Surf - Play or Else

After seeing that every SD Surf youngers team is registered for their out-of-state tournament, I want to give huge props to any Surf parents who made the difficult decision to stay home. No doubt there was pressure to support the tournament organizers, support the club, support your coaches, and support your teammates. And, maybe the hardest thing to resist of all...you put FOMO in check too. Playing time, trophies, adulation---these are all hard things to pass on and only the strongest parents are able to do so.

Your child's recreational youth soccer club should never force you into a position to decide between breaking public health orders and playing the beautiful game--especially for families with kids who have 5+ years of playing in front of them. I'm sure you were told that it was completely ok and acceptable for anyone not to go, but we all know how that goes over with the over-zealous parents from the team and a coach who is part of the "soccer is life" culture.

So, don't second guess yourself when the social media posts and photos of goals and victories begin. You are impressive! And your child knows it too.

Let the kids play is all I can say!!! Good luck to all the little players heading to AZ to get a chance at The Cup. I thought I had more Cups then any others and now I know I dont. Bring home the Cup in each age group socal. "Should I stay or should I go?" No right or wrong families. Do what's best for your family, Great job Canada for helping start the division of soccer in America!!!

C
After seeing that every SD Surf youngers team is registered for their out-of-state tournament, I want to give huge props to any Surf parents who made the difficult decision to stay home. No doubt there was pressure to support the tournament organizers, support the club, support your coaches, and support your teammates. And, maybe the hardest thing to resist of all...you put FOMO in check too. Playing time, trophies, adulation---these are all hard things to pass on and only the strongest parents are able to do so.

Your child's recreational youth soccer club should never force you into a position to decide between breaking public health orders and playing the beautiful game--especially for families with kids who have 5+ years of playing in front of them. I'm sure you were told that it was completely ok and acceptable for anyone not to go, but we all know how that goes over with the over-zealous parents from the team and a coach who is part of the "soccer is life" culture.

So, don't second guess yourself when the social media posts and photos of goals and victories begin. You are impressive! And your child knows it too.

Couldn’t agree with you more. It is up to each family to decide what is best for their own family. But we all know too well the pressures of being the lone family that decides differently. The shame and judgement goes both ways.

I am just curious about this. Surf is pushing to have this tournament so they can collect all the tournament fees and the revenue from the event but they have decided it is too unsafe to even send their own teams? Pretty outrageous honestly if that is what is happening.

Some see it like this guy's video. I can go either way. I'm just confessing that when my goat was 10 or 11, I dreamed of walking though the best of the best tunnel and see all the greats who played before. We all dont see this virus the same. Let the kids play and let's top charging.

I can 100% guarantee that there are coaches who don't want to be going either but are pressured by the club. The words "I don't care about the results" are going to be awfully popular the next few days.
It's fraternity of brotherhood so I'm sure "1" coach already told you he feels some pressure to go and risk his life all so a few kids can play soccer. Tell your open & honest coach to speak up and be a man and say, "nope, too much risk fellas, I need to skip this one." I bet you $100, that way more coaches and i mean over 75% are just find with going and actually want the kids to play and have fun outdoors playing a soccer game that no one will die from if they follow all the protocols. Mask, pre covid test, temperature reading and go to hotel for rest and food after every game. These players & their families are being safer then the locals, trust me. We did this and it worked out just find. Relax Face, relax coach.

The decision was simplified for some clubs such as MVLA. According to news articles they were threatened with fines if they violate their local orders. It seems to be on the County Health Departments to enforce the rules. San Diego County may have given Surf assurances that they would not be fined for violating the orders. Imagine owning a small business that was fined for serving food outdoors and then reading that the local soccer club violated the stay at home mandate with no consequences. No issues with Surf having the tournament as is their right in Arizona. The entities at risk are the individual clubs that are sending teams out of state violating the Regional Stay at Home Order and the Youth Sports Guidelines.

By the same token don't be shamed into not going by Nosey Nick or Judgy Janet who know nothing about your family. I'm sure that many have gone through the pro and cons a hundred times. It is very unfortunate that someone would feel pressure to go from the club particularly for fear of not going would impact their kids standing with the team. Sadly some coaches and clubs exploit this. We've given way too much power to the Clubs to influence our decision making.

I don't have a problem if a family goes or doesn't go. Either way be safe and own it. Personally I'm beginning to wonder what's the point of trying to force games at this point (unless I needed game film). I can't imagine that games will resume in SoCal until June so we're all in the same boat. I don't see anyone gaining a long term competitive advantage. Of course, some kids live for soccer and I can't blame those families for wanting their kids to play.

By the same token don't be shamed into not going by Nosey Nick or Judgy Janet who know nothing about your family. I'm sure that many have gone through the pro and cons a hundred times. It is very unfortunate that someone would feel pressure to go from the club particularly for fear of not going would impact their kids standing with the team. Sadly some coaches and clubs exploit this. We've given way too much power to the Clubs to influence our decision making.

I don't have a problem if a family goes or doesn't go. Either way be safe and own it. Personally I'm beginning to wonder what's the point of trying to force games at this point (unless I needed game film). I can't imagine that games will resume in SoCal until June so we're all in the same boat. I don't see anyone gaining a long term competitive advantage. Of course, some kids live for soccer and I can't blame those families for wanting their kids to play.
Kids all over the country are gaining a long term competitive advantage over So Cal players. 45 states have been playing youth sports through the pandemic. We are not. That is a problem if your kid is a top level player wanting to play in college.

The decision was simplified for some clubs such as MVLA. According to news articles they were threatened with fines if they violate their local orders. It seems to be on the County Health Departments to enforce the rules. San Diego County may have given Surf assurances that they would not be fined for violating the orders. Imagine owning a small business that was fined for serving food outdoors and then reading that the local soccer club violated the stay at home mandate with no consequences. No issues with Surf having the tournament as is their right in Arizona. The entities at risk are the individual clubs that are sending teams out of state violating the Regional Stay at Home Order and the Youth Sports Guidelines.
So what local Orders follows you to another state. Interesting. Let me ask anyone this. What virus scenario sounds most likely to be true
A. If you stay in your house and your room you will never get the virus
B. If you stay in your city, less chance of catching virus it in another city
C. If you leave your county and walk in another county to buy clothes after Xmas special, your more likely to catch the Rona then if you shop in your own county
D. If you go to another state and play soccer, your more likely to catch the Rona in that state then shopping at The Grove in your state
E. Were all getting played
F. Were all in one big FH matrix

Kids all over the country are gaining a long term competitive advantage over So Cal players. 45 states have been playing youth sports through the pandemic. We are not. That is a problem if your kid is a top level player wanting to play in college.
I might agree with you for 15 and older but I'm not convinced for 14 and under.

Not just for sports, but I feel really bad for HS seniors and college freshman. They've been robbed of many experiences and opportunities based upon some very narrow minded decisions.

Hopefully SoCals reputation for producing great players will overcome any potential competitive loss.

Let the kids play is all I can say!!! Good luck to all the little players heading to AZ to get a chance at The Cup. I thought I had more Cups then any others and now I know I dont. Bring home the Cup in each age group socal. "Should I stay or should I go?" No right or wrong families. Do what's best for your family, Great job Canada for helping start the division of soccer in America!!!

Best indecision anthem ever by the best London punks ever.

Not just for sports, but I feel really bad for HS seniors and college freshman. They've been robbed of many experiences and opportunities based upon some very narrow minded decisions.

Hopefully SoCals reputation for producing great players will overcome any potential competitive loss.
We have some great friends and their kids are taking it hard now. Sports was cancelled in March so all the Spring sports got axed and they will get axed again to lose their second year of fun. Jrs who are now Srs are really SOL that play Spring sports. I had a phone call with those in the know and socal is not playing anything until summer. I wish I had better news.

Hopefully SoCals reputation for producing great players will overcome any potential competitive loss

I have thought about this quite a bit and talked to my kid about it.

I think it depends what you mean by competitive advantage (will come back to this.)

Lets say this ultimately ends up being a year (March 2020 - March 2021).

So for a year, kids where they didn't shut down got to play more. And the kids out here haven't been totally shut down. Depending on your club and tolerance they still have been able to play quite a bit....but definitely a significant amount less.

Lets say that it was an all clear in April, and then you ran a big national tournament immediately. No doubt, the teams from CA would not do as well as those that had been playing fully during the shutdown (although the CA teams are generally better, so they would still likely win a lot.) I would submit that within 3 months of the re-start, this dip in competitiveness from the CA teams would be corrected.

So back to the competitive advantage argument that I have heard a lot of people make. Yes, in the short-term, there will be some catching up to do.

Beyond that, it is totally insignificant. If you are talking about being able to play at a top D1 program (you brought up college in your post) - this break will have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Those athletes have characteristics that have nothing to do with playing a bit less over a year. They are more characterized by soccer IQ, speed, strength, natural soccer skill, mental and physical toughness, etc. Yes - they may have a little more rust - but if they have these attributes, they will have the ability to play at a top school.

If they do not have these attributes, no amount of extra training or game play that they missed during the more strict lockdown in CA is going to help them gain a competitive advantage.

So yes, maybe the kids in Omaha were able to keep playing....but it won't magically make them more competitive.

Definitely feel bad for all of our kids. It's nerve wracking for sure.

One other thing to consider is many of those 45 states have winters. Those states have been at a disadvantage forever. California kids can play year round. It's one of the many reasons why people like living here. Futsal/indoor I'm sure is an option for some in other states, but that's almost an entirely different game and kids usually just use it to hone in their technical skill.

Oh nonsense.

The difficult part is for current Seniors still hoping to get on at a D1 school and needing to put out some more game tape. There are definitely spots available at lots of schools you just may have to alter where you wanted to go (not a good idea unless you have a couple of schools on the same level). Anyone one other than those players will be fine. The current Juniors have probably been in contact with schools and have built relationships with coaches and once play resumes again will be back in the hunt for spots on college rosters. Like someone previously said other states have been at the "competitive disadvantage" for years with limited months of playing and those kids still made college rosters.

Back