Virginia Tech Lawsuit

Supposedly two others players didn't kneel and they didn't lose playing time. My best guess is the law firm that represents the school felt it was easier to just settle then have it go to trial.

Supposedly two others players didn't kneel and they didn't lose playing time. My best guess is the law firm that represents the school felt it was easier to just settle then have it go to trial.

The sheer number of players who were present at the time who signed the letter supporting Chugger and refuting the plaintiff is also compelling. So too is Chugger's statement, since you never see anyone with a brain and a lawyer set themselves up for a defamation lawsuit after settling a case. Probably the most compelling piece of information, though, is that Virginia Tech did not discipline him at all.

She played over 1600 min in 2018 and about the same in 2019. After the first game of 2020 where she played 90 minutes, she only played in two games after that for a total of 35 min between those two games. Her level of play dropped so badly that after playing almost every minute of every game for 2 years she suddenly sucked? I'm not sure that explanation supports what happened.

I don't see how you can support Kaepernick's right to kneel without also supporting Hening's right to not kneel. Or vice versa. This is a pure freedom of speech question, and they both have that right.

I don’t think anyone here said her not kneeling was a problem. Did I miss something? Kinda douchy to not join your teammates in a good cause, but I support her right.

Probably got same advice from Gio’s parents on how to deal with playing time issues. Introspection? Nah, blame something else

I don’t think anyone here said her not kneeling was a problem. Did I miss something? Kinda douchy to not join your teammates in a good cause, but I support her right. (oh good!)

Probably got same advice from Gio’s parents on how to deal with playing time issues. Introspection? Nah, blame something else
Soccer is Trojan Horse Dad!!!
Pay to play or no play
Obey or no play

No kneel, no play
No mask, no play
No jab, no play
No jab #2, no play
No boosters, no play
No fully jabbed, no play
You do as we say and you can play :(
Sad to see a sport hijacked but it is the worlds most popular sport so like I sad many times, soccer will one day be used to bring healing and unity back to ALL people of ALL colors and all races. This is how it will work for those interested in helping. Kids come first. Poor, blind, lame next. Widows & Elderly 3rd and then the women. Sorry healthy man, were last in whose life matters most when it comes to protecting and helping the most vulnerable.

1673356249337.png

I don’t think anyone here said her not kneeling was a problem. Did I miss something? Kinda douchy to not join your teammates in a good cause, but I support her right.

You can make the same argument about Kap's lack of playing time.

I don't believe it in his case, either. Both seem to be pretty simple examples of retaliation for making the wrong political statement.

I don't believe it in his case, either. Both seem to be pretty simple examples of retaliation for making the wrong political statement.
It cuts both ways

It cuts both ways
The difference is the nfl is a private entity so the first amendment doesn’t apply. Virginia tech is a state school so it does. That’s the entire argument behind the Twitter files: Twitter is allowed to censor whoever it wants but things change if the government starts influencing twitters policies (they are arguing over what causes that line to be crossed)

It survived summary judgment which would have been a huge red flag for the litigators. Damages are a little light because 1983 damages can be difficult to prove up. She would have had to have shown her professional career or reputation was somehow materially injured…unless she’s for sure going pro that’s really speculative.

The difference is the nfl is a private entity so the first amendment doesn’t apply. Virginia tech is a state school so it does. That’s the entire argument behind the Twitter files: Twitter is allowed to censor whoever it wants but things change if the government starts influencing twitters policies (they are arguing over what causes that line to be crossed)

It survived summary judgment which would have been a huge red flag for the litigators. Damages are a little light because 1983 damages can be difficult to prove up. She would have had to have shown her professional career or reputation was somehow materially injured…unless she’s for sure going pro that’s really speculative.
Thanks for the chat Grace T. What I mean is we need to get all politics, religion, sexual likes and dislikes, sex attraction and deep desires of ones must intimate and private fantasies out of the great game and also take out race and forcing students to be fully jabbed to enter and or play sports out of the game. All this needs to be 100% out of sport, moo! Let sport just be sport and 100% a stand alone and just reported on the game itself. The starters, the rosters, the bench, the coach and the program. Nothing more and nothing less. Stats are always good. My heart goes out to all the young athletes who have to submit to what most of the team and coach wants them to do, even though it might go against the players faith, conscious or just might not be something a player wants to be involved with. Pay to play is not always about paying money to play, sometimes one has to pay another way in order to be eligible.

Why then didn't the coach retaliate against the others who did not kneel?

"You're being a problem. Here is some money. Don't let the screen door hit you (etc)."

"You're being a problem. Here is some money. Don't let the screen door hit you (etc)."
$100,000 problem per player can add up if others feel they were punished with less play time for taking a minority stand. The pressure to do what coach, players and 99% of the parents expect can be hard on "some" players.

who are the other players that did not kneel? Maybe they fell into place later and didn't provide the same type of opposition or weren't vocal about it - who knows. And just because the coach has a lot of public supporters and the AD did not "punish" him it doesn't mean her rights weren't violated. There are plenty of situations where players have serious complaints about problems but attorneys often don't take those cases. There was a reason this lawsuit was settled for a significant amount.

my two cents...$100K isn't F.U. walk away money. $25K or less would be for a joke case without any legal merit.

she claims he berated her in the locker room at halftime of that game. There are 20+ witnesses to that. If he didn't, he'd have 20+ players to come to his defense.

most likely case, she was underperforming on the field and/or in practice, he was annoyed by that, then also the kneeling thing furthered his disappointment and broke the camel's back. In these situations, there's usually more than one thing going on.

Regardless of your stance to kneel or not kneel, sounds like another soccer coach who doesn't know how to approach player issues/problems professionally. Give credit to this young adult player. It takes a lot of courage to stand up for what you believe in and pursue it legally and publicly, regardless of what political side of the fence the issue falls.

my two cents...$100K isn't F.U. walk away money. $25K or less would be for a joke case without any legal merit.

she claims he berated her in the locker room at halftime of that game. There are 20+ witnesses to that. If he didn't, he'd have 20+ players to come to his defense.

most likely case, she was underperforming on the field and/or in practice, he was annoyed by that, then also the kneeling thing furthered his disappointment and broke the camel's back. In these situations, there's usually more than one thing going on.

Regardless of your stance to kneel or not kneel, sounds like another soccer coach who doesn't know how to approach player issues/problems professionally. Give credit to this young adult player. It takes a lot of courage to stand up for what you believe in and pursue it legally and publicly, regardless of what political side of the fence the issue falls.

Agree. This isn't the first time something questionable has come up with this guy. Where there is smoke, there is fire.

who are the other players that did not kneel? Maybe they fell into place later and didn't provide the same type of opposition or weren't vocal about it - who knows. And just because the coach has a lot of public supporters and the AD did not "punish" him it doesn't mean her rights weren't violated. There are plenty of situations where players have serious complaints about problems but attorneys often don't take those cases. There was a reason this lawsuit was settled for a significant amount.

Two of the three others finished among the top four in minutes that season (Johnson and Steigerwald) and the third was a freshman whose playing time increased from none during the infamous UVA game. Notably, Steigerwald complained to the coach coming off at the half that Karen, uh Kiersten, was "bitching and moaning" and "doing her own thing", which is exactly what the plaintiff claims the coach told her at half time.

Notably, Kiersten was the cause of the first goal in that she failed to hold the line, keeping a UVA player onside for an easy goal. She was probably responsible for the second goal in that she didn't track and get in front of the goal scorer on a corner. Her play leading to the third goal was absolutely abysmal. She jogged back instead of closing down the winger, and then she just turned her head and back away for the cross, which led to an absolute gimme.

Back