Surf - Play or Else

Kids all over the country are gaining a long term competitive advantage over So Cal players. 45 states have been playing youth sports through the pandemic. We are not. That is a problem if your kid is a top level player wanting to play in college.
Honestly my kid has improved more this year than last year. 3X a week training with a keeper coach, plus 2X a week practice with her team. Yes, she is missing game experience, but the repetitions she is getting beats anything she did last year. Add two more inches of height, an extra 5-10 yards on her kicks and lastly no injuries still leaves her in a strong position going forward. Keep your kid in shape, get your touches, just be ready for late spring games.

I agree with that. No question my kid has made the most of the break.. doing a bunch of dribbling moves like she never used to work on. (I forget all the names...cruyf , Maradona, cross overs, step overs, helicopter, Tobin Heath’s small format drills, indoor games with the boys, training and now just hanging out on the training ground, and avoiding the erratic, questionable quality of high school soccer (at least till March) has definitely made her a stronger, more confident player. We’ll see how it transfers when they start full size games..

So what local Orders follows you to another state. Interesting. Let me ask anyone this. What virus scenario sounds most likely to be true
A. If you stay in your house and your room you will never get the virus
B. If you stay in your city, less chance of catching virus it in another city
C. If you leave your county and walk in another county to buy clothes after Xmas special, your more likely to catch the Rona then if you shop in your own county
D. If you go to another state and play soccer, your more likely to catch the Rona in that state then shopping at The Grove in your state
E. Were all getting played
F. Were all in one big FH matrix
Just by going to another state for the express purpose of playing in a tournament you are violating the Regional Stay at Home Order and the CDPH Youth Sports guidelines. US Club Soccer has said you must abide by your local rules even if you leave the state, but has done nothing to enforce this. That was just a move to insulate themselves from liability. If you don't recognize the authority of the Health Department then I guess no rules are being violated in your opinion. The club and the coaches are engaging in potential ethical violations by violating the orders. They are picking and choosing what regulations to follow because they feel their business is being harmed by the rules. That's why it will be interesting to see if CDPH and the County Health Departments choose to enforce the rules that they put in place. They may be satisfied that only a few clubs decide to disregard the rules and travel out of state to watered down tournaments and do nothing. Will Norcal Premier or Cal South or any of the other governing bodies take action against the clubs?

The clubs that are going ( from CA) are telling the members that rules don't apply to them. My particular beef is with the clubs for taking advantage of the fact that other clubs are obeying the rules. Then they will say " look at us, we cared so much about the players that we went to out of state tournaments when other clubs didn't have the courage to help the players". The reality is that they have so little respect for the players and their families as well as the rest of the soccer community that they disregarded the rules that everyone else is being held to. It makes you wonder what ethical lines they will cross. In the end US Club Soccer has protected themselves Surf Sports has protected themselves by offering refunds to anyone that is prohibited from attending due to State or Local Mandates. The Counties have protected themselves by issuing mandates and the CDPH has protected the state by issuing their mandates. I wonder if any of the Covid Waivers the clubs had parents sign would even hold up due to the clubs violating the mandates. That leaves the clubs and the coaches exposed and gives the parents and players one place to turn in the event that something goes wrong.

In the end all that matters for now is that Arsenal beat Chelsea 3-1. There should be no arguing about that.

We have some great friends and their kids are taking it hard now. Sports was cancelled in March so all the Spring sports got axed and they will get axed again to lose their second year of fun. Jrs who are now Srs are really SOL that play Spring sports. I had a phone call with those in the know and socal is not playing anything until summer. I wish I had better news.
My son is a Senior and is on the verge of missing 1 1/3 years of school. The crazy thing is that the football team can engage in conditioning on campus every day but the same kids who are seniors can't go to campus for Auto Shop (a classroom with roll up doors making it similar to dining outdoors but they would be able to wear a mask the whole time) twice a week. As a result Auto Shop takes place in our driveway every day. If they are going to cancel Football they ought to just cancel it and stop stringing the kids along. I don't see how kids that have scholarships are going to risk playing in the Spring.

Just by going to another state for the express purpose of playing in a tournament you are violating the Regional Stay at Home Order and the CDPH Youth Sports guidelines. US Club Soccer has said you must abide by your local rules even if you leave the state, but has done nothing to enforce this. That was just a move to insulate themselves from liability. If you don't recognize the authority of the Health Department then I guess no rules are being violated in your opinion. The club and the coaches are engaging in potential ethical violations by violating the orders. They are picking and choosing what regulations to follow because they feel their business is being harmed by the rules. That's why it will be interesting to see if CDPH and the County Health Departments choose to enforce the rules that they put in place. They may be satisfied that only a few clubs decide to disregard the rules and travel out of state to watered down tournaments and do nothing. Will Norcal Premier or Cal South or any of the other governing bodies take action against the clubs?

The clubs that are going ( from CA) are telling the members that rules don't apply to them. My particular beef is with the clubs for taking advantage of the fact that other clubs are obeying the rules. Then they will say " look at us, we cared so much about the players that we went to out of state tournaments when other clubs didn't have the courage to help the players". The reality is that they have so little respect for the players and their families as well as the rest of the soccer community that they disregarded the rules that everyone else is being held to. It makes you wonder what ethical lines they will cross. In the end US Club Soccer has protected themselves Surf Sports has protected themselves by offering refunds to anyone that is prohibited from attending due to State or Local Mandates. The Counties have protected themselves by issuing mandates and the CDPH has protected the state by issuing their mandates. I wonder if any of the Covid Waivers the clubs had parents sign would even hold up due to the clubs violating the mandates. That leaves the clubs and the coaches exposed and gives the parents and players one place to turn in the event that something goes wrong.

In the end all that matters for now is that Arsenal beat Chelsea 3-1. There should be no arguing about that.

The Rule makers are not following the Science.

My son is a Senior and is on the verge of missing 1 1/3 years of school. The crazy thing is that the football team can engage in conditioning on campus every day but the same kids who are seniors can't go to campus for Auto Shop (a classroom with roll up doors making it similar to dining outdoors but they would be able to wear a mask the whole time) twice a week. As a result Auto Shop takes place in our driveway every day. If they are going to cancel Football they ought to just cancel it and stop stringing the kids along. I don't see how kids that have scholarships are going to risk playing in the Spring.
I agree. Only the kids who ball for the love of the game want to play.

My D’s ECNL team (based in MA) played 7 out of their 8 fall games, all on the road in NH, CT & NY, plus a 4 game tournament in CT. The MA restrictions were over the top. Played teams from MA, CT, NY & NJ. Plus 8-10 scrimmages. Parents wore masks on the sideline. No one got sick. Didn’t have a single kid skip even 1 game because of Covid.

All the other top 2007 teams played. I know parents on all of them. Same thing.

The damage being done to kids who aren’t being allowed to play is far more of an issue as far as I’m concerned.

Any public health officer that says you can’t transact any business with another or in another state is lawless in their own way. Sue them they have no ability to win.

We have some great friends and their kids are taking it hard now. Sports was cancelled in March so all the Spring sports got axed and they will get axed again to lose their second year of fun. Jrs who are now Srs are really SOL that play Spring sports. I had a phone call with those in the know and socal is not playing anything until summer. I wish I had better news.
What will happen to the SW ECNL games; all move to zona and Nevada? Or will ecnl just cancel out the SW conference?

I might agree with you for 15 and older but I'm not convinced for 14 and under.

Not just for sports, but I feel really bad for HS seniors and college freshman. They've been robbed of many experiences and opportunities based upon some very narrow minded decisions.

Hopefully SoCals reputation for producing great players will overcome any potential competitive loss.
College coaches are not going to shun CA talent, for now. Many of the "top" talent have been playing, just not as much. Talent is as talent does. Will some be rusty and not in game shape, sure. Will they survive, yes. Does the play moratorium hurt players who weren't far into their "process"? Absolutely. I feel for those kids who were on the verge of establishing a relationship with coaches and then the pandemic hit.

College freshman have certainly been robbed of their first year. Many schools are extending eligibility for Freshman and Seniors. The collateral damage is to incoming 21s that have to deal with a fuller roster and more competition than normal.

Kids all over the country are gaining a long term competitive advantage over So Cal players. 45 states have been playing youth sports through the pandemic. We are not. That is a problem if your kid is a top level player wanting to play in college.

That’s weird. That’s almost the exact same number of states with higher Covid mortality rates.

What will happen to the SW ECNL games; all move to zona and Nevada? Or will ecnl just cancel out the SW conference?
Most likely cancelled based on my connections chiefs. HS soccer we might have some hope, but only OC, SD and IE. LA CIF will not play is what I;m hearing.

I have thought about this quite a bit and talked to my kid about it.

I think it depends what you mean by competitive advantage (will come back to this.)

Lets say this ultimately ends up being a year (March 2020 - March 2021).

So for a year, kids where they didn't shut down got to play more. And the kids out here haven't been totally shut down. Depending on your club and tolerance they still have been able to play quite a bit....but definitely a significant amount less.

Lets say that it was an all clear in April, and then you ran a big national tournament immediately. No doubt, the teams from CA would not do as well as those that had been playing fully during the shutdown (although the CA teams are generally better, so they would still likely win a lot.) I would submit that within 3 months of the re-start, this dip in competitiveness from the CA teams would be corrected.

So back to the competitive advantage argument that I have heard a lot of people make. Yes, in the short-term, there will be some catching up to do.

Beyond that, it is totally insignificant. If you are talking about being able to play at a top D1 program (you brought up college in your post) - this break will have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Those athletes have characteristics that have nothing to do with playing a bit less over a year. They are more characterized by soccer IQ, speed, strength, natural soccer skill, mental and physical toughness, etc. Yes - they may have a little more rust - but if they have these attributes, they will have the ability to play at a top school.

If they do not have these attributes, no amount of extra training or game play that they missed during the more strict lockdown in CA is going to help them gain a competitive advantage.

So yes, maybe the kids in Omaha were able to keep playing....but it won't magically make them more competitive.
Some kids don't have the time to play catch up. What if your kid is a sophomore, junior or senior? I am not talking about U littles

Definitely feel bad for all of our kids. It's nerve wracking for sure.

One other thing to consider is many of those 45 states have winters. Those states have been at a disadvantage forever. California kids can play year round. It's one of the many reasons why people like living here. Futsal/indoor I'm sure is an option for some in other states, but that's almost an entirely different game and kids usually just use it to hone in their technical skill.
Cold weather states play year round, too. Go look at the ECNL schedules. The midwest region plays in the winter. They have full field dome covered soccer fields. Not a problem for them at all.

Back