Girls Development Academy

Maybe I'm wrong, but what's so good about D.A. ? 23 girls on a team split evenly; only three subs per game which means only 14 girls will get an opportunity to play in a game; participating girls can't do ECNL, ODP, or high school. Seems like a lot to give up for something that isn't proven. We all see how the the boys side has produced stellar players and results :rolleyes:(insert sarcasm).

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong, but what's so good about D.A. ? 23 girls on a team split evenly; only three subs per game which means only 14 girls will get an opportunity to play in a game; participating girls can't do ECNL, ODP, or high school. Seems like a lot to give up for something that isn't proven. We all see how the the boys side has produced stellar players and results :rolleyes:(insert sarcasm).
I have been saying for years that all those restrictions interfere with the supposed goal of development. Unless, of course, they are mostly concerned with developing coaches or admins.

I would venture to say that some of their fiercest competitors either opted out of the playoffs or played in USYSA nationals. Not to diminish the team...they are awesome and were able to bring back some of their D-1 players.

I can think of at least one team that was better than Slammers but they were missing their 3 best players due to YNT camp. Even Slammers coach admitted to one of their players that they were benefitting because those players were gone.

That's another problem with the DA academy. If they over-saturate a team with equally good players, only so many are getting the minutes they need in a real match. Sure, it teaches kids to fight for a starting position. But at this age, they need an equal amount of competitiveness and playing time. Which brings up the question: Do kids risk losing playing time to get "maximum" exposure to college and national team scouts and play academy, or do they have a better opportunity at more playing time against good teams as well, but risk not getting the most exposure? It's truly amazing the amount of politics that is in a kids' sport.

That's another problem with the DA academy. If they over-saturate a team with equally good players, only so many are getting the minutes they need in a real match. Sure, it teaches kids to fight for a starting position. But at this age, they need an equal amount of competitiveness and playing time. Which brings up the question: Do kids risk losing playing time to get "maximum" exposure to college and national team scouts and play academy, or do they have a better opportunity at more playing time against good teams as well, but risk not getting the most exposure? It's truly amazing the amount of politics that is in a kids' sport.
Great point and why I think the clubs that have DA and ECNL status can offer more opportunities for a player. Especially, if the player isn't good enough to crack playtime with the DA team. Yet as the player continues to develop she still gets the opportunity to attend ECNL college showcases.

Last edited:
DA- IS HERE , MORE SOCCER TO LOVE>>>
Now my DD can forgo playing any youth soccer or AYSO and still make Flight 1 Soccer Program in her teens...Yah!!!
(Slammers Model Example)
Slammers - DA Program $$ (23 players)
Slammers - ECNL $$$ (18 Players)
Slammers -ECNL Reserve $$$ (18 Players)
Slammers- EGSL $$$ (18 Players)
Slammers- Flight 1 $$$ (18 Players)
The New DA Clubs Buisness model owns, recuitment and marketing genius move, we will all be lineing up....(remenber to keep paying for speed training, private trainings futsal and taking personal initiative to develope your DD's to ensure they have a chance to qualify to be picked to be one of these developement programs for a year.

Great point and why I think the clubs that have DA and ECNL status can offer more opportunities for a player. Especially, if the player isn't good enough to crack playtime with the DA team. Yet as the player continues to develop she still gets the opportunity to attend ECNL college showcases.
Its my understanding that clubs who get DA teams will most likely lose ECNL. Its one or the other.

Its my understanding that clubs who get DA teams will most likely lose ECNL. Its one or the other.

Not sure how reliable your sources are, but the 2 clubs that I know having both DA and ECNL status stated, they will field teams in both leagues. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense, because Girls DA combines 2 age groups, thus only the top 8-10 players in each calender year will be rostered only.

Also do you think ECNL or US Soccer wants to lose Blues, Slammers, Surf, Dallas Texans, PDA, Crossfire, Tophat, Michigan Hawks, Colorado Rush, Eclipse Select from their league? I highly doubt it.

Last edited:
It was my understanding that the girls will have to play one or the other. They can't do both. That will be a hard pill to swallow for some of our top athletes. If you select the top 9 from the age group, you now have 4 elite girls not playing at all in any given game, or possibly receiving playing time every other year.

A lot of playing time will be lost. The DA will not be able to implement that THIS IS THE ONLY PATHWAY to the National team . To do so would be quite foolish, and that's counter-productive to being the best in world. Besides our women are/were great without D.A. . What is it actually going to improve?

It was my understanding that the girls will have to play one or the other. They can't do both. That will be a hard pill to swallow for some of our top athletes. If you select the top 9 from the age group, you now have 4 elite girls not playing at all in any given game, or possibly receiving playing time every other year.
And why I think you will see the YNT pool players and the next level of players below maybe current ODP team, ID2, and US Training Center players comprise the DA teams.

If I had a ulittle DD going through this now. I would take her to a club that has both league affiliations. I would then game the system and have her play U odd years with ECNL and U even years with DA. This way she gets maximum playtime and college exposure.

Last edited:
No scholarships for bench players

Let me clarify. I was told that ECNL will drop clubs who accept DA status. Ultimately there will be "ECNL clubs" and "DA clubs "
but both organizations will not co-exist I the same club. I agree with other posters, it doesn't seem feasible economically and it would likely create a massive shift of players. I can't imagine that ECNL would want to lose Blues, etc. but it might explain some of the choices that were made. Some of the clubs that you would have expected to see in the DA list will remain as ECNL clubs. I'm sure I'm wrong, but it's a interesting scenario to consider.

Let me clarify. I was told that ECNL will drop clubs who accept DA status. Ultimately there will be "ECNL clubs" and "DA clubs "
but both organizations will not co-exist I the same club. I agree with other posters, it doesn't seem feasible economically and it would likely create a massive shift of players. I can't imagine that ECNL would want to lose Blues, etc. but it might explain some of the choices that were made. Some of the clubs that you would have expected to see in the DA list will remain as ECNL clubs. I'm sure I'm wrong, but it's a interesting scenario to consider.

This is false

Back