Time to Play

How will we deal with not having enough ICU beds to treat the most ill? If we just look at the increase rate over the last week in ICU cases in Orange County, we will reach capacity in about 9 weeks for licensed ICU beds. As far as hospital beds in total, if we keep increasing at the rate we have in the last 2 weeks, we start reaching some serious capacity concerns in October. What options do we have then? What do you think the State or county will do then? Go to another county where they are also experiencing increasing rates? Can we slow the spread....yes. Wear a mask in every day life when social distancing can't be accomplished. Recent studies show it. All of the people refusing to do it are contributing to a most certain shut down again at some level.

I just want the kids to get back out before they start various levels of shut down again. The kids being outside with all of the safeguards is pretty low risk of contracting the illness.

View attachment 7878
By the way here is the hospital ICU usage in CAL since the beginning of this.

Total cases keep climbing...but ICU usage remains flat.

2020-06-24_0847.png

We are not going to run out of beds.

Even in the states hit the hardest (NY, NJ) where a substantial portion of all deaths have occurred never ran out of beds.
The news is getting gnarly again. We did have a lot of protesting all over the country the last few weeks, plus everyone has been out and about. Seems like the caution flag is out and we should move slowly, wear mask and live life still but watch the numbers and learn from the numbers. Politicians will always find a good spin on any numbers.......

The news is getting gnarly again. We did have a lot of protesting all over the country the last few weeks, plus everyone has been out and about. Seems like the caution flag is out and we should move slowly, wear mask and live life still but watch the numbers and learn from the numbers. Politicians will always find a good spin on any numbers.......
The News is a ridiculous source...go with data.

Exactly, why mass restrictive policy based on a voluntary 45% effective vaccine, if one is found at all?

You may do whatever you want, but don't expect those who are responsible for the well-being of more than just your family to make policy based on your wishful thinking.

The News is a ridiculous source...go with data.
Foxie news this morning had that "Alert news" thing and it's kinda of scary back ground news. Stock numbers on the right, negative 600 pts, CDC numbers of this and that and more of this. TX, CA, AZ and now FL getting more cases. I think free pick up games is the way to go maybe.

[
Another chart of hospital bed usage since this started. You can see the url in the image. Calmatters.org

Arizona ICU bed use is at 88%, and growing. 12% more, and you’ll start asking LA and SD to take them.

Arizona covid deaths are up, too. 79 yesterday.

Hope you all listened to your governor and started wearing a mask in public. He’s right.

ICU cases increased 13% last week and 7.0% in one day yesterday. FYI...flat is a straight line when looking at a chart. I know the chart below is blurry but I believe you can see ICU beds have not remained flat. View attachment 7883

All I know is COVID-19 is not going away and there is no quick fix. Might never be one like the flu that changes ever year with new vaccines.

When in public spaces or settings sometimes we might have to do things or take precautions we won't in private, some of us where already in that habit. I don't particularly agree with some of the restrictions even if there erroring on the side of caution but that's one of givebacks when you out in the public where not everyone is on the same page. However, as citizens we can let our voices be heard from the politicians & health officials who are making guidelines for us.

There is no going back to way things used to be, done gone. The future is always different so let's make the best of that and make the adjustments best we can to enjoy as many things as we can safely.

Sweden followed a relaxed response to the covid-19 infection, while their immediate neighbors (Norway, Denmark, and FInland) were more restrictive than most states in the USA. Just recently Sweden's neighbors closed their borders with Sweden to most traffic. This graph may explain why.

[

Arizona ICU bed use is at 88%, and growing. 12% more, and you’ll start asking LA and SD to take them.

Arizona covid deaths are up, too. 79 yesterday.

Hope you all listened to your governor and started wearing a mask in public. He’s right.
Speaking of listening to those "government officials" you so willingly subjugate to...this is where we're at.

Sweden followed a relaxed response to the covid-19 infection, while their immediate neighbors (Norway, Denmark, and FInland) were more restrictive than most states in the USA. Just recently Sweden's neighbors closed their borders with Sweden to most traffic. This graph may explain why.

Now do NY and NJ vs....say, FL and CA.

All I know is COVID-19 is not going away and there is no quick fix. Might never be one like the flu that changes ever year with new vaccines.

When in public spaces or settings sometimes we might have to do things or take precautions we won't in private, some of us where already in that habit. I don't particularly agree with some of the restrictions even if there erroring on the side of caution but that's one of givebacks when you out in the public where not everyone is on the same page. However, as citizens we can let our voices be heard from the politicians & health officials who are making guidelines for us.

There is no going back to way things used to be, done gone. The future is always different so let's make the best of that and make the adjustments best we can to enjoy as many things as we can safely.
Well said...I have scratched my head at some of the choices the politicians have made that are not consistent with the risk. One thing is definitely backed in RECENT studies and in fact history from 102 years ago....masks slow the spread and can prevent future shutdowns due to lack of hospital capacity. 102 years ago it was Northern California that was refusing to wear masks and Southern California did. Northern California was hit much harder. If I remember correctly they were hit 30% harder. (I looked at the history article 2 months ago) Right now Northern California is doing much better than Southern California where the freedom fighters for not wearing a mask (with same arguments as in 1918) are in full force fighting it every step of the way. They are going to fight us back into shut down. Philadelphia is doing great. They are fining businesses where anyone is found not wearing a mask. Probably the cemetery near by with 100s of thousands of people that died in 1918 probably helps them understand they need to head the warnings since they were ignored in 1918.

In the new normal for my family, I am managing based on risk so that we can still live our life. No indoor stuff.

Well said...I have scratched my head at some of the choices the politicians have made that are not consistent with the risk. One thing is definitely backed in RECENT studies and in fact history from 102 years ago....masks slow the spread and can prevent future shutdowns due to lack of hospital capacity. 102 years ago it was Northern California that was refusing to wear masks and Southern California did. Northern California was hit much harder. If I remember correctly they were hit 30% harder. (I looked at the history article 2 months ago) Right now Northern California is doing much better than Southern California where the freedom fighters for not wearing a mask (with same arguments as in 1918) are in full force fighting it every step of the way. They are going to fight us back into shut down. Philadelphia is doing great. They are fining businesses where anyone is found not wearing a mask. Probably the cemetery near by with 100s of thousands of people that died in 1918 probably helps them understand they need to head the warnings since they were ignored in 1918.

In the new normal for my family, I am managing based on risk so that we can still live our life. No indoor stuff.
So who should be fined...the one not wearing the mask or the one who comes with six feet of them?

I understand your point...do you understand mine?

So who should be fined...the one not wearing the mask or the one who comes with six feet of them?

I understand your point...do you understand mine?
Not really.

Limit gatherings and wear a mask seems easy enough to do. Why fight it? The mask is the least annoying of all the things happening right now.

Lets look at why New York never ran out of beds....THEY SHUT DOWN. Which is the point.
Are you serious? NY was a complete clusterf%#@. Forcing nursing homes to take COVID patients. Significantly reduced subway service so that essential workers were forced to travel on insanely crowded subway cars. Deciding not to clean subway cars until the beginning of May. 25% loss in hospital beds and the worst hospitals in the country due to budget shortfalls that led to the significant reduction in Medicaid payments to hospitals. Multiple accounts from nurses of NY doctors actually killing Covid patients.

We have to stop with the doomsday predictions. They've all been wrong and have led to disastrous decisions. The fear of shortage of beds led to NY and NJ to force nursing homes to take Covid patients despite the fact that the Comfort and Javitz Center were barely used. Coumo's gross exaggeration of the need for ventilators made the ventilator the preferred treatment protocol instead of therapeutics according to some nurses. (Once your on a ventilator the odds of survival drop dramatically).

NY and NJ deaths per capita are nearly 10 times greater that the average of the rest of the nation, yet they didn't run out of beds, icu beds or ventilators.

Not really.

Limit gatherings and wear a mask seems easy enough to do. Why fight it? The mask is the least annoying of all the things happening right now.
Why fight it?

Well for starters: Because its...my freedoms, my decisions, my parenting, my kids mental and physical health. Not to mention "government officials and experts" absurd randomness, hypocrisy and petty politics directly impacting said above reasons.

Why subjugate to it?

Back