Strikers ECNL rumors

I not sure which "Saint's" your referring to but financial need can be a consideration on some private school acceptance.

Some players that attend these school can afford them but won't neccassily be selected for acceptance unless they have some other redeeming qualities, high marks, referrals, etc.

Whatever the methods are the coaches and Schools have a habit of attraction a demographic or skill sets they are looking for.

MLS-next is a perfect example of high school public vs closed private schools inequities that try to compete with one and other.

If the private schools only accepted people that could afford the fees they would not be the powehouses they are now. The MLS-NEXT people reconciled or reckon this and promote lower cost or no cost soccer so more people can participate but at the same time prohibit HS except for a certain privilege class which is contrary to that mission.

I'm saying they aren't given financial aid b/c of soccer abilities which means there shouldn't be a waiver.

Waivers suck and super unfair and for the super rich. Let each child have a waiver of his and her choosing and let each family have the same choice of doing both and, just like the rich folks with all the connections. This is BS and Next is going to be the next league to fail. Dont go against or bet against HSS. I think it's just bad karma to do so and I wouldn't push bad luck like that. Heed the warning is, my MOO for the day!!!!!! The attack on a silly little High School Sport is insane and I'm quite alarmed with all the chips on folks shoulders lately. Nothing like a "chip off the old block" or "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

1619543088254.png

I'm saying they aren't given financial aid b/c of soccer abilities which means there shouldn't be a waiver.

Ah I get you in a roundabout way and all players should be given equal opportunities for education and sports.

Some organizations preach that but in reality they using finances to leverage or influence behind the scenes.

Yes I agree with you. After bring involved with an actual MLS academy for so long and seeing parents bash HS soccer and other leagues as if the MLS Next is a superior league when it's not and my kid plays in the league.
The current 2006 US Soccer Training center roster is made up of LAFC and Galaxy with a small sprinkle of non mls clubs. The national teams will always be MLS academy kids with one or two here or there. If your kid is U15 and up, playing with their age enjoy it and let the labels go.

Yes I agree with you. After bring involved with an actual MLS academy for so long and seeing parents bash HS soccer and other leagues as if the MLS Next is a superior league when it's not and my kid plays in the league.
The current 2006 US Soccer Training center roster is made up of LAFC and Galaxy with a small sprinkle of non mls clubs. The national teams will always be MLS academy kids with one or two here or there. If your kid is U15 and up, playing with their age enjoy it and let the labels go.
exactly!

I know a lot of _dads_ who _say_ their kid turned down DA to play HS...
My sophomore quit MLS Next to go play HS
He is having a real good time and playing vs mostly seniors
His team is young and he is carrying the weight for the team
At u15 he was at Galaxy DA and training 5days a week not much of social life with his school friends that live around our neighborhood. So When he asked me for my opinion about HS Soccer
I told him go ahead and enjoy it. We know the lévelos not that gear but seeing him out there
And having a great time can’t beat that
Plus my freshman son just got moved to varsity so he’ll be playing with his brother next 3 games. Priceless

Let's be honest, these "waivers" for the Saints kids aren't real waivers and Saints gives out scholarships based on financial need, not talent. They might be given so kids can play both as Saints and the club both want them, but it's all b.s.

And yes, the prohibition on HS is dumb. Somehow it's ok for GA girls to play, but not for MLS boys to play.

In my view, obtaining a waiver in order to play at a private school is evidence of an illegal athletic scholarship.

Rumor going around Stirkers boys are out the ECNL? Any truth?
Strikers girls ECNL should be dropped from the program Mijo. Never bring your dd to that club.
Rumors the program is a joke, players fed up with the lies, money grubbing taking as many players as they can get and politics. Bad coaching by C level clown cant even get his HS program right.
Pats or West Coast should take their place!

Strikers girls ECNL should be dropped from the program Mijo. Never bring your dd to that club.
Rumors the program is a joke, players fed up with the lies, money grubbing taking as many players as they can get and politics. Bad coaching by C level clown cant even get his HS program right.
Pats or West Coast should take their place!
are you talking about 08?

went through the roster of all the age groups of their ECNL girls team. Almost all of them have around 22 players. How does that work when you can only roster 18 players for each game?
I heard the 04 Strikers ECNL team has at least 22 players and yes, 4 girls have to sit out every game. Not sure how any parent would be ok with this. I had both of my daughters play for Legends and the 02 team last year had 18 players and my 04 team has 17 players. Lots of play time. That's what important at this age, play time. I have yet to see any Legends (main branch) that has more than 18 or so players. We played for West Coast ECNL a few years ago and it was 18 as well. I would assume anything more than 19 players is all about money.

slammers oldest team has 21 and LAFC slammers 24. what's the right number especially for kids prepping for college?

This is strikers first year in ECNL for girls. Their boys ECNL teams have around 18 players. Is it possible that the girls program can still improve?

Last edited:
This is strikers first year in ECNL for girls. Their boys ECNL teams have around 18 players. Is it possible that the girls program can still improve?
What do you mean by, “this is the Strikers first year in ECNL for girls?” The Club has been ECNL for years.

What do you mean by, “this is the Strikers first year in ECNL for girls?” The Club has been ECNL for years.
I am not too familiar with the ECNL history. But this is on their website:
In 2020, Strikers FC announced it will join the ECNL program for both boys and girls for the 2020-2021 along with other youth soccer clubs that were part of the former USSDA program.

In 2020, Strikers FC announced it will join the ECNL program for both boys and girls for the 2020-2021 along with other youth soccer clubs that were part of the former USSDA program.
That is a poorly worded announcement on the website. Easy to see how you could have read it the way that you did. Strikers has been a member of ECNL on the girls’ side for several years.

I see where you’re coming from and agree with soccer5210 that the announcement was misleading.

At the end of the day someone has to pay, either sponsorship (unlikely as someone pointed out), maybe tournaments can bridge the gap, or ultimately every other kid not on an "elite" program is paying an "elite" premium to subsidize the club.

I found this blog post interesting, The Corona Effect - Exposing The Insanity of "Elite" Leagues (developingthefuture.club) - basically "elite" is nothing more than a marketing message. The recent advent of the Elite Academy (for boys) seems to support that.

From what I can see locally in AZ, there are lots of announcements of girls going to college (ECNL has always been pay to play) but for the boys, there are very few college announcements and miniscule announcements of any boys "making it".

The soccerwire quote from the article is interesting (to me anyway), and I thought Pulisic didn't play DA as his dad figured he'd get more out of the team he was in but could be wrong on that.

"The most efficient and useful response I can offer is, where? Where are the players? [Marc Seber] named four American players that are playing at a high level in a world class league. Let’s run them down: Tyler Adams, Christian Pulisic, DeAndre Yedlin, Weston McKennie… Gio Reyna is yet to make his first team debut, but he looks like he’s on a Pulisic-like trajectory, possibly. Tim Weah has been injury racked, but he puts us in the half-dozen range, and this is 12 years of Development Academy play. Is this the ROI, is this the norm? I reserve the right to be under-impressed by this ROI. It’s approaching a 9-figure overall investment, maybe already past 9-figures if we look at what everybody has spent, with all the players in the DA trying to grow elite players over the last 12 years. And this is our ROI?- Charles Boehm, SoccerWire "

Every 2021 player but 1 who wants to play college on my son's u19ECNL team has there school commitments. They may not be the first choice and recruiting for 2021 boys was difficult with the limited number of scholarships, C19, dark period and the fifth year eligibility. We changed course early on and my son can not wait to move on.

Back