New USWNT head coach

We get what we scout for. If the scouts consistently reward highlight reel dribbling against weak opponents, that’s what we’ll have. 20%

Part of the difficulty is that dribbling is just easier to see. Dribble past three people, and the whole sideline sees it. Another player can send five consecutive passes to poorly covered teammates, and it looks like she didn’t do anything.
I think 1v1 should be 20% of the requirement but 40% should be how often and how well a player can move the ball forward to teammates and help create chances for their team. When playing against tough teams, the ability to repeatedly create opportunities for your team is more important than anything else because the team with the most chances to score will also most likely win. A player that can do this against tough competition can think quickly solve problems in tough games.

The ability to play in the defensive third, regardless of position, should be just as vital.

We see a lot of players who are only good when they receive the ball but unable to defend against tough teams.

What a player can do against an easy team shouldn't be considered at all.

The team selection is totally off. For instance, why is Becky Sauerbrunn starting as a 38 yo CB when we should be building for the future at the beginning of a WC cycle? Perhaps, we are just in a holding pattern waiting for the new coach but selecting the same players who have already had their time (and been very successful) is not a good look. I don't think it is an either/or in terms of ganas v. game smarts. Man City plays with incredible intensity but also at an otherworldly tactical/technical level. As they say, maximal effort is the minimum requirement. TBF, most of the players are still in pre-season form as the NWSL has not yet started.

Sauerbrunn, Dunn and Dahlkemper are all 30 and up. Time to let Girma, Davidson and whomever else take the reins. For that matter, put Naeher in that group.

Sauerbrunn, Dunn and Dahlkemper are all 30 and up. Time to let Girma, Davidson and whomever else take the reins. For that matter, put Naeher in that group.
Among those, Dunn is the only one who I thought played well. She defended 1v1 well and created several opportunities on offense. She did get beat a couple of times, but was QUICK to recover.

But I agree regarding the others. To my eye, Sauerbrunn and Dalhkemper did very little. And I will add Sonnett, Rodman, and Smith to that same list.

Among those, Dunn is the only one who I thought played well. She defended 1v1 well and created several opportunities on offense. She did get beat a couple of times, but was QUICK to recover.

But I agree regarding the others. To my eye, Sauerbrunn and Dalhkemper did very little. And I will add Sonnett, Rodman, and Smith to that same list.

I think the problem with Dunn is she doesn't want to be a defender. She's athletic and fierce, though, which I'm not sure I'd use as labels for the other 2, but Dunn wants to be a striker. Sauerbrunn is a player I like but everybody gets old.

Must have been a Westminster Dog Show or 30 for 30 on the '85 Bears again
I have also noticed womens basketball from the UK being televised. o_O
I don't know who Jenna Nighswonger is but that left footer was legit. She's a back?

... and I owe Naeher an apology. The down low, left handed tip around the post was Solo-esque.
Speaking with my daughter on here transition from the midfield to a back. Seems to be a great move.

Are we stuck having to pay Paramount or someone else for this? I didn't see it in the guide.

Yes. Really annoying that Mexico v Paraguay is on CBS, but the US game is not.

Thankfully, we do have Paramount+. The game was super-chippy from the start.

Much better lineup from the US. Back line was solid.
I don't know who Jenna Nighswonger is but that left footer was legit. She's a back?

... and I owe Naeher an apology. The down low, left handed tip around the post was Solo-esque.
She played MF at FSU and was an AA. Really, really good MF. I love the switch Gotham made when they put her at left wingback. She looks so good back there and the entire back line (Nighswonger, Davidson, Girma, and Fox) looked sooo much better than the “old” line. I think Sauerbrunn’s and Dahlkemper’s playing days are #d. They might still be good alternate starters in a tournament like this and the Olympics and subs for a tournament like the World Cup.

Yes. Really annoying that Mexico v Paraguay is on CBS, but the US game is not.

Thankfully, we do have Paramount+. The game was super-chippy from the start.

Much better lineup from the US. Back line was solid.

She played MF at FSU and was an AA. Really, really good MF. I love the switch Gotham made when they put her at left wingback. She looks so good back there and the entire back line (Nighswonger, Davidson, Girma, and Fox) looked sooo much better than the “old” line. I think Sauerbrunn’s and Dahlkemper’s playing days are #d. They might still be good alternate starters in a tournament like this and the Olympics and subs for a tournament like the World Cup.

I remember first seeing Girma at Stanford and thinking... what?! But she converted me very quickly. She's not flashy. She's not anything but effective and always seems to have the right spacing, right angles and just really steady. Made me a believer.

I remember first seeing Girma at Stanford and thinking... what?! But she converted me very quickly. She's not flashy. She's not anything but effective and always seems to have the right spacing, right angles and just really steady. Made me a believer.
Exactly the same for me re: Girma.

Back