed contracts. I would suggest putting together a college all-star team of players who are knocking on the door for a call up to get this team ready for Spain and England. 2 shots on goal against a team that didn't make the World cup is no bueno. I love our country and want us to win. No spot should be safe. The new coach has her work cut out for her, but she can do it. The school of hard knocks.

I did not watch the game but based on what Alex Morgan ("Mexico brought it tonight") said and what Carli Lloyd said is troublesome. It seemed that Mexico had Ganas and we did not. The win against the Dominican Republic was all praise about this and that and how the USA was back. Something is off with this team.

"Mexico was exceptional. Best I've seen from them in a long time. Confident, brave, relentless, organized and hungry!" (= Ganas) Lloyd said.

During a criticism of the USWNT, Lloyd stated that a "lack of motivation crept in during 2020, giving other teams the confidence that they can beat the US team."

I think the competition to make the US team needs to be more intense and cutthroat with no politics, no guarantees and no contracts and big sponsor to be on the team. Pro, yes on the guaranteed contracts. I would suggest putting together a college all-star team of players who are knocking on the door for a call up to get this team ready for Spain and England. 2 shots on goal against a team that didn't make the World cup is no bueno. I love our country and want us to win. No spot should be safe. The new coach has her work cut out for her, but she can do it. The school of hard knocks.
What's off is the idea that it's business as usual, at least until the newly appointed coach takes the team. We will see if she does or is allowed to do what she feels best. There are now contractual restrictions and politics still embedded. Essentially US soccer as a whole is stagnant in many of the key areas. Such as picking the same players or the same kind of players that offer very little difference in how they play (i.e. most of the forward line from last nights game).

What's off is the idea that it's business as usual, at least until the newly appointed coach takes the team. We will see if she does or is allowed to do what she feels best. There are now contractual restrictions and politics still embedded. Essentially US soccer as a whole is stagnant in many of the key areas. Such as picking the same players or the same kind of players that offer very little difference in how they play (i.e. most of the forward line from last nights game).
I agree 100% with you :)

Why play a college all-star team ? Most of the US team is a product of the college system. It's would basically be an inter team scrimmage , just younger ,faster players that play the same the US team plays.

How about addressing the US team lost to a half US/Mexican team with different skill set the USWNT does not value and a better coaching. I understand it's a intern US coach.

Hopefully when the staff is in place , they will replace players that don't need to be there and assemble a team that can switch up playing styles when the game calls for it.

Why play a college all-star team ? Most of the US team is a product of the college system. It's would basically be an inter team scrimmage , just younger ,faster players that play the same the US team plays.
It was just an idea for playing against a team with a chip on their shoulder for not being called up. I'm referring to the younger players who skipped college. They need a challenge because they don't seem ready to play with Ganas.

It was just an idea for playing against a team with a chip on their shoulder for not being called up. I'm referring to the younger players who skipped college. They need a challenge because they don't seem ready to play with Ganas.
Ganas is fine , but if you see now all the teams are fit and are not afraid of the US. If this was 10 years ago I would have said this game would have been won in the last 15 minute due to fitness and ganas. Rodman or Smith would have blown thru the last line and scored .

Most top teams now have staff's for mental and physical part of the game.

Ganas is fine , but if you see now all the teams are fit and are not afraid of the US. If this was 10 years ago I would have said this game would have been won in the last 15 minute due to fitness and ganas. Rodman or Smith would have blown thru the last line and scored .

Most top teams now have staff's for mental and physical part of the game.
I don't think the players are ready or playing with the passion to be #1. Something is very off. When I watch top college teams play, they play with pride and leave it all on the field. I don't see that with some of these players. I'm not saying the college game is being played the right way, I'm referring to ganas and passion.

The team selection is totally off. For instance, why is Becky Sauerbrunn starting as a 38 yo CB when we should be building for the future at the beginning of a WC cycle? Perhaps, we are just in a holding pattern waiting for the new coach but selecting the same players who have already had their time (and been very successful) is not a good look. I don't think it is an either/or in terms of ganas v. game smarts. Man City plays with incredible intensity but also at an otherworldly tactical/technical level. As they say, maximal effort is the minimum requirement. TBF, most of the players are still in pre-season form as the NWSL has not yet started.

The team selection is totally off. For instance, why is Becky Sauerbrunn starting as a 38 yo CB when we should be building for the future at the beginning of a WC cycle? Perhaps, we are just in a holding pattern waiting for the new coach but selecting the same players who have already had their time (and been very successful) is not a good look. I don't think it is an either/or in terms of ganas v. game smarts. Man City plays with incredible intensity but also at an otherworldly tactical/technical level. As they say, maximal effort is the minimum requirement. TBF, most of the players are still in pre-season form as the NWSL has not yet started.
I like this and makes sense. I did not see the game so I'm just going with what Alex Morgan said about "Mexico showed up tonight."

I agree with your premise, but you can't compare a national team with a club team.

Man City, your example (prob best club team in the world), have had the same manager (best in the world) for 8 straight years, during which time, he has spent $1B on players that he wants to suit and mold into his style / team etc. He gets to work with them every day and they have to conform to what he wants or they are done.

I don't think the players are ready or playing with the passion to be #1. Something is very off. When I watch top college teams play, they play with pride and leave it all on the field. I don't see that with some of these players. I'm not saying the college game is being played the right way, I'm referring to ganas and passion.
I’ve read a lot opine about individualistic play Vs team play being an issue for US Soccer (and scouting such players) as other national teams catch up to the US with better skilled players. … that you see this now in youth pipeline and it needs to be addressed or we will see more losses in the future. That’s some commentary I’ve seen floating around for what it’s worth.

I’ve read a lot opine about individualistic play Vs team play being an issue for US Soccer (and scouting such players) as other national teams catch up to the US with better skilled players. … that you see this now in youth pipeline and it needs to be addressed or we will see more losses in the future. That’s some commentary I’ve seen floating around for what it’s worth.
Watch an average women's college soccer game sometime.

After you do you'll know exactly why the USWNT is falling behind.

Yes. We need players that make other players better on the field. What we have now is mostly a group of players that make themselves look good against weaker teams.

Currently in youth national team and Club Soccer selection process, we have this problem too. We don't look at players that make the team better while they are on the field, we just look at individual players. We also need players with different styles to play against different opponents as needed.

Watch an average women's college soccer game sometime.

After you do you'll know exactly why the USWNT is falling behind.
yeah, college destroys the players. They'll eventually panic and force through an academy system like Europe has done (though it will probably be even more half-assed than the men's). They panicking yet? At least the frustration is finally becoming palpable.

Yes. We need players that make other players better on the field. What we have now is mostly a group of players that make themselves look good against weaker teams.

Currently in youth national team and Club Soccer selection process, we have this problem too. We don't look at players that make the team better while they are on the field, we just look at individual players. We also need players with different styles to play against different opponents as needed.

We get what we scout for. If the scouts consistently reward highlight reel dribbling against weak opponents, that’s what we’ll have.

Part of the difficulty is that dribbling is just easier to see. Dribble past three people, and the whole sideline sees it. Another player can send five consecutive passes to poorly covered teammates, and it looks like she didn’t do anything.

We get what we scout for. If the scouts consistently reward highlight reel dribbling against weak opponents, that’s what we’ll have.

Part of the difficulty is that dribbling is just easier to see. Dribble past three people, and the whole sideline sees it. Another player can send five consecutive passes to poorly covered teammates, and it looks like she didn’t do anything.
^^ This 1000 times. ^^

The US has some fantasic mids who enjoy having 80% passing accuracy and assisting.. and they can score too.
But most of the YNT end up with with lots of forwards and attaking mids being converted to other positions.

Back