New USWNT head coach

This has been in the works for several years- they first tried to dismantle the ECNL-college connection with the DA. - that was a total failure and now they have a new approach that is a pretty powerful intervention. There will be a path for amateur play/college and another path for pro/USWNT. It seems preteen players and families will have to choose their path when they are 12 or 13 now

The biggest mistake US Soccer did was put the selection process to make "The List" in the hands of the Docs in 2017. This allowed rich dad to buy clubs and buy boards to gain an upper hand in PAY-FOR-PLAY. This was for U16, U15 and U14 YNT teams mainly. Docs with checkered past took advantage of this new way to select and it was just stupid, wrong and so much worse. Then Covid came and they quit on everyone.

Last edited:
There will be a path for amateur play/college and another path for pro/USWNT. It seems preteen players and families will have to choose their path when they are 12 or 13 now
Does the USWNT or Pros really think that they know exactly who will be the next big talent at age 12 or 13?

It just doesn't seem possible that the best talent would be defined this way. It also seems like recruiters could be easily corrupted.

I've heard that the rankings app wants to track players + goals + assists. Likely inputted by parents. If this happens it would be pretty clear who should be on the USWNT or playing pro.

Does the USWNT or Pros really think that they know exactly who will be the next big talent at age 12 or 13?

It just doesn't seem possible that the best talent would be defined this way. It also seems like recruiters could be easily corrupted.

I've heard that the rankings app wants to track players + goals + assists. Likely inputted by parents. If this happens it would be pretty clear who should be on the USWNT or playing pro.
They sure did not miss with OM and she has delivered up to this point. She played well in the NWSL. Nike also plays a big role in the "Next Big Talent." I just coined a great reality show with your tagline bro.

They sure did not miss with OM and she has delivered up to this point. She played well in the NWSL. Nike also plays a big role in the "Next Big Talent." I just coined a great reality show with your tagline bro.
Finding unicorns isn't hard especially when competition isn't that great. Finding "the best of the rest" is where it becomes challenging. As competition goes up finding the best of the rest becomes even harder, also it becomes the deciding factor in wins vs losses.

Eventually NWSL won't matter as more and more US players play in Europe. The tides have turned. We just don't have the coaching or the infrastructure to match what European teams can do. Prepare to see college rosters populated with European players like the men's side. It's only a matter of time. MLS barely has the money to support true academy teams. I can't imagine NWSL being able to pull that off.
This has been in the works for several years- they first tried to dismantle the ECNL-college connection with the DA. - that was a total failure and now they have a new approach that is a pretty powerful intervention. There will be a path for amateur play/college and another path for pro/USWNT. It seems preteen players and families will have to choose their path when they are 12 or 13 now
I doubt this since USYNT are picking the girls from ECNL coach recommendations. I do agree that the training with ECNL clubs is insufficient when compared with academies in Europe. Our 12-18 year olds spend more time travelling to practice and tournaments then training and playing soccer. The families are giving their monies to travel agencies and hotels rather than serious trainings.

I doubt this since USYNT are picking the girls from ECNL coach recommendations. I do agree that the training with ECNL clubs is insufficient when compared with academies in Europe. Our 12-18 year olds spend more time travelling to practice and tournaments then training and playing soccer. The families are giving their monies to travel agencies and hotels rather than serious trainings.

And while I like the high school piece of ECNL....it's not going to help our international level of play. That's a year of training out of the window unless your player is at a top high school.

And while I like the high school piece of ECNL....it's not going to help our international level of play. That's a year of training out of the window unless your player is at a top high school.
If they train more than 4 hours a week during the other 9 months - high school soccer wouldn't matter as much and it would teach them how to play in different scenarios and high school soccer is part of building a soccer culture in our country.

Training 20 hours per week, include weekends for trainings, using the games as learning vehicles for technical and tactical things learned in trainings. Can you imagine how great our pool of players would be if we have our 12-18 year old girls in ECNL ALL training how to finish, when and how to turn, speed movement while on the ball, communication skills, and tactical analysis five days a week?

Most of us would rather spend the extra 15K traveling money on better training.

Actually Ashley Sanchez is not old. Surprised she’s not on the squad… There are a few mids on the roster that are not better than her.

Neither is Sullivan... but I've never understood the hype with her. And there are a couple of older players still listed. Dahlkemper and Sonnett. Probably not a bad idea to have some veterans in the back.

USWNT beat China 3-0, a very one sided game. Could have easily been 6 or 7 to 0. The new younger players look very good + all seem likeable.

I've watched OM play a few times, and honestly not that impressed. I think the recruiting of the High School aged players for Pro teams is more of a novelty marketing strategy. As someone else said, the midfield selection of the China match is suspect.

I've watched OM play a few times, and honestly not that impressed. I think the recruiting of the High School aged players for Pro teams is more of a novelty marketing strategy. As someone else said, the midfield selection of the China match is suspect.

She hasn't impressed me, either. Especially not the other day. She's big for her age, and doesn't stand out as being below the level, but she doesn't look above it, either.

Been watching OM for the last 3 years in NWSL, and she is getting better every year. Really good with shot placement, IQ, and a great passer. Just not sure her overall speed is enough, but I think the same thing about Mia Fishel. We shall see. Nice to see Smith up top instead of Morgan.

I am talking about the new players added to the USWNT - they are all players that have skipped college to go directly to pro teams - Rodman, Thompson, Moultrie, and Shaw all skipping college and are the most recent call-ups to 2023 camps
Many others dropped out of college before that- Sanchez, Albert, Smith

College is looked at as a waste of time or detrimental by US Soccer so young players have to choose one or the other. I have heard the comments and seen the pressures from US Soccer. The constant comparison to Europe isn’t a good comparison because they have no college system so players don’t have college as an option unless they come to the US.

8/26 on USMNT 2022 roster played college compared to 13/23 in 2014 , that number will probably be 1 by 2026 ( assuming Matt Turner is still our #1 keeper )

I suspect the USWNT will show a somewhat similar trajectory in the next 10 years

Also, with equal pay for coaching

the USWNT are going to be able to get the best coach money can buy in the game, she is getting paid a reported 1.5M a year( highest paid female coach in the world )

while the men will be stuck with the Berhalters of the world

Getting selected for a YNT team is honestly meaningless for getting onto the USWNT. I have tracked players for about 6 past years in this process and none of those players are getting selected unless they sign them to pro contract at 15 or 18 years old. Michelle Cooper is a good example. Selected for every YNT and dropped like a hot potato now - even passed over in the draft process and bumped down to the #2 draft pick below a player that was still in high school

Getting selected for a YNT team is honestly meaningless for getting onto the USWNT. I have tracked players for about 6 past years in this process and none of those players are getting selected unless they sign them to pro contract at 15 or 18 years old. Michelle Cooper is a good example. Selected for every YNT and dropped like a hot potato now - even passed over in the draft process and bumped down to the #2 draft pick below a player that was still in high school
It’s not meaningless. But Cooper is too far down the depth chart for selection right now, and rightfully so as her NWSL performance was below that of the others selected.
Yes, the WNT definitely expects young players to be developing and proving themselves at the professional level vs college these days. Quite a few more top players are opting out of college and/or leaving early this year for NWSL or pro teams in Europe.

Been watching OM for the last 3 years in NWSL, and she is getting better every year. Really good with shot placement, IQ, and a great passer. Just not sure her overall speed is enough, but I think the same thing about Mia Fishel. We shall see. Nice to see Smith up top instead of Morgan.

Love seeing SS up top. She gacked a few the last match I saw but the bottom line is she's putting herself in a spot to receive the ball and get off high percentage shots. Morgan's best days are behind her now.

e
You are correct that most USYNT players will not be selected for USWNT because it's a funnel, meaning only one from each USYNT age group might get selected for the USWNT. I think we have enough to make 3 USWNT (like Spain) and create depth if we select better USYNT players.

Being on the USYNT might be a funnel to get young pro contracts now.

8/26 on USMNT 2022 roster played college compared to 13/23 in 2014 , that number will probably be 1 by 2026 ( assuming Matt Turner is still our #1 keeper )

I suspect the USWNT will show a somewhat similar trajectory in the next 10 years
This trajectory will only occur IF the pay for women's soccer increases dramatically. At this point, it's still not worth it for most girls to forego soccer.

NWSL will be a threat for ECNL though because the best players are getting pro contracts. The real talent in the USYNT are going pro early like Barcenas, Ricketts, Riley Jackson, Jaedyn Shaw and Thompson sisters.

Back