Girls Development Academy

It is a pyramid scheme. Pyramid schemes are doomed to fail because their success depends on the ability to recruit more and more naive parents. Since there are only a limited number of naive parents in a given community, all pyramid schemes will ultimately collapse. The only people who make money are those few who are on the top of the pyramid (i.e., DOC's).

I agree with you ECNL, there is some fuzzy math going on.

It is a pyramid scheme. Pyramid schemes are doomed to fail because their success depends on the ability to recruit more and more naive parents. Since there are only a limited number of naive parents in a given community, all pyramid schemes will ultimately collapse. The only people who make money are those few successful DOC's who are on the top of the DA pyramid and US Soccer.
I say Ponzi Scheme, every family pays the annual club fees with dreams of a college scholarship and only a few players get it.

Last edited:
The DA will not be able to implement that THIS IS THE ONLY PATHWAY to the National team .

Why not? The US WNT roster has 24 spots, and there are going to be approximately 70 Girls DA clubs, with 3 teams per club, with 23 players per team. That means that every year, they will have a pool of 1610 stud players feeding those 24 spots. That seems very doable.

Besides our women are/were great without D.A. .
Yes, they have been successful, but their type of play has been exposed, and it is not a viable, long term style. The stated goal of the DA is to rely less on game/league results and concentrate more on the technical side of soccer with more training than games, run by more advanced and accredited coaches.

It is a pyramid scheme. Pyramid schemes are doomed to fail because their success depends on the ability to recruit more and more naive parents. Since there are only a limited number of naive parents in a given community, all pyramid schemes will ultimately collapse. The only people who make money are those few successful DOC's who are on the top of the DA pyramid and US Soccer.

Why not? The US WNT roster has 24 spots, and there are going to be approximately 70 Girls DA clubs, with 3 teams per club, with 23 players per team. That means that every year, they will have a pool of 1610 stud players feeding those 24 spots. That seems very doable.

Why not? More than 3/4 of the country is excluded. Will the U.S. not look at a player because the D.A. market is not geographically close by? 23 players goes back to my original point , if I'm one of the best, is possibly riding the bench on an elite team the best decision.

Yes, they have been successful, but their type of play has been exposed, and it is not a viable, long term style. The stated goal of the DA is to rely less on game/league results and concentrate more on the technical side of soccer with more training than games, run by more advanced and accredited coaches.

Not sure how they've been exposed. They are still producing results. Although the DA goal is stated, they picked almost the exact same clubs that are currently ECNL. This negates the more accredited aspect. Men's side however, has done nothing in comparison with the DA having been around for 10 years.

Not sure how they've been exposed. They are still producing results. Although the DA goal is stated, they picked almost the exact same clubs that are currently ECNL. This negates the more accredited aspect. Men's side however, has done nothing in comparison with the DA having been around for 10 years.
Don't mind CaliKlines, he's still floating on cloud nine that Legends was awarded DA. So for him everything has been righted by US Soccer. :)

Not at all. Maybe showing it visually will help more.

Current U15 ECNL team:
U15= 20 rostered players all are A team players
1-10 will move to the Girls DA U15/U16 combined team.
11-20 will remain on the U15 ECNL team, but get 10 new teammates

Current U16 ECNL:
U16= 20 rostered players all are A team players
1-10 will move to the Girls DA U15/16 combined team
11-20 will remain on the U16 ECNL team, but get 10 new teammates.

Final resulting reshuffle:
U15/16 DA team will comprise of 1-10 from U15 and 1-10 from U16
U15 ECNL will comprise 11-20, plus 10 new teammates
U16 ECNL will comprise 11-20, plus 10 new teammates.

Thanks for the clarification. So being outside the top 6 in each age group or players 15-20would suck. You will not be able to sub in. Some very talented players riding the bench.

So basically your thought is they should reduce the pool of national team players to only kids who live within a couple hours of these 70 clubs? I see how that makes sense from the prospective of the 70 clubs and their bottom line. But I don't see how that's a smart play if the goal is to find the best players?

I agree with what you're saying here, but I'm not sure how the DA changes this dynamic? Honestly seems like were talking about the same coaches and pretty much same clubs. Expecting that these same coaches and clubs are going to start teaching a wildly different style of soccer then what they have always done seems unrealistic.

Thanks for the clarification. So being outside the top 6 in each age group or players 15-20would suck. You will not be able to sub in. Some very talented players riding the bench.
Pertaining to the Girls DA team, you got it!

I have been told, DA requires bench players #15-20 to start games. What I don't know and maybe someone on the Boys DA side can answer. Will the bench players #15-20 get the same amount of starts as the starting #1-11 players on the team?

What people are underestimating is how important HS sports are to the girls. And that there is no money at the end of the journey.

We will find out soon. ECNL should boot out every GDA club and replace them with a nearby club. Touché'.

Pertaining to the Girls DA team, you got it!

I have been told, DA requires bench players #15-20 to start games. What I don't know and maybe someone on the Boys DA side can answer. Will the bench players #15-20 get the same amount of starts as the starting #1-11 players on the team?
Glad I got it. I'm not sure how they can enforce 15-20 starting. Who are the going to ask ? Parents:mad:

What people are underestimating is how important HS sports are to the girls. And that there is no money at the end of the journey.

We will find out soon. ECNL should boot out every GDA club and replace them with a nearby club. Touché'.

IDK, Eclipse Select Was awarded Girls DA and didn't their DOC create ECNL? I highly doubt he will kick out his own club out of ECNL.

Last edited:
On the boys DA at u14, the top 1-6 players are almost always starters. They try to balance play time with players 7-14. If you're lower than that you are screwed. As for 16's and 18's the best play. It's about winning. DA also has sub rules. You can not re enter like ECNL in halves or scdsl. DA once you are out you are out. Galaxy is the only truly free academy. Every academy pays something $$$

On the boys DA at u14, the top 1-6 players are almost always starters. They try to balance play time with players 7-14. If you're lower than that you are screwed. As for 16's and 18's the best play. It's about winning. DA also has sub rules. You can not re enter like ECNL in halves or scdsl. DA once you are out you are out. Galaxy is the only truly free academy. Every academy pays something $$$
Listen to fun on the pitch, he knows more about DA than any of us based on his own experience!

You have it right. This whole thing has been bad for soccer, focusing on dreams that wont happen and should not be in the first place. This was supposed to be about being a player on a team plain a sport that was fun and sometimes your team, the team you grew with, would be the one that wins. Now we have a mess. College, keep paying for those stupid camps. You are better off saving the money and time unless your kid is way better than the best, and doesn't change her mind at 17.

We are the number one team in the world in women's soccer, yet our U20s lost to Japan 5-0 a month ago. If that's the future for us, we are in trouble. US Soccer is trying to change our future.

Not sure how they've been exposed. They are still producing results.

If wins are your only criteria for success, then you are correct. They win many matches, and it makes me happy when they do. Although the US WNT did not win the 2011 WC, and they were exposed by a smaller, more technical Japanese side. And the gap is closing. Brazil teaches technical futbol, and they always give us a game.

Although the DA goal is stated, they picked almost the exact same clubs that are currently ECNL. This negates the more accredited aspect.

Uh, exact same clubs? Half is not the exact same. Half is half. They picked the best, most accomplished sides from the ECNL, along with the most accomplished non-ECNL clubs that have the talent and ability to teach technical soccer...and LA Premier, a geo-political selection.

How is that? I would agree, if DA fielded teams in every age group, but they DO NOT! The clubs will take the top 9-10 players from a U15 and top 9-10 players from a U16 team for example.

Are you saying the depth chart from #11-20 on each age group aren't very good? Well here are some facts for you. The U17 Blues-Dodge team has 17 players committed, Surf U17 and Slammers U17 has just as many. I will bet their U16 teams have similar number of players committed too. Not all of their committed players on their U16 and U17 teams would make their DA teams. In simple math terms: 2 age groups at these big clubs have on average 36-38 committed players. DA will only be able to roster what 18-20 players (only 14 see the pitch). It displaces 16-18 players who were previously on the A teams and where ECNL fills that void.

You think Slammers G15 minus their top 10 players is worth watching for a college coach?

We are the number one team in the world in women's soccer, yet our U20s lost to Japan 5-0 a month ago. If that's the future for us, we are in trouble. US Soccer is trying to change our future.
YNT results isn't indicative to Sr team results, because D1 college soccer success is what filters the YNT players before being invited to a Sr camp/team. Except of course for Mallory Pugh or Ashley Sanchez.

Last edited:
Back