New USWNT head coach

NWSL teams would benefit from a better pool if they created a training program for kids after 13 years old that focus on soccer IQ and technical skills, not in competition with the local big clubs but a supplement to it. Create one that isn't for profit but just pays for itself or slightly subsidized by the NWSL team. In the long run, the NWSL team will have a better pool of players. I think they would even see results within 2-3 years.
Isn't that kind of what SD Wave is already doing with Surf?

I don't think its coincidence that they practice on the Polo Fields.

They're loosely setting up relationships + getting ready for when NWSL greenlights a homegrown rule.

From what I hear, Wave plans to have an academy-type team by late summer. They're are looking at players from across the country, including many from SoCal. 16 players who will train in the same environment as the full team. No cost. Online school. A few other NWSL clubs are putting together something similar.

From what I hear, Wave plans to have an academy-type team by late summer. They're are looking at players from across the country, including many from SoCal. 16 players who will train in the same environment as the full team. No cost. Online school. A few other NWSL clubs are putting together something similar.
100%. This type of plan was given to me and my child in 2016. Live on the premises and do school online with club tutors. Obviously, the GDA was the carrot back then, but this is way better. For those who inspire to go pro at 15 and 16, this is a great idea. The top Docs (Scouts back then) told me to my face that college is no bueno for the top, top players and high school is 100% forbidden. Good luck to all these amazing young ladies who have dream of going Pro.

Last edited:

"Berman also addressed the future of youth academies, a mechanism that helped spawn exponential growth for Major League Soccer in recent years. Currently, teams are free to sign youth players but there is no direct line to an NWSL through an academy. MLS, which is in many more cities than NWSL has a home-grown rule that allows clubs to retain players who come up through their youth system.

It is one of the areas we really hope to make progress on in 2024 as we chart our strategic initiatives. There are a bunch of clubs that are very interested in figuring out the most strategic ways to build academies or invest in youth.""

Jessica Berman is the Commissioner of the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL)

Seems very clear that NWSL is going to accommodate Academies.

"Berman also addressed the future of youth academies, a mechanism that helped spawn exponential growth for Major League Soccer in recent years. Currently, teams are free to sign youth players but there is no direct line to an NWSL through an academy. MLS, which is in many more cities than NWSL has a home-grown rule that allows clubs to retain players who come up through their youth system.

It is one of the areas we really hope to make progress on in 2024 as we chart our strategic initiatives. There are a bunch of clubs that are very interested in figuring out the most strategic ways to build academies or invest in youth.""

Jessica Berman is the Commissioner of the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL)

Seems very clear that NWSL is going to accommodate Academies.
what do you mean "accommodate"? where is the money? No NWSL team currently has an Academy. The boys do but they can be sold and in America that is still a rarity but getting better. That is how they can pay for academies or like Barcelona.. they charge the players for tuition. They may have a "relationship" with a club but I really doubt the are subsidizing anything, they can't afford to.

I really doubt SD Surf ECNL is going to change their tactics to "develop" players that will drop them in any sort of ranking or jeopardize their competitiveness as seen in the SW conf. Its just not how ECNL and club soccer works here. Top Girls go to top clubs. Maybe at younger ages but not from U14 up. Also who is considered "home grown"? Is any female player out of San Diego considered homegrown to Wave? How about LA? Surf is literally a franchise so is it geographic or per club? Would Wave get homegrown for New England Surf? All this sounds good but the implementation has giant holes. DA was a great idea when it started and look how that went.

Too many women and girls are tearing their ACLs. Sorry to hear about this but happy for Alex.

Morgan called into USWNT Gold Cup roster after Fishel tears ACL😦

what do you mean "accommodate"? where is the money? No NWSL team currently has an Academy. The boys do but they can be sold and in America that is still a rarity but getting better. That is how they can pay for academies or like Barcelona.. they charge the players for tuition. They may have a "relationship" with a club but I really doubt the are subsidizing anything, they can't afford to.

I really doubt SD Surf ECNL is going to change their tactics to "develop" players that will drop them in any sort of ranking or jeopardize their competitiveness as seen in the SW conf. Its just not how ECNL and club soccer works here. Top Girls go to top clubs. Maybe at younger ages but not from U14 up. Also who is considered "home grown"? Is any female player out of San Diego considered homegrown to Wave? How about LA? Surf is literally a franchise so is it geographic or per club? Would Wave get homegrown for New England Surf? All this sounds good but the implementation has giant holes. DA was a great idea when it started and look how that went.
They should have kept DA but changed it to include high school soccer. It was a better development process than what we currently have.

They should have kept DA but changed it to include high school soccer. It was a better development process than what we currently have.
They were planning to have high school soccer the year following its demise. What they don’t publicly say is that Parlow hated DA.

They were planning to have high school soccer the year following its demise. What they don’t publicly say is that Parlow hated DA.
Definitely a vengeful move that only harmed the girls and their soccer development.

We're going to see the impact of this decision in the next 5 years through our inability to compete in international competition and a large increase of international soccer players in NWSL and college soccer.

HUGE Alex Morgan fan! Hopefully she can stay on the team and play indefinitely like a Pete Rose player/coach arrangement- last night showed she's still 'got it' and is just as fiery and effective as ever!

Definitely a vengeful move that only harmed the girls and their soccer development.

We're going to see the impact of this decision in the next 5 years through our inability to compete in international competition and a large increase of international soccer players in NWSL and college soccer.

I'm curious about the DA comment.
Was the recipe and vision the DA had expected to be on par or better than a girls programs overseas?

I'm curious about the DA comment.
Was the recipe and vision the DA had expected to be on par or better than a girls programs overseas?
The recipe and vision was to be better than what we currently have because we saw that the girls overseas were starting to catch up and surpass the US if the training system remained the same.

The recipe and vision was to be better than what we currently have because we saw that the girls overseas were starting to catch up and surpass the US if the training system remained the same.
100% about the vision. I'm sure many had good intentions. We were told by the head boss of the GDA from the Netherlands that "The World is Watching" and so they came in heavy handed, slapped us with so many rules that most clubs were confused, changed to calendar year, told every Doc and club owner to offer fully funded teams for each of the clubs three top teams (it was 3 combo teams to start, like 98/99, 00/01 and 02/03), have "B" and "A" licensed coaches, state of the art fields, top DOCs, 10 months of soccer, no high school soccer and no other sports allowed or you were regulated to the second tier league ECNL. I bought in early on and drank so much of this Kool aid I got sick. The truth? This was a money grab, a power grab, destroy high school and college soccer and make sure the Blues get their business destroyed because Tad and others were 100% against this Gestapo take over because of the mental abuse this took on the girls.

100% about the vision. I'm sure many had good intentions. We were told by the head boss of the GDA from the Netherlands that "The World is Watching" and so they came in heavy handed, slapped us with so many rules that most clubs were confused, changed to calendar year, told every Doc and club owner to offer fully funded teams for each of the clubs three top teams (it was 3 combo teams to start, like 98/99, 00/01 and 02/03), have "B" and "A" licensed coaches, state of the art fields, top DOCs, 10 months of soccer, no high school soccer and no other sports allowed or you were regulated to the second tier league ECNL. I bought in early on and drank so much of this Kool aid I got sick. The truth? This was a money grab, a power grab, destroy high school and college soccer and make sure the Blues get their business destroyed because Tad and others were 100% against this Gestapo take over because of the mental abuse this took on the girls.
Sounds like you had a bad experience and many parents from ECNL probably are going through the same experience you had too.

Agree the age change is bad for the US. Agree that high school soccer should be an intregal part of any soccer development program in the US because it's an intregal part of our culture. There are currently some ECNL coaches that discourage and punish players for playing high school. From my understanding, DA took feedback and was going to change this rule to allow high school.

The combo groups didn't happen for girls in DA or at least that didn't very long.

As for the money grab, it wasn't. DA was more expensive for clubs to run than ECNL because the coaching requirements were higher and the training/development requirements were higher.

As for Blues, I'm not sure why you would say that. Blues was a part of DA. Your daughter could have chosen to be part of Blues DA program. Blues started struggling more in DA because there was more competition OC because DA admitted more clubs. Blues still did great until Baker left and took a lot of top ECNL age players. Even after that, Blues is getting better again.

As for the money grab, it wasn't. DA was more expensive for clubs to run than ECNL because the coaching requirements were higher and the training/development requirements were higher.

As for Blues, I'm not sure why you would say that. Blues was a part of DA. Your daughter could have chosen to be part of Blues DA program. Blues started struggling more in DA because there was more competition OC because DA admitted more clubs. Blues still did great until Baker left and took a lot of top ECNL age players. Even after that, Blues is getting better again.
Money & Power Grab at the very top, not for the clubs. ECNL was 100% regulated. We agree to disagree. Regarding Blues, let me be frank. My dd played for Tad and won a state championship. Our 03/04 team was #1 in the country and was only going to get better. Parents, Docs, coaches, players that were loyal at Beach FC, & Legends FC were pissed off that Blues would poach their top players for ECNL and the college connections. College connection is and still the bait. Crazy Larry had the great OM and other top 04/05s. I was approached in 2016 by 3 of the top Docs in Socal to leave the Blues Kickball Program or my dd would get left behind. I was told that the Blues work on a very tight budget, had no fields (lost the Ranch) and their coaches were not supporting the US Soccer Training Centers (100% true) and had no real "Licence" to coach girls. Blues had no way to offer "fully funded" and would be out of business soon. Strikers OC and Blues were offered bags of cash by one of the richest clubs in the Nation to go away. The reason Blues struggled in the GDA is because their players were poached (bought) and offered 100% free rides, free uniforms, free travel and in some cases a spending Per Diem. Blues did NOT offer free rides to the stars and when all this went down and the age change came, most of the top players left for greener pasture and a chance for the invite to the Training Centers (new ODP) and through the TC, an invite to YNT List was promised. The Doc of these clubs was also the Training Center Director and "The Man." He had what the parents and kids wanted and that my friend was a big problem. He now had all the power one needs to poach players from the Blues and other clubs and boy did he. Blues did help some of the poor families and parents would offer free rides in their car to get that player to practice and to the games because most of the poor parents had two jobs to pay their bills and no stay home mommy.

Last edited:
Money & Power Grab at the very top, not for the clubs. ECNL was 100% regulated. We agree to disagree. Regarding Blues, let me be frank. My dd played for Tad and won a state championship. Our 03/04 team was #1 in the country and was only going to get better. Parents, Docs, coaches, players that were loyal at Beach FC, & Legends FC were pissed off that Blues would poach their top players for ECNL and the college connections. College connection is and still the bait. Crazy Larry had the great OM and other top 04/05s. I was approached in 2016 by 3 of the top Docs in Socal to leave the Blues Kickball Program or my dd would get left behind. I was told that the Blues work on a very tight budget, had no fields (lost the Ranch) and their coaches were not supporting the US Soccer Training Centers (100% true) and had no real "Licence" to coach girls. Blues had no way to offer "fully funded" and would be out of business soon. Strikers OC and Blues were offered bags of cash by one of the richest clubs in the Nation to go away. The reason Blues struggled in the GDA is because their players were poached (bought) and offered 100% free rides, free uniforms, free travel and in some cases a spending Per Diem. Blues did NOT offer free rides to the stars and when all this went down and the age change came, most of the top players left for greener pasture and a chance for the invite to the Training Centers (new ODP) and through the TC, an invite to YNT List was promised. The Doc of these clubs was also the Training Center Director and "The Man." He had what the parents and kids wanted and that my friend was a big problem. He now had all the power one needs to poach players from the Blues and other clubs and boy did he. Blues did help some of the poor families and parents would offer free rides in their car to get that player to practice and to the games because most of the poor parents had two jobs to pay their bills and no stay home mommy.
This is still happening.

It doesn't matter what league it is.

The Technical advisors that were hired by the DA in 2017 were supposed to set the tone for clubs to follow. They were also supposed to double as scouts. The Tech Adv. are now the Talent ID managers, but spread pretty thin since it's not just for DA they focus on.

US Soccer has known the womens/youth side was in trouble as far back as 2006. Tony DiCicco was very vocal about this and after he finished the U20 World Cup in early 2009 and he focused his World Cup report on the fact that we were already behind. I recall he had a section in the report of some of the basic technical skills lacking as well as some of the basics the coaches had to spend time teaching.

The Girls DA came on the scene in fall '17. 8 years of US Soccer either sitting on the problem or unaware of how to address it.
The DA had 5 Tech advisors and 70 something teams. Crush's reference earlier to 'the netherlands' wasn't just a SoCal experience. It was an uphill battle from the start.

HUGE Alex Morgan fan! Hopefully she can stay on the team and play indefinitely like a Pete Rose player/coach arrangement- last night showed she's still 'got it' and is just as fiery and effective as ever!
You might want to read some of the comments she’s said about her dad. (Very dismissive)) it might change your opinion. Apparently he’s a super fan of hers and travels to watch every game she’s ever played.

The Technical advisors that were hired by the DA in 2017 were supposed to set the tone for clubs to follow. They were also supposed to double as scouts. The Tech Adv. are now the Talent ID managers, but spread pretty thin since it's not just for DA they focus on.

US Soccer has known the womens/youth side was in trouble as far back as 2006. Tony DiCicco was very vocal about this and after he finished the U20 World Cup in early 2009 and he focused his World Cup report on the fact that we were already behind. I recall he had a section in the report of some of the basic technical skills lacking as well as some of the basics the coaches had to spend time teaching.

The Girls DA came on the scene in fall '17. 8 years of US Soccer either sitting on the problem or unaware of how to address it.
The DA had 5 Tech advisors and 70 something teams. Crush's reference earlier to 'the netherlands' wasn't just a SoCal experience. It was an uphill battle from the start.
Yes, it was an uphill battle, like any beginning. 5/70 is 13 clubs per person. That's tough but I think 15 scouts/technical advisors would have worked and on a rotating basis. However, I think they should have banned those scouts from working for Clubs and their affiliates/tournaments for 5 years after working as a Scout/advisor to prevent a conflict of interest.

Back