What is your School Doing so far regarding sports?

The homeless population is in most cases, being housed in hotels, motels. Those who don't want to go have been given tents, hand sanitizer, soap and water and are being checked on. A lot of the homeless don't socialize as much as the general public. You don't see the homeless in gyms, hair salons, restaurants, bars, museums, movies, markets, car washes, barber shops, at protests, nail salons, should I go on?
I work in DTLA, so say they don’t socialize is a gross understatement to be honest. No they aren’t in bars, but they are in communities and wonder throughout their areas visiting each other, sharing needles, cigarettes and booze. I see it everyday.

Yes that's why I participated and referenced the challenges that have been brought up.

I even volunteer to help out with supplies and logistics in the mornings, if we all work together and pitch in it's doable but not easy and I don't think our school is going to be handle it without outside help.
That’s the government for ya.

I told my buddy in LA about what one of the newbies here told me about how he can refuse service to anyone he deems fit and can charge accordingly. Price gauging is illegal in California. He said to let everyone on here if you need a plumber in LA to PM me. His prices are the same as they were before Corona and he would never take advantage of a customer because he can. That is short term thinking ha said and a business killer, if you have to compete with other competitors.
With so many buddies why the hell are you here?

With so many buddies why the hell are you here?
I cant see them and most came from my religious days in church. I have friends from my naughty days, church days and my free thinker days. I came here to share my feelings and they come with personal life stories. Plus, I love all of you. i do not want problems and violence. i love EOTL, Messy, Outlaw, you and all the whole gang. Fact is back and so is Lastman. I was super competitive but I really do care that kids don;t get messed over by selfish adults. Were all back where it started a year ago when i came on here. I also forgive all of you. I hope you can forgive me too. I love you all!!! Chase the light and be the light. Darkness is not happy as we can all see.

The situation in March was a totally unexpected event. Nobody was prepared for what happened.

That's what happened in the majority of cases, but I note that's not true in the minority. I picked up on what was going to happen in mid February (got clued in by one of the private schools my son was applying to when the question came up from a parent, and I called a doctor at work the next day)....the next day (the same day I cancelled our spring break trip) I demanded a meeting with DYS's principal and we had a plan in place ready to go....I missed the school closures by 4 days but it was enough to push up our time table so we only missed 1 day of instruction. Of the private middle schools my son applied to 2/3 were ready to go day 1 and one's rollout was shaky and the plan needed to be adjusted at spring break but they were on top of it and off and running (my alma matter, a Catholic school, still was planning a welcome reception the day before the schools shut down). Las Virgenes Unified School District was also prepared and off and running. Our local public school district (despite my having tipped them and was ignored and despite the CDC warning) had no plan in place. Then for weeks they said they couldn't offer instruction because of equality concerns and the government hadn't given them an instructions on how to handle IEPs and ESL (following the theme of experts lying to us to keep us in line).

So it's not like you couldn't see this coming. People did. If you are going to hold Trump to account for the horrible response, you have to equally hold the school and state leadership to account, because the CDC was issuing warning signals about this and it was enough for some people to put together plans relatively quickly. The statement nobody was prepared for what happened is patently on its face false.

That's what happened in the majority of cases, but I note that's not true in the minority. I picked up on what was going to happen in mid February (got clued in by one of the private schools my son was applying to when the question came up from a parent, and I called a doctor at work the next day)....the next day (the same day I cancelled our spring break trip) I demanded a meeting with DYS's principal and we had a plan in place ready to go....I missed the school closures by 4 days but it was enough to push up our time table so we only missed 1 day of instruction. Of the private middle schools my son applied to 2/3 were ready to go day 1 and one's rollout was shaky and the plan needed to be adjusted at spring break but they were on top of it and off and running (my alma matter, a Catholic school, still was planning a welcome reception the day before the schools shut down). Las Virgenes Unified School District was also prepared and off and running. Our local public school district (despite my having tipped them and was ignored and despite the CDC warning) had no plan in place. Then for weeks they said they couldn't offer instruction because of equality concerns and the government hadn't given them an instructions on how to handle IEPs and ESL (following the theme of experts lying to us to keep us in line).

So it's not like you couldn't see this coming. People did. If you are going to hold Trump to account for the horrible response, you have to equally hold the school and state leadership to account, because the CDC was issuing warning signals about this and it was enough for some people to put together plans relatively quickly. The statement nobody was prepared for what happened is patently on its face false.
Every business owner I know ((I know a few Sherrif)) had to figure out how to open. X here and X there and then open. Wear a mask and innovate. I know many schools that had a plan and I know some unified ones who had a different plan all along. It's simple is as simple is.......

As we prepare to go into the fall semester, we are looking for ways to improve our children's education through distance learning as this seems to be the only choice. Although our schools and teachers put lots of efforts forwards, I didn't see great results. They are looking for feedback as to how to improve in order to better assist students. What are your schools doing that is making it successful in the distance learning program for junior high and high school students?

I think I have a new business model.
I am going to set up a big screen at our local park. Kids can bring their own chair and do their school work at the park. I'll mark off 6 foot boundaries in each direction. $10 per kid, per day.

Then as soon as the session has ended, all of the kids can pile into a car and go to a restaurant for lunch together. I bet I could even get a discount and/or kickback from local restaurants for suggesting kids eat there.

Our company never quit working as we make parts for a lot of different industries, including for medical beds and ventilators. We staggered our start times, have 5 different lunch hours, two people per table with distance between them all at lunch, keep 6 ft minimum distance work spaces, require masks when inside of that (most people wear them all day). Added a number of hand sanitizing stations, kept departments from mingling with other departments when possible. Added full time janitor to clean lunch areas, restrooms, etc. Also allowed a few to work from home where possible. When someone starts feeling ill they go home, out 2 weeks, get tested, test and sick leave paid by company. Sadly due to the slow down of the economy we have laid off 10% of the work force and cut hours down to 7 instead of 8. But we figure out a way to keep going.

I really felt they could have made it safe for teachers and have students show up at school if parents wanted them to go to school.

As we prepare to go into the fall semester, we are looking for ways to improve our children's education through distance learning as this seems to be the only choice. Although our schools and teachers put lots of efforts forwards, I didn't see great results. They are looking for feedback as to how to improve in order to better assist students. What are your schools doing that is making it successful in the distance learning program for junior high and high school students?
I don't have all the answers, but I can share what worked extremely well for one of our kids. It really came down to discipline from both the kids and the teachers. When you work or study from home, you invariably slack off just a bit (speaking for myself). So the more "routines" you have the better. This is what my kid's elementary school teacher did during spring:

-She makes the kids wake up and meet at 8am everyday
-During every zoom session, everyone's camera needs to be on. No voice-only call in your pajamas
-The 8am session runs for 90 minutes. The class is then broken up into two groups. Group 1 starts at 9:30am while group 2 starts at 11am. Each group works on a daily assignment while the other group is in session.
-In the afternoon, the whole class meets together again and finishes at 2:45pm, just like in-person school.
-There is homework and a requirement to read 60 to 90 minutes every night.

Both my kid and the teacher did more work online than in-person learning. In comparison, my neighbors' kid with a different teacher finished everything within one hour each day. But that's nothing new. Whether it's online or in-person, if you are fortunate enough to get a good teacher, it's all good.

Best of luck.

I don't have all the answers, but I can share what worked extremely well for one of our kids. It really came down to discipline from both the kids and the teachers. When you work or study from home, you invariably slack off just a bit (speaking for myself). So the more "routines" you have the better. This is what my kid's elementary school teacher did during spring:

-She makes the kids wake up and meet at 8am everyday
-During every zoom session, everyone's camera needs to be on. No voice-only call in your pajamas
-The 8am session runs for 90 minutes. The class is then broken up into two groups. Group 1 starts at 9:30am while group 2 starts at 11am. Each group works on a daily assignment while the other group is in session.
-In the afternoon, the whole class meets together again and finishes at 2:45pm, just like in-person school.
-There is homework and a requirement to read 60 to 90 minutes every night.
If
Both my kid and the teacher did more work online than in-person learning. In comparison, my neighbors' kid with a different teacher finished everything within one hour each day. But that's nothing new. Whether it's online or in-person, if you are fortunate enough to get a good teacher, it's all good.

Best of luck.

This is similar to what my kid's private school did (didn't need to break into groups because there were only 18 kids in the class). If anything, he pulled in a longer day. Our public schools though a good 25% of middle schoolers had no in person instruction whatsoever....just sent home busy work and an hour of office hours. The issue is the schools don't seem to have the power to order the unions to do even live online instruction nor have they rolled out the training to do so, setting up a trainwreck for the fall.

This is similar to what my kid's private school did (didn't need to break into groups because there were only 18 kids in the class). If anything, he pulled in a longer day. Our public schools though a good 25% of middle schoolers had no in person instruction whatsoever....just sent home busy work and an hour of office hours. The issue is the schools don't seem to have the power to order the unions to do even live online instruction nor have they rolled out the training to do so, setting up a trainwreck for the fall.

The real problem was that teachers were told we could not hold synchronous online courses. Students were also not held accountable for the learning or the work (do no harm grading promise). If teachers did try to hold students accountable then the kids came up with excuses....working, no internet, had to watch the kids. Some learned, some did not. Some teachers gave up. Can you blame them?

Things will hopefully be better. Students will be held accountable. Teachers will be held accountable. The good teachers are already working hours a day to make it better.

The real problem was that teachers were told we could not hold synchronous online courses. Students were also not held accountable for the learning or the work (do no harm grading promise). If teachers did try to hold students accountable then the kids came up with excuses....working, no internet, had to watch the kids. Some learned, some did not. Some teachers gave up. Can you blame them?

Things will hopefully be better. Students will be held accountable. Teachers will be held accountable. The good teachers are already working hours a day to make it better.

Doubt they will. The next hill the union will die on will be grade equity (if kids are 3 to room in a 1 room apartment, how can you hold them to account?) as well as teacher accountability (we got no training even though it's already July, because there aren't enough online learning "experts" to go around), Even in our private school DYS was constantly complaining about 2 girls in his class that whenever they were called on their internet mysterously went out. Also there's very little you can do to police exams.

At least one school district in OC is giving parents options. Irvine USD just announced they will have three options for Elementary (virtual, hybrid, traditional), two options for middle/high schools (virtual and hybrid), and traditional for special ed for all ages.

A school bus will also take you straight to the OCGP afterward for soccer practices. :) J/K

Work from home and school at home is not an easy combination.
I work from home, but will typically meet with client around So Cal several times per week. From San Diego to LA. Haven't been to an in-person meeting since mid-February
My wife works from home and would travel overnight a bit. She will also typically have calls/meetings late due to working with people in Europe and Asia. She's not been to an in-person meeting since mid-February
When kids where in school- we figured out a way to get them to school and to try and be home for them after school. Those 7 hours while it was just the 2 of us in the house were productive work hours.
Then the kids would get home - 1 would have soccer practice and the other would be home. The next day 1 had dance, while the other was home. While they were home, my wife or I could help with homework. It was a bit hectic, but manageable. And we could get a tutor when too busy or the HS math homework was beyond our capabilities.
When everyone got sent home from school in March - it was complete mayhem around the house.
"Mom, my 8:30 am zoom call isn't working."(While I'm on a call with a customer)
"What's wrong with our internet?"(While I'm talking with my boss)
"My computer isn't charged." (While I'm in the middle of writing a proposal)
"It's time for lunch. Can you get my sandwich?" (While I'm scrambling to close a deal that determines how much we can afford to eat next month)
I understand that these are 1st world problems and it can be much, much worse.

I can't imagine how hard it would be for a single parent home or a home with more children in it. Let alone not having access to proper technology. Or living in a house with less rooms than you have people

Work from home and school at home is not an easy combination.
I work from home, but will typically meet with client around So Cal several times per week. From San Diego to LA. Haven't been to an in-person meeting since mid-February
My wife works from home and would travel overnight a bit. She will also typically have calls/meetings late due to working with people in Europe and Asia. She's not been to an in-person meeting since mid-February
When kids where in school- we figured out a way to get them to school and to try and be home for them after school. Those 7 hours while it was just the 2 of us in the house were productive work hours.
Then the kids would get home - 1 would have soccer practice and the other would be home. The next day 1 had dance, while the other was home. While they were home, my wife or I could help with homework. It was a bit hectic, but manageable. And we could get a tutor when too busy or the HS math homework was beyond our capabilities.
When everyone got sent home from school in March - it was complete mayhem around the house.
"Mom, my 8:30 am zoom call isn't working."(While I'm on a call with a customer)
"What's wrong with our internet?"(While I'm talking with my boss)
"My computer isn't charged." (While I'm in the middle of writing a proposal)
"It's time for lunch. Can you get my sandwich?" (While I'm scrambling to close a deal that determines how much we can afford to eat next month)
I understand that these are 1st world problems and it can be much, much worse.

I can't imagine how hard it would be for a single parent home or a home with more children in it. Let alone not having access to proper technology. Or living in a house with less rooms than you have people
You need to go to a nearby hotel and steal one of those Do Not Disturb hanger. I use that in my home office whenever I'm on a call, and kids know not to bother me when the sign is up.

You need to go to a nearby hotel and steal one of those Do Not Disturb hanger. I use that in my home office whenever I'm on a call, and kids know not to bother me when the sign is up.
You have better children or you raised them better. We have a door closed/open policy and it's not working. We also breed strong voice box children.

How are the teachers retaining attention or getting children engaged during zooms for 3-4 hour sessions?

How are the teachers retaining attention or getting children engaged during zooms for 3-4 hour sessions?

They aren't. Even in my kid's high performing elementary school, in a class where 1/2 the children are gifted and the other 1/2 the kids are at least above average intelligence and 4 of the kids where regularly sent to CLC or Kumon after school for more schooling after regular school days, the teachers had a hard time. My son brought home the math medal this year....before the lockdowns he was ranked 4th in his class even though he was pulling an A (but barely).....his explanation for why he got the math medal: "I didn't give my teacher any crap and I paid attention all the time". Given he's ADHD, I couldn't have been prouder.

The parents at our school rebelled about 2 weeks in that the kids were doing too much....a few of them on top of the homework and the lockdown stress apparently broke down.

They aren't. Even in my kid's high performing elementary school, in a class where 1/2 the children are gifted and the other 1/2 the kids are at least above average intelligence and 4 of the kids where regularly sent to CLC or Kumon after school for more schooling after regular school days, the teachers had a hard time. My son brought home the math medal this year....before the lockdowns he was ranked 4th in his class even though he was pulling an A (but barely).....his explanation for why he got the math medal: "I didn't give my teacher any crap and I paid attention all the time". Given he's ADHD, I couldn't have been prouder.

The parents at our school rebelled about 2 weeks in that the kids were doing too much....a few of them on top of the homework and the lockdown stress apparently broke down.
Grace T., Quick question. My wife works w/ ADHD kid and she thinks she's noticed those guys generally doing better working remote than when they were in class. Have noticed the same - or not so much - with your dude?

Grace T., Quick question. My wife works w/ ADHD kid and she thinks she's noticed those guys generally doing better working remote than when they were in class. Have noticed the same - or not so much - with your dude?

I actually think there's something to this. My son and his girlfriend are both ADHD. He's normally on a non-stimulant, with a stimulant boast for school only. During remote he didn't need the stimulant. His girlfriend was going into things ranked 3rd in the class. Based on her 4th quarter grades she finished valedictorian. The kid that occupied the top spot is incredibly smart (9 and 8s on his ISEE) but I believe is autistic. He had a horrible time with the remote learning and lost out on both valedictorian and the math medal. However, my son's bestie is also ADHD and in his school in our local public school system there was no live classes (only busy work and 1 hour face to face with the English and Math teachers)...but for grade protection he would have failed and the teacher reamed out my friend...blaming his performance on his parents for not stepping up during the emergency (both of whom work) and not taking their kid's school work seriously (it ended in a shouting match with the teacher and was fought out in our local paper through a series of letters to the editor).

The key is whether they can self-regulate and turn the assignments in on time (my son's case....he actually owes that discipline to his GK training), or whether their parents or teacher are there to push and regulate them (the girlfriend's case).

Back