Girls Development Academy

Also do you think mid-majors conference coaches like a Wyoming or Boise St. will be focusing all their time, effort and budget trying to recruit Blue Chippers on a DA team?.

So, are you saying that the ECNL is going to be the main focus of Wyoming and Boise State, and other like institutions?

So, are you saying that the ECNL is going to be the main focus of Wyoming and Boise State, and other like institutions?

I can tell you that those schools don't waste time with blue chip players that are never going to go there. If one of the top 50 players in the country happen to be from their home state then maybe they make a play at them. Otherwise they don't waste the time. The other side of the coin is that the players that land mostly YNT players are going to continue to do their scouting at YNT camps with players that have for the most part already been identified. DA will not change that. Also many of the top schools identify players that are YNT before they even get on US soccer's radar.

GDA's goal is to produce national players for their team not for college. Let's not forget that.
US soccer's self preservation is reliant on the success of the national team. They could care less if our girls play, attend or flunk out of college. Let's get real here.

Same coaches, new name. How does this help?

The best athletes and players would be the best regardless of ECNL, GDA, etc.

99% of the so cal girls will never set foot on the pitch for the US NT. Some of these girls on the team play there for a good 10 years!!!! Once the marketing dollars get behind PUGH there will be no one in so cal replacing her for 10-15 years.

Also there no money in professional soccer for the majority who make it. The janitor at your local elementary school makes more and has better benefits.

The goal should be play 2 years in college, then switch your major to something of substance so you can earn over six figures.

I agree with most everything that you said. However, Sanchez is in line to supplement not replace Pugh. Plus there are several other positions that will become available in the next 5-6 years. Lloyd is going to get married after the Olympics so count on her being gone in the next 4 years (she is 32 and isn't going to wait past 36 to start a family). A-Rod and Sydney Leroux are likely not coming back or will be gone for good in the next 5 years too. There is definitely going to be a lot more opportunity to break into the girls club in the next 5 years and Pugh and company are just the beginning.

GDA's goal is to produce national players for their team not for college. Let's not forget that.
US soccer's self preservation is reliant on the success of the national team. They could care less if our girls play, attend or flunk out of college. Let's get real here.

They don't develop national team players. D1 college soccer does. Horan is the exception. Pugh will be reporting to UCLA in a month and a half. The DA will not change that. They miss a ton of players that college soccer uncovers.

Uh, I already posted ECNL will be a viable option for D1 mid-major conferences, D2-D3.

With that said, parts of the country will not have DA. So, those ECNL clubs will still be a viable destination for players seeking to be recruited by Power 5 conference schools.

Last edited:
DA vs ECNL

DA goal to get girls to the National teams from U14 WNT- Senior WNT. This elite group of players represents less than 0.0000001% of the girls that play soccer in those age groups. Recently the WNT U14 called 48 players to camp and they just concluded a 2nd camp with only 36 players called back from the original 48. These 36 were representing all of the US girls in the 02 and 03 age groups in the country. Out of those very talented 36 maybe 2 or 3 ever make it to the senior WNT. So for 99.999999% of the girls playing DA they will never reach that goal. Doesn't mean the training won't be excellent nor won't open up opportunities for them on the College front. In all likely hood it will be another great vehicle for those talented players to get to the collegiate level. Until there is a viable pro league in the US it's College or playing pro overseas. ECNL was designed to get girls to college and for those select few that were scouted and selected to YNT from ECNL teams it served that purpose as a secondary role. International football is another beast and to play for the US it's a very unlikely and competitive road. I am sure DA and ECNL will coexist as the other leagues do and hopefully whatever your dd's goals are she will find the right fit for her and give herself the best opportunity to reach those goals.

Edit: It looks like Casper and I were thinking the same thing. He beat me to it by 20 minutes or so.

The US WNT roster has 24 spots, and there are going to be approximately 70 Girls DA clubs, with 3 teams per club, with 23 players per team. That means that every year, they will have a pool of 1610 stud players feeding those 24 spots.

99% of the so cal girls will never set foot on the pitch for the US NT. Some of these girls on the team play there for a good 10 years!!!!

It is closer to 99.99999% of all female soccer players in the USA from all age ranges across multiple generations. In reality, one new player makes the roster every other year on the WNT. In my opinion it is another scheme to transfer wealth from families to US Soccer and their respective DOC's. The only thing I like about the DA is that it may conceivably give a kid an opportunity to play at a high level of soccer that she would not have otherwise had due to low social-economic status (SES) of her family. However, low SES YNT potential girls usually play on scholarship anyway so in the end I think it is a moot point.

Here is the reality: approximately 70 GDA clubs, 1 team (u18/19 players only ~ with very rare exceptions) per club, 1 top player per team. That means every year the WNT (Senior only - the rest does not matter) will have 70 stud players to replace 1 roster spot every couple years. If your DD is one of those 70 it increases your chance to make the WNT roster to .02%.

Here is my suggestion. If you have a daughter that has a good deal of skill in soccer, encourage her to chase her dreams but be a realistic parent. Lovingly share this realism with your DD. Then, use soccer as leverage to get into the college of her dreams, or her 2nd or 3rd choice, or ANY college she would not have otherwise been able to attend. Have her play the beautiful game and watch her flourish and fail, and if you have the rare opportunity to watch her play in college (with or without a scholarship) you should pat yourself on the back. I will be one of the first to say "well done."

Last edited:
According to those "in the know" there will not be any more clubs added in Southern California for the Development Academy. IF this is true, WCFC and RSC will have wait a year and try to get in on expansion next year.

That is interesting and will have an interesting influence on the landscape...do most DA clubs in socal stay with ECNL as well?

PJ Brown is DOC of Arsenal. Randy Brown in an Arsenal ECNL coach. Mr. Lassiter is another ECNL coach. "Inner England" is a joke meant to be a play on words with the Inland Empire. Inner England would refer to the Premier League club called Arsenal FC, which is located in London.

PJ Brown is DOC of Arsenal. Randy Brown in an Arsenal ECNL coach. Mr. Lassiter is another ECNL coach. "Inner England" is a joke meant to be a play on words with the Inland Empire. Inner England would refer to the Premier League club called Arsenal FC, which is located in London.

Would Legends be considered Iceland then?

That is interesting and will have an interesting influence on the landscape...do most DA clubs in socal stay with ECNL as well?

Yes. ECNL will be for their second teams, as their top players will play in the DA. The other four DA Clubs will place their teams in the CRL and the National League provided they qualify.

Where do I go to get good information on Arsenal and Legends. Unbiased.
My girls played for both clubs at U-Little.

Both have the reach to recruit talented players, but in my opinion Legends is better managed. Arsenal has never found it's direction since the Kooimans left the club.

Legends was and still is more considerate to their teams outside the "A" team.

Cost, they're basically the same.

Legends has a deeper coaching pool, Arsenal tends to have 30 teams coached by RB every year and that makes for a lot of games with fill in coaches just winging it. However, I think Coach Anthony Glenn at Arsenal is a very good coach.

I know friends who play for both clubs and the one at Legends are considerably happier with their experiences.

Back